Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2019 6:29AM

On the way.... B)

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COCollector said:
    Updated production numbers for 1805 Dollar and 1931 Dollar.

Other updates too, but I'm more interested in the above... they're included in my order that "Shipped" today!

The same two shipped for me also.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, who got one of the dollars struck over an original Draped Bust specimen? Not a hater, envious though! I had to settle for the "lesser" type as above & hope they ship soon.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think I could have sacrificed an original Draped Bust in this way...but I'm liking the look of the circ overstrike! On their way plus a few hot pesos ~~

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good going fellas. I’m fasting for the arrival of the 2019 KOTCT series.

• felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2019 7:34PM

@7Jaguars said:
    OK, who got one of the dollars struck over an original Draped Bust specimen? Not a hater, envious though! I had to settle for the "lesser" type as above & hope they ship soon.

I have both a brilliant and circulated version on the way to me right now.

• HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

The bulk handled 31-s peace dollars are available for $65.

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HalfStrike said:
    The bulk handled 31-s peace dollars are available for $65.

I ordered 2. One I'll use for a pocket piece.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • zonnkzonnk Posts: 15 ✭✭

I was lucky enough to find this set with matching numbers in MS66. All the signature quarters I have seen before have not been graded except the proofs but are encapsulated by ICG. Has anybody seen any graded higher?

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bulk is no longer available but I had 2 31S ordered :)

Check again @Paradisefound - bulk is showing available. Happy Hunting!! :)

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2019 9:18PM

U R right ....... although bulk is not my thing B) but hey ....... when you be coming back to HI?

@Akbeez said:

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Twobit nice! :o

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something isn't quite right about the bottom row. The reverse shows the small olive branch and "STRUCK ON A USA SILVER DOLLAR" at the bottom. It should have a "Die Pair 2" certificate, not a "Die Pair 1" certificate like that shown.

So either I supplied the wrong certificate or the certificate is not for that particular over-strike.
    Please verify.

edited September 18, 2019 12:15PM

@dcarr said:

Something isn't quite right about the bottom row. The reverse shows the small olive branch and "STRUCK ON A USA SILVER DOLLAR" at the bottom. It should have a "Die Pair 2" certificate, not a "Die Pair 1" certificate like that shown.

So either I supplied the wrong certificate or the certificate is not for that particular over-strike.
    Please verify.
    @dcarr

I did notice that, I think you supplied the wrong certificate.
    I was wondering about the color also.

coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN

after lunch images

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang, looking good D.... B)

@Twobitcollector said:

@dcarr said:

Please verify.
    @dcarr

I did notice that, I think you supplied the wrong certificate.
    I was wondering about the color also.

The "circulation" process has caused many of them do develop reddish-golden hue (which is not unattractive, in my opinion).

• Will1960Will1960 Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

I agree, will have to order a 'circulated version' as well.
    My Satin 1805 will arrive Friday.
    Beautiful, as always.

@Paradisefound said:
    U R right ....... although bulk is my my thing B) but hey ....... when you be coming back to HI?

@Akbeez said:

Ah yes Lady PF ~~ We bought a house this year and m’lady a new (HOT) Jeep. Between that and my DCarr habit we may be short-tethered this winter. :'(
    Settle for San Diego??? STILL NEED SUN! >:)

@Twobitcollector said:
    after lunch images

Aww ya daug! I’m out of state for another week and can’t fondle the incoming newps until then :# Luv those antiqued!

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Received my 1931-S Peace, and 1805 Draped Bust high grade. Boy am I happy! :)

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2019 3:51PM

Received my order today. Very pleased!

Anyone notice the diameter of the 1805 dollar? Mine is about 41mm (measured with my trusty desk ruler). But it's overstruck on a Peace or Morgan dollar (38.1 mm).

It looked "oversized" at first glance. And sure enough, I had to trim a black ring so it'd fit an I-38 airtite capsule.

I'm guessing the "flattening" mentioned in the MM Production Blog intentionally created a larger diameter similar to an original Draped Bust dollar ("approx. diameter 39 - 40 mm" according to my Redbook).

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 2, same 2 as @PocketArt & !COCollector above, came today also. Real beauties with perfect surfaces. Nicely done Dan !

The diameter of original Draped Bust Dollars can vary. I have one here and it measures 40mm. So they are definitely larger than a Morgan Dollar. The over-striking expands them a little further (to 41mm, as previously noted).

Wow for BULK-Handled this are outstanding.
    Great Job @dcarr

edited September 20, 2019 11:46AM

Hello Daniel.
    Received my 1805 Draped Bust, Die Pair 2, High Grade today.
    There is a very visible' scratch' on the Obverse, from the T in States all the way to the Eagles Beak and through its head to the S in Pluribus, visible with eyes, no louple needed, it is a semi-circular arc, mowing to the left side of coin.
    Is there a die problem?
    G-Daughters B-Day # 8 today, will post pics as I can, not a lot of time to dedicate now.

@dcarr said:
    The diameter of original Draped Bust Dollars can vary. I have one here and it measures 40mm. So they are definitely larger than a Morgan Dollar. The over-striking expands them a little further (to 41mm, as previously noted).

No complaints... I think the size is terrific!

Likewise, someday I'm hoping you'll make a Draped Bust half dollar.

Make it 1799, 9 Over 8.

And I'm guessing that'd be a first-ever: A fantasy overstruck coin with an overstruck date.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

🤔

Hmmmmmmm

Has Dan ever mentioned doing one of those 1 Trillion Coins that Sam was thinking about for a while?

