Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I like it, but I don't think I would be happy with the pits/dots on the reverse of that one.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it was freshly rinsed?

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    Wow, I like it, but I don't think I would be happy with the pits/dots on the reverse of that one.

Not sure what that is, but it is pretty noticeable

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@illini420 said:

@jwitten said:

Not sure what that is, but it is pretty noticeable

I was taken by the music. I was waiting for a second coin to join in and,...thought I might have to look away, then the flip. Yikes. Personally, I'd put her back on the boat....unless this is a rare bubble version. ;-)

• Options

They weren't on the original photos. ??

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    burlguyburlguy Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

@mapleman said:
    My $100 Union and sixty dollar octagon arrived moments ago. The Oct. Is a beauty and frankly the Union has me just shaking my head in amazement. I missed the boat on a second but will have another. Did someone say proof?

I should have bought 10.... They are absolutely amazing. The depth of relief and the iconic nature will make it one of the most desirable strikes we have seen yet. It should be a US mint design.

Proofs next.... I need to drum up more money for a possible gold strike but I need 2-3 more months at the rate of me bleeding through green paper.

• Options

This is the poor man's version.... 2 ounce round. Under $40, too! I just wish they were limited mintage like these Carr's are.

• Options

@jwitten said:
    This is the poor man's version.... 2 ounce round. Under $40, too! I just wish they were limited mintage like these Carr's are.

Blasfamy @jwitten ! I will pretend you didn't post here in sacred grounds! :)

• Options

@burlguy said:

@mapleman said:

Proofs next.... I need to drum up more money for a possible gold strike but I need 2-3 more months at the rate of me bleeding through green paper.

Were proofs proposed? Musta been under the influence when announced... :/

• Options

@Akbeez said:

@burlguy said:

@mapleman said:

Were proofs proposed? Musta been under the influence when announced... :/

He said he may make proofs. Higher mintage, but cheaper.

• Options

Does it keep it suspended so the high points on the Obverse and Reverse dont get flattened with time and handling?

If so more details needed.....

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

@burlguy said:

Does it keep it suspended so the high points on the Obverse and Reverse dont get flattened with time and handling?

Time will tell, it is in a 50 mm capsule. Well half of a capsule. I did re-do it and no "COA" were damaged.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options

@Twobitcollector said:

@burlguy said:

Time will tell, it is in a 50 mm capsule. Well half of a capsule. I did re-do it and no "COA" were damaged.

Can you tell us what you ordered and where? I need to get mine in a slab asap. This is what ANACS will need and I want to be well informed when I call them next.

• Options

Aggg! My order seems to be awol -- ya'll are killin' me!

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Akbeez said:

For some reason Dan's shipments, though having a tracking number, don't show in my Informed Delivery list 90% of the time. Very odd. So when my post woman knocked on the door I wasn't expecting her. Had to hastily put on my pants and answer the door. (It's warm here so I'm usually in just my boxers) TMI ? Sorry.

Question: Do any of you usually get a tracking number for Dan's shipments?

• Options

HA! I'm retired so pants are optional (clothes for that matter) in this castle. TMI sorry too! Except I have to get my mail at a private POB. No -- didn't get any tracking with the order. "Flat-rate" was basically what the shipping email stated, assumed Priority. :)

• Options

My label says
    FIRST-CLASS PKG SVC - RTL
    USPS SIGNATURE TRACKING NUMBER
    Maybe Retail doesn't included addressee tracking only internal PO tracking. The PO is the original puzzle plaice.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2019 10:48PM

@Kudbegud said:

@Akbeez said:

For some reason Dan's shipments, though having a tracking number, don't show in my Informed Delivery list 90% of the time. Very odd. So when my post woman knocked on the door I wasn't expecting her. Had to hastily put on my pants and answer the door. (It's warm here so I'm usually in just my boxers) TMI ? Sorry.

Question: Do any of you usually get a tracking number for Dan's shipments?

Have you set your Preferences for Informed Delivery?

