Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Huh? What? There was this funny flash light....a blinding light....what happened??

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2017 5:20PM

I have a lot of Dcarr coins i would like to get slabbed, i wish i took advantage of that special :/

I just ran some numbers. I have more invested in Dcarr coins than i thought... 37 orders since 2009.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2017 6:21PM

@1940coupe said:
    anybody else notice the people who are always promoting DC stuff are the ones that wind up with his rare stuff ? and wind up making big bucks on ebay ?

You have and have shown off some pretty rare stuff yourself! I'm jealous of your avatar :smile:

But I do understand where you are coming from. I don't think it's necessarily favoritism for most of what I've seen but geographic proximity. I wish I could visit more of Dan's tables at coin / comic shows and wished he would offer some on his website. I also wished I could attend his open houses. But I haven't been so far and that's life.

• 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:
    I have a lot of Dcarr coins i would like to get slabbed, i wish i took advantage of that special :/

I just ran some numbers. I have more invested in Dcarr coins than i thought... 37 orders since 2009.

Got me beat by ten orders. I'd sold half and still had a 70+ coin sub a while back. And after these last few months it's going to another big sub. I think I'll just ask for the $8 sub fee instead of waiting. They seemed like very accommodating folks. It's nice knowing the silver is better protected than the stock flips.

Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • JBKJBK Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know how DC distributes the less common stuff but I am not inclined to subscribe to any conspiracy theories. In have missed out on some things but also got one or two special ones through a little luck and a little perseverance. For example, if the mintage figures show limited quantities of a special version struck that are not listed for sale, just drop him an email. You might get a response or you might not, but you might get lucky and pry open the window for a special item.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1940coupe said:

@Bullsitter said:
    2018 WW1 Concept Dollar struck on an 1972 Ike Dollar.

Is from more of the special deals at ANA with CascadeChris

Lol. He bought it from me. Who bought it from Cascade. Who attended the ANA and had the chance to buy it there just like anyone else did. So it has already traded hands multiple times, and yet you are mad because he has the "inside scoop". Cascade gave me a good deal on it cause he's a good guy. I then offered it on the BST along with the rest of my Carr pieces. You could have made an offer on it like BullSitter did. I sold it for a very small profit. I was planning on sending it to ANACS once I got my latest order from Dan, but BullSitter now will. Hopefully he can also sell it for a small (or big!) profit. So to recap, you had the chance to buy it at the ANA. You had the chance to buy it from Cascade. You had the chance to buy it from me. And now you will have the chance to buy it from bullsitter. :)

i guess i just need to pay folks to attend these shows for me >:)

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never sold a DC item.
    I like everything I bought, why sell ?
    About half of my goodies came from Daniel's website, the other half came from others via ebay or at local coin shows here in Colorado.

Lindy

I still love his coins and enjoy the chase for the rarities, i will continue.

@LindyS said:
    I've never sold a DC item.
    I like everything I bought, why sell ?
    About half of my goodies came from Daniel's website, the other half came from others via ebay or at local coin shows here in Colorado.

Lindy

I like everything I've bought too, but I also want to make sure my 2 little girls have health insurance and food on the table! If I had unlimited resources, I would probably hold on to everything forever, but since I don't I try to keep some pieces moving if/when I have an offer for profit.

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2017 7:53PM

I'm cool with resellers of DC items.
    Without them I'd have 1/2 of what I've collected.
    Like the seven 1964D Peace I own, all bought after they sold out.
    I really dig DC's various 1964D Peace Dollars.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

@1940coupe said:

@Bullsitter said:
    2018 WW1 Concept Dollar struck on an 1972 Ike Dollar.

Is from more of the special deals at ANA with CascadeChris

Lol. He bought it from me. Who bought it from Cascade. Who attended the ANA and had the chance to buy it there just like anyone else did. So it has already traded hands multiple times, and yet you are mad because he has the "inside scoop". Cascade gave me a good deal on it cause he's a good guy. I then offered it on the BST along with the rest of my Carr pieces. You could have made an offer on it like BullSitter did. I sold it for a very small profit. I was planning on sending it to ANACS once I got my latest order from Dan, but BullSitter now will. Hopefully he can also sell it for a small (or big!) profit. So to recap, you had the chance to buy it at the ANA. You had the chance to buy it from Cascade. You had the chance to buy it from me. And now you will have the chance to buy it from bullsitter. :)

JW, thank you for clearing that up.

