Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1940coupe said:

@CascadeChris said:
    I'm a buyer if you're turning hater and thinking of liquidating your Carr collection 1940coupe.

already have you blocked on ebay would sell for melt value before you

Wow. You have gone full troll. I've never done a darn thing to you. Good luck in life bro.

The more you VAM..
  • 1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2018 9:11AM

@CascadeChris said:

@1940coupe said:

@CascadeChris said:
    I'm a buyer if you're turning hater and thinking of liquidating your Carr collection 1940coupe.

already have you blocked on ebay would sell for melt value before you

Wow. You have gone full troll. I've never done a darn thing to you. Good luck in life br

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    It doesn't look like to me you can get 3 strips with the ends enclosed if you cut it.

The center strip will have ends but it doesn't look to me there is enough "meat" to keep the ends closed on the 2 outside strips.

You are probably right, and I've thought about that. The thing is, I think a 3 coin strip would look best, as the 9 strip is pretty darn long to display. I would keep the middle one, and probably sell the other 2. The value would be hurt not being completely enclosed, but it is still a really cool D. Carr piece.

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2017 6:01PM

I'm keeping my DC 9 hole'r .999 octagon strip whole.
    I really like it's three hand engraved signatures, as delivered.

I'm not going to file it, chop it or whatever...

It was essentially free to me, bought with cashed out quarterly ebay bucks & I won it via flea bay at silver spot melt.

;^)

Lindy

@LindyS said:

It was essentially free to me, bought with cashed out quarterly ebay bucks & I won it via flea bay at silver spot melt.

;^)

Lindy

Ya, you stole yours!

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

What would someone do with an open end 3 hole?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

@MsMorrisine said:
    What would someone do with an open end 3 hole?

I was thinking about making a wood frame to go around the edge of it, then you could not tell it was slightly opened. OR I could cut it so there are 2 closed sets of 3, and the middle one would have 2 open ends. Hmm.

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

i bet I could cut it, with very little loss. just do it very slowly.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.

Or I could try to put together a set of 9 different lesher medals. Yikes, that would cost a pretty penny!

If I recall right,
    it weighs just over 5 ounces of .999 silver,
    thus its the heaviest DC item I own.

@jwitten said:

@LindyS said:

;^)

Lindy

Ya, you stole yours!

Just weighed mine up. 6.12 oz.

edited September 20, 2017 6:24PM

JW, I still think what we talked about in our PMs back a few months ago would work. Just would need the right tools and a lot if patients.

What is the gap measurements? In mm? At it thinnest?

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
    edited September 20, 2017 6:51PM

I think mine sold as 172.1 grams.
    I remember mine was lighter of the 2 offers.

edit:

My strip weighs 172.10 grams

@jwitten said:
    Just weighed mine up. 6.12 oz.

edited September 20, 2017 6:48PM

@BruceS said:
    JW, I still think what we talked about in our PMs back a few months ago would work. Just would need the right tools and a lot if patients.

I think it would be too thin. One side is less than 2 mm. I know you were talking about filing the strip down too, but one of them has less than 1 mm in between the holes (3rd picture), so you would probably have to file the coins. I'm beginning to think just sitting them above or below the strip would be the best option.

edited September 20, 2017 6:55PM

@jwitten said:

@BruceS said:

I think it would be too thin. One side is less than 2 mm. I know you were talking about filing the strip down too, but one of them has less than 1 mm in between the holes (3rd picture), so you would probably have to file the coins. I'm beginning to think just sitting them above or below the strip would be the best option.

Wow that is thin!

sitting them above could look cool too, sitting in some sort of display. like some Plexiglas over them. so many possibility's.....let me know if you cut them though.

eBay ID-bruceshort978

Something like this is what I have in mind... but these are custom made, and minimum order of 6! Blah http://www.lucitetombstones.com/acrylic-lucite-product_entrapment_encasement.htm

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2017 8:06PM

@1940coupe said:

@jwitten said:
    Ok, I need some opinions. I am wanting to put together a display similar to this. I think I like this orientation, instead of two eagles on the outside. Here are some problems: the medals do not fit. I could try either filing them down, or the silver blank down, and see if I could get them in, but then I risk damaging them and just messing it up. I COULD just leave it like this, but I'm not sure it would look right. I am wanting to cut off the ends, and just leave it as a 3 medal display. Any ideas on the best way to cut it? Also, I am wanting to go with a capital holder look, with plastic on top and bottom, to protect it. Any ideas on how I would do that?? And yes, I would have 2 leftover signed blanks, which might go on sale.

I think you should cut down your gold owl and your silver and make them fit because the strip is so valuable ! LOL

Perhaps we are both upset we didn't get one of these. :( I feel like a second class citizen!

edited September 20, 2017 8:07PM

@1940coupe said: "For those who dont know https://www.ebay.com/usr/waripaugh pS be sure and check out completed listings."

I fell for that one. There is nothing for sale at: "see items." Looks like I cannot get a break on some D. Carr stuff.

