Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really don't like the fake Dan Carr signatures ANACS has been issuing lately... if Dan is no longer going to actually sign these, I'd prefer no signature vs. a fake one.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

@cmerlo1 said:
    My Denver ANA purchases, just back from ANACS:

Is there anything on the ANACS holder that differentiates this silver eclipse medal from the ones without the hologram? Seems like the holder should mention the hologram, since it is the rarer version.

Good question

The more you VAM..
  • Options

@CascadeChris said:

@jwitten said:

@cmerlo1 said:

Is there anything on the ANACS holder that differentiates this silver eclipse medal from the ones without the hologram? Seems like the holder should mention the hologram, since it is the rarer version.

Good question. I hope they differentiate flat edge too.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

The new stuff I recently purchased doesn't have the signed labels anymore either. Did I miss an announcement?

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    I just got these back from ICG

Congrats on the grades! They look great!

Out of curiosity, why do you choose ICG? I like ICG but ANACS has a lock on the Moonlight Mint labels.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@GRANDAM said:
    I just got these back from ICG

Congrats on the grades! They look great!

Out of curiosity, why do you choose ICG? I like ICG but ANACS has a lock on the Moonlight Mint labels.

I do not like the look of the current ANACS Slab.

I sent a few coins to them years ago and I ended cracking them out because of my dislike of the slab.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:

@jwitten said:

@cmerlo1 said:

Good question

Chris- PM me the varieties for the Eclipse coin and I'll get them to Paul... Dan only had the holographic ones when I bought mine, and I wasn't aware of any edge varieties...

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2017 2:51AM

@Bigpoppas said:

@Zoins said:
    An antique 2017 silver owl slug just sold for $500 on a BIN of $700:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Daniel-Carr-1-5-oz-Clark-Gruber-Antiqued-Silver-Owl-Only-13-made-/232449470554

Clue #1: The guy drives a red Mustang !!!

He was somehow lucky enough to acquire one from Dan and then proudly showed it off on the forum only to flip it less than a week later :wink:

That was a second try .. first time auction at $500 start didn't get any bites, so it was re-listed with a $700 teaser price :wink:

Ohhhh joy !!!!

Bigpoopa, clue #1, you don't have a clue.....but you did get 1 of 3 correct, I do have a red Mustang.

1. You said I acquired one owl when it was actually two. I kept the one in the photo, the one you said I flipped.
    2. The first listing was ended early bc of an offer not bc it didn't get "any bites".

Like I said, you don't have a clue and I find your statements funny since you're flipping 23 Daniel Carr items on Ebay. I also saw where you "flipped" your 2016 Owl for $188 last week....after a few tries above $200.

Ohhhh joy !!!!!

• Options

@Voyageur said:
    I suspect there will probably be a number of Dan's items from the Denver ANA up for sale / resale. Hopefully, he will have his website back in operation shortly with some "leftovers". B)

I like leftovers.

• Options

@cmerlo1 said:

That 1922 looks very good, I was wondering how ANACS would grade these. I have some of the "worn" 1915 Mercs, SLQ and WL Halfs that I'll send in on their next special.

• Options
    edited August 20, 2017 3:34AM

@Voyageur said:
    Sometimes you may only have one opportunity, like this 2006-2007 Colorado Ski Country Gold Pass Token ~ brass, 63mm, swirl finish, with fob, translucent enamel logo, uniface without serial number. Listed under Special Event Tokens on Dan's website. Obtained from a very kind gentleman who was able to stop by his table at the Denver ANA. Can't say as I have ever seen anything quite like it....

That my friend is way to cool, I've never seen anything like it either, excellent purchase. Was it just 2 of those made?

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:
    Thought I'd give an update on my 2oz Broken Sword progress. Its been sitting out for around 4-5 months now I think. Looking good! Really adds a layer of even more depth to it. Deciding whether I want it to go much longer and also if I want to flip it over or leave the obverse as is...

Oh Gawd I want those!!!!

• Options
    edited August 20, 2017 12:50PM

@CascadeChris said:
    Thought I'd give an update on my 2oz Broken Sword progress. Its been sitting out for around 4-5 months now I think. Looking good! Really adds a layer of even more depth to it. Deciding whether I want it to go much longer and also if I want to flip it over or leave the obverse as is...

Also, I picked up a BS overstrike at Denver to use as a pocket piece. Going on 2 weeks and also looking good...

That toning looks cool, I have an extra so I might try mine. What do you lay it on?

That 1917 is pretty darn cool.......good gosh !!

• Options

@CascadeChris said:

Also, I picked up a BS overstrike at Denver to use as a pocket piece. Going on 2 weeks and also looking good...

Great progress. They both look great. I might have to start storing mine better as well! :smile:

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

@CascadeChris said:

That toning looks cool, I have an extra so I might try mine. What do you lay it on?

That 1917 is pretty darn cool.......good gosh !!

A cut piece of scrap red wood from when I replaced my yard gate last year. But local environment plays a part as well.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

Super nice on the 2oz

Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2017 4:41PM

According to the card in the flip, my Eclipse medal is Obv: Satin Rev: Proof-Like & Hologram 40mm Smooth Edge Marked "ONE TROY OZ . 999 SILVER"

@cmerlo1 said:

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

@cmerlo1 said:
    According to the card in the flip, my Eclipse medal is Obv: Satin Rev: Proof-Like & Hologram 40mm Smooth Edge Marked "ONE TROY OZ . 999 SILVER"

@cmerlo1 said:

Dan hand-wrote "Flat Edge" on the back of the FE inserts. The printed info is the same on both.

