Comments

• Options
    NickpattonNickpatton Posts: 338 ✭✭✭✭

@Satchmo said:
    So I just added the 43 S to the collection 😎

Wow, “All I can say is, Peace brother”✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️👍

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice presentation, @Satchmo ! Well done!

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robec
    me too but crap my photos don't do it justice.

Sorry, but DC could put any date on this Peace dollar and I would be a buyer. These are amazing.

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the octagon owls are sold out: both PL and antiqued.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone surprised by how low some of the 1921 Carr Peace Dollars have sold for?
    One seller in particular seemed to blow out a large inventory of them via auction (where many went in the $90-$120 range). I think this recent auction is the new low point ($60 vs issue price of $145).

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not surprised. I've seen lot's of low priced auctions of DCarr items in no reserve auctions. I've seen some of his items pop up in larger auction firm bulk lots with no mention of them being anything other than bullion. Even if he is more widely know that say 10-15 years ago we have to remember that this is a niche area of the overall collector market. IMO if you are trying to sell your DCarr collection or just like to flip his items, no reserve is not the best way to go.

• Options

@U1chicago said:
    I think this recent auction is the new low point ($60 vs issue price of $145).

Had I been attentive, I would have been bidding on that one.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:

I missed that one too. It ending at 7:30 am didn't help the seller.

• Options

@SPalladino said:

@U1chicago said:

Had I been attentive, I would have been bidding on that one.

I had a low "tracker" bid on it and also forgot to come back. :s

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

@U1chicago said:

I missed that one too. It ending at 7:30 am didn't help the seller.

Yes the timing was not great either. An evening end time would have been a better idea.

• Options

I ain’t got to money…….. or I’d tried to win it‼️‼️🎯🎯🎯

• Options

@bigjpst said:
    I'm not surprised. I've seen lot's of low priced auctions of DCarr items in no reserve auctions. I've seen some of his items pop up in larger auction firm bulk lots with no mention of them being anything other than bullion. Even if he is more widely know that say 10-15 years ago we have to remember that this is a niche area of the overall collector market. IMO if you are trying to sell your DCarr collection or just like to flip his items, no reserve is not the best way to go.

No reserve auctions are certainly not the best way to go in a more niche market. Some of my Carr pieces were also favorable auction buys. Some still get bid up but in general one is better off with a buy-it-now (and possibly best offer) listing.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2023 1:46PM

@U1chicago said:
    One seller in particular seemed to blow out a large inventory of them via auction (where many went in the $90-$120 range). I think this recent auction is the new low point ($60 vs issue price of $145).

One sold a week earlier for a best offer of some unknown amount under $189, but most likely $150 or more (not my listing): https://ebay.com/itm/225631236798

The <$189 listing had better pictures, so that could be one factor.

A couple other cheap results of note lately, that I see on eBay results (not my listings):

2020 Covid silver round ($40): https://ebay.com/itm/195882063087

2009 "proofed" Silver Eagle (thin "DC" mint mark) ($71) : hhttps://ebay.com/itm/134663529407

I have, however, noticed that the "1964-D" Peace have come back up in price. After I came out with the "Die Pair 9" issue, all of them were usually selling in the $225 - $275 range, which was lower than what they were prior to Die Pair 9. Now they seem to be selling for $350-$450 again.

• Options

Beautiful, @robec !
    Looking at your beautiful photo collage, it visually demonstrates the volume and range of Dan's Peace issues.
    Of the 1921-1935 US Mint issues of the Peace dollar, I have 24 total of the different date/MM permutations.
    In comparison, I have 21 of Dan's Peace dollar -related issues, including the 1921-2021 centennial round.
    If Dan produces 1929. 1930, 1932, and 1933 fantasy Peace issues, the total holdings in my Moonlight Mint Peace collection will match the original us mint issues of the Peace dollar (counting the 1922 high relief).
    ...and the photo collage of your collection will become even more beautiful.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    BucketHeadBucketHead Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

Saw that one of Dans 36 Peace Dollars recently went over 600 on the bay. Believe that was an auction.
    I only have 6 of his Peace so far but am thinking that trying to put a collection together like @robec has would be a fun project.
    Cheers.

• Options
    D808LFD808LF Posts: 422 ✭✭✭✭✭

A 2022 (P) Peace ANACS MS70 went for $287.60 yesterday. A 1964-D Peace Die Pair 5 ANACS MS67 went for $355 five days. ago.

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

• Options

@D808LF said:
    A 2022 (P) Peace ANACS MS70 went for $287.60 yesterday. A 1964-D Peace Die Pair 5 ANACS MS67 went for $355 five days. ago.

