Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Turning my 1980's/early 90's commons into classics!

Comments

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Paige is my favorite of yours so far. Great work!

• timcarrollarttimcarrollart Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

Thank you all!

@softparade said:
    Where can we put orders in? lol

How many cards do you think you use on average per pc?

Whenever you are ready, shoot me a DM or email with the card you are thinking about and I'll send over the commission details. When I first started a decade ago, I counted the amount of cards for each piece. I would estimate that 1500-1800 cards go into most, with some using a couple hundred more.

I cut baseball cards. Really. timcarrollart.com

• PorkinsPorkins Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Outstanding stuff, as always.

I know you might not be interested in showing exactly how it’s done, but I would really love to see a time lapse video on one of your pieces.

Thanks for sharing!

• Back to the grind! Here's my latest....a commissioned 1957 Topps Roberto Clemente. As I will do with all Clemente pieces from 57-69, I made the alteration of his first name from Bob to Roberto:

• mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Wow. The close ups really make me appreciate these much more. I was just picturing something two dimensional. Love that there's some texture. How many layers are there at the deepest point? It's incredible how tiny some of those card pieces are. Very impressive.

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973

@mrpeanut39 said:
    Wow. The close ups really make me appreciate these much more. I was just picturing something two dimensional. Love that there's some texture. How many layers are there at the deepest point? It's incredible how tiny some of those card pieces are. Very impressive.

Thank you! Although there aren't necessarily multiple layers, the varying thickness of the different card sets coupled with just a couple of layers certainly creates a fish-scaling effect that can only be appreciated in person. It's probably the biggest compliment I receive at events like the National: "Seeing pictures and viewing in-person are completely different experiences." Again....I appreciate your kind words. -Tim

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow Tim.

I watched Graig Kreindler appear to improve over the years and now it appears you're hitting a new high?

There have been a few people come here that do the same thing you do.

But.

You're now - for me - the "Rockwell" of card art. Well done buddy.

Mike
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

that is just stunning

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

Couple of commission pieces off the books!

This is a custom young Rickey Henderson, with the added Swingin' A's logo:

Here is a 1952 Star Cal Decals Mickey Mantle:

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

MY GOODNESS! You are talented! I can see these pieces of art selling for thousands some day! Move over Andy Warhol, there's a new sheriff in town!🖼

Another one down! 1952 Topps Jackie Robinson

Man, I love this thread. Another masterpiece! Beautiful.

Hiya Tim

How have you been? Have you been attending shows between the National?

Really nice job on the "decal" pack buddy.

I feel like I should buy it and try opening?

Mike

@Stone193 said:
    Hiya Tim

Hi Mike! All is great here. I will probably get back to doing more shows after the Chicago National this year, and I'm also excited at some of the possibilities the inclusion into the Baseball Hall has given me. That Star Cal Decal Mantle was a fun one to make, and I can't wait to also share the framing setup the client is working on - he's framing it up with several PSA copies of the card that he owns. Good hearing from you, and I look forward to seeing you at this year's National.

@timcarrollart said:

@Stone193 said:
    Hiya Tim

Hi Mike! All is great here. I will probably get back to doing more shows after the Chicago National this year, and I'm also excited at some of the possibilities the inclusion into the Baseball Hall has given me. That Star Cal Decal Mantle was a fun one to make, and I can't wait to also share the framing setup the client is working on - he's framing it up with several PSA copies of the card that he owns. Good hearing from you, and I look forward to seeing you at this year's National.

Thanx Tim - unfortunately not planning on attending this year. Will most likely attend the AC one next year.

Have you considered the Tristar in Houston? I think it'll be in Feb 2020. I'm planning to attend.

Good hearing from ya buddy.

Mike
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow I’m hoping to be in AC next year. Would be epic to meet some of you cats..

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

Finished with another commission. 1981 Topps George Brett:

I'm usually a vintage baseball guy, but stepped outside of that over the last few weeks to work this one. 29" x 34.5". Cut golf cards.

Some detail shots:

Another masterpiece! 🖼

I’m working on a full-blown PSA slab made entirely of cards that will be finished this fall (different card), but I have to share this setup a client just sent me. Having 4 of the 15 slabbed copies of this Star Cal Mantle attached to the work is just beautiful. I don’t have the exact measurements, but knowing how tall the art itself is, this one must be around 4 feet tall:

Back from the National! I really enjoyed getting to meet several of you while working in Chicago, and look forward to meeting many more next year in Atlantic City. I told members of the boards I would post my progress of the Trout that I was working on at the show - so here it is:

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely incredible every time I look at this thread.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

Hiya Tim

Sorry I missed you this year - I regret not being at the National.

Hopefully, will see you next year.

And yes - the Star-Cal is sweet.

Looking forward to seeing the completion of the Trout. That looks like the Seto Topps Living card.

