Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

I imagine the edge treatment will be tough.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    Those winged Liberty's sure are pretty.

that pied fort and relief make up for the stamp..... glad i got mine

(l8-)>>

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@PocketArt said:

@jwitten said:

@PocketArt said:
    Well this is cool!

Broken Sword-Clashed Peace. B)

Portion of Tiara "appears" to be clashed on the "E" in PEACE. Should be a few more of these out there...be sure to check!

Thanks Dan!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no rays on the exact opposite side of that. They do not appear to go that close to the rim.

Heck if I know- just best guess. Maybe Dan can chime in.

Once I install the dies in the coin press, I don't move them for every strike. I try to line up the obverse as close as possible for each over-strike. But the reverse of each host coin can be rotated in relation to the obverse. So the reverse-side over-strike can be off if the host coin has a slightly rotated die (which is often the case - the US Mint was not entirely consistent with that). So the lines seen on that coin are some of the original sun rays showing through.

Thanks for reply Dan. I would have thought the remaining details of host coin would have been completely obliterated, and thus leaving just "ghosting" of rays. I've just never seen this type of effect on your coins with remaining raised details of host coin, and really thought I had something. Still very cool, and quite pleased with your creation!

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Daniel Carr 2017 Moonlight Mint Open House Token O/S on 1896 Morgan Dollar...

Dan Fan
  • 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@jwitten said:

@Gluggo said:
    Which one would be the better one to buy?
    1. "1918" Peace Silver Dollar "Broken Sword" over-strike, High Relief, WW1 100th Anniversary Sold out on the other one so I missed that one or?
    2. "1907-D" Saint-Gaudens Winged Liberty, 999 Silver Concept, 1 troy oz. its a bit cheaper just wondering what the Professional Dan Carr buyers think? These 2 seem like their special in their own way buy I want more dont know which one to buy!!!! TYIA

1918 for sure. His nice overstrikes usually do better than his "creations". I'm not sure if the resell value will be hurt by creating too many of the broken sword peaces, only time will tell. I think he posted at one time he wanted to do one more date of them after this.

Next year there will be a "1919", and the year after that "1920". Both of those will be "Broken Sword" over-strikes. Also in 2020 I might do a "1970" over-strike (normal reverse) because that will be the 50th anniversary of the supposed test strikes of 1970-dated Peace Dollars that were made by the US Mint (and then destroyed) for the purpose of testing large dollar copper-nickel clad pieces (in preparation for the 1971 Eisenhower dollar).

Then in 2021 it will be the 100th anniversary of the last Morgan Dollars and the first Peace Dollars. I might do a "MCMXXI" roman-numeral Peace Dollar over-strike. But my main objective for the Morgan and Peace anniversaries is to do 2-oz 999 50mm silver rounds in a format similar to this:

but with wording similar to this:

After that, I think I'll be done with Peace Dollars since I'll have made almost as many different dates of Peace Dollars as the US Mint ;)

Or maybe I'll add one more - a "1936" proof to go with a US Mint 1936 proof set.

I myself will buy all of these naturally but I will like the 1920 year the best ! the year before the 1921 release and the broken sword design ! I know Dan has to make money but for this year I would like to see him charge more and limit mintage ? just my opinion !

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2018 9:40AM

@1940coupe said:

@dcarr said:

@jwitten said:

@Gluggo said:
    1. "1918" Peace Silver Dollar "Broken Sword" over-strike, High Relief, WW1 100th Anniversary Sold out on the other one so I missed that one or?
    2. "1907-D" Saint-Gaudens Winged Liberty, 999 Silver Concept, 1 troy oz. its a bit cheaper just wondering what the Professional Dan Carr buyers think? These 2 seem like their special in their own way buy I want more dont know which one to buy!!!! TYIA

1918 for sure. His nice overstrikes usually do better than his "creations". I'm not sure if the resell value will be hurt by creating too many of the broken sword peaces, only time will tell. I think he posted at one time he wanted to do one more date of them after this.

