Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got some of my grades from a Denver show submission. (I think I dropped 4 submissions.)

7543464 2022 S TOKEN DAN CARR MORGAN DOLLAR O/S ON USA 1878-1921 $ 58
    7543465 2022 S TOKEN DAN CARR MORGAN DOLLAR O/S ON USA 1878-1921 $ 58
    7543466 2022 (P) TOKEN DAN CARR MORGAN DOLLAR O/S ON USA 1878-1921 $ 69 CAMEO
    7543467 2022 S TOKEN DAN CARR MORGAN DOLLAR O/S ON USA 1878-1921 $ 70 CAMEO
    7543468 1622 TOKEN N8 Coin is too large for ANACS Cache holder.
    7543469 1622 TOKEN N8 Coin is too large for ANACS Cache holder.
    7543470 2023 D TOKEN DAN CARR CLARK GRUBER $60 1.5 Oz .999 COLORADO SILVER 70 CAMEO

• Options
    NickpattonNickpatton Posts: 337 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks alefzero……. you are saving us the hassle of sending those 1622 cobs,
    just to have them returned ungraded‼️👍‼️
    Congratulations on those cameos and MS70s‼️👍👍

• Options
    smuglrsmuglr Posts: 407 ✭✭✭

I know little about grading but have seen a number of the 2022 Morgan O/S and am curious - why would some of these get 58s?

• Options

Thanks @Bullsitter I've seen that. Could you tell me more about what those are? And who receives those vs high-grade? Is it something someone would specifically request?

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smuglr said:
    Thanks @Bullsitter I've seen that. Could you tell me more about what those are? And who receives those vs high-grade? Is it something someone would specifically request?

I'm not sure but if I had to make a guess, I'd guess the Denver Coin Show since they weren't listed on Dan's website.

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alefzero said:
    Got some of my grades from a Denver show submission. (I think I dropped 4 submissions.)

7543464 2022 S TOKEN DAN CARR MORGAN DOLLAR O/S ON USA 1878-1921 $ 58
    7543465 2022 S TOKEN DAN CARR MORGAN DOLLAR O/S ON USA 1878-1921 $ 58
    7543466 2022 (P) TOKEN DAN CARR MORGAN DOLLAR O/S ON USA 1878-1921 $ 69 CAMEO
    7543467 2022 S TOKEN DAN CARR MORGAN DOLLAR O/S ON USA 1878-1921 $ 70 CAMEO
    7543468 1622 TOKEN N8 Coin is too large for ANACS Cache holder.
    7543469 1622 TOKEN N8 Coin is too large for ANACS Cache holder.
    7543470 2023 D TOKEN DAN CARR CLARK GRUBER $60 1.5 Oz .999 COLORADO SILVER 70 CAMEO

I love getting the cameo designation. Nice!
    I'm holding a number of raw items from Moonlight Mint that I'll be sending in as soon as the 1943-S Peace arrives. I hope for some of the results that you received.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options

@smuglr said:

On the Moonlight Mint sales pages, the item description is present, and you get what you order. eg, the product description might say "high grade"...that is what you get. Sometimes, the item description on the sales page will say "bulk handled", or antiqued"...if you order that, that is what you will get.
    That said, there are some finishes that Dan does not sell on the Moonlight Mint sales page. Instead, they might be sold by Dan at a show, or on request only.
    In the case of the 2022-S Morgan, it was not listed on the Moonlight Mint sales page, IIRC. So, perhaps @alefzero procured it from Dan at a show, or by special request. Regardless, with a mintage of 11 (so far), they are nice pieces to hold.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2023 10:26AM

May 4th....page 199

• Options

Yeah I got another 2 or 4 of those 2022-S bulk handled. A larger order should be getting done grading soon. Since I am doing another show pick up, dropping off several orders throughout the show is effectively no different from dropping them all off at the end in a single submission. Didn't think those cobs were going to be to big; perhaps they are too thick for encapsulation.

• Options

@SPalladino Thanks. I'm pretty new to DCarr items, but trying to learn more. So is the desirability of the bulk-handled in the rarity as opposed to what I would have thought was better (high grade)? What might I notice as the difference in appearance?