Those are solid results. I sold a die pair 5 MS 67 1964 for 235 earlier this year on IG (seems like a good deal for the buyer :) ).

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BucketHead said:
    Saw that one of Dans 36 Peace Dollars recently went over 600 on the bay. Believe that was an auction.
    I only have 6 of his Peace so far but am thinking that trying to put a collection together like @robec has would be a fun project.
    Cheers.

I wish you luck. It will be much tougher for you than what I went through. Only one of mine was bought through the secondary market. The 1964’s will be the toughest to find and cost the most……..even though they aren’t as pretty as the high relief examples.

@SPalladino said:
    Beautiful, @robec !
    Looking at your beautiful photo collage, it visually demonstrates the volume and range of Dan's Peace issues.
    Of the 1921-1935 US Mint issues of the Peace dollar, I have 24 total of the different date/MM permutations.
    In comparison, I have 21 of Dan's Peace dollar -related issues, including the 1921-2021 centennial round.
    If Dan produces 1929. 1930, 1932, and 1933 fantasy Peace issues, the total holdings in my Moonlight Mint Peace collection will match the original us mint issues of the Peace dollar (counting the 1922 high relief).
    ...and the photo collage of your collection will become even more beautiful.

I’ve tried to keep up with all the Peace dollars since the first 1964-D came out a dozen or so years ago. I didn’t plan on going with the related issues like the centennial round or any of the bulk pieces. I am missing at least one of the 70-D’Souza, so I am on the lookout for those……..don’t know how I missed them. I will try keeping up with any upcoming issue as long as I can.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BucketHead said:
    Saw that one of Dans 36 Peace Dollars recently went over 600 on the bay. Believe that was an auction...

Sounds right.

Last August, one '36 Peace Dollar sold on ebay for $599.95. Worth every penny IMO. Beautiful piece... MS70 DCAM. And mintage only 100.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2023 7:16AM

How about a future date Peace Dollar,,,,, say the year 2525,,,,,,

If man is still alive,,,,

GrandAm :)
  • Options

Wow @COCollector I feel lucky to have a DCAM 70 1936 Peace Dollar.

@GRANDAM How about 2121 Peace Dollar, the 200 year anniversary. Some of us might have grandchildren or great grandchildren that will be alive then. Might me a neat piece for them.

• Options
    felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭

@TopcatCoin said:
    Dan did strike a 2109 s Lincoln cent. Not sure of any other future dated overstrikes.

The 2109 s was a real sleeper, 48 minted. The 2009 s zinc memorial had 39 minted. That's a crazy low mintage for one of Dan's overstrike coins.

http://www.moonlightmint.com/blog_20.htm

• Options

At first, I wonder if future dated fantasy issues would be problematic if the US Mint eventually produces a "same coin". But then, I had to correct my thinking....there will certainly not be a cent produced in 2109, much less of the same design. And there will not likely be a 2121 Peace dollar.
    .....but they will still be making Kennedy halves in 2164 :D

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    BucketHeadBucketHead Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    How about a future date Peace Dollar,,,,, say the year 2525,,,,,,

If man is still alive,,,,

Raises some interesting legal questions. Good post

• Options

Saw this on a Grove Minting Company Post‼️

• Options

@Nickpatton Yes, DC did 9 of each on unpolished dies. I was able to get all but the CC. Those were already gone. The 9 come with different inserts and look different.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:
    @Nickpatton Yes, DC did 9 of each on unpolished dies. I was able to get all but the CC. Those were already gone. The 9 come with different inserts and look different.

That is true. But I think the Grove Minting post has to do with the earlier polished strikes having a little more frost on the devices and more polish in the fields when compared to the later polished strikes.

• Options

Bulk-Handled are on their way. Shipping now. Check your informed delivery accounts and watch for updates :smiley:

• Options

Great @Nickpatton Mine are still "Moving through Network" and "arriving late".

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:

Something wrong with this picture. I think those were overstruck on high relief 1921 Peace Dollar coins. Not many were struck. I really think mine is worth more in the original flip.

• Options

That’s why I don’t have .99 cent start auctions.
    I start at a price I won’t mind parting with it‼️‼️👍👍‼️

• Options

@fiftysevener It is hit and miss with DC items in auctions. There were 525 of these made. The special one is High Grade and only 100 were made.

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:
    @fiftysevener It is hit and miss with DC items in auctions. There were 525 of these made. The special one is High Grade and only 100 were made.

Thanks for the info. Mine is indeed the High Grade coin and even has that golden tint that many of the original coins have.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file