Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Turning my 1980's/early 90's commons into classics!

Comments

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    The 64 Giants set is definitely one of my favorites, so much so that I acquired an entire PSA set. All 60 cards have such stunning photography, with amazing color and focus. That set is definitely a worthy subject of your extreme talents. The Clemente that you've done is awesome! I certainly look forward to seeing what you do next.

I appreciate that! I'm itching to get to the Koufax from the Topps Giants....hopefully will get a chance to get that done before the end of 2017.

I cut baseball cards. Really. timcarrollart.com

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@saucywombat said:

@timcarrollart said:
    Here we go.....1987 Topps was the first cards I ever owned. 99% of this piece was made from cut '87 Topps. This was a commission and is unavailable.

This is stellar.

Would there be different results if say you had 500 1987 Topps Mookie Wilson cards to cut up?

Or is it possible with enough cards to create a Mookie Wilson fractal?

how big is this picture

• Options

@lawyer05 said:

@saucywombat said:

@timcarrollart said:
    Here we go.....1987 Topps was the first cards I ever owned. 99% of this piece was made from cut '87 Topps. This was a commission and is unavailable.

This is stellar.

Would there be different results if say you had 500 1987 Topps Mookie Wilson cards to cut up?

Or is it possible with enough cards to create a Mookie Wilson fractal?

how big is this picture

The Mookie is roughly 21"x29", give or take a quarter/half inch.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

So u dont paint anything ? u only go by the color of the card ?

• Options

@lawyer05 said:
    So u dont paint anything ? u only go by the color of the card ?

That is correct. With the 400-450K commons I have in the garage, there is literally no color I can't find (though some are tougher to match than others).

• Options

Another down.....
    1915 M101-5 Sporting News Babe Ruth; 15.5" x 28.75"; Cut A&G and Conlon Collection commons; Original Available.

• Options
    ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

Wow!! Awesome!!! Unbelievable job!!!! For some reason that is all I can think of, those four words, from the very first one that I seen that you put on the board to the very last one. I'm going to say it now "Wow!! Awesome!!! Unbelievable Job" for all of the next one's that you are making now and in the future because I know that will be all I can think of if I get to see them or not. Keep up the unbelievable art work you are doing with these. Whoever gets one are very lucky to have it!

• Options

@ParlousJoe said:
    Wow!! Awesome!!! Unbelievable job!!!! For some reason that is all I can think of, those four words, from the very first one that I seen that you put on the board to the very last one. I'm going to say it now "Wow!! Awesome!!! Unbelievable Job" for all of the next one's that you are making now and in the future because I know that will be all I can think of if I get to see them or not. Keep up the unbelievable art work you are doing with these. Whoever gets one are very lucky to have it!

Thank you for the kind words!

Here is a small section of the next commission I will finish:

• Options
    timcarrollarttimcarrollart Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

Another update on Steady Eddie:

• Options

Eddie is now finished. SOLD.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once again, just awesome! Thanks for sharing the pics along the way, as well as the finished product.

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    Once again, just awesome! Thanks for sharing the pics along the way, as well as the finished product.

Thank you for taking the time!

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Did you do the Phil Niekro jersey that is in Cooperstown? There was a picture of it in the Charleston paper the other day. looked like your work.

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

This is amazing. Love that the checklist cards are used for the All-Star rookie trophy.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy $#!+! I've seen this thread title popping up every now and then but never clicked on it. I thought "there's no way whatever is in there is actually any good" and just moved along. This stuff is outstanding. They are legit pieces of art. My most sincere compliments as well as gratitude for sharing the pictures and updates. I am amazed.

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Holy $#!+! I've seen this thread title popping up every now and then but never clicked on it. I thought "there's no way whatever is in there is actually any good" and just moved along. This stuff is outstanding. They are legit pieces of art. My most sincere compliments as well as gratitude for sharing the pictures and updates. I am amazed.

Arthur

Haha! This comment is making me grin ear to ear, and I'm just an innocent bystander with no ties whatsoever to the art pieces displayed. I can only imagine the pride felt by timcarrollart when he sees reactions like this! Indeed, there are some amazing pieces displayed here, and am thankful for the opportunity to view them. I can only imagine how many other people skip right over this thread with no idea what they're missing. Again, thank you, Tim, for sharing your work with us, and I look forward to any additional photos of past or current projects!

