Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Turning my 1980's/early 90's commons into classics!

timcarrollarttimcarrollart Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone....I see some familiar names/ID's, so I hope I don't bore anyone with something they have seen before. Just wanted to share my work with fellow collectors. I cut common junk era cards (and newer), and I use the pieces to create larger images of other cards. Most pieces measure in the 20"x 28", 22" x 28", 20"x 30" area, with some of the tobacco or Goudey pieces being significantly different due to the size of the original cards. I've made almost 100 of these over the last 8 years. I use anywhere from 1,000 to 3,000 commons for each piece, so I'm doing my part in making the junk era not-so-junky, lol. Here are some of my most recent examples:

1911 T205 Addie Joss

1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey, Jr.

1953 Topps Mickey Mantle

1954 Bowman Carl Furillo

1952 Topps Mickey Mantle

1933 Goudey Babe Ruth

1888 N162 Goodwin King Kelly

1888 N162 Cap Anson

1951 Bowman Willie Mays

1909 Dockman & Sons Christy Mathewson

1934 Goudey Lou Gehrig

1988 Fleer Craig Biggio

1953 Topps Jackie Robinson

1972 Topps Nolan Ryan

1956 Topps Roberto Clemente

1954 Dan Dee Mickey Mantle

I cut baseball cards. Really. timcarrollart.com

Comments

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing!

• tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭

Wow ! You have some talent there my friend.

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic pieces! Surprisingly enough, the one that jumped out at me was the 88 Fleer Biggio as well as the 53 Mantle. Do you do commission work for others that may want something like this for their favorite player?

• Cory1976Cory1976 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭

That is amazing, very cool stuff :)

• @maddux69 said:
    Fantastic pieces! Surprisingly enough, the one that jumped out at me was the 88 Fleer Biggio as well as the 53 Mantle. Do you do commission work for others that may want something like this for their favorite player?

+1

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Masterpiece Theater there.

Looks like Donruss provides a lot of the pieces.

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    [email protected]
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Ridiculously cool. Absolutely amazing work.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm willing to bet a Jose Canseco collage piece made by you would find a welcome home with a certain mustached collector on this board ;)

• timcarrollarttimcarrollart Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone! I actually only own 3 of these at the moment (52 Mantle, 72 Ryan, 53 Jackie); the rest were either commissions or were sold. I started this as a fun little addition to collecting back in '09, but I made the switch from teaching elementary school to cutting cards as a career about 5 months ago (weird, right?) I really appreciate the kind words, and if anyone is interested in having one done, feel free to shoot me a DM. In the future, I hope to get some opinions from you all on certain pieces, especially with specifics in regards to stock, color, and printing issues with vintage cards. I like to make them look as authentic as possible. -Tim

• West22West22 Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

Wow, those are just incredible. Amazing work. I just put about 5,000 commons from 1990-1995 in the woodbox for kindling...so I feel like a bit of a loser haha.

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

Dude, those are absolutely amazing!! That is a talent for sure!!

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Exceptional work!

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those pieces are amazing!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

Simply awesome, great work! Here's hoping you don't only do HOFers, I would love a Mark Grace one.

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

Meh. I'd rather have a Tempy Moore sketch.

I kid, I kid! You do some very, very nice work!

@baz518 said:
    Simply awesome, great work! Here's hoping you don't only do HOFers, I would love a Mark Grace one.

Any and every player. One of my clients ordered the Dan Dee Mantle, then ordered the Carl Furillo shortly after. I've worked a 1990 UD John Olerud, a couple of pieces for some minor league players, a couple for Coastal Carolina University, and even a piece of a local Little League umpire.

Thanks again for all of the feedback...it is always nice when the work is appreciated by collectors.

Tim

• NICE!!!

looks like a lot of Donruss was used for these. Do you have a commons preference when doing your work?

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle

@ThoseBackPages said:
    NICE!!!

looks like a lot of Donruss was used for these. Do you have a commons preference when doing your work?

