Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@zonnk said:
    Thanks for the warm welcome here!, I just received the 2009 Dan Carr Proofed Silver Eagle. Been hunting it down for a while. It is listed at Moonlight Mint with a mintage of 4,155. With that many minted I would think they would be easier to find. Anybody know the scoop on that? Will look great next to the new ones I just ordered.

I just bought one too

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter Anxiously awaiting the release of the 2019 KOTCT series. Thanks for posting the sketch!

• Options
    zonnkzonnk Posts: 15 ✭✭

@Twobitcollector said:

@zonnk said:
    Thanks for the warm welcome here!, I just received the 2009 Dan Carr Proofed Silver Eagle. Been hunting it down for a while. It is listed at Moonlight Mint with a mintage of 4,155. With that many minted I would think they would be easier to find. Anybody know the scoop on that? Will look great next to the new ones I just ordered.

I just bought one too

Lucky you! Not many thin DC ones came with a certificate, most were in anacs type holders from what I found on DC website. So that makes yours special!

• Options

@zonnk said:

@Twobitcollector said:

@zonnk said:

I just bought one too

Lucky you! Not many thin DC ones came with a certificate, most were in anacs type holders from what I found on DC website. So that makes yours special!

@zonk
    Thanks, I didn't know that.
    It now resids in my Dansco, don't worry I didn't cut up the original insert.
    I made a copy.

coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    Mfriday4962Mfriday4962 Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

Why do Daniel Carr pieces loose value so fast? I have almost 2000 pieces left from early production to recent and at most your lucky to get back issue price or loose 25% and more. Yes there is a few that have held there value but not many.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mfriday4962 said:
    Why do Daniel Carr pieces loose value so fast? I have almost 2000 pieces left from early production to recent and at most your lucky to get back issue price or loose 25% and more. Yes there is a few that have held there value but not many.

You are buying the wrong pieces. I have not found that to be the case. Send me a list of what you want to sell at 25%+ less than issue price.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes, I want the list also!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2019 2:42PM

@7Jaguars said:
    Yikes, I want the list also!

Me three! o:)

• Options

Where does my post say anything about a list? Same people here buy directly from Daniel and then sell at issues price on eBay a week after they get them and wonder why the market it shit for DC.

• Options

I didn’t say there was a list. You seem disinterested so I was simply asking for a list if you wanted to sell any,

• Options

My apologies! I love Daniels work and alway have. Was just sharing concerns

• Options
    edited August 31, 2019 4:21PM

The way I see it the answer has two parts.

1 - Some people don’t know how to market a product. I see people list items all the time at auction at a starting price of $0.99 with free shipping and then it sells for less than it costs to ship it.

2 - People buy and overextend themselves and then are willing to sell at a loss to pay off the bills they ran up buying the items in the first place.

• Options

Well couldn’t agree more.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found that Carr pieces that appreciate in value follow basic coin economics: quality, relative scarcity, and desirability. Most of his work falls into the first two categories, but desirability is less obvious. For example, he produced many clad/copper/brass pieces that are very nice, but many don't have the same "grab" and resale value as a 2017 high-relief silver Peace Dollar. I sure wish I had bought a few of his 1964 Peace Dollars!

However, here is a pop 4 copper piece that @Bullsitter lost his mind and sold me (thanks again Chief!) that will certainly gain value:

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

Very good point. I have ordered from Dan the last few days because it’s an addiction. Either way I’m being a bit more cautious now. Thank you for the advice!!

• Options

I suspect most here have done the same ;)

SSSHHHHH !!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Akbeez said:

However, here is a pop 4 copper piece that @Bullsitter lost his mind and sold me (thanks again Chief!) that will certainly gain value:

You're probably right on losing my mind. It's a cool piece I agree, I'm glad it's in good hands.