• Options

I wish I had learned of DCarr's items sooner. I hope one day to get a 1963 Kennedy half (I share birthdate with JFK) and a 1918 Peace dollar (my dad was born in 1918 and had a big interest in WWI history)

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you should be able to get those. I value the best struck non-handled or worn piece higher. One mild exception is I like the Draped bust cent in mild handles as it look more realistic to me at least...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    D808LFD808LF Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your investigation has been closed with a proof of delivery.

This is what I saw this morning on the UPS site regarding my 'lost' package. I call customer service and say that I do not have package and it sounds like the investigation is over because it was signed for. I reiterate that I did not sign for it and I can prove that I was not home during the time of delivery. Rep says that the package was found. What!? "Yes, I will connect you to the investigation department. Okay, great, but....

I get connected and another rep asks for the pertinent information and asks what my "concerns are"(?) "My concerns?" I said, "My concerns are that a 5.8 lb box of 33 coins was delivered and signed for by someone other than me and that the previous rep, the one that transferred me to you, said the package was found. Rep, "Can I put you on hold". Elevator music. Rep comes back on line and says the they will reopen the investigation, no package was found.

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

• Options
    TopcatCoinTopcatCoin Posts: 83 ✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2023 1:32PM

@dcarr said:
    My goal is to make every over-strike a perfect MS69 or MS70.
    But due to planchet flaws and other issues with the host coins, some do not come out perfect. If they have a significant flaw they are scrapped (melted). If the flaw is fairly minor, but precludes a MS69 grade, the piece is converted to a "bulk-handled" or "bag-handled" finish. Think of it as a "factory second". The processing involves putting the pieces in with other coins (ordinary cents or nickels) and shaking them around in a canvas bag or tumbler.

I sometimes offer the bulk/bag-handled pieces in my store as a separate product. The 2022 Morgan and Peace that I had were taken to the Denver Coin Expo and all of them sold there, so I had none of the bulk/bag-handled to offer in my store.

The quality of your work is exceptional, especially the high grade overstrikes, and I am sure others will agree. I stopped sending your coins to be graded by ANACS a few years ago due to their inconsistency. I have a fantasy overstrike coin of yours graded MS68 by ANACS that is absolutely flawless under magnification. I'll bet if I crack it out and send it back it will get either an MS69 or MS70. Trying to distinguish an MS69 from an MS70 Peace or Morgan overstrike is almost impossible. I understand peoples' desire to get your work encapsulated by ANACS, but to me their grade is almost meaningless.

• Options

@D808LF said:

This is what I saw this morning on the UPS site regarding my 'lost' package. I call customer service and say that I do not have package and it sounds like the investigation is over because it was signed for. I reiterate that I did not sign for it and I can prove that I was not home during the time of delivery. Rep says that the package was found. What!? "Yes, I will connect you to the investigation department. Okay, great, but....

I get connected and another rep asks for the pertinent information and asks what my "concerns are"(?) "My concerns?" I said, "My concerns are that a 5.8 lb box of 33 coins was delivered and signed for by someone other than me and that the previous rep, the one that transferred me to you, said the package was found. Rep, "Can I put you on hold". Elevator music. Rep comes back on line and says the they will reopen the investigation, no package was found.

Agony. I'm sorry that you are being put through the ringer.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options

@smuglr said:
    @SPalladino Thanks. I'm pretty new to DCarr items, but trying to learn more. So is the desirability of the bulk-handled in the rarity as opposed to what I would have thought was better (high grade)? What might I notice as the difference in appearance?

I personally prefer Dan's perfect high grade finishes.
    That said, I own some bulk handled pieces, and some antiqued finished pieces, and can say that they are beautiful as well. The lower mintage, bulk handled pieces are a very enticing rabbit hole.
    I wish I had all of Dan's pieces...but I do like living with a roof over my head. :D

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2023 4:08PM

@TopcatCoin said:
    I understand peoples' desire to get your work encapsulated by ANACS, but to me their grade is almost meaningless.