Thanks! I meant to asnswer this from an earlier poster, but yes...Donruss is used quite often. I enjoy working with the Donruss as much as any, I guess; the stock is so thin that my hands/wrists don't tire so quick. 1987 Topps, 1989 Topps, and 1992 Score are also heavily used. I only went with Upper Deck commons for the Griffey, and the 1992 Leaf Black Gold was a perfect fit for the T205 Joss.

• @timcarrollart said:

@ThoseBackPages said:
    NICE!!!

Thanks! I meant to asnswer this from an earlier poster, but yes...Donruss is used quite often. I enjoy working with the Donruss as much as any, I guess; the stock is so thin that my hands/wrists don't tire so quick. 1987 Topps, 1989 Topps, and 1992 Score are also heavily used. I only went with Upper Deck commons for the Griffey, and the 1992 Leaf Black Gold was a perfect fit for the T205 Joss.

That's awesome! Im guessing fresh Topps Vending Cases are the way to go. Much cheaper and no packaging! LOL

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Tim ... absolutely amazing pieces of art! Best of luck with your work. They are ALL amazing, but the '53 MICK and the Biggio could not get any better.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are simply amazing!!! :+1::+1:

That is a great talent you have there, turning worthless junk into pieces of art.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bravissimo!

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Fantastic. Great talent.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

Too spectacular for words!

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭

Beautiful stuff, very talented
    I'm amazed how life like they look

What is the price range and the size?

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

Super cool. What's the starting rate at something like this for those that are interested?

• Loyalty32Loyalty32 Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

Tim - It's been a while! Amazing work, as usual! I hope all is well!

Thanks
    Craig

Thanks again, all! Prices generally start around $2800 and go from there (some are much, much more). The amount of background noise, player pose, image clarity, and border simplicity play into the cost. I also only work a piece once, so iconic hobby pieces have a premium attached. 25% down reserves the card/piece, and I have each original professionally framed and shipped at no extra charge. If anyone is interested in getting on the waitlist and reserving a piece, just shoot me private message or email ([email protected]) for a quote.

@Loyalty32 said:
    Tim - It's been a while! Amazing work, as usual! I hope all is well!

Thanks
    Craig

Hey Craig! Great to hear from you. All is good here, and I hope the same is true for you and yours.

Tim

edited July 7, 2017 12:23PM

Here are some of the athletes/coaches with their pieces. Many were given as gifts, some were commissioned by the athletes themselves.

Coastal Carolina University Coach Gary Gilmore (given after career win #1,000):

Joe Torre (given by his friends at the Commissioner's Office for his HOF induction):

Miguel Cabrera (for the Tiger Foundation/Miguel Cabrera Foundation. Auctioned at their charity event):

Omar VIzquel (commissioned by Omar):

Mike Hessman (Minor League Baseball Al-Time HR King - commissioned by family for his retirement):

Lanny McDonald (commissioned by a fan, signed by McDonald):

Andre Dawson (commissioned by the Hawk, but no photo of him with work):

Wayne Gretzky (commissioned by Upper Deck, signed by Gretzky at the Hockey Hall of Fame during a private event):

• ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Seriously cool stuff. I would absolutely love a Yaz one...I'd have to figure out which card I like best, so I could hire to do it!

How big are these usually? It looks like they are about 16x20ish?

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭

I think these are very cool, and this type of work is painstaking, to achieve the fit and finish you have done. Kudos on your art and success! :)

• Holy crap these are amazing. Great work and attention to detail

• mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

What ^^^they^^^ said! :o

How difficult is it to make the faces? What sort of process do you use?

@ugaskidawg said:
    Seriously cool stuff. I would absolutely love a Yaz one...I'd have to figure out which card I like best, so I could hire to do it!

How big are these usually? It looks like they are about 16x20ish?

Most are in the 20"x 28" area, but the Goudey and tobacco cards are a little different depending on the original card. A Yaz RC or '61T would be fun.:)

@mlbfan2 said:
    What ^^^they^^^ said! :o

How difficult is it to make the faces? What sort of process do you use?