• Options

Thought that would flush you out! Good hands, yes. Good thing she's wearing protection for all the fondling o:)

• Options
    edited September 1, 2019 8:54AM

I wished I was around when these first became available. I had to buy them after market to anyone who would sell them. Was this a dumb move? I won’t be around to find out cause there Not for sale!
    I think Bull has a good stash! :D

• Options
    edited August 31, 2019 5:53PM

Gluggo,

What does the reverse look like?

I just picked one with the same obverse that has a mintage of only 11 pcs but it is not toned.

Here is my reverse,,,,,, overstruck on a 40% silver IKE Dollar. Anyone know the issue price on this? I looked on Dan's website but can't find that info.

• Options
    edited September 1, 2019 10:24AM

Here is another one with both sides. There all the same design. It’s one of the others that I managed to buy. And congrats on picking one up there my favorite. One of the reason for the toning is it’s one of the different types he made. It’s the plated silver version.

Updating my Pictures with my new Bellow's Photo Set -Up!

• Options

@GRANDAM said:
    Gluggo,

I just picked one with the same obverse that has a mintage of only 11 pcs but it is not toned.

Here is my reverse,,,,,, overstruck on a 40% silver IKE Dollar. Anyone know the issue price on this? I looked on Dan's website but can't find that info.

The KOTCT pieces won't be on the MM website. They can be found on the club site with some hunting. Likely someone here will have that info. Congrat's on picking this up!

• Options

I have somewhere the original cost on these Grand but I can tell you I paid 150 % if not more on a few. But I did not care Zi wanted them that bad. It’s a Daniel Carr SICKNESS One which there is no known cure! It will take some time to go through the records to find them. Won’t be tonight but I will PM them to you.

• Options

Thanks, Gluggo, I couldn’t find it on the KOTCT site either.

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:

Updating my Pictures with my new Bellow's Photo Set -Up!

Nice looking shots.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never sold a Danny coin/medal/bar, period. Really, they are not for sale. I like the artistry, even on the overstrikes.
    I have to confess my favorite is still the Oregon Trail piece and like the matte 1964 & "65 Peace Dollar best. Honestly I don't really care what the resale is.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2019 2:18PM

@7Jaguars said:
    I have never sold a Danny coin/medal/bar, period. Really, they are not for sale. I like the artistry, even on the overstrikes.
    I have to confess my favorite is still the Oregon Trail piece and like the matte 1964 & "65 Peace Dollar best. Honestly I don't really care what the resale is.

Got a picture of a Danny coin/medal/bar or were you referring to Danny as a person? TYIA

I had to modify the label on the picture, I did not know there was a dedication imprinted on the edge so I wanted to capture that. Thank you Pipestonepete!

• Options

Got a picture of a Danny coin/medal/bar or were you referring to Danny as a person? TYIA

Just a guess but Danny = Dan Carr.

• Options

@GRANDAM said:

Just a guess but Danny = Dan Carr.

Daaaaa! Sometimes my brain just lacks common sense! Thank You!

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

@Akbeez said:

You're probably right on losing my mind. It's a cool piece I agree, I'm glad it's in good hands.

@Akbeez said:
    I have found that Carr pieces that appreciate in value follow basic coin economics: quality, relative scarcity, and desirability. Most of his work falls into the first two categories, but desirability is less obvious. For example, he produced many clad/copper/brass pieces that are very nice, but many don't have the same "grab" and resale value as a 2017 high-relief silver Peace Dollar. I sure wish I had bought a few of his 1964 Peace Dollars!

Hi akbeez,
    How did you take that perfect image of the 2009 Ameros?

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭

31-S Peace should be a great coin. While not Broken Sword design it looks like full reverse detail and excellent obverse hair.

• Options
    edited September 2, 2019 11:18AM

Akbeez nice pickup from the Chief! He has a nice assortment and good connects! Never really looked at that one closely before. I can see why you liked it.
    How is the rain up there? So glad we finally got some seems like it went 40 days of pure sunshine! Ground shaking as of late? How do you take your pictures? Those picks under the slab came out real well by the way! Share your secret I have not really tried shooting slabs but will be trying in the future.