I agree that the grade assigned by ANACS means less to me than a) the protection provided by the ANACS holder versus a flip, and b) the greater ease of my descendants to send them all off to GreatCollections for auction when the time comes. IOW, I prefer that my Moonlight Mint items end up in an ANACS holder (except for those too large to fit into an ANACS holder, which I self-slab)...not necessarily for the "70" grade.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options

Thanks @dcarr for filling in the blanks for me. I hesitate to ask when everyone but me probably knows, but I want to learn.

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭

ANACS HAS A FAILED/FRAUDULENT UPS DELIVERY PROBLEM !!!

I have asked it before what is the point of putting/risking your TREASURES in ANACS slabs ?

Hope it turns out well for you but there's no compensation for the stress....

I am stressed and its not my loss.

@D808LF said:

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats @D808LF Glad it worked out. I ended up getting 7 of my 9 back. Glad you were able to get all of them.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

@D808LF said:
    FOUND, all 33 ANACS encapsulated coins!

After this morning's whipsaw of emotions, I didn't think this evening would come with my coins in hand.

Coins were sent to a previous address that I had not lived at in years. I learned of this five hours after the day's earlier event. I drove to the old house, just a mile away to see if anyone was home. Lucky enough, the lady of the house was painting the front door. I asked if she got a package for me. She said yes and was surprised to see me because she thought I had moved back to the Mainland. She said they were off island and had not had time to return the package to UPS.

Who signed for the delivery? How long were the coins on the lanai? I didn't care anymore, took the coins and drove home. But I will be having a phone-con with ANACS in the morning.

Whew, that is a relief.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crazy series of twists but glad you found the package. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options
    edited July 13, 2023 11:02AM

@D808LF said:

But I will be having a phone-con with ANACS in the morning.
    Great outcome.

• Options

@pcgscacgold said:
    Congrats @D808LF Glad it worked out. I ended up getting 7 of my 9 back. Glad you were able to get all of them.

Which two are still missing ?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,041 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2023 4:39AM

@smuglr said:
    Thanks @dcarr for filling in the blanks for me. I hesitate to ask when everyone but me probably knows, but I want to learn.

I like it when the new guy asks the questions so I can benefit from the answers. The exact process and reason for the bulk-handled was news to me. :)

• Options

@dcarr
    The 1884-CC canceled die and the Antiqued Zoins Morgan. I never expected to see them again and owe everything to you for finding them.

• Options
    TopcatCoinTopcatCoin Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

@D808LF said:
    FOUND, all 33 ANACS encapsulated coins!

After this morning's whipsaw of emotions, I didn't think this evening would come with my coins in hand.

Coins were sent to a previous address that I had not lived at in years. I learned of this five hours after the day's earlier event. I drove to the old house, just a mile away to see if anyone was home. Lucky enough, the lady of the house was painting the front door. I asked if she got a package for me. She said yes and was surprised to see me because she thought I had moved back to the Mainland. She said they were off island and had not had time to return the package to UPS.

Who signed for the delivery? How long were the coins on the lanai? I didn't care anymore, took the coins and drove home. But I will be having a phone-con with ANACS in the morning.

Awesome news! So happy you found them. Your return address must not have been updated in some database is my guess.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

@D808LF I’m so happy for you. Christmas in July. I know the relief you must be feeling. I had a 20 coin package go missing for several weeks that were on the way home from CAC. They just suddenly appeared in tracking after complete silence for an extended time……..it felt like months.

• Options
    edited July 13, 2023 10:58AM

@pcgscacgold said:
    @dcarr
    The 1884-CC canceled die and the Antiqued Zoins Morgan. I never expected to see them again and owe everything to you for finding them.

I don't think I have seen either of the remaining two out there, but I want to have it in the back of my mind what exactly is still missing in case I see one.

Was the antiqued piece one of the 16 with "1878-1921" Morgan Dollar Centennial obverse and cancelled S-mint vintage reverse (coin-flip orientation, struck on a vintage Morgan Dollar) ? Like this: moonlightmint.com/blog_45_files/image002.jpg ?