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

Admission - I just did the same thing today. These are absolutely incredible. How long does it take you to create one of these?!

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Tim, as I have said before, you are an AMAZING artist.

Cutting cards isn't the only way Tim makes masterpieces. This is from his Twitter account:

Tim Carroll‏ @timcarrollart Oct 18

OTD 40 yrs ago: With 3 HR in a WS game, "The Straw that Stirred the Drink" became MR. OCTOBER. This Reggie Jackson is made from cut straws.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

Tim ... I hope u don't mind me posting the other art you have made.

Tim Carroll‏ @timcarrollart Jul 25

OTD 1953: Walter Payton was born. With a nickname like "Sweetness", I used sugar and artificial sweetener packets to make this one.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

great stuff!! thanks for sharing I'm not on twitter

great artist truly remarkable.

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

@saucywombat said:
    Did you do the Phil Niekro jersey that is in Cooperstown? There was a picture of it in the Charleston paper the other day. looked like your work.

The Niekro jersey is not mine. I was told about it a couple years ago, and found that it belongs to a graphic designer in San Diego. Needless to say, I like what he does!:)

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

@lahmejoon said:
    Admission - I just did the same thing today. These are absolutely incredible. How long does it take you to create one of these?!

LOL, no worries! That just tells me I need to make my thread titles more inviting from now on. Thank you both for the kind words.....I once would only spend 35-40 hours on each piece, but in recent years its more like 55-70 (or more). I've found that the final result is exactly what I put into them.

@countdouglas said:
    Haha! This comment is making me grin ear to ear, and I'm just an innocent bystander with no ties whatsoever to the art pieces displayed. I can only imagine the pride felt by timcarrollart when he sees reactions like this! Indeed, there are some amazing pieces displayed here, and am thankful for the opportunity to view them. I can only imagine how many other people skip right over this thread with no idea what they're missing. Again, thank you, Tim, for sharing your work with us, and I look forward to any additional photos of past or current projects!

Always! The reactions are fuel to get back out in the studio and get something else done. I also love when clients contact me after receiving the framed originals. The labor of love can be seen and fully appreciated then, and those emails/texts/phone calls never disappoint either.

@Dboneesq said:
    Tim ... I hope u don't mind me posting the other art you have made.

NOT AT ALL!! Every single share is an opportunity for me to continue doing this for a living. Thank you!

• Options

Nice! Great work, once again!

• Options
    edited January 9, 2018 8:18AM

Finished with a commissioned 1948 Leaf Stan Musial RC.......should have 3-4 new pieces before the end of January!

• Options

First i am seeing of your art. Wow wow wow. Amazing job. Are pieces all cut to a certain size or does it vary?

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

These are the coolest thing that Ive seen in a long time. Unreal!

And congrats to you for turning your talent into a full-time job. Pretty awesome as well.

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options

@PmanFL said:
    First i am seeing of your art. Wow wow wow. Amazing job. Are pieces all cut to a certain size or does it vary?

Thank you! The pieces that make up the artwork vary drastically, and if you were referring to the artwork sizes themselves, they vary also. I do have specific sizes that I try to work within for modern-sized cards, and some of the tobacco/Goudey/Leaf issues also have specific sizes I stay close to. I scale the cards up, and then go from there. -Tim

@JKT said:
    These are the coolest thing that Ive seen in a long time. Unreal!

And congrats to you for turning your talent into a full-time job. Pretty awesome as well.

I appreciate the kind words!

• Options

Finished! 1938 Goudey Joe DiMaggio. This one measures just over 24" x 30". I made this one just for fun, and it will be available to the public.

• Options

Commissioned 1959 Topps Bob Gibson RC. The color contrast in the original card design made this one fun to work!

• Options

Once again, thanks for sharing! Great piece, as always!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geez that's really nice Tim.

Either a Gibson or 59T fan?

Mike
  • Options
    blee1blee1 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

Absolutely amazing!

