Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wondering what the difference is between "bag handled" and "circulated" Broken Arrow since this appears to be a new type.

There was ONE more satin Union available last night too. Didn't last long! Mintage was updated to 99 final.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    burlguyburlguy Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

I have a proof "Union" on the way...... Now where are my holders, perhaps somewhere in China?

• Options
    felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭

@Akbeez said:
    There was ONE more satin Union available last night too. Didn't last long! Mintage was updated to 99 final.

There were two available, and I snagged the first. :)

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@thefinn said:

@Insider2 said:
    @thefinn said: "That's what ICG does to get people to send the DC stuff to them - put 70s on them, as if it matters."

This is one of the most IGNORANT posts I have read on CU since joining. Additionally, IMO is really pushing the posting rules of this forum.

Presently, I grade/authenticate at ICG. I'm only one of the graders and fortunately for ICG, I'm NOT the finalizer. Since 1986, I have written/taught that there are examples of over-graded, under-graded, and CORRECTLY GRADED (the majority at the time they were graded) coins in slabs from all the major services.

I will put my assigned grade in the computer (sometimes not the same as the final grade on the label) against anyone in the country as far as the coin's actual condition of preservation. On many occasions, this is not the same as the coin's commercial grade! In those cases, I grade the coin commercially and put "my grade" in the comments that can only be seen by the finalizer.

We received the coins in this post Thursday or Friday of last week. Today is Monday and they just left my desk. They are scheduled to go out on 5/12 (Sunday) so I expect they will be shipped before Friday of this week. The slowdown is because we had to make special labels.

As for the grades: I graded most of the coins MS-70 while examining them using my eye, and then a stereo microscope at 7X! I could not find anything (hairlines, spots, nicks, etc) on the coins that I sent to the next grader as MS-70 in my professional opinion. I personally do not like the 70 grade and look for ANY REASON to drop the grade to a 69 on any coin to protect future buyers!

Some may argue that an overstrike can never be a perfect coin because much of the time there is evidence of the under coin that leaves a mark on the "new" coin. They don't work for this company.

Finally, these Astronaut Concepts ($, 50c, 25c) look just like a coin that could be issued from the US Mint. I'd recommend that you all buy a few while you can!

** I feel HONORED to make such an impression.** We are talking about over struck coins, which are in essence, tokens, just as ANACS describes them.
    They are not coins anymore, which is what keeps DC out of the SS's sights. If they were coins, then NGC and PCGS would authenticate and grade them. That may happen in the future when they decide that they would like to increase their revenue stream, but not currently.
    So, they can be graded anyway anyone wants to grade them. Why not try out the 1-100 grading standard on them. Grade them MS95.

Look up the definition of "LIBEL" and let us read more about how "honored" you are. As for "impressions," if I were to post IGNORANT NONSENSE, I sincerely hope someone comes down very hard on me! BTW, Just because the Carr Issues are "tokens" does not mean that they cannot be graded, collected, and bring strong prices. Perhaps you are unaware that not everything he makes is an overstrike. :wink:

As for NGC and PCGS...In my experience over the past 50 years, they are slow to adopt to customer needs. For example, when I joined NGC in 1998, they did not grade tokens and only did an EXTREMELY limited amount of varieties. I begged them to expand as ANACS, INSAB, and PCI did EVERYTHING (ANACS since 1971!). PCI even slabbed milk bottle caps! :)

If a company claims to be the #1 TPGS they BETTER PROVE IT! There was a time the big two wouldn't touch a problem coin and kept your money! They had to be dragged kicking and screaming into that market. I can go on and on with examples PLUS many of the reasons the big two proceed slowly into new territory: Basically, if you do it - hire experts, build a library, and make sure you do it right!

Hopefully, in the future Mr. Carr's work will be slabbed by ALL the grading companies. IMO, they should also slab counterfeits for educational purposes. That would advance numismatics much faster than all the pretty slab labels. And news flash just for you, that will not hurt our bottom line at all! :)

Good to live in a place where people and TPGs can have OPINIONS.

thefinn
  • Options

@GRANDAM said:

I feel honored to make such an impression. We are talking about over struck coins, which are in essence, tokens, just as ANACS describes them.
    They are not coins anymore, which is what keeps DC out of the SS's sights. If they were coins, then NGC and PCGS would authenticate and grade them. That may happen in the future when they decide that they would like to increase their revenue stream, but not currently.
    So, they can be graded anyway anyone wants to grade them. Why not try out the 1-100 grading standard on them. Grade them MS95.

Haters gotta hate,,,,,,,,, if you don't like Dan Carr's products or having them graded by ICG then noone is twisting your arm to do so.

There are many of us who appreciate that we can get these professionally graded and encapsulated to protect and preserve them.

