Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2017 7:42PM

@BruceS said:
    As big a fan of Dans work as the next guy, I can't see paying those prices for copper or steel. I did pick up this years silver Ameros. I tend to only buy his silver or gold issues.

I don't think $45 is outrageous in the least personally. Actually, it's a spot on good deal price. PM content is such a negligible factor with his pieces. Escpecially with the fantasy date overstrike series.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I guess. But I see a copper/steel cent and maybe it's a mental thing.

I've been wrong before and it will probably hold its value. Evertime I order something on his site I end up going back and buying something else costing me another $10 in shipping. So im just going to shut my phone off for the night and look again in the am.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like I got the last GP 2013 1 oz. silver token.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the 1907 Lincoln bust. I wish it was the same bust on your 2009 S VDB.

Any chance you'll make some 2009 S VDB using 1907 Lincoln bust in Unc or Proof Dan ?

Lindy

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:

@BruceS said:
    As big a fan of Dans work as the next guy, I can't see paying those prices for copper or steel. I did pick up this years silver Ameros. I tend to only buy his silver or gold issues.

I don't think $45 is outrageous in the least personally. Actually, it's a spot on good deal price. PM content is such a negligible factor with his pieces. Escpecially with the fantasy date overstrike series.

I don't think it's outrageous either, but I think @BruceS had a point about Carr's copper pieces not being as popular.

For example, take a look at his 1910-D Indian Head.
    The proof-like was issued for $80 (both regular and color-toned). One can find both on ebay right now for under issue price.

$74.88:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/DANIEL-CARR-1910-D-INDIAN-HEAD-CENT-OVERSTRIKE-PROOF-LIKE-BEAUTY-FREE-SHIPPING-/202031909253?hash=item2f0a0a4985:g:-OIAAOSw1DtXLPoG

$68.88:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/DANIEL-CARR-1910-D-INDIAN-HEAD-CENT-OVERSTRIKE-COLOR-TONED-PROOF-LIKE-FREE-SHIP-/202028518026?hash=item2f09d68a8a:g:Af4AAOSwnHZYbUYv

The various satin textured versions of the Indian Head were between $40-$75 and these also can be had for those prices when they show up on ebay.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a huge Lincoln fan but I do like the 1907 and bought a few pieces.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought that I read that the pieces that existed on the D Carr website before the ANA, would no longer be available afterwards?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

Quite a bit of difference with the obverses, I like that 1907.

• Options
    1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2018 9:35AM

tt

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting the old binoculars, @dcarr.
    You learn something new everyday!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

I jumped in deep again with some of everything. It will be another big ANACS sub soon. It's the quality of the strike and finish plus the originality of the work that I like. The Hard Times Trillion Dollar Debt piece is this weeks favorite. Can't recall last time I pulled out the MS/PR US typeset. Weird how taste change.

Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2017 12:12PM

@LindyS said:
    I really like the 1907 Lincoln bust. I wish it was the same bust on your 2009 S VDB.

Any chance you'll make some 2009 S VDB using 1907 Lincoln bust in Unc or Proof Dan ?

Lindy

@Bullsitter said:
    Quite a bit of difference with the obverses, I like that 1907.

For the "1942-P", "2009-s", and "2109-s" obverses I used the hub style that would be found on a 1943 coin. This is the same style of Lincoln portrait used on the 1920-1968 coins.

Contrary to popular belief, the steel used for the 1943 cents is not really any harder than the bronze. In fact, the obverses of many steel cents have excellent strikes and details. That is why I used an UNC 1943 for a model.

At some point I think I will do something with a 1916-1919 portrait (which are the ones with the best beard detail).

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

F-F-F-our-ty Five dol-lars?

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2017 11:43AM

@BruceS said:

I'm in the same camp with you in regards to copper. I don't collect much copper period. Not my jam.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

I just want crazy low mintage numbers for issues. Lincoln cent @ $45 without strike restriction, who knows where that ends.

I'd rather pay more for a TRUELY limited issue coin, rather than a coin that hangs out there for months. State the mintage. Stick to it. A $45 dollar Lincoln with multiple choice, doesn't cut it.

Would rather see a single proof copper with a bagger. Multiple choice?

nehhhh.

• Options

@oih82w8 said:
    I thought that I read that the pieces that existed on the D Carr website before the ANA, would no longer be available afterwards?

This is true for the "1917" Peace items.
    Minting has ended for many of the other pre-ANA products, although some remainders are still available.

• Options

@epcjimi1 said:
    I just want crazy low mintage numbers for issues. Lincoln cent @ $45 without strike restriction, who knows where that ends.

Perhaps similar to the "1945" Roosevelt which had a slightly higher ($50) issue price:
    moonlightmint.com/blog_13.htm

• Options
    TeamDennisTeamDennis Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    For those not into copper, would you be interested in a silver one ounce with the 1907 Lincoln VDB and words around it saying it was made with the original plaque? This could be similar to the centennial rounds for the buffalo nickel, Mercury dime, SLQ and WLH. This way, it would be silver and could fit in with an existing set. Just an idea for Dan that I thought would be neat.

That idea would really make me a buyer.It would fit right in with the centennial theme.

