Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Engrave the collar, then bend to radius needed....and heat treat as necessary.

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LindyS said:
    Daniel,
    Do you think you'll produce this 24k MCMVI obverse paired with a CLARK GRUBER in place of DOUBLE EAGLE reverse die ?
    I could see adding one to the collection.

Just a thought

All Clark Gruber pieces I make this year will be dated 2018 only.

@MsMorrisine said:
    If a 1933 overstrike is made, there will be an important difference. The carr o/s will be monetized. :p

I do not plan to produce any "1933" over-strikes.
    A "1934" over-strike with the "TWENTY DOLLARS" reverse die will be attempted.

I sent a message to the seller asking them to remove all references to "Daniel Carr" since I had nothing to do with making that one.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ask him if he had a COA. he said no and that he had gotten some information about the coin and was removing it.

• JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭

I do not plan to produce any "1933" over-strikes.
    A "1934" over-strike with the "TWENTY DOLLARS" reverse die will be attempted.

Could you do this one with No Motto ? That would really be Cool.

• VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW !!! B)B)B)

Dan Fan
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible set @Bullsitter ! Nice imaging too! I have found it really hard to catch the holograms on my plain polished version.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

@oih82w8 said:
    Incredible set @Bullsitter ! Nice imaging too! I have found it really hard to catch the holograms on my plain polished version.

Thanks, and yes, they are hard to image. I use 1 light about 18 inches away from coin. I don't shine the light directly on the coin either. I take about a dozen shots of each coin and pick out the best.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2018 9:41AM

Bull! 12 pieces holy moly!!!! Nice pictures really sets them apart from your average coins. Good job. Really like that polished plate and the polished color tone. Just striking!

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

@oih82w8 said:

Thanks, and yes, they are hard to image. I use 1 light about 18 inches away from coin. I don't shine the light directly on the coin either. I take about a dozen shots of each coin and pick out the best.

You need to send them all to @messydesk to have each one photographed in .gif animated form. Remember my Merlin he did? Just imagine what that set would look like. Hit him up, I want to see them all move!

The more you VAM..
    edited March 29, 2018 4:34PM

@CascadeChris said:

@Bullsitter said:

@oih82w8 said:

You need to send them all to @messydesk to have each one photographed in .gif animated form. Remember my Merlin he did? Just imagine what that set would look like. Hit him up, I want to see them all move!

I have his form on my desk and he has quoted me the fees to do them. He said there would be no problem doing them in the ANACS holders. So yes, I can see it happening and I agree it would be pretty cool. He did a fantastic job on yours.

• 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Dan its been a while since you listed on your sight a very limited item that sells out in less than hour for those of us that check your sight 24/7 it adds some excitement !

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1940coupe said:
    Hey Dan its been a while since you listed on your sight a very limited item that sells out in less than hour for those of us that check your sight 24/7 it adds some excitement !

Dan mentioned he may go back to eBay for those. Would be nice to see some there.

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2018 11:59AM

I check DC every morning...

;^)

I Bought a Pair of 2015 1&1/2 ounce silver Clark Gruber Owls, the only frequent visitor trophy(s) I own at issue price.

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

This arrived today

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
    edited April 2, 2018 10:23AM

That looks counterfeit to me

Is it reeded ?

I'm a fan of pocket worn coins, but the color reminds me of Chinese made fantasies.

;^(

@Twobitcollector said:
    This arrived today

@LindyS said:

Is it reeded ?

I'm a fan of pocket worn coins, but the color reminds me of Chinese made fantasies.

;^(

@Twobitcollector said:
    This arrived today

It does appear porous, especially on Dan's face.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

@oih82w8 said:

@LindyS said:

Is it reeded ?

;^(

@Twobitcollector said:
    This arrived today

It does appear porous, especially on Dan's face.

Yes it's reeded here is another image.

coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN

@LindyS said:

Is it reeded ?

;^(

@Twobitcollector said:
    This arrived today

It is real.
    I did the sculpts for these. But I had them struck at another mint because, at the time (2005), I did not have a coin press yet.
    A bunch of them came with struck-through metal pieces and that is one reason why I got my own press so that I wouldn't have to put up with someone else's quality failings. The marks on the face are where the struck-through pieces came out. I took many of the defective coins and put them in a vibratory tumbler to "circulate" them and then sold them at a discount as factory seconds. I had a small bucket of different ones that I was selling at the Denver coin show one time for $2 each.

edited April 2, 2018 5:14PM

Daniel, did you strike your four Colorado Quarters, in 3 metals in 2006 ?

You got your Denver Mint graebener press functional in 2008, right ?

Your Colorado 25c issues I own all appear to be well struck & flawless.
    So I have assumed you struck your Colorado 25c issues.

Thank You !

@dcarr said:

@LindyS said:

Is it reeded ?

;^(

@Twobitcollector said:
    This arrived today

It is real.
    I did the sculpts for these. But I had them struck at another mint because, at the time (2005), I did not have a coin press yet.
    A bunch of them came with struck-through metal pieces and that is one reason why I got my own press so that I wouldn't have to put up with someone else's quality failings. The marks on the face are where the struck-through pieces came out. I took many of the defective coins and put them in a vibratory tumbler to "circulate" them and then sold them at a discount as factory seconds. I had a small bucket of different ones that I was selling at the Denver coin show one time for $2 each.

@LindyS said:

Thank You !