1. Login at usps.com.
    2. Click "Informed Delivery".
    3. Click "Settings" (located just below the upper right corner of the page).
    4. Click all the Updates.
    5. Enter your mobile phone number and email address.
    6. Click "I have read and agree to the Terms and Conditions for SMS Notifications."
    7. Click "Save Preferences."

You should then be automatically inundated with text & email notices for your incoming tracked shipments. But I don't guarantee it.

And periodically, you might have to re-enter your Preferences -- especially if you make any changes to your account.
    At least that's been my experience.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options

I normally get the email notice of all progress for all packages. Just not Dan's. Really Weird.

• Options

@burlguy said:

@Twobitcollector said:

@burlguy said:

Can you tell us what you ordered and where? I need to get mine in a slab asap. This is what ANACS will need and I want to be well informed when I call them next.

I contacted the seller a year or two ago about the 45 mm and larger slabs.
    The demand was so low they stopped making them.
    I have a couple of the 45 mm so I bought a drum type sanding thing, and made the hole bigger.
    The seller is in China and I purchased the off the bay.

coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options

My orders from Dan show on the "Informed Delivery" page.
    My latest 2 orders shipped the same day. 4/15/19
    The registered mail items have arrived the other one is bouncing around the east coast. It only has 2 of the Apollo Astronaut prototypes.
    I'm sure it will arrive sometime, maybe this week.

• Options

@burlguy said:

@Twobitcollector said:

@burlguy said:

There are these DIY slabs. The part that holds the coin can be cut to fit your coin. I've done it.
    https://ebay.com/itm/Pack-of-5-QUICKSLAB-Rectangular-Coin-Capsules-inner-diameter-28-mm/272441554673
    The 28 mm would give you the greatest flexibility to cut to size.
    Overall size: 3 3/8 x 2 3/8 x 3/8" (85 x 60 x 10 mm) so a 50 mm should fit. The thickness of the big 100 gram is 6 mm so that is with in the specs.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't get informed delivery notices to my PO Box for some reason,,,, I have asked at PO and on-line but can't get it solved.

I wish there was a way Dan could include the tracking info in his shipment e-mail. ;););)

GrandAm :)
  • Options

@Kudbegud said:

@burlguy said:

@Twobitcollector said:

@burlguy said:

There are these DIY slabs. The part that holds the coin can be cut to fit your coin. I've done it.
    https://ebay.com/itm/Pack-of-5-QUICKSLAB-Rectangular-Coin-Capsules-inner-diameter-28-mm/272441554673
    Overall size: 3 3/8 x 2 3/8 x 3/8" (85 x 60 x 10 mm) so a 50 mm should fit. The thickness of the big 100 gram is 6 mm so that is with in the specs.

The quick slabs are MUCH smaller then the slab I used.

• Options

@Twobitcollector said:

@Kudbegud said:

@burlguy said:

@Twobitcollector said:

@burlguy said:

Interesting. Do yours fit in a blue PCGS box?

• Options
    edited April 21, 2019 10:44PM

I found these that look like they will be a drop in fit. I have 5 on order. I ordered the 49mm but it appears that they are only able to accommodate 5mm in width vs the 6mm+ of the Carr $100 union.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Large-size-42mm-55mm-60mm-slabs-display-Grade-coin-holder-Storage-boxes-High-quality/32944136370.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6b674c4dvFeMKk

• Options
    edited April 21, 2019 9:38PM

@Kudbegud said:

...The thickness of the big 100 gram is 6 mm...

Where did you see the 6mm thickness for the 100 gram Union? I didn't find it on Dan's site.

I think it's closer to 5.5mm but I could be wrong.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    edited April 21, 2019 10:05PM

@COCollector said:

@Kudbegud said:

Where did you see the 6mm thickness for the 100 gram Union? I didn't find it on Dan's site.

I measured it on my example with my ultra precise plastic school 7 inch ruler. HaHaHa
    Let me try with a micrometer I have. I'l put the thinnest Mylar I have on the surfaces so as not to scratch it. Stand by.

edit to add
    With my Pittsburgh 6" Digital Calliper, accurate to ± 0.02 mm - at the rim = 5.88 mm

Edit again
    Sorry, I didn't zero it. New measurement = 6.16 mm at the rim.