Might sell a few of those. 😄

• 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

@Twobitcollector said:
    Wow for BULK-Handled this are outstanding.
    Great Job @dcarr

That's how the Peace Dollar should have looked all along! Outstanding!

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!

@Will1960 said:
    Hello Daniel.
    There is a very visible' scratch' on the Obverse, from the T in States all the way to the Eagles Beak and through its head to the S in Pluribus, visible with eyes, no louple needed, it is a semi-circular arc, mowing to the left side of coin.
    Is there a die problem?
    G-Daughters B-Day # 8 today, will post pics as I can, not a lot of time to dedicate now.

It is almost certainly not a "scratch" but actually a remnant of the host coin design (Morgan or Peace).
    But accidents can happen. Can you post a picture ?

From your description of the "sctatch", it sounds like it could be the back of Liberty's neck on a Peace Dollar (I over-struck some with the Bust (eagle) reverse placed over the Peace obverse rotated 180 degrees).

Regardless, you can send it back for refund or exchange if you like.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Leroy said:
    I received this a couple of days ago but just now got around to posting it. The 1902 United States / Philippine Peso with the triple S mint mark and straight serif on the 1. If you're not familiar with the series, it ran from 1903-1912. It's a beautiful coin and fits right in with my U.S. / Philippine set.

Please pardon my ignorance. Why are you posting this on the Dan Carr thread? Did he make these at one time? The coin looks too-good-to-be-true; just as if DC made it. I suggest you send that amazing MS-70 Peso to PCGS as it certainly should be the finest known.

edited September 21, 2019 8:43AM

@Insider2 said:

@Leroy said:
    I received this a couple of days ago but just now got around to posting it. The 1902 United States / Philippine Peso with the triple S mint mark and straight serif on the 1. If you're not familiar with the series, it ran from 1903-1912. It's a beautiful coin and fits right in with my U.S. / Philippine set.

Please pardon my ignorance. Why are you posting this on the Dan Carr thread? Did he make these at one time?...

Insider2, I think you missed this recent Dan Carr product: http://www.dc-coin.com/1grabenercoinpressmedallionsaleprice-1-2-2-1-2-2.aspx

Thanks! The surface looks like one of his. I guess foreign reproductions don't need to be signed. Hey Dan, how about a Cap & Ray issue?

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm, second that one. I think I may get one of the Philippine pesos as I got a Caballito (1915) as I had wanted the 1907 but there was an ordering glitch. Then the price rise....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr

have you considered running out the life of some dies to produce naturally occurring errors. cracks/breaks/cuds/clashes etc

they could be a series unto themselves.

perhaps even sell ONLY the ones with the breaks/cuds etc so no early die state examples exist.

it would be funny/neat to see a die run into oblivion and then the coins it would produce. ;)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

@Insider2 said:
    Thanks! The surface looks like one of his. I guess foreign reproductions don't need to be signed. Hey Dan, how about a Cap & Ray issue?

I am familiar with the phillip pesos but am no professional with them and I was thinking the same thing you were. didn't know they came THAT nice. and now I know, they don't. lol

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

edited September 21, 2019 11:49AM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    @dcarr

have you considered running out the life of some dies to produce naturally occurring errors. cracks/breaks/cuds/clashes etc

they could be a series unto themselves.

perhaps even sell ONLY the ones with the breaks/cuds etc so no early die state examples exist.

it would be funny/neat to see a die run into oblivion and then the coins it would produce. ;)

Great idea! At one Summer Seminar long ago, I made a set of errors on the tokens. Starting with a planchet, a planchet w/clip, a normal token, a token w/clip, a very week strike, an off-center, a double strike, a double strike one off-center, etc.

That would make a great "Strike to Order " offering of about a dozen small coins from retired dies. Error collectors could even request specific errors and they would cost more. It is the American Way. Fill a need and become rich.

@Insider2 said:
    Great idea! At one Summer Seminar long ago, I made a set of errors on the tokens. Starting with a planchet, a planchet w/clip, a normal token, a token w/clip, a very week strike, an off-center, a double strike, a double strike one off-center, etc.

have any pics that you're willing to share?

@dcarr said:

@Will1960 said:
    Hello Daniel.
    Is there a die problem?

It is almost certainly not a "scratch" but actually a remnant of the host coin design (Morgan or Peace).

From your description of the "sctatch", it sounds like it could be the back of Liberty's neck on a Peace Dollar (I over-struck some with the Bust (eagle) reverse placed over the Peace obverse rotated 180 degrees).

I will take a better picture tomorrow, using natural light.
    There is also a scratch in the bust area, I can feel both with my finger nail.
    Not a problem, have been a loyal fan-purchaser for a Long Time.

Oh, have MANY of your overstrikes, am familiar with ghosting from the host coin.

@Will1960 said:

@dcarr said:

@Will1960 said:
    Hello Daniel.
    Is there a die problem?

What you are seeing is the original outline from the Eagle's wing of the host coin (Morgan Dollar).
    I overlaid an approximate outline on the bottom image below:

@dcarr said:

@Will1960 said:

@dcarr said:

@Will1960 said:
    Hello Daniel.
    Is there a die problem?

What you are seeing is the original outline from the Eagle's wing of the host coin (Morgan Dollar).

Tha

@dcarr said:

@Will1960 said:

@dcarr said:

@Will1960 said:
    Hello Daniel.
    Is there a die problem?

Thank you for your swift reply and the graphic overlay. I have many of your overstrikes, some with fantastic ghosting from the host coin. The old eyes are failing me. Thank You Sir!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file