Next year there will be a "1919", and the year after that "1920". Both of those will be "Broken Sword" over-strikes. Also in 2020 I might do a "1970" over-strike (normal reverse) because that will be the 50th anniversary of the supposed test strikes of 1970-dated Peace Dollars that were made by the US Mint (and then destroyed) for the purpose of testing large dollar copper-nickel clad pieces (in preparation for the 1971 Eisenhower dollar).

Then in 2021 it will be the 100th anniversary of the last Morgan Dollars and the first Peace Dollars. I might do a "MCMXXI" roman-numeral Peace Dollar over-strike. But my main objective for the Morgan and Peace anniversaries is to do 2-oz 999 50mm silver rounds in a format similar to this:

After that, I think I'll be done with Peace Dollars since I'll have made almost as many different dates of Peace Dollars as the US Mint ;)

Or maybe I'll add one more - a "1936" proof to go with a US Mint 1936 proof set.

I myself will buy all of these naturally but I will like the 1920 year the best ! the year before the 1921 release and the broken sword design ! I know Dan has to make money but for this year I would like to see him charge more and limit mintage ? just my opinion !

How much would you like them to cost?

@Zoins said:

@1940coupe said:

@dcarr said:

@jwitten said:

@Gluggo said:

what he fills like the cost should be to make less

edited February 24, 2018 9:42AM

@1940coupe said:

@Zoins said:

@1940coupe said:

@dcarr said:

@jwitten said:

@Gluggo said:

How much less?

The gold Oregon half is pretty amazing and has a mintage of 1. Imagine if that was ever offered?!

edited February 24, 2018 9:55AM

@Zoins said:

@1940coupe said:

@Zoins said:

@1940coupe said:

@dcarr said:

@jwitten said:

@Gluggo said:

How much less?

The gold Oregon half is pretty amazing and has a mintage of 1. Imagine if that was ever offered?!

instead of 500 600 hundred mintage maybe 200 250 mintage

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

I somehow don't think he'll part with the Oregon gold at any reasonable price....Believe that's been tried, LOL!
    Doing a broken sword EVERY year does seem a bit much, even to a veteran fan of his like me. I was reluctant to buy the 2018 but did anyway and am pleased by the increase of quality that has been mentioned.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

I would actually like to see one of Dan's early ideas come to fruition. Peace dollars struck on gold-plated coins. He made a few of these and thought about offering them at one point. The MCMXXI dated specimen in overstruck gold-plate would be pretty nice.

@7Jaguars said:
    I somehow don't think he'll part with the Oregon gold at any reasonable price....Believe that's been tried, LOL!

But has the unreasonable price been tried ;)

the gold Oregon trail would be nice indeed !but a lot of people would be happen to just get the silver

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got my trio of 2018 Broken Swords today. Beautiful perfect strikes, but no VAMS...
    I showed my son (who collects, but not familiar with fantasy overstrikes) and he noticed right away the crazy high relief. Very impressive -- thanks Dan!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS69 FT (Full Toes)

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2018 9:40AM

Not sure if any body talked about the Discontinued - replacement product soon comment on the “1907-D” Saint Gaudens Double Eagle, on both the silver and brass. If there is a replacement will it be different from these since he has final on these on this site?

Right now on his web site he has these as final mintage of
    100 sold on the silver coin and
    70 sold on the brass coins.

Which would be a good low mintage if I read this right.

“1907-D” Saint Gaudens Double Eagle, Winged Liberty Concept

Catalog # Size / Material Finish Mintage Price

ASG_1907_bs1 1 34mm, / brass Satin Sold Out *70 $40

ASG_1907_Ag1 7 34mm, / 999 Silver Satin Sold Out *100 $85

High relief. All have coin-flip orientation.

1) Smooth edge marked “MOONLIGHT MINT” and “NOT LEGAL TENDER”.
    Counter-stamped “BRASS” on reverse above rising sun.
    Edge lettering orientation and position varies.