I am one of these people,,,,,,,,

I love Dan Carr's overstrikes, and have bought them since 2008. Just don't like the grading inflation game and make believe superiority of one over another. Just like modern US 69 vs. 70 crap.

thefinn
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2019 8:38PM

@thefinn said:

@GRANDAM said:

I feel honored to make such an impression. We are talking about over struck coins, which are in essence, tokens, just as ANACS describes them.

Haters gotta hate,,,,,,,,, if you don't like Dan Carr's products or having them graded by ICG then noone is twisting your arm to do so.

There are many of us who appreciate that we can get these professionally graded and encapsulated to protect and preserve them.

I love Dan Carr's overstrikes, and have bought them since 2008. Just don't like the grading inflation game and make believe superiority of one over another. Just like modern US 69 vs. 70 crap.

IMHO, ANYONE with a little training, good eyesight, good light in a dark room, and a 7X hand lens can tell the difference between a 70 and a 69! In fact, I believe the grade of MS-70 is the EASIEST to determine and defend once some agreement is reached on tiny mint caused defects during planchet prep or striking!

I sincerely hope that no matter your opinion you are one of the folks who know the difference between those two grades! :wink:

PS We all have an opinion. Thankfully, most are not exposed for what they are! <3

• Options

@Insider2 said:

@thefinn said:

@GRANDAM said:

PS We all have an opinion. Thankfully, most are not exposed for what they are! <3

Thanks for your input here as a grader -- I for one appreciate your insights and knowledge, and would certainly benefit from some grading training as us backwoods folks don't know sheet 'bout it here in the ice and snow :) of Alaska.

Happy Motha's Day y'all! (still 751 5/12 here) ;)

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

@Insider2 said:

@thefinn said:

@GRANDAM said:

IMHO, ANYONE with a little training, good eyesight, good light in a dark room, and a 7X hand lens can tell the difference between a 70 and a 69! In fact, I believe the grade of MS-70 is the EASIEST to determine and defend once some agreement is reached on tiny mint caused defects during planchet prep or striking!

I sincerely hope that no matter your opinion you are one of the folks who know the difference between those two grades! :wink:

Or think they are.

thefinn
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully, the new proof like "Union" will be kept under 100 mintage as well. I just ordered, because the satin version was so impressive. Kinda wish that was a stand alone piece, though. I don't like keeping up with all the different finishes and such.
    And if there is a gold version? :s

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    Hopefully, the new proof like "Union" will be kept under 100 mintage as well. I just ordered, because the satin version was so impressive. Kinda wish that was a stand alone piece, though. I don't like keeping up with all the different finishes and such.

He said it would be a higher mintage for the proof version

• Options

@DCW said:

The only problem I have with the gold version is I need more money.....

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just got a notice my proof like Union coins just shipped :)
    Waiting on Pics now from others who get theirs.

• Options
    felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    I just got a notice my proof like Union coins just shipped :)

Same here!

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    Yabba Dabba Doooooo

My ANACS order finally arrived in Englewood.
    It took the USPS 11 days to go from Denver to Englewood, 7 miles...... B)

Now that ANACS has them I feel 100% better, they get 'er done

Good luck on the grade Bull!!!! ;)

• Options

NIce grades Grand looks like Dan is really cranking out some good quality coins!

• Options

Nice going @GRANDAM! Still haven’t submitted any of mine yet but will now the field is more balanced. Now who...?

And @Bullsitter your crazy wait over a week to ship 7 miles is unacceptable. Was that Priority or Parcel post? Or Registered? In any case bumm service. Light ‘em up!!

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Akbeez said:
    Nice going @GRANDAM! Still haven’t submitted any of mine yet but will now the field is more balanced. Now who...?

And @Bullsitter your crazy wait over a week to ship 7 miles is unacceptable. Was that Priority or Parcel post? Or Registered? In any case bumm service. Light ‘em up!!

It was registered. I got a call from the USPS yesterday saying they were sorry it took so long. I said that it was ok just as long as it delivered.... B)

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2019 12:18PM

I was just looking over my 2019 Astronaut silver dollars and thought they looked Reverse-Prooflike - shiny devices (astronaut. lander and eagle) on a satin background. Anyone think the same?

Here are Dan's photos.

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

My last order (registered mail) sat 3 days in Colorado, then sat 3 more days in DC with no movement, till i called and complained, then it was delivered special that same day.
    This order said shipped Tuesday 14th. no tracking/delivery info available. Anybody seeing movement on their "shipped" orders?

(l8-)>>

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    NIce grades Grand looks like Dan is really cranking out some good quality coins!

The condition of Mr. Carr's products is consistently perfect showing a great deal of care.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@edgar said:
    My last order (registered mail) sat 3 days in Colorado, then sat 3 more days in DC with no movement, till i called and complained, then it was delivered special that same day.
    This order said shipped Tuesday 14th. no tracking/delivery info available. Anybody seeing movement on their "shipped" orders?