The more you VAM..
  • Options

@CascadeChris said:

@cmerlo1 said:

@cmerlo1 said:

Dan hand-wrote "Flat Edge" on the back of the FE inserts. The printed info is the same on both.

Mine isn't one of those. Looks like total mintage was 172 pieces, is that correct?

• Options

@cmerlo1 said:

@CascadeChris said:

@cmerlo1 said:

@cmerlo1 said:

Mine isn't one of those. Looks like total mintage was 172 pieces, is that correct?

For the hologram ones, yes. 157 rounded edge & 15 Flat Edge.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Moonlight Mint's ordering website still: UNDER CONSTRUCTION.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@OPA said:
    Moonlight Mint's ordering website still: UNDER CONSTRUCTION.

I'm guessing he's on a well deserved "eclipse" vacation.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    VoyageurVoyageur Posts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Correcting a previous 'observation' posted by me about the soldier's patch on Daniel Carr's 2018 WW1 Concept Commemorative Dollar appearing to be the 88th division. Now that I have one of them 'in hand', it is fairly clear the insignia is that of the 82nd Infantry Division (before they became Airborne in WW2)...

Members of the "All American" 82nd division came from all 48 states including a young draftee from Tennessee by the name of Alvin C. York.

Dan Fan
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why are the binoculars reversed? I like the concept, but to me the soldier's pose looks unnatural.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭

That whole concept is wrong.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

secret stash!

• Options
    edited August 25, 2017 4:25AM

My new 2015-D Denver Coin Club 8th Anniversary medal overstruck on a 1992-W White House Commemorative Dollar...

Dan Fan
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

no.

• Options
    edited August 25, 2017 4:36AM

or overstruck on a 1900 -O Morgan Dollar...

Dan Fan
  • Options

He's backkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Bullsitter
    Order placed

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2017 5:31PM

@DCW said:
    Why are the binoculars reversed? I like the concept, but to me the soldier's pose looks unnatural.

Those are WW1 US Army Bausch & Lomb binoculars. They are not reversed on the coin:

PS:
    This was not the winning design in the US Mint competition. I do not know what design won (I'm not sure anybody does), but it wasn't mine.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone else think that the "P" mintmark looks funky on the 1942 steel cent?
    I would think it would be cooler to have it on the reverse, similar to the silver war nickels.

• Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    He's backkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Thanks ordered more stuff.... :)

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I was so hoping for a 1959 "wheat", maybe even with an "S"???

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just loaded up! Man, I spend more with him than I do the mint! And usually I get a better return on my investment, too, haha.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow after all that time, nothing really interest me. Well maybe 2009 S VDB

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2017 6:49PM

I see some new Lincoln cents in my future! :smile:

Some interesting additions would be:

• 1942 steel cents with the mintmark on the reverse like the nickel as mentioned by @U1chicago
    • 1907 VDB MPL
    • 1942 proof steel cents, similar to 1942 proof aluminum cent
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2017 6:51PM

@Twobitcollector said:
    Wow after all that time, nothing really interest me. Well maybe 2009 S VDB

Same here...I also thought about the 2009-S VDB as something to fill the 1909-S VDB spot in my Lincoln album, but for now have decided against that.

• Options
    The more you VAM..
  • Options

I like the 1907 vdb, 2009-s vdb & 1942p steel

The more you VAM..
  • Options

A 1907 VDB copper ounce with surrounding text describing the piece using Brenner's original cast could be nice too, like the 1917 2oz Peace.

• Options
    edited August 25, 2017 7:16PM

@U1chicago said:
    I would think it would be cooler to have it on the reverse, similar to the silver war nickels.

Probably so it's less likely to be confused by a casual collector as a possible pattern in preparation for the 43 steels

The more you VAM..
  • Options

@CascadeChris said:

@U1chicago said:

Probably so it can't be confused as a possible pattern by a casual collector in preparation for the 43 steels

A casual collector might still see it as being prep for a 1943 strike ("I'm telling you it's a pattern, that's why the mint mark is above the date and not below the date").

• Options

@7Jaguars said:
    Wow, I was so hoping for a 1959 "wheat", maybe even with an "S"???

I would like it to be even more unique and have a 1959 doubled die S-VDB

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...I just want to say...for the record...over the last 8-12 months I have sold off 95% of my @dcarr collection of Kennedy overstrikes (14 pieces I think). All of them on eBay (BIN), one customer at a time. It was a pleasure as I did not lose money on one single piece, with some even doubling what I paid from Dan (including ANACS fees). I kept what I am going to keep so nothing for me to push by sharing this info...Thanks Dan and keep up the Great Work!

...another thing to share...the only time I ever sent any of my raw coins to ANACS for plastic...was because I was sending in @dcarr pieces...HINT HINT ;)

• Options
    edited August 25, 2017 7:25PM

@U1chicago said:

@CascadeChris said:

@U1chicago said:

Probably so it can't be confused as a possible pattern by a casual collector in preparation for the 43 steels

A casual collector might still see it as being prep for a 1943 strike ("I'm telling you it's a pattern, that's why the mint mark is above the date and not below the date").

Well nothing is fool proof. Emphasis on fool. Like the 2009 "proofed" ASE. He makes sure to use I think 2 or 3 distinctively odd or different elements to an overstrike design that keep them far enough away but close enough to be fun.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

As big a fan of Dans work as the next guy, I can't see paying those prices for copper or steel. I did pick up this years silver Ameros. I tend to only buy his silver or gold issues.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file