Mike

@softparade said:
    Absolutely incredible every time I look at this thread.

Thank you!

@Stone193 said:
    Hiya Tim

Sorry I missed you this year - I regret not being at the National.

Hopefully, will see you next year.

And yes - the Star-Cal is sweet.

Looking forward to seeing the completion of the Trout. That looks like the Seto Topps Living card.

Hey Mike! Missed talking with you this year. Hope to see you in Atlantic City. Yep, this is a tribute to Seto as much as it is to Trout - the work she is doing right now is top notch. I joked at the Nationals that I believe she has found the secret to having 40 hour days with the way she is pumping out work!

10 years ago, I created a crude, concept T206 Wagner from cut baseball cards, which is what started me on this journey. I finally landed the opportunity to work the Wagner again, only this time I was able to give it the attention and skill set it deserves.

SOLD.

Ya did it justice Tim.

What are the dimensions?

Mike

@Stone193 said:
    Ya did it justice Tim.

What are the dimensions?

Thank you, Mike! This one is similar to the Mathewson you saw back at last year's National (just over 16" x 29" before framing).

Tim

edited August 28, 2019 1:32PM

Just looked at this month's SMR and Tim's in it.

Congratulations buddy.

I noticed you got that "avant garde look" going in the portrait.

Mike

@Stone193 said:
    Just looked at this month's SMR and Tim's in it.

Congratulations buddy.

I noticed you got that "avant garde look" going in the portrait.

Thanks, Mike! It's definitely a highlight for me to be spotlighted in SMR. Haha, I was forced to wear ties/dress slacks as a school teacher...so my current look is much more relaxed to say the least.

• Finished another. 1949 Bowman Jackie Robinson. Measures just under 25" x 30"...Also, if anyone is interested in reading that nice inclusion in SMR for this month's issue: https://www.psacard.com/articles/articleview/9948/artist-profile-tim-carroll-turning-sports-cards-into-modern-art

• jlvette50jlvette50 Posts: 328 ✭✭✭

Great piece as usual and great article Tim. Love your work, Keep it up! :)

Longoria Collector. Love the Longo!https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/player-sets/evan-longoria-master-set/alltimeset/90851 600+ PSA Graded 4,700+ unique Longoria cards scanned on TCDB 800+ different Longo autograph cards Jeff

• FInished with another commission - this one a 1984 Donruss Don Mattingly RC

• pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

@timcarrollart - I just received this print in the mail...it looks great!!!

Now...will PSA slab it? Maybe with Tim's auto on the back? Or green slab?

@pdub1819 said:
    @timcarrollart - I just received this print in the mail...it looks great!!!

Now...will PSA slab it? Maybe with Tim's auto on the back? Or green slab?

Thank you! That's a great question. I gave out about 500 signed 4x6" prints at the National this year, and several people were asking if any of the 3 major companies would slab them. If PSA does, I would love to see it!!

Commissioned 1914 Cracker Jack Christy Mathewson headed to the frameshop.
    This one measures approximately 29.5" x 22":

Tim

I finally finished the Trout I was working on at the National:

My latest 2 pieces:

Banksy's Girl With Balloon (30" x 40")

1958 Mission Orange Mickey Mantle:

Also, it was a great feeling to hear Baseball Hall of Fame curator John Odell's thoughts of the Koufax piece that is in the Shoebox Treasures exhibit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv9KhBFUfy4

Tim

• jlvette50jlvette50 Posts: 328 ✭✭✭

Fantastic work as always Tim! Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed the clip too. Pretty awesome stuff there!

Longoria Collector. Love the Longo!https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/player-sets/evan-longoria-master-set/alltimeset/90851 600+ PSA Graded 4,700+ unique Longoria cards scanned on TCDB 800+ different Longo autograph cards Jeff

• @jlvette50 said:
    Fantastic work as always Tim! Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed the clip too. Pretty awesome stuff there!

Thank you, Jeff!

Here is my latest finished commission....the 1910 E98 Honus Wagner. The owner of one of the Black Swamp Find beauties will be hanging this one on his wall:

• Last couple of pieces:

Ty Cobb Lucky 7 PSA 3.5 (full PSA slab/flip made from cut cards also):

1954 Topps Ted Williams #250:

• arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Something isn't right.

Is it just me or does every single one looked trimmed?

(Amazing as always)

• georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

Crack that Cobb, I think it has a shot at a straight 4.

The 54 Williams is incredible. Thank you for sharing.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the Banksy.

• erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

Great stuff. Love to see a time lapse of you making one.

• Being an art lover, card collector, and history buff, wow, your work speaks volumes to me. I'd love to own a piece, but I'm almost scared to ask. May I PM you?

Currently seeking 1975 Hostess panels
    Got one, two, more? Let me know!!

• NVM, just read it above.

Currently seeking 1975 Hostess panels
    Got one, two, more? Let me know!!