Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good on ya! I looked when I saw this posted and couldn't find it....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun

Did you have one struck on a large cent?

And @alefzero , I don’t completely disagree with you, the first two prices I quoted were for uncirculated examples, to me it’s a slippery slope when saying the 10 circulated examples are big money when there are a very large number of high grade examples that could potentially turn circulated in pocket. I feel similar for low Mintage Antiqued pieces that have a correspondingly large number of high grade examples minted.

I carried a number of Dan’s pieces cause I thought they were cool and I liked seeing the wear pattern emerge. Alas one escaped my pocket which was totally uncool. I’m trying to be more careful these days (lost a nice Landis as well I could kick myself on those two) and have no plans to circulate this 1792.

Now give me a silver and gold version, and a three coin capital holder with the correct diameter, and I would crack this silver center copper out in a heartbeat , as I think it would display very nicely together.

Hope y’all have a nice weekend and happy collecting.

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LukeMarshall said:
    @coinsarefun

Did you have one struck on a large cent?.

Yes. You can just make out the under type.
    It’s probably one of my favorite coins of all,I own yet, not real :-)

• Options
    edited September 24, 2023 4:16PM

@coinsarefun said:
    I am so very happy I got mine second hand and will never sell it.

Ahhh, that IS the overstruck large cent you imaged above!

I can make out the stars and denticles now that you mention.

Cool Coin 😎

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2023 4:20PM

.> @alefzero said:

There is a HUGE difference between the BU and Circ releases...

Sometimes the difference in grades is definitely huge.

Not sure why, but sometimes I actually prefer the look of a circulated version.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    NickpattonNickpatton Posts: 337 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25, 2023 7:31AM

I agree that an uncirculated can be turned into to a circulated piece simply by carrying around in your pocket, but totally disagree that the circulated pieces ( especially low mintage), that Dan did aren’t rare because a large amount of uncirculated pieces were minted ‼️
    There is a specific reason in “Dan’s plans” that very low mintages were in circulated or antiqued or any other thing Dan does to the piece , and that is to make the piece extremely rare‼️👍🎯
    That’s why the coin flip certificates are so important to keep with the piece. Sure, the certificates could be counterfeited, but Dan that’s why Dan signs all his rare certificates.
    If you nullify a very rare piece, just because a large amount of uncirculated were minted, you missed the “ Dan Plan‼️

• Options

My intention was not to nullify the rarity of a specific piece, the mintage numbers are what they are and in fact I think the Reference Guide that Dan has built is top notch... I wish others were that thorough in record keeping.

Perhaps I should have said "Before shelling out 'big money' for a piece, try and make sure it is an original piece and not one that has been altered on the secondary market to appear as something its not.

You make great points to the accompanying signed certificate / insert, and I would also add many of these pieces are still owned by their original purchasers which add to the authenticity and provenance of the piece.

• Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

The Moonlight Mint website looks like maybe Dan is gearing up for a new release?

• Options
    jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭

@Orlena said:
    The Moonlight Mint website looks like maybe Dan is gearing up for a new release?

I just noticed that....exciting! Maybe @dcarr will give us a preview of what's coming or when it's coming 🤔

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah yes, some housekeeping has been done since this morning.

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LukeMarshall said:
    @coinsarefun

Did you have one struck on a large cent?

And @alefzero , I don’t completely disagree with you, the first two prices I quoted were for uncirculated examples, to me it’s a slippery slope when saying the 10 circulated examples are big money when there are a very large number of high grade examples that could potentially turn circulated in pocket. I feel similar for low Mintage Antiqued pieces that have a correspondingly large number of high grade examples minted.

I carried a number of Dan’s pieces cause I thought they were cool and I liked seeing the wear pattern emerge. Alas one escaped my pocket which was totally uncool. I’m trying to be more careful these days (lost a nice Landis as well I could kick myself on those two) and have no plans to circulate this 1792.

Now give me a silver and gold version, and a three coin capital holder with the correct diameter, and I would crack this silver center copper out in a heartbeat , as I think it would display very nicely together.

Hope y’all have a nice weekend and happy collecting.

Generally true, but it is a good idea to keep the Carr flip with the coin.

As I have said before, in hindsight, ANACS should have simply labeled their Carr certifications according to his flip tags to avoid future issues. They never needed formal grades.

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not received a Carr goodie in 2 or 3 months now.
    What's new Pussy CAT ?
    Whoa whoa whoa whoa woaaaa...

@Twobitcollector said:
    In todays mail

• Options

@jshaulis said:

@Orlena said:

I just noticed that....exciting! Maybe @dcarr will give us a preview of what's coming or when it's coming 🤔

A certain series is celebrating its 150th birthday in 2023. The US Mint dropped the ball on that. Maybe, just maybe?

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2023 1:20PM

@alefzero said:

@jshaulis said:

@Orlena said:

A certain series is celebrating its 150th birthday in 2023. The US Mint dropped the ball on that. Maybe, just maybe?

