Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2018 10:30AM

Speaking of Merlin...I received my 2016 Merlin KOTCT .999 Silver - One Troy Oz. 39mm, Polished Hologram Medal.

(working on trying to get a decent image)

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Thanks for the heads up @felinfoel !

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just received this week my latest additions of the Una satin Fairy in Copper & Silver Great stuff

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2018 9:31AM

@oih82w8 said:

Yes, thanks. felinfoel

Got my order in for both MCMVI (1906) and both 1933.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2018 11:24AM

1 each on the brass.

Looks like some gold Saints could be available..... :#

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would anyone have an extra brass "MCMVI (1906) ST. GAUDENS WINGED LIBERTY CONCEPT" with the "brass" stamped on the rays that they would like to sell?

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PipestonePete said:
    Would anyone have an extra brass "MCMVI (1906) ST. GAUDENS WINGED LIBERTY CONCEPT" with the "brass" stamped on the rays that they would like to sell?

pm sent

edited March 23, 2018 12:45PM

@jwitten said:

@PipestonePete said:

pm sent

Thanks, JW!

edited March 23, 2018 2:01PM

It would appear that the new Dan Carr "1933", "1934", and "MCMVI" St. Gaudens silver coins are not the same size as the original "MCMVI" silver version. The original was listed as "ONE TROY OZ. .999 SILVER (28-32 GRAMS)" whereas the three new offerings are listed as "24-25 GRAMS". With the same diameter stated (34 MM), these newer products will apparently not be as thick as the original. And the cost for these is slightly less than the original ($65 vs. $85).
    The same goes for the brass versions...slightly smaller coin and price ($35 vs. $40).

@PipestonePete said:
    It would appear that the new Dan Carr "1933", "1934", and "MCMVI" St. Gaudens silver coins are not the same size as the original "MCMVI" silver version. The original was listed as "ONE TROY OZ. .999 SILVER (28-32 GRAMS)" whereas the three new offerings are listed as "24-25 GRAMS". With the same diameter stated (34 MM), these newer products will apparently not be as thick as the original. And the cost for these is slightly less than the original ($65 vs. $85).
    The same goes for the brass versions...slightly smaller coin and price ($35 vs. $40).

I forgot how thick the first ones were until I pulled yours out to ship!

• tander123tander123 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

I picked up one of each. I love the look. And with the 15% ebay bucks, I picked up a real St. Gaudens too. I think I spent about $4500 today thanks to the 15% in ebay bucks and have to be done for awhile!

@Kudbegud said:

@oih82w8 said:

Yes, thanks. felinfoel

Excellent BST board members who complete their deals: WONDERCOIN, DABIGKAHUNA, GEMSTATECOINS, FIVECENTS, SILVEREAGLES92, NEWMISMATIST, GTOster, SCHMITZ7,
  • ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tander123 said:
    I picked up one of each. I love the look. And with the 15% ebay bucks, I picked up a real St. Gaudens too. I think I spent about $4500 today thanks to the 15% in ebay bucks and have to be done for awhile!

@Kudbegud said:

@oih82w8 said:

Yes, thanks. felinfoel

That thing put me into a spree mode too

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2018 5:58AM
  • felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 400 ✭✭✭✭

My wallet is getting a workout this week.

Dan's apparently working on this: "Broad-struck on US Mint Saint-Gaudens gold Double Eagles of 1908-1928. Original raised edge lettering shows."
    moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_gold_list.htm

edited March 25, 2018 3:41PM

This one includes the correct TWENTY DOLLARS reverse.
    Very Cool Fantasy Issue !

*****Any chance Daniel,
    you will offer 1933 with correct TWENTY DOLLARS reverse,
    broadstruck on 1908-1928 $20 coin ??? *****

I think a 1933 $20 fantasy would be on par with the 1964D PEACE $.

I bet I'd buy more than one...

;^)

Lindy

@felinfoel said:
    Dan's apparently working on this: "Broad-struck on US Mint Saint-Gaudens gold Double Eagles of 1908-1928. Original raised edge lettering shows."
    moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_gold_list.htm

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2018 9:38AM

What will be the final mintage of the 1906 Gold Double Eagle Saint Gaudens Winged Liberty Coin
    ? 8 ? Just wondering.

And thank you felinfoel for the heads up on the new DC eddition!

@Gluggo said:
    What will be the final mintage of the 1906 Gold Double Eagle Saint Gaudens Winged Liberty Coin
    ? 8 ? Just wondering.

I'll bet over 20, we'll see.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2018 9:33AM

@felinfoel said:
    FYI, new stuff at Dan's site.
    THANK YOU for the heads up. Just placed my order of MCMVI gold & matching silver as well as 1933 & 1934 tokens.
    Looking back I am glad I did not purchase anything of the 15% eBay Buck offer; could not find anything I really need nor want then so decided Not pull any BIN.....
    Thanks again

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2018 2:10PM

In on the gold. Thanks for the heads up!