@jwitten said:
    Something like this is what I have in mind... but these are custom made, and minimum order of 6! Blah http://www.lucitetombstones.com/acrylic-lucite-product_entrapment_encasement.htm

When I was a YN, I put a beautiful, patinated 1770 8 R in lucite. About 3 months later I decided I like to hold the "raw" coin again just as when it was first given to me. I cracked it out. Unfortunately, about half of the surface patina stayed on the plastic and the coin was ugly and splotchy!

edited September 20, 2017 8:20PM

@Insider2 said:

@jwitten said:

When I was a YN, I put a beautiful, patinated 1770 8 R in lucite. About 3 months later I decided I like to hold the "raw" coin again just as when it was first given to me. I cracked it out. Unfortunately, about half of the surface patina stayed on the plastic and the coin was ugly and splotchy!

I would not put it in something that would damage it (other than having to cut the strip). More like sandwiching it between plexiglass. I went ahead and bought a sheet on eBay tonight, and here is my rough sketch up plan. It will have 6 screws from capital holders, which I THINK will be just right for it.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2017 3:31AM

Where did these strips come from?
    I didn't get any..... :'( .....I'm going to get my DC medals and go home... >:)

edited September 21, 2017 5:09AM

@jwitten said:
    Or I could try to put together a set of 9 different lesher medals. Yikes, that would cost a pretty penny!

Hold on JW, I'll get in touch with my special contacts and see if I can get you a special deal on these. They had a few monster toned examples last week on Ebay, even had one with a Chinese Chop Mark but I bought that one and sold it for $1,500.

Please let me and the other second class collectors in on that special deal. I'm feeling so left out. :(
    I just might start trolling all of you "insiders" that get the special deals.

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was kind of leery to pay so much for the copper VDB's but after receiving them today I have to say they are gorgeous and exceeded my expectations. As a bonus Dan signed one of my inserts personally, I've never gotten a signed one from him.

Many happy BST transactions

He used to sign all the inserts,(I belive) but the last few orders I have received have not been signed. He may have discontinue that time consuming part of the process, but IDK that for sure.

eBay ID-bruceshort978

@cheezhed said:
    I was kind of leery to pay so much for the copper VDB's but after receiving them today I have to say they are gorgeous and exceeded my expectations. As a bonus Dan signed one of my inserts personally, I've never gotten a signed one from him.

Sounds good, got any pics?

I've got another unique goody headed my way!

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got my Lincolns today & was happy with the strike and general color but not happy about some already having spots to set in. Yikes!

I'd still like to know why he can't do a 1959 "wheatie"....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

Period in the middle variety and mm location varieties.

Am I evil?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    I got my Lincolns today & was happy with the strike and general color but not happy about some already having spots to set in. Yikes!

I'd still like to know why he can't do a 1959 "wheatie"....

Sorry about that. Copper is unpredictable and reactive, especially the older copper that I am striking over.
    Try soaking the coins in vinegar and then rinse under the tap and pat dry with a clean soft cotton bath towel.

@66Tbird said:
    Throw some ideas at me, I do not like flying blind. It's just a rough render.

What about something that could be hung on a wall?

I'd do something other than the cap plastic type for a wall hang.

It's pretty short in both directions.

The whole strip vertical would be good if not for the sideways signatures.

@66Tbird said:
    Simple, straight forward, glass and Rosewood.

Ok, how good are you? Can you do some mock ups with 3 leshers in there?? Also, can you compare the 3 strip vs the 9??

And no matter what I do, it's going to look amateurish now, thanks! haha

• 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

I'll give it a shot, tomorrow. Which ones?

Need something designed and 3D printed?

@66Tbird said:

@jwitten said:

I'll give it a shot, tomorrow. Which ones?

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dan it's your show you do as you see fit. You will never please everybody. I sued EBay a number of years ago so naturally I don't frequent EBay nor have a bought anything there since 2003. Regardless I'll find a way to get the goods if it makes sense. You're a good man

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

I also have no issue with the way you do things. I haven't had the privilege of being able to attend a show you are at, or visit your shop, so I have had to buy a few of the special items second market. Keep up the good work!

Like you said you can't please everybody, so don't try. We appreciate what you do and your work speaks for itself. Love the new stuff and keep it coming. I'm still waiting for my free gold pieces for announcing your birthday. You can find my address in your website database, thank you very much.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
  • dmwestdmwest Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭

@BruceS said:
    Like you said you can't please everybody, so don't try. We appreciate what you do and your work speaks for itself. Love the new stuff and keep it coming. I'm still waiting for my free gold pieces for announcing your birthday. You can find my address in your website database, thank you very much.

Hahaha. He said "free gold". Too funny.

Don't quote me on that.

edited September 23, 2017 3:56AM

@dcarr said:

But next time I have a special coins that aren't a normal product, I think I will list them as eBay auctions.

'
    Sounds great, how can we watch for these items, do you have a Ebay store?

edited September 23, 2017 4:43AM

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

@dcarr said:

But next time I have a special coins that aren't a normal product, I think I will list them as eBay auctions.

'
    Sounds great, how can we watch for these items, do you have a Ebay store?

Yes, tell us your seller ID so we can follow your store

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file