And was the other one a "normal" cancelled 1884 vintage obverse die and a cancelled CC vintage reverse die (coin-flip orientation, struck on a vintage Morgan Dollar) ? If so, was it one of 199 with normal reeded edge or one of 37 with "DIE PAIR 37" imprinted over the edge reeding ? Like this: moonlightmint.com/blog_45_files/image015.jpg and moonlightmint.com/blog_45_files/image016.jpg ?

• Options

ANACS called me early this morning - a productive call. Even though I had a box of coins sent to my current address last year, somehow my box of 33 was sent to my previous address. I was assured that my previous address was wiped clean. On the UPS side, the proof of delivery only shows my city and state; my move was just one mile away and my city, state (and zip code) didn't change. I didn't know that was the point of confusion until yesterday when a local island UPS rep asked me for my street address again and noticed a different street name. ANACS also discovered via their investigation that the driver 'cut corners', it was signed for and left on the lanai for days(?) until the home owners returned back on-island.

• Options

@dcarr

Yes for the "Was the antiqued piece one of the 16 with "1878-1921" Morgan Dollar Centennial obverse and cancelled S-mint vintage reverse (coin-flip orientation, struck on a vintage Morgan Dollar) ? Like this: moonlightmint.com/blog_45_files/image002.jpg ?"

And yes for the "And was the other one a "normal" cancelled 1884 vintage obverse die and a cancelled CC vintage reverse die (coin-flip orientation, struck on a vintage Morgan Dollar) ? If so, was it one of 199 with normal reeded edge "

Much harder to spot the CC since there are 199. The Antiqued might show up sometime. A lot less of those.

Thanks for all your help already.

• Options
    SatchmoSatchmo Posts: 10 ✭✭

Wow super cool!!!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone received their 43-S Peace Dollars? My order has not shown up on my order history...yet

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    Has anyone received their 43-S Peace Dollars? My order has not shown up on my order history...yet

I have not. My rule is when I'm getting ready to ask others is about the time it ships. I'm hopeful it arrives soon!

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, didn't know so many types. When the last one (I think?) came out I had seven made up and gave 5 as gifts - don't know what their fate was, kept two and lost one....
    Anyway, thanks for the pics.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

Love the Lesher Dollars‼️👍‼️‼️

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    Got this 2014 (Type 2) last week.

I was one of the underbidders on that one. I'm happier now, knowing that someone here made a home for it.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options

@SPalladino said:
    Dear US Mint,
    If you are going to continue to produce modern Morgan and Peace unc coins, please change their finish to something as beautiful as what @dcarr produces. That's all.

Preach it brother. And sadly, I think DC is done with the date run Peace Dollar Broken Arrow series; no 1922, 1923,... The 2022 Peace BA was a nice work around; I don't think DC can make any 2023 Peace dollars now unless he goes Roman, e.g., MCMXXIII. ;)

However, a 1923-D Morgan is doable.

• Options
    edited July 19, 2023 2:23PM

Agreed, the mint can’t compare to Dan’s quality‼️‼️
    Got my Peace Dollars today…….. no milk spots…….. just black spots ‼️‼️😱👎👎👎👎
    Dan’s tha man‼️‼️👍👀🎯‼️‼️👍👍

• Options

@D808LF said:
    Preach it brother. And sadly, I think DC is done with the date run Peace Dollar Broken Arrow series; no 1922, 1923,... The 2022 Peace BA was a nice work around; I don't think DC can make any 2023 Peace dollars now unless he goes Roman, e.g., MCMXXIII. ;)

However, a 1923-D Morgan is doable.

Yes, all that is very unlikely. Daniel's June 22 reply in this thread:

I think "1943" is a bit odd for a Peace Dollar. And I don't want to overdo it with too many different issues. So the "S" will be the only "1943".

I might do the other intervening missing years ("1929", "1930", "1932" "1933"). I f I do any of those, I would probably do only one mint mark for each.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options

I suspect at least part of the inferiority of the Mint dollars is due to using pure silver planchets. The 90% overstrikes aren't as bright and the field to devices contrast is warmer.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still no update on my order history on the 43-S Peace Dollar.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file