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

I think I would get one of the gold if it was more like his peace or morgan fantasy dates. Over struck on a real coin, no wings or shield, etc.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2018 5:46PM

@jwitten said:
    I think I would get one of the gold if it was more like his peace or morgan fantasy dates. Over struck on a real coin, no wings or shield, etc.

I am going to try the "1934" with "TWENTY DOLLARS" reverse as a fantasy-date over-strike. I already have the dies. But I don't know yet how it will turn out. If it works, I will make that one a product.

I won't be doing any of the "1933" over-strikes with "TWENTY DOLLARS" reverse because one of the originals has been issued by the US Treasury. I could do a gold "1933" struck on a 1-troy-oz 999 gold blank if I used either the "DOUBLE EAGLE" or "NOT LEGAL TENDER" reverse die. I wouldn't do a "1933" with the "Twenty Dollars" reverse. But I will attempt a "1934" over-strike using the "TWENTY DOLLARS" reverse die.

I don't know if a "MCMVI" Winged Liberty over-strike on a normal Saint-Gaudens would even work. But I will give that a try once I get a couple to test with.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2018 6:02PM

Glad to hear it Dan.

I'm anxiously awaiting possible MCMVI and 1934 overstrikes.

I also seem to recall a 1907 gold overstrike on the Moonlight Mint Catalog but it's no longer there. Was it removed?

Thank you for the update DC.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is a product it will work.

What's the hang up? Edge treatment?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@Zoins said:
    Glad to hear it Dan.

I'm anxiously awaiting possible MCMVI and 1934 overstrikes.

I also seem to recall a 1907 gold overstrike on the Moonlight Mint Catalog but it's no longer there. Was it removed?

That gold "1907" piece was kind of funky. I initially recorded it in the mintages. But then later I melted it and exchanged the scrap for an equivalent amount of 999 gold for the "MCMVI" 1-oz gold.

@MsMorrisine said:

The Saint-Gaudens double eagles have raised edge lettering and stars. When such a coin is struck in a collar, gold fills into the voids on the edge die (collar). But then if the coin is forced out of the collar, the lettering would be sheared off. So the US Mint used a complex (and expensive) 3-piece segmented collar. After each strike, the segments would retract away from the coin to allow it to eject with the edge lettering intact. If you look at the edge of a Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle you will see a dividing line every 120 degrees. Those are the joints between the collar segments.

I recently tried making a thin steel shim (about 0.10" thick), engraved it while it was flat, bent it to slip inside a collar, and made some test strikes. The shim would eject from the collar with the coin, and then the shim could be peeled back slightly to release the coin. But it didn't work very well. In a hardened state the shim was too thin and brittle and it broke into several pieces. In a less-hard state the shim remained in one piece, but the details mushed out after just a couple strikes.

I do not presently have a way to engrave on the inside of a curved cylindrical shape. So my next plan is to just try over-striking a Saint Gaudens Double Eagle without using a collar at all. The result will still show all the original edge details. But, as you know, broad-strikes are always larger than a similar normal coin. What I do not know yet is how hard I will need to over-strike them to get full details, and how large in diameter they will become. if this results in a very large diameter broad-strike, I will not issue that product. Another option is to just do the over-striking using a smooth collar.

Dan, I hope you can preserve the original edge details on your 1934 $20 Fantasy overstrike.

Wow it sounds very complex to make these coin's. Thank you for sharing your challenges on the press. Very interesting subject.

• CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2018 8:16PM

I would like to see some gold fractional wing liberty's ,if possible, for those of us without "deep pockets"... :) ... If not,the silver/brass pieces are nice as well.

edited March 25, 2018 10:23PM

@dcarr said:

@MsMorrisine said:

The Saint-Gaudens double eagles have raised edge lettering and stars. When such a coin is struck in a collar, gold fills into the voids on the edge die (collar). But then if the coin is forced out of the collar, the lettering would be sheared off. So the US Mint used a complex (and expensive) 3-piece segmented collar. After each strike, the segments would retract away from the coin to allow it to eject with the edge lettering intact. If you look at the edge of a Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle you will see a dividing line every 120 degrees. Those are the joints between the collar segments.

I recently tried making a thin steel shim (about 0.10" thick), engraved it while it was flat, bent it to slip inside a collar, and made some test strikes. The shim would eject from the collar with the coin, and then the shim could be peeled back slightly to release the coin. But it didn't work very well. In a hardened state the shim was too thin and brittle and it broke into several pieces. In a less-hard state the shim remained in one piece, but the details mushed out after just a couple strikes.