Mine hasn't shipped yet so at least yours is on the way. The shipping delays added by the USPO are frustrating for sure. Registered Mail slows everything down by having to handle and log every step of the way. I, in general like the mail as a delivery method. BUT, if the PO want's to survive and compete with UPS & FedX they are going to have to up their game for registered mail. Add Amazon starting their own delivery service and the PO will be in trouble.

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    Here is my Proof just picked up at the post office today! I put the Lincoln Penny next to it for size comparison. Thick little puppy too! Now I have to find a holder for it! ;)

Ordered one today. Previous have arrived without tracking info which is ok with me as I trust the source. @Downtown1974 found a tea chest with compartments that hold slabs. I might need to bite the bullet and buy one new with a glass top for 70 bucks which holds 12 slabs or multiple flips which works for me.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mapleman the tea chest has 12 compartments. Each compartment can hold 5 slabs for a total of 60 slabs in the chest. I’ll keep my eyes out for ya. If I see another I’ll grab it for you.

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2019 5:12PM

@Downtown1974 said:
    @mapleman the tea chest has 12 compartments. Each compartment can hold 5 slabs for a total of 60 slabs in the chest. I’ll keep my eyes out for ya. If I see another I’ll grab it for you.

Thanks, I forgot about depth.
    Please do my searches have been limited on bay and flea markets have been ng in this part of pa which sort of surprised me But this is coffee country methinks.
    J

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    They are really nice

m

They do look nice! And I always love the scenery in your "coin shots."

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@burlguy said:
    I just got 5 49mm holders. They are just thick enough to allow closing and appear not make contact with the face of the $100 Winged Union.

They do however make contact with the rim as that is the highest point on the one that I tried and fitted into the slab. This is not a problem for me. I need to find a good adhesive to weld the cases shut that wont fog it up.

What is your source?

Has anyone confirmed if ICG has slabs big enough? Sorry if this was already answered 🥴

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Akbeez said:

@burlguy said:
    I just got 5 49mm holders. They are just thick enough to allow closing and appear not make contact with the face of the $100 Winged Union.

They do however make contact with the rim as that is the highest point on the one that I tried and fitted into the slab. This is not a problem for me. I need to find a good adhesive to weld the cases shut that wont fog it up.

What is your source?

Has anyone confirmed if ICG has slabs big enough? Sorry if this was already answered 🥴

In the past, ICG has stated 40MM or less for their holders. If these are 49, they I don't think they can do them (but best to ask them)

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

Thanks - maybe @Insider2 can answer as he lurks here too.

• Options

If ANACS or ICG needs cases they are readily available.... Here is where I bought mine. Took about a month for them to arrive from China. I bought the 49mm as I figure a little tighter fit would hold it more secure and keep it from shifting.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Large-size-42mm-50mm-60mm-slabs-display-Grade-coin-holder-Storage-boxes-High-quality/32944136370.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6b674c4dvFeMKk

• Options

@burlguy said:
    If ANACS or ICG needs cases they are readily available.... Here is where I bought mine. Took about a month for them to arrive from China. I bought the 49mm as I figure a little tighter fit would hold it more secure and keep it from shifting.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Large-size-42mm-50mm-60mm-slabs-display-Grade-coin-holder-Storage-boxes-High-quality/32944136370.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6b674c4dvFeMKk

UGG - are we now slaves to Chinese holders too?

Still waiting on my proof-like Unions...

• Options

@Akbeez said:

Me too. Dan always comes through.

• Options

@Akbeez said:

@burlguy said:

UGG - are we now slaves to Chinese holders too?

We are slaves to Chinese holders and probably have been since the 80's.

Waiting on my proof also.....

• Options

You guys have any update to your proof status? I ordered mine on the 12th.....

• Options

@burlguy -- I also ordered on the 12th -- nothing yet, and was thinking about it today also. Anxious to see these bruins! Stat's have not changed since inception.

• Options

Remember, Dan is a one man operation. Orders should ship any day now. I also placed my order on the 12th.

• Options

10-4 there fellow far-west-hawaiian/alaskan @Kudbegud ! Not questioning integrity in any way. Mr. Dan is a busy minter!! Been wondering about the 2019 KOTCT pieces as well -- ????

• Options

Thanks Dan. Nothing like info to settle nervous stomachs.

• Options

Thanks for the update Mr. Dan. Totally understandable. I liked the sun bursts but a clear field is cool too! Take your time to get em right as you wish — :)

• Options

@dcarr said:
    I've had some difficulty in making the blanks for the 100-gram silver large-format Winged Saint-Gaudens.
    Because the current version is proof-like the blanks have to be even smoother and I don't want anything like the "sunburst" patterns that appeared on some of the satin issue to show up on the proof-likes.

Anyway, my machine shop says that may new ingot molds will be ready tomorrow and that is what I need to hopefully remedy the situation. With them I will be able to pour thicker slabs which will give me more "meat" to roll out thicker blanks smoothly.

No hurry or rush.... How is it going? New products always have development curves.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file