7) Smooth edge marked “MOONLIGHT MINT” and “NOT LEGAL TENDER”.
    Counter-stamped “999 SILVER” on reverse above rising sun.
    Edge lettering orientation and position varies.
    Weight varies from about 28 grams to 32 grams.

*) Mintage figure shown is final.

http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_gold_list.htm

edited February 25, 2018 10:23AM

@Gluggo said:
    Not sure if any body talked about the Discontinued - replacement product soon comment on the “1907-D” Saint Gaudens Double Eagle, on both the silver and brass. If there is a replacement will it be different from these since he has final on these on this site?

Dan mentioned the replacements won’t have the counterstamps over the rays on the reverse, but I'm not sure if any other changes have been decided.

• BigpoppasBigpoppas Posts: 241 ✭✭✭

Find ye one :wink:

The early and almost non existent 2009 Wirtland Silver Matte Proof

@Bigpoppas said:

Wow! Only 15 minted. Congrats!

• VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bigpoppas said:

Hey Bigpoppas, Did you have to go to Wirtland to get that one? Next time you go, please pick one up for me!

Dan Fan

@Zoins said:

@Bigpoppas said:

Wow! Only 15 minted. Congrats!

I also have the Satin version . Stupid me could have also purchased the proof like , but hesitated for a moment and Jackpot G&S grabbed it . The proof like has a mintage of 151 and Jackpot sold it for $455 on eBay last week :smiley: YOWZA !

This was about 3-4 years ago .
    I’ve never seen any of them offered other than that one time in 6+ years .
    I’ve never seen the gold one offered at all ..

They must be out there in the wild somewhere lurking about :wink:

@Voyageur said:

@Bigpoppas said:

Hey Bigpoppas, Did you have to go to Wirtland to get that one? Next time you go, please pick one up for me!

Hey Voyageur you know I’ve got you covered my brother, unfortunately airfare ain’t cheap :wink:

edited February 25, 2018 3:43PM

Anyone see this Dan Carr gold So-Called dollar recently available? Only 10 minted.

edited February 25, 2018 10:37PM

Here are my Westchester County Coin Club medals, also from 2009 like the Wirtland pieces.

These show the originally accepted design for the New Rochelle half dollar by Lorrilard Wise.

From the Moonlight Mint catalog, I just learned there also exists the following which I'd love to track down. Never seen any of the below!

• 4 copper double strikes
    • 2 copper antiqued finish
    • 4 silver matte finish

@Zoins said:
    Anyone see this Dan Carr gold So-Called dollar recently available? Only 10 minted.

Jackpot is pretty good friends with Jeff Shevlin, so I guess he bit the bullet and bought one back when they were done .
    He has pretty much everything done by Dan for So Called Dollar Club .

edited February 25, 2018 4:58PM

@Bigpoppas said:

@Zoins said:

Jackpot is pretty good friends with Jeff Shevlin, so I guess he bit the bullet and bought one back when they were done .

Here's Jackpot's description which indicates he was on Pawn Stars with Jeff a while back. Need to look up that episode!

DANIEL CARR 50 GRAM .999 GOLD 2014 So-Called Dollar Panama Canal 10 MINTED

JEFF SHEVLIN WRITES THE SECTION ON SO-CALLED DOLLARS FOR THE OFFICIAL RED BOOK EXPANDED DELUXE EDITION EVERY YEAR.

THIS IS ONE OF THE 10 GOLD 50 GRAM GOLD ONES MINTED. JEFF & I HAD THE WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE OF INTRODUCING SO CALLED DOLLARS TO THE WORLD BY FILMING 2 SO CALLED DOLLARS ON THE TV SHOW " PAWN STARS " . LEFT FIELD PRODUCTIONS IN NYC OCCASIONALLY CALLS ME LOOKING FOR RARE COINS & NUMISMATIC ITEMS FOR THE SHOW. RICK LOVES LOVES LOVES COINS , MEDALS & NUMISMATIC ITEMS FOR THE TV SHOW !