Here is one I just tried to take a snap shot with.

• Options

@zonnk said:

@Akbeez said:

Hi akbeez,
    How did you take that perfect image of the 2009 Ameros?

Aww pshaw - flat pieces like this are the easiest. It's the proofs that are a bear -- as any photographer will agree.

The critics will hate this but I use my venerable iPhone 7 for everything. Set it on small boxes (or books) as a tripod and use an LED swing arm desk magnifier for lighting. Take a minute to setup. Post process with the simple photo app that comes with MacBook Pro's "Preview" for cropping and subtle light corrections. Don't even use Photoshop anymore. Will be selling my digital SLR and copy stand, haven't used them in years.

@Gluggo we too are praising the rain. We got more on Sunday than ALL of August (0.04 in). The smoke went from 1 mile visibility on Friday to 60 miles today (can almost see Russia!). The 2 forest fires just north in Willow have been mostly contained now and your Swan Lakes Fire on the Kenai is finally getting scrubbed. Fall colors are starting!

• Options

@Gluggo said:

Here is one I just tried to take a snap shot with.

Nice piece Gluggo, that's a keeper.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

.> @Akbeez said:

@GRANDAM said:
    Gluggo,

The KOTCT pieces won't be on the MM website. They can be found on the club site with some hunting. Likely someone here will have that info. Congrat's on picking this up!

KOTCT mintages & specs on the MM site (scroll down): http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_medals_club_B.htm

But prices aren't listed. And interestingly, I couldn't find the price spreadsheets on the relevant KOTCT 2016 threads. Apparently they've been deleted.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options

I think you are right -- I couldn't figure out why I couldn't see the spreads Sir Stacks was posting that year. Attachments must get deleted after some time.

• Options

Nice piece Gluggo, that's another keeper...hey Big Man, let me hold a dollar.... B)

• Options

Thank you Bull that one was possible due to the BigPoppas!

• Options

Nice score zonnk!

• Options

Thanks Gluggo, it's a keeper!

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2019 11:38PM

Well I have to admit that I have sold two of the pieces made by @dcarr back in 2006 - 2007 time frame, I had bought a Copper 20 Amero and a Silver 100 Amero from Dan.

It wasn't long after he made them that the Media was reporting that there were rumors of the Bush administration had begun minting new "Amero Coins" in anticipation of the new North American Union. It was one of the conspiracy theories that were all over the place on Radio and Cable News outlets.

After hearing about this I decided to check eBay, no listings found. I figured why not take advantage of the free advertising and was I surprised, My auction made national news, they were showing it as Proof of the coins existence. There were also board members here that were complaining about the listing, they could not see where these "Ameros" were worth anymore than spot for the silver and nothing for the copper.

It made me happy as I could be, I got a real nice price for both of them and Dan got a lot of publicity, good or bad I can't say, we will leave that up to him to say.

I am glad that I have bought a few other pieces, my favorite is the 2006 Denver Mint Centennial (?) Piece made of brass. I bought two. Both look more like Gold Pieces. (I will always sell for the right price) And I hope to be able to afford one of his Silver overstrikes.

I am happy that the members here now give him great support, as he has designed two of the best State Quarters of the bunch. I hope to see his designes on more Coins in the future.

JMHO...

edited for punctuation, big fingers, small keyboard...

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2019 4:46PM

Interesting story there @Texast . I was not aware of the hype surrounding the North American Union "Ameros" and its connection with D Carr. No wonder he produced so many variations. Thanks for sharing this piece! :)
    (edited with corrected OP)

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

He could also do a U.S. coin that is denominated in pesos, that might be popular when traveling.

• Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭

P64 CAC Lesher up at HLRC . These look really nice with toning.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2019 1:57AM

Updated production numbers for 1805 Dollar and 1931 Dollar.

Other updates too, but I'm more interested in the above... they're included in my order that "Shipped" today!

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options

Got the email this am my 1805 Bust Dollars (1-Unc & 1-Circulated) are on the way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file