1940Coupe, did you get that, do you understand that? There were lots of pieces I liked from the ANA Show that I didn't get but I didn't cry about it. Instead I hit the like button and congratulated them on their purchase. Maybe, just maybe if you put in the time and effort like I do you might get some of these pieces. Well, I'm off to check all the BST listings and to check Dan's site again.

JW, thanks again for making the medal available right here on the PCGS BST..... :*

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:

Same here. I like to get a notice of their next special. Is there a list to be put on or does one have to hawk their website?

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1940coupe said:
    Dan Carr

No soup for you!

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

More power to the flippers. I actually generally dislike that whole process, and keep ALL I've ordered from him and a few bought on the 'bay. Really what are you going to do to ensure evenhandedness? I am sure that many have gone down in value, but his overstrikes & all are some of my favorite "coins" and the ones I most often look at again once purchased & also the ones I show guests or friends.
    I don't worry about it and just appreciate the ones I have.

PS - Danny, can you please make a 1959 wheatback penny? That is one I would like above other requests...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

are some mirror proofs coming out of this?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@renman95 said:

@jessewvu said:

Same here. I like to get a notice of their next special. Is there a list to be put on or does one have to hawk their website?

Go to their website, http://www.anacs.com/ , then click on the right side under "become an ANACS insider" where it says "click "here" to sign up. You don't even have to be an insider to do it though, they advertise it on their main page. All you do is use a promo code, and you have until the end of the month to take advantage of the current one.

edited September 19, 2017 9:08AM

Got my latest order today.. I might be returning a few of the cents :( The steel one in particular has a pretty nasty scratch on it. EDIT- after looking with a loupe, it was some sort of debris! Shew!

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1940coupe said: "..tired of getting treated second class."

Life is not fair! Second class treatment would be a large step up for me. I feel like I'm in the sixth class as Mr. Carr won't give me one of his coins for free. :(

• 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2018 9:27AM

tt

edited January 13, 2018 9:33AM

tt

edited September 19, 2017 3:45PM

@Justacommeman said:

@1940coupe said:
    Dan Carr

No soup for you!

mark

never got soup from him anyway Ebay

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

on a lighter note, Happy Birthday @dcarr, maybe ill get some free stuff now. ;)

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
    edited September 19, 2017 5:04PM

anyone collecting the gold by die state?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

don't cut it

fill up all 5 holes

@MsMorrisine said:
    don't cut it

fill up all 5 holes

There's 9 holes. And I don't have that many leshers...

edited September 20, 2017 2:47PM

Please DON'T cut it. That is so cool. It would be like cutting up a block (4) of rare stamps to spread them around. If it were mine, I'd use the molds to make wax, rubber, or plaster impressions of each and sell them!

If you do cut it, I'd leave the three in the image w/his signature together in one piece.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

File the strip to make the medals fit and display it as you described,,,,,, that would be cool and far neater than just a nine hole strip.

GrandAm :)
  • CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would file the strip holes. It would be tedious though and make sure to use a very fine file for finishing work to make the edges smooth.

The more you VAM..
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't cut it. Use the whole strip. Insert your Lesher's in a few arrangements till you like the look. All three in the center three holes. Two empty, a Lesher, an empty, a Lesher, an empty, a Lesher, two empties. etc

@Insider2 said:
    Please DON'T cut it. That is so cool. It would be like cutting up a block (4) of rare stamps to spread them around. If it were mine, I'd use the molds to make wax, rubber, or plaster impressions of each and sell them!

If you do cut it, I'd leave the three in the image w/his signature together in one piece.

Each 3 hole section has a signature, so the same thing could be done 3 times

edited September 20, 2017 3:21PM

Remember, anything you do to that piece (which you own and it is totally your decision) will change its originality as it came from Mr. Carr.

Just looking at the quality of his work makes me think how much nicer dies will be in the next twenty years. I should hate to be a professional authenticator at a TPGS in 2037.