@Zoins said:
    Here are my Westchester County Coin Club medals, also from 2009 like the Wirtland pieces.

These show the originally accepted design for the New Rochelle half dollar by Lorrilard Wise.

From the Moonlight Mint catalog, I just learned there also the following which I'd love to track down. Never seen any of the below!

• 4 copper double strikes
    • 2 copper antiqued finish
    • 4 silver matte finish

I doubt you will see those varieties anytime soon as they are probably in some deep pockets .
    That design is by far one of my favorite DC CC designs and it wasn’t easy to get ;)

@Zoins said:

@Bigpoppas said:

@Zoins said:

Here's Jackpot's description which indicates he was on Pawn Stars with Jeff a while back. Need to look up that episodes!

DANIEL CARR 50 GRAM .999 GOLD 2014 So-Called Dollar Panama Canal 10 MINTED

JEFF SHEVLIN WRITES THE SECTION ON SO-CALLED DOLLARS FOR THE OFFICIAL RED BOOK EXPANDED DELUXE EDITION EVERY YEAR.

THIS IS ONE OF THE 10 GOLD 50 GRAM GOLD ONES MINTED. JEFF & I HAD THE WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE OF INTRODUCING SO CALLED DOLLARS TO THE WORLD BY FILMING 2 SO CALLED DOLLARS ON THE TV SHOW " PAWN STARS " . LEFT FIELD PRODUCTIONS IN NYC OCCASIONALLY CALLS ME LOOKING FOR RARE COINS & NUMISMATIC ITEMS FOR THE SHOW. RICK LOVES LOVES LOVES COINS , MEDALS & NUMISMATIC ITEMS FOR THE TV SHOW !

I can’t remember if he mentioned that to me and I know I didn’t see that episode , so time to go on a Xfinity search :)
    I gave him such a hard time about his debut appearance with the 64 Peace that maybe he intentionally didn’t bother to mention his second career move in acting . ;)

Cascade Chris Nice ! I would like to see more pic of you're off center Morgan dollar

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1940coupe said:
    Cascade Chris Nice ! I would like to see more pic of you're off center Morgan dollar

Which one :wink:

I'll try to dig em out and post pics when I have a chance

The more you VAM..
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:

@1940coupe said:

Which one :wink:

I'll try to dig em out and post pics when I have a chance

Holy crap I still cannot believe how real these look!

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG Chris -- can't believe you are sacrificing your Broken Arrows for this but it is appreciated!!! Those pocket pieces are crazy sexy --- WOW

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

edited March 9, 2018 12:00PM

tt

edited March 9, 2018 10:22AM

2017 Knights of the Coin Table 10th Anniversary Medal Mintage. I'm looking forward to getting my order.
    http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_medals_club_B.htm

coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Twobitcollector said:
    2017 Knights of the Coin Table 10th Anniversary Medal Mintage. I'm looking forward to getting my order.

Please tell me these KOTCT medals get shipped to us direct from DC

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman
    I wish could, DC is trying to get someone to pick them up and deliver.
    Some where I had mention "I hope we get them by Easter"
    I wonder

edited March 10, 2018 10:51AM

If I ever win the Lottery I would like to take a bank bag of worn out peace dollars to Dan and say make them look like new !

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have any extra's I am a buyer. :p:p:p:p:p

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

That banged up 1917 now looks a cheap chinese counterfeit.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    If you have any extra's I am a buyer. :p:p:p:p:p

Me too :)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2018 9:48PM

@Justacommeman said:

@Twobitcollector said:

Please tell me these KOTCT medals get shipped to us direct from DC

m

Mark, He was going to try and finish them up this weekend, when and where
    They ship are still uncertain at this point though.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2018 6:59PM

sorry, wrong forum...

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2018 3:25PM

This is my favorite open house die pairing.
    Yours is 1 of 275 made, closed in 2016.
    They're struck on a variety of host coins, medals, & planchets:

http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_event_tokens_list.htm

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file