I always did all my own sculpts. I first started striking my own things in late 2008.
    The nickel, brass, and silver parody state quarters and concept state quarters (CO, ME, NV) were all struck in Utah using my dies. The strike-through divots were only a problem on a percentage of the different nickel pieces.

@LindyS said:

Thank You !

@dcarr said:

@LindyS said:

Is it reeded ?

;^(

@Twobitcollector said:
    This arrived today

It is real.

If you have any more $2 items please send me a PM,Thanks

@LindyS said:

Thank You !

@dcarr said:

@LindyS said:

Is it reeded ?

;^(

@Twobitcollector said:
    This arrived today

It is real.

@Twobitcollector said:

@dcarr said:

Well, that Denver coin show I mentioned was back in 2005. The only other time I offered anything close was 2006 when I had a bunch of "circulated" concept dollars (Apollo, Bessie Coleman, Sacagawea, Presidents). I put them all in one lot and auctioned them on eBay. They only sold for about $1 each. That wouldn't happen today. Many from that batch have been resold on eBay over the years for about $5 to $50 (or more) each.

@dcarr said:

@Twobitcollector said:

@dcarr said:

Well, that Denver coin show I mentioned was back in 2005. The only other time I offered anything close was 2006 when I had a bunch of "circulated" concept dollars (Apollo, Bessie Coleman, Sacagawea, Presidents). I put them all in one lot and auctioned them on eBay. They only sold for about $1 each. That wouldn't happen today. Many from that batch have been resold on eBay over the years for about $5 to $50 (or more) each.

It doesn't hurt to ask, but I really knew the answer.

@dcarr said:

@Twobitcollector said:

@dcarr said:

I wonder if this is one of those "circulated" $1 concept dollars. I paid much more than $1!

@Zoins said:

@dcarr said:

@Twobitcollector said:

@dcarr said:

I wonder if this is one of those "circulated" $1 concept dollars. I paid much more than $1!

Yep, you did. You beat me on that one... :(

HA !!!

You both beat me on that one.

I think I was 4th highest bidder

;^)

@Bullsitter said:

@Zoins said:

@dcarr said:

@Twobitcollector said:

@dcarr said:

Yep, you did. You beat me on that one... :(

@Zoins said:

@dcarr said:

@Twobitcollector said:

@dcarr said:

Yes, that is one from the original group of "circulated" concept dollars. I didn't sell all of them and I held onto some. This one was made in 2005 and I later over-struck it as an Open House piece in 2013, and then sold it at my table at the Denver ANA last summer (2017). It was a lot more than $2 when I sold it, but I forget the exact amount.

Did you ever make your own slab for a 41 mm owl. Try it you'll like it

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought one of the gold 1906 Saints - anyone know when they will ship??

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@LindyS said:
    Here's a Schuler for 125k or best offer considered:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321897782251

@crazyhounddog said:
    It would be a blast to have a coin press. I've been a machinist/toolmaker most all of my life so this would be right down my alley. Really cool stuff B)

Stamping is the easy part. Making the dies is the hard part. Of course, a coin press isn't much good without dies.
    That Shuler press is interesting. I was not aware that the US Mint has released any of that generation equipment (if that is indeed US Mint surplus). Those Shuler presses are super fast. But they are not so good for collector coins because they are horizontal-acting (gravity assists in feeding blanks and extracting struck coins). You can't easily strike collector coins one at a time with a horizontal-acting press - a traditional vertical-acting press is better for that. That is why when the Denver Mint swapped out all their Grabener presses for Shuler presses, they sent all their Grabener presses to San Francisco (except for one ;) ).

For someone who is not very mechanical, I'm still amazed that you got yours up and running like you did. I love reading the information about getting it running on your website. That is great stuff for anyone who has not been there.

edited April 4, 2018 1:30AM

@dcarr said:

@Zoins said:

@dcarr said:

@Twobitcollector said:

@dcarr said:

Yes, that is one from the original group of "circulated" concept dollars. I didn't sell all of them and I held onto some. This one was made in 2005 and I later over-struck it as an Open House piece in 2013, and then sold it at my table at the Denver ANA last summer (2017). It was a lot more than $2 when I sold it, but I forget the exact amount.

Great info Dan! I love getting more history on your pieces. I had thought someone may have brought this piece to your Open House to have it overstruck but it's great to hear that it was part of your collection at the time.

@Lakesammman said:
    Bought one of the gold 1906 Saints - anyone know when they will ship??

My plan is to ship all pending orders by Friday.

@Twobitcollector said:

Now I have done both that I have.

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, DCarr! :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Twobitcollector said:

@Twobitcollector said:

Now I have done both that I have.

Great idea!

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:

Got my shipping notice today

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@Lakesammman said:

Got my shipping notice today

m

Me too

Me three.

add me to the list

• VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Make it a "fivesome" ~ it must have been busy in the Moonlight Mint Shipping Department ! B)

Dan Fan

Six-Pack!

@coinsarefun said:

@Twobitcollector said:
    Did you ever make your own slab for a 41 mm owl. Try it you'll like it!

I know you didn't mean this but couldn't resist.........
    I'm kind of in the middle of doing one now. I gathered all the coins and strips, now
    to put it all together like this mock up image below.

The strip piece is so cool! I would have the pieces placed as you did and sandwich them in Plexiglas for either a desktop or wall display.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hear the coins are on their way!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file