Skips PSA Exchange
    Successful transactions with: yankeeno7, raiderguy10, Beck6, CDsNuts, DaveP01, Dboneesq, Elemenopeo, gameusedhoop, georgebailey2, Goldlabels, gstarling, justmichael, etc

Working on.........
    Tony Dorsett Master Set
    1977 Topps Mexican FB (raw)
    1957 Topps FB Set (raw or graded)
  • Options

@countdouglas said:
    Once again, thanks for sharing! Great piece, as always!

Thank you!

@Stone193 said:
    Geez that's really nice Tim.

Either a Gibson or 59T fan?

Thanks! Not particularly, but this was the second piece of a pair that was commissioned by a Cardinals fan. It was a great choice by him, as some cards lend themselves well to my art. This was definitely one of those times.

@blee1 said:
    Absolutely amazing!

Thank you!

• Options
    edited January 19, 2018 7:48AM

You're amazing. Do you ever have exhibits?

Arthur

ETA: Art exhibits, not the cards from the 1920s-1960s :)

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    You're amazing. Do you ever have exhibits?

Arthur

ETA: Art exhibits, not the cards from the 1920s-1960s :)

Thanks, Arthur! No solo exhibitions to date, but I hope to change that soon. I do occasionally work live at some of the larger hobby shows (National, Toronto Sports Expo), and I have also worked at an NHL All-Star FanFair. I finished pieces at each of those events and had completed work on display.

• Options

You really need to have an exhibit. Lord knows I've been to a hell of a lot of them by artists that were nowhere near as talented and original as you. Thanks as always for sharing your work here for us to enjoy.

Arthur

• Options

Tim,
    What else can I say that I have not said before. Your work is AMAZING! Thanks for sharing and keep producing those beautiful one of a kind pieces.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

Getting closer on this Matty portrait:

• Options

Commissioned 1954 Bowman Mantle complete! I'll be finishing the Mathewson and 54 Topps Ted Williams soon, as well as commissioned pieces of Wayne Gretzky, Draymond Green, Sidney Crosby, and Mario Lemieux.

• Options

Really nice Mantle, Tim.

What's the size?

Mike
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim,

I like all your pieces, but that Mantle is amazing!!! :+1::+1:

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

@Stone193 said:
    Really nice Mantle, Tim.

What's the size?

@divecchia said:
    Tim,

Donato

Thank you both! This one measures 21" x 29".

• Options

@timcarrollart said:

@Stone193 said:
    Really nice Mantle, Tim.

What's the size?

@divecchia said:
    Tim,

Donato

Holy crap! That's bigger than I thought. That's an impressive piece of artwork Tim.

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 said:

@timcarrollart said:

@Stone193 said:
    Really nice Mantle, Tim.

What's the size?

@divecchia said:
    Tim,

Donato

Holy crap! That's bigger than I thought. That's an impressive piece of artwork Tim.

Thank you! Being 100% cut cards, it's hard to get detail out of anything significantly smaller. I love working even larger.....I've had a couple pieces just shy of 4 feet.

• Options
    edited April 22, 2018 6:15PM

Just to put this "in perspective."

Super job Tim.

Mike
  • Options

Tim ... as I have said to you many times before ... AMAZING ARTWORK from an AMAZING ARTIST!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

Thank you both. I always appreciate the feedback of any variety, but the positive ones always make an artist feel tremendous. -Tim

• Options

Several commissions will be coming off the table in the next 2-3 months......but here's another scratched off the to-do list today. 1952 Tip Top Bread Mickey Mantle:

• Options

Very nice Tim - those are very rare and impossible in good condition.

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 said:
    Very nice Tim - those are very rare and impossible in good condition.

Absolutely. There were less than 10 graded as of a couple years ago....and the most recent PSA 1.5 sold for almost $30K (late 2016 or early 2017). I didn't expect the reaction I got from this when I posted it across my social media due to the obscurity of the card. It was sold within 4 hours to a guy that flashed (5) of the original Tip Top Mantles to me as he was buying it. Most were slabbed as Authentic, but there was a 1 in there.