The faces are pretty tough - I usually wait until the end to complete them. I draw them out, then cut & glue. Nothing more, nothing less. I've done them live at a couple of events before (the '14 National, '14 Fall Toronto Expo, '15 NHL FanFair). The amount of times I have cut a piece, glued it down, ripped it off, and tried again is more than anyone can imagine, lol!

• ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

These are fantastic! I'd love to commission one some day. The hardest thing would be picking the best card!

• cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is some really good work!

• @new again collector said:

@timcarrollart said:
    I use anywhere from 1,000 to 3,000 commons for each piece, so I'm doing my part in making the junk era not-so-junky,

Surely you've worked through your own personal leftovers by now...so where do the commons you need come from? Do you have to buy them by the crate from dealers or something, or do you have some sort of donation program that keeps you well stocked??

I still have some cards from when I was a kid - my dad and I worked the card show circuit back in the early 90's. When I started cutting them a few years ago, friends gave would give me a 3500 ct box here, a 5K box there. When I moved to my current location 5 years ago, a gentlemen that once had a card shop called me up and told me he had some commons for me. I wasn't in any hurry because I figured it was a couple of boxes. He called me back and asked when I was coming, and also told me to arrive in my truck. He gave me almost 200K. I still have people I have met online send me cards from time to time, and occasionally I will even buy some if I need a particular set (like the 92 Leaf Gold, Topps Lineage, etc.) Through it all, I'm sitting on roughly 350 thousand cards at the moment.

• estangestang Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭

Wow - Amazing!

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
    edited July 7, 2017 12:24PM

Finished with a commissioned 1947 Bond Bread Jackie Robinson (batting/white sleeves). This one measures just larger than 19"x30". I used cut early-mid 90's Conlon cards for this piece:

• PADIdiverPADIdiver Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

Amazing work! I wish I could afford a piece but something to strive for! You've got a bright future ahead! All the best!!

Very outstanding art Tim. It's really perfect. Armed with an army of commons (you won't likely ever run out of source material), terrific old baseball cards to create in an oversized scale, and your innate talent and craftsmanship, the only thing that will stop you is if you choose to stop. I hope that never happens, I'd love to think of a commission myself! :smile:

• @originalisbest said:
    Very outstanding art Tim. It's really perfect. Armed with an army of commons (you won't likely ever run out of source material), terrific old baseball cards to create in an oversized scale, and your innate talent and craftsmanship, the only thing that will stop you is if you choose to stop. I hope that never happens, I'd love to think of a commission myself! :smile:

Thank you! I have had a wonderful time adding something unique to mancaves or office walls that compliment a collection (or centerpiece that is rarely taken from the safety deposit boxes). Absolutely, the amount of commons that I can cut my entire lifetime wouldn't put a dent in the amount available for destruction, and even the most basic of commons from certain sets (1954 Bowman, 1953 Topps, 1956 Topps come to mind) make for beautiful wall hangers. Let me know if I can work something for you! -Tim

• @PADIdiver said:
    Amazing work! I wish I could afford a piece but something to strive for! You've got a bright future ahead! All the best!!

Thank you! Appreciate the words of encouragement. -Tim

@timcarrollart said:

@originalisbest said:

Thank you! I have had a wonderful time adding something unique to mancaves or office walls that compliment a collection (or centerpiece that is rarely taken from the safety deposit boxes). Absolutely, the amount of commons that I can cut my entire lifetime wouldn't put a dent in the amount available for destruction, and even the most basic of commons from certain sets (1954 Bowman, 1953 Topps, 1956 Topps come to mind) make for beautiful wall hangers. Let me know if I can work something for you! -Tim

I will, and all compliments very sincerely meant! I think you've really made a niche for yourself in the arena of sports art. :smile:

edited March 30, 2017 7:40AM

Another commission in the books. Approximately 30"x21":

• 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭

Your work is amazing.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Yes very cool! I know a couple of people on this board who could be the likely person responsible for this great Ryan commission. Keep it up! As I have told you, one day would love to have you do a 1960 Yaz card for me...once I build up the funds for it!