I've wanted a Carr o/s Trade dollar for a long time. I'd prefer a fantasy date like 1872, but that wouldn't really commemorate the 150th anniversary.

Also on my fantasy wish list: A Barber silver dollar.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chop Marks $20 extra...... B)

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    Chop Marks $20 extra...... B)

The post-minting chopmarks could be interesting and create a submarket, based on their distribution potentially.

• Options

Not sure what I have here…….couldn’t find it in “Dan’s minted items “, but it looked kool, and it’s the only MS65 in ANACS population ‼️
    Maybe someone knows what I have‼️

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nickpatton said:
    Not sure what I have here…….couldn’t find it in “Dan’s minted items “, but it looked kool, and it’s the only MS65 in ANACS population ‼️
    Maybe someone knows what I have‼️

I did not make that item, although they did use part of my design (without permission).
    Back in 2012 those were sort of a plague on the market. I was able to get most sales of them shut down on eBay.

ANACS should not have certified that as a Moonlight Mint Daniel Carr item. I will talk to them about it at the Denver Coin Expo next week.

I document them on my alert page here:
    moonlightmint.com/fakes.htm

• Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭

Well a fake Dan Carr token certified by ANACs as real in a holder with a genuine Dan Carr signature is certainly one of a kind.

• Options

No wonder I couldn’t find it ‼️
    Thanks Dan👍

• Options
    TheReverendTheReverend Posts: 21 ✭✭✭

Back in 2010 I bought a bunch of the fake 2010 Ameros with the 2007 reverse not knowing Mr. Carr was not involved in their making. So unfortunately, I now have a bunch of these I can't do anything with.

• Options

Bummer ‼️😱

• Options

@GoldenEgg said:
    New stuff listed, folks!

I think I got 2 of each of the Columbian halves. Doesn't show up in my order history though.

• Options

👍 thanks for the heads up!

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2023 6:56PM

@GoldenEgg said:
    New stuff listed, folks!

Thank you!
    I checked the site this morning and there was just a lonesome klepto currency listing with 'less than five left'.
    Now, this evening, lots of new items!
    The 1891 Columbian Exposition offering prompted me to get 1892 and 1893 US Mint Columbian Exposition coins....the rabbit hole.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only see two Colombian Half Dollars...am I missing something else?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@oih82w8 said:

2023 Lesher/Prospector/Denver-Mint in both silver and copper. 6 varieties of each type.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jshaulis said:

@oih82w8 said:

2023 Lesher/Prospector/Denver-Mint in both silver and copper. 6 varieties of each type.

Thank you! I was looking through the Shop by Category tabs, not the home page.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2023 2:39AM

Thanks for the heads up GoldenEgg.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ordered these

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the "4R" 1891 Columbian...The Lesher more a matter of personal choice.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

DCAM ? Maybe an early die state product? I didn't think that the new products would have a proof-like finish. That said, my 2022-CC (which came early after availability) was graded MS70 Cameo. Regardless, that is one very nice looking medal!

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2023 7:04PM

Love me some Carr Art !!! Fun finds have been quite elusive lately. What is up with that ?
    I hope you all adding to your Carr archive !

What's New Pussy Cat ??? whoa whoa whoa wo wo~a ????
    Pussy Cat,Pussy Cat I love you, yes I do...

What is new for you ????

For me, Carr Art Reigns Supreme

I Enoy what I have yet I to receive and I desire more more more...

Happy Shopping

• Options

@SPalladino said:

DCAM ? Maybe an early die state product? I didn't think that the new products would have a proof-like finish. That said, my 2022-CC (which came early after availability) was graded MS70 Cameo. Regardless, that is one very nice looking medal!

My bad.
    I realize now that I was thinking of the new Lesher silver offerings with six die pairs, but the depicted was actually a different limited production piece available at the recent Denver coin show. The latter was the subject of a "Coin GeeK" YouTude video on 10/23: https://youtu.be/kIqtFOSDVjM
    Play on.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish Dan would do a subscription so I don't miss out, which I do often. I so love my Over like1848 CAL $20. I got a problem, cleaned AU coin and had it overstruck. It was $350 plus the coin so I am into it like $2600 but I am good.

• Options

Events happen sometimes while I am tuned into other distractions, and I miss out. Carr is Art. Sometimes I connect, other times I reward those who paid more attention. Not everything rings my bell. Until I give it extra thought, then I am shopping on the aftermarket

• Options

I’ve wanted to buy some of his new stuff too………but had some repairs on the house,(water leak in slab foundation and some other repairs), put me out this round‼️👀😱😱😱
    Haven’t sold anything lately either, or it would go straight back into purchasing Dan’s new pieces‼️

• Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

No love for the 1891 Columbia overstrikes? I collect the classic commemorative coins so I couldn’t pass this up.

• Options

Just got a shipping notification on the newest items in his shop.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file