• Options

@Kudbegud said:

@COCollector said:

@Kudbegud said:

I measured it on my example with my ultra precise plastic school 7 inch ruler. HaHaHa
    Let me try with a micrometer I have. I'l put the thinnest Mylar I have on the surfaces so as not to scratch it. Stand by.

edit to add
    With my Pittsburgh 6" Digital Calliper, accurate to ± 0.02 mm - at the rim = 5.88 mm

Thanks.

Now I'm wondering if the Y-50mm Airtite is a bit too snug in depth (5.49mm).

• Options

@burlguy said:
    I found these that look like they will be a drop in fit. I have 5 on order. I ordered the 49mm but it appears that they are only able to accommodate 5mm in width vs the 6mm+ of the Carr $100 union.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Large-size-42mm-55mm-60mm-slabs-display-Grade-coin-holder-Storage-boxes-High-quality/32944136370.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6b674c4dvFeMKk

Thanks, I'll bookmark that.
    Also let me say that the larger slab is NOT deep enough. I used scotch tape to join the sides.
    I did'n want to use crazy glue, as it might cause the token to tone.
    And besides what do you want from an old man.

• Options

@Kudbegud said:

@Twobitcollector said:

@Kudbegud said:

@burlguy said:

@Twobitcollector said:

@burlguy said:

Interesting. Do yours fit in a blue PCGS box?

I don't use those.
    I think they would as they fit my Eagle Pages fine.

• Options

@Twobitcollector said:

@burlguy said:

Also let me say that the larger slab is NOT deep enough. I used scotch tape to join the sides.

The Scotch Tape would probably work on the Y-50mm Airtite. Keep us informed.

• Options

@Kudbegud said:

@Twobitcollector said:

@burlguy said:

The Scotch Tape would probably work on the Y-50mm Airtite. Keep us informed.

• Options

I was checking out some info on over struck coin and I spotted this.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I asked him and he said these were done on contract (??) and likely would be available soon. I know I am a buyer...Not crazy about the KCOCT and Merlin coins, but like the overstrikes...

I too got my 100D. St. Gaudens; overall I like it but think that it must be a challenge to do the forearms. The rest of the obverse Ms. Liberty head and torso great, but the only suggestions would be for Lib to be holding an olive branch possibly. Dan, don't get upset but Lib's arms look a bit phocomelic (sort of like thalidomide induced).

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

Does that mean they are all going to the "contract" and will not be available for purchase by the regular method? Possible purchase from the contract holder?

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is the only detail I know - maybe on his site, I hope. He says they are commissioned and that ?? they may possibly be purchased from him.

Not sure if I like the ad hoc ordering of strike overs for those of us trying to collect his issues...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2019 2:45PM

@Twobitcollector said:
    I was checking out some info on over struck coin and I spotted this.

Nice catch!

That 1985 looks different than Dan's Proof ASE overstrikes.

That is, maybe the contract is only for bullion (uncirculated) 1985 overstrikes?

And maybe, Dan will offer a Proof 1985 ASE on his website. I'd buy one.

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two different style of holders for the 3-oz. $100.

• Options

@PipestonePete said:

Would you give the details? Like which brand and part number for each please. It looks like they fit nicely. Close all the way?

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:

@PipestonePete said:

Would you give the details? Like which brand and part number for each please. It looks like they fit nicely. Close all the way?

The Airtites came from Amazon...see attached link. These work very well. The 50mm holder without the gasket I had ordered some time ago on Ebay. They work nicely too but the irregular sizes of the medals can be an issue. I originally had both of these in gasketless holders. I received the Amazon holders today and when I attempted to remove one of the medals from the gasketless holder I discovered that it is wedged in quite tightly. When I tried removing the other medal from the gasketless holder it dropped out with little effort.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A6WTWYM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Options
  • Options

Both of these look good. Thanks for the ideas.

• Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

You broke me down....Apollo and octagon incoming

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file