But remember, it was probably longer than 9 coin to begin with, as both ends show it has been cut already

Buy 9 blanks use them and put the 3 on display below the strip + 9

The strip will look cut and altered. Not good.

Wonder how many individual strikes are around?

@Insider2 said:
    Remember, anything you do to that piece (which you own and it is totally your decision) will change its originality as it came from Mr. Carr.

Just looking at the quality of his work makes me think how much nicer dies will be in the next twenty years. I should hate to be a professional authenticator at a TPGS in 2037.

It's just a strip. No harm in cutting it if each piece has his signature. Wonder why it has 3 signatures? Could it be that Dan thought of this possibility already??

The more you VAM..
    edited January 13, 2018 9:28AM

tt

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1940coupe said:

@Kudbegud said:

@1940coupe said:
    anybody else notice the people who are always promoting DC stuff are the ones that wind up with his rare stuff ? and wind up making big bucks on ebay ?

I notice how dedicated and determined they are. Could it be that they really like his stuff ? It's possible, yes ? Could it be they put a lot of time and effort into obtaining pieces ? More attention and effort usually pays off, yes ? Making a small or large profit on Ebay off any item is how a free market works. Promotion of something you love isn't illegal is it ? As long as no fraud is involved. Are you saying buying low and selling high is Un-American or unethical? If you were into Morgans and made a hobby out of buying and selling them on Ebay would you deserve implied unethical behavior accusations ? Maybe you are a little jealous which isn't very becoming.

what ever http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daniel-Carrs-2018-WW1-Concept-Dollar-/232449466530

Listed for $600 with a B.O. Sold for $315.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    edited September 20, 2017 4:17PM

@OPA said:

@1940coupe said:

@Kudbegud said:

@1940coupe said:

I notice how dedicated and determined they are. Could it be that they really like his stuff ? It's possible, yes ? Could it be they put a lot of time and effort into obtaining pieces ? More attention and effort usually pays off, yes ? Making a small or large profit on Ebay off any item is how a free market works. Promotion of something you love isn't illegal is it ? As long as no fraud is involved. Are you saying buying low and selling high is Un-American or unethical? If you were into Morgans and made a hobby out of buying and selling them on Ebay would you deserve implied unethical behavior accusations ? Maybe you are a little jealous which isn't very becoming.

what ever http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daniel-Carrs-2018-WW1-Concept-Dollar-/232449466530

Listed for $600 with a B.O. Sold for $315.

so whats your point?

edited January 13, 2018 9:13AM

tt

@1940coupe said: "https://www.cointalk.com/ go here search Daniel Carr then click Daniel Darr post here no where else same three people , same pictures same comments."

Thanks for the link! :) So what's your point?

@Insider2 said:
    @1940coupe said: "https://www.cointalk.com/ go here search Daniel Carr then click Daniel Darr post here no where else same three people , same pictures same comments."

Thanks for the link! :) So what's your point?

You decide !

edited January 13, 2018 9:29AM

tt

edited September 20, 2017 4:47PM

@1940coupe said:

@jwitten said:
    Ok, I need some opinions. I am wanting to put together a display similar to this. I think I like this orientation, instead of two eagles on the outside. Here are some problems: the medals do not fit. I could try either filing them down, or the silver blank down, and see if I could get them in, but then I risk damaging them and just messing it up. I COULD just leave it like this, but I'm not sure it would look right. I am wanting to cut off the ends, and just leave it as a 3 medal display. Any ideas on the best way to cut it? Also, I am wanting to go with a capital holder look, with plastic on top and bottom, to protect it. Any ideas on how I would do that?? And yes, I would have 2 leftover signed blanks, which might go on sale.

I think you should cut down your gold owl and your silver and make them fit because the strip is so valuable ! LOL

Man, you've been in major troll mode the past few days

I'm a buyer if you're turning hater and thinking of liquidating your Carr collection 1940coupe.

The more you VAM..
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn't look like to me you can get 3 strips with the ends enclosed if you cut it.

The center strip will have ends but it doesn't look to me there is enough "meat" to keep the ends closed on the 2 outside strips.

GrandAm :)
    edited January 13, 2018 9:15AM

tt

edited January 13, 2018 9:14AM

tt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file