I do not presently have a way to engrave on the inside of a curved cylindrical shape. So my next plan is to just try over-striking a Saint Gaudens Double Eagle without using a collar at all. The result will still show all the original edge details. But, as you know, broad-strikes are always larger than a similar normal coin. What I do not know yet is how hard I will need to over-strike them to get full details, and how large in diameter they will become. if this results in a very large diameter broad-strike, I will not issue that product. Another option is to just do the over-striking using a smooth collar.

Replicating the 3-piece segmented collar would be pretty amazing. Is anyone capable of doing this today?

Some of the classic techniques are pretty impressive, like this and the multi-part dies like the ones use for the reverse of the Saint-Gaudens Columbian Exposition medal, aka "Saint-Gaudens Dollar".

I hope the broad-strikes turn out well.

• HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

Maybe a segmented collar with stars to preserve the edge that slips into a larger collar?

@HalfStrike said:
    Maybe a segmented collar with stars to preserve the edge that slips into a larger collar?

Yes, that would be the way to do it - to have something thicker than the shims that I tried. But then the engraving would have to be done on the inside curve.

edited March 26, 2018 9:50AM

@dcarr said:

@HalfStrike said:

Yes, that would be the way to do it - to have something thicker than the shims that I tried. But then the engraving would have to be done on the inside curve.

Could laser engraving do this? Most of the laser engraving I’m familiar with is on flat die faces. Perhaps the collar could be rotated after each letter/star?

Absent that, would Ron Landis be able to hand-engrave the collar like he hand engraves dies? GMM did a lot of engraved edges but I’ve only seen incuse ones, so far.

@Zoins said:

@dcarr said:

@HalfStrike said:

Could laser engraving do this? Most of the laser engraving I’m familiar with is on flat die faces. Perhaps the collar could be rotated after each letter/star?

Absent that, would Ron Landis be able to hand-engrave the collar like he hand engraves dies? GMM did a lot of engraved edges but I’ve only seen incuse ones, so far.

My engraving machine has three linear axes (X,Y,Z). What is needed is a machine with one of the axes being rotary rather than linear. Some machines have this (laser and traditional CNC milling/engraving). I haven't had enough of a need for a rotary axis to justify the cost.

I could potentially make a set of small character (and star) punches with my 3-linear-axis machine and then punch the characters one at a time into the curved surface of a segmented collar. Getting the position of each punch just right would be the difficult part.

@jwitten said:
    no wings or shield

this is a Saint Gaudens design

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@MsMorrisine said:

@jwitten said:
    no wings or shield

I know, but I like the production design better.

The Gold issue's breast and toes seem to be in higher relief when compared to Silver.

Daniel, Is there just one obverse die for gold, silver and brass 1906 issues ?

Or is your 1906 gold issue struck with a higher relief obverse die ?

@jwitten said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@jwitten said:
    no wings or shield

@LindyS said:
    The Gold issue's breast and toes seem to be in higher relief when compared to Silver.

@jwitten said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@jwitten said:
    no wings or shield

Probably has to do with the malleability of brass versus silver.

@LindyS said:

@jwitten said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@jwitten said:
    no wings or shield

The "MCMVI" Winged Liberty with "DOUBLE EAGLE" reverse are struck from only one pair of dies for all three metals - gold, silver, brass. The gold pieces were the most recently stamped, and just prior to striking them I bead-blasted the dies again. As the dies are used, they get a little bit more shiny with each strike. Bead-blasting puts a satiny-matte finish back on the dies. For the next run of silver and brass I plan to bead-blast the dies more often to produce a less shiny surface on average.

• 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Dan is the 1918 peace dollar mintage getting close to being over ?

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN

@1940coupe said:

263 sold so far on the High Grade.

@1940coupe said:

I have some still in stock. I predict one more relatively modest production run. I plan to have them available through the end of the Denver Coin Expo (May 10-12) and that will be it.

edited March 27, 2018 6:34PM

Daniel,
    Do you think you'll produce this 24k MCMVI obverse paired with a CLARK GRUBER in place of DOUBLE EAGLE reverse die ?
    I could see adding one to the collection.

Just a thought

;^)

Lindy

@dcarr said:

@LindyS said:

@jwitten said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@jwitten said:
    no wings or shield

The "MCMVI" Winged Liberty with "DOUBLE EAGLE" reverse are struck from only one pair of dies for all three metals - gold, silver, brass. The gold pieces were the most recently stamped, and just prior to striking them I bead-blasted the dies again. As the dies are used, they get a little bit more shiny with each strike. Bead-blasting puts a satiny-matte finish back on the dies. For the next run of silver and brass I plan to bead-blast the dies more often to produce a less shiny surface on average.

If a 1933 overstrike is made, there will be an important difference. The carr o/s will be monetized. :p

edited March 27, 2018 8:07PM

What about a 1964-D Saint-Gaudens double eagle to go with the Peace and Morgan dollars? :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file