• Options
    VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2017 1:14PM

I also like Zoins idea about the one ounce silver issue in the 1907 Lincoln VDB style ~ perhaps even add a 'low mintage' antiqued finish version.

Dan Fan
  • Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

I may purchase an 2017 Amero, or two, I have multiples of the other issues.
    I'm sure I'll like it in hand.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2017 5:05PM

@epcjimi1 said:

I'd rather pay more for a TRUELY limited issue coin, rather than a coin that hangs out there for months. State the mintage. Stick to it. A $45 dollar Lincoln with multiple choice, doesn't cut it.

Did you like the antiqued 2017 silver owl slug? Dan has the limited edition items at his show tables which are well worth attending.

• Options
    edited August 26, 2017 5:06PM

@Zoins said:

@epcjimi1 said:

Did you like the antiqued 2017 silver owl slug? Dan has the limited edition items at his show tables which are well worth attending.

Yep, and if it's possible I'll dang sure be there.

• Options

A lot of items out of stock now:

• 2017 CG 2 gm silver owl
    • 2017 CG 1/4 oz gold
    • 2017 Lesher
    • 1917/2017 Peace dollar - all
    • 2013-D GP silver
    • 2011 Debt Pyramid HTT silver
    • 2009 Colorado Gold Rush Sesquicentennial gold
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

Silver would be interesting.

Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

What, Z, is the 1913 D GP silver?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

@7Jaguars said:
    What, Z, is the 1913 D GP silver?

If you mean the 2013-D GP silver, GP stands for Grabener Press:

http://www.dc-coin.com/2006-ddenvermint100thanniversary20token1troyozsilverprooflike-1.aspx

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2017 7:28PM

@Zoins said:
    For those not into copper, would you be interested in a silver one ounce with the 1907 Lincoln VDB and words around it saying it was made with the original plaque? This could be similar to the centennial rounds for the buffalo nickel, Mercury dime, SLQ and WLH. This way, it would be silver and could fit in with an existing set. Just an idea for Dan that I thought would be neat.

Great idea!

With existing Carr silver Rounds, it'll complete a nice early-20th Century "Type Set"...

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    A lot of items out of stock now:

• 2017 CG 2 gm silver owl
    • 2017 CG 1/4 oz gold
    • 2017 Lesher
    • 1917/2017 Peace dollar - all
    • 2013-D GP silver
    • 2011 Debt Pyramid HTT silver
    • 2009 Colorado Gold Rush Sesquicentennial gold

Does out of stock equate with sold out or no more production?

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did someone say the CG (2015?) DE gold from the ANA "hoard" is available again?

Also, are the cents RD?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:

Also, are the cents RD?

Which gold?

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2017 1:03PM

@MsMorrisine said:

Yes, the same 2011 CG DE Dan offered recently is now being offered on the bay. Looks to be in great condition!

• Options
    edited August 27, 2017 1:27PM

Oh. I was mistaking DE as Dave Emslie not Double Eagle. That's where my confusion laid.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got the double eagle on ebay. I don't mind owning it for awhile, but thought I would offer it up in case someone else wanted it more, lol.

• Options
    edited August 27, 2017 5:13PM

@CascadeChris said:
    Oh. I was mistaking DE as Dave Emslie not Double Eagle. That's where my confusion laid.

You're not mistaken. While DE can mean Double Eagle, the 2011 CG Double Eagle is also a Carr Emslie piece ;)

• Options

Are the cents going to be RD?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just saw the new cent overstrikes on Dan's website.

Really really wish that there was not VDB on the obverse of the 1907 cent at the base of Lincoln at his shoulder... Lincoln Cents didn't have VDB on the obverse until 1918 so it just seems wrong to me. But I'll still probably get one ;)

• Options

@illini420 said:
    Just saw the new cent overstrikes on Dan's website.

Really really wish that there was not VDB on the obverse of the 1907 cent at the base of Lincoln at his shoulder... Lincoln Cents didn't have VDB on the obverse until 1918 so it just seems wrong to me. But I'll still probably get one ;)

Don't forget a few 2109's too ;)

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

how about an "accidental" wrong planchet in gold.

• Options
    edited August 29, 2017 10:51AM

Or silver

Paladium would be even better

• Options
    edited August 29, 2017 10:49PM

@HalfStrike said:
    how about an "accidental" wrong planchet in gold.

This is a nice one, but it does say gold.

• Options

How could I forget?

The Aluminium !

But what date?

Perhaps the first year of metals change, 1982?

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sure would be nice if he came to an east coast convention, like Baltimore

• Options

@Voyageur said:
    First one of these I have seen ~ 1964-D Morgan double struck clashed and cancelled die pair#1...

From the information on Dan's website it look like 9 were struck with 2 of them having matte finish. This must be one that was picked up at the ANA in Denver, but not by me. :'(

;)

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Chris, why do I suspect that you have one of each ( or multiples thereof ) ?

Dan Fan
  • Options

@Voyageur said:
    Hey Chris, why do I suspect that you have one of each ( or multiples thereof ) ?

I got that one at Denver. Wish I had multiples lol.

The more you VAM..
  • Options

@jessewvu said:
    It sure would be nice if he came to an east coast convention, like Baltimore

he drove out, if I recall correctly, to Baltimore once. it was maybe 10 years ago.

this was back when the parody quarters were being sold.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file