Home Sports Talk
Options

2016 College Football

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

FYI last year at this time (after week 7) here was the Top 4.

Ohio State, Baylor, Utah and TCU were ranked Nos. 1-4 in the AP Poll after Week 7. None of those teams cracked the playoff. Clemson, Michigan State, Alabama and Oklahoma did make it in 2015. Those teams were ranked No. 5, No. 7, No. 10 and No. 19 at this point.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    I guess the same could be said about Wisconsin being ranked #10

Their wins are against LSU, Georgia State, Akron and MSU. Only LSU is now a quality win.

They have "good" losses just like Mississippi.

mark

@Justacommeman said:

Their wins are against LSU, Georgia State, Akron and MSU. Only LSU is now a quality win.

mark

@Justacommeman said:

mark

@Justacommeman said:

mark

@Justacommeman said:

mark

@Justacommeman said:

mark

No comparison at all. Wisconsin has a win over a top 25 team and lost two close games to undefeated teams. They have to make sure Mississippi stays in the poll to make it look like alabama has enough quality wins.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

The same computer poll you were quoting last year to state OSU's case disagrees with you.

They have Mississippi #10 and Wisconsin #12.

Alabama doesn't need to make a case for the schedule they play. Arkansas, Tennessee and Texas A&M just in the past three weeks. Plus they beat Mississipi at Ole Miss and they crushed USC who BTW that same computer poll you fancied last year has the Trojans at #19 I believe.

Anyways that same computer poll has Alabama, OSU and Michigan in that order.

You are the only one on the planet that I know of who has OSU over Alabama. Hardly shocked. Just shows that we have to discount everything you write.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Ole Miss lost by five to the #1 team in the country. They lost by 1 at Florida State who is #12 and by four at #17 Arkansas.

Wisconsin lost two games to #2 OSU and #4 Michigan.

Wisconsin is ranked 13 spots above Ole Miss. Seems reasonable to me but it really doesn't matter much.

mark

• Options

Everybody in 2014 had Bama ahead of ohio state too, and how did that work out? Lol

• Options

No 3-3 team should be ranked especially if they don't have any good wins.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:
    Everybody in 2014 had Bama ahead of ohio state too, and how did that work out? Lol

Everybody in 2015 had OSU ranked # 1 preseason, and how did that work out? :'(

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

Yes and they were still the best team at the end of the season. They would've destroyed Alabama if the committee wouldn't had made the mistake and chosen Oklahoma over Ohio State.

• Options
    edited October 16, 2016 11:15PM

@garnettstyle said:

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

Yes and they were still the best team at the end of the season. They would've destroyed Alabama if the committee wouldn't had made the mistake and chosen Oklahoma over Ohio State.

Oh, I see, you're a shoulda, woulda, coulda fan...... :'( ......sorry you lost to a cupcake team, MSU.

• Options
    ZzzzzzZzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzzz

Mark
  • Options

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

@Bullsitter said:

@garnettstyle said:

Oh, I see, you're a shoulda, woulda, coulda fan...... :'( ......sorry you lost to a cupcake team, MSU.

You lost to a even more cupcake team, Mississippi.

• Options
    What you always floss over is that you weren't the last team out of the selection committee looking in. The committee had Ohio State at number 7. There were two teams that would have gone before you. I believe it was Iowa and Stanford.

Anyways you should be VERY glad you didn't have to play Alabama or Clemson.

Anyways, it's very easy just win all your games and I promise you will be number one.

mark
  • Options

Lol if ohio state would've played Stanford or Iowa, ohio state would've been favored.

With all the NFL talent that ohio state had last year plus they have a coach who has the highest winning percentage........I would've liked their chances to repeat.

• Options

The committee did no favors to college football fans by leaving ohio state out. A one loss defending champion should've been in.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

considering "quality" wins and losses --- I suppose in this regard a computer based ranking system would be best because it could easily calculate each week off of where a previous opponent now is ranked or is playing. it seems as though with Human voters that once a game is done the ability to reason a few weeks later that a specific Team really isn't as good as once thought isn't a reality.

this years example off the top of my head is Oklahoma --- when Ohio State beat them earlier in the season it seemed like they were going to have an off year, that the Sooners weren't the Team we were used to seeing. after a few weeks passing they look to be coming around. the end result is that when OSU beat them they might have gotten more credit than they really deserved for the victory,

• Options
    Very well keets.

Garnett thinks the human polls are rigged. Lets look at the two most commonly used computer polls.

sagarin

Alabama
    OSU
    Michigan
    Washington
    Clemson
    Louisville
    Texas A&M
    LSU
    Oklahoma
    Ole Miss
    Auburn

S&P+

Michigan
    Alabama
    OSU
    Clemson
    Louisville
    Washington
    LSU
    Auburn
    Florida
    Ole Miss
    Texas A&M
  • Options

FEAR OF A ‘BAMA PLANET

The following is the transcript of a phone call received Monday morning at the College Football Crisis Hotline:

Operator: May I help you?

Caller: Please, you’ve got to do something.

Operator: Stay calm, sir. Can I get your location?

Caller: Knoxville, Tennessee.

Operator: What’s the problem?

Caller: Somebody has to stop them. But I don’t know who. This is intolerable. It can’t keep happening.

Operator: Stop who, sir?

Caller: Alabama (1). The Tide is going to win it all again, aren’t they?

Operator: That remains to be seen, sir. But we have seen a spike in Alabama anxiety this week. We’ve had calls from Los Angeles, Norman, Austin, Tallahassee, Clemson, South Bend, Columbus, Ann Arbor and every town in the Southeastern Conference. Seems that 49-10 bludgeoning of Tennessee has struck a national nerve.

Caller: That’s because we can see it coming again, and America can’t take it anymore. Can’t take the winning, the houndstooth, the Rammer Jammer, the bragging and tea-bagging fans, the Finebaum freaks, the Kiffin troll game, the insane strength coach, the soulless Saban eyes when he looks at the camera instead of at the reporter during those interviews. We’ve had enough. We’re beaten down and desperate. The way they’re mauling everyone is just demoralizing. They’ve won four titles in seven years – isn’t that enough? Surely nobody has ever won five in eight, have they?

Will Nick Saban win his sixth title this season? The Tide appear unstoppable early this season. (AP)
    Will Nick Saban win his sixth national championship this season? The Tide appear unstoppable early. (AP)
    Operator: Well, Minnesota says it won five from 1934-41 via a variety of sources, but things were weird back then. Six other schools claim to have won titles that the Gophers also claim. The 1935 national championship allegedly was won by Minnesota, Princeton, SMU and TCU. So in modern terms you are correct: What Alabama is trying to do is unprecedented.

Caller: We have to stop it. Call in the National Guard. Do something.

Operator: Would you settle for the ROTC? Texas A&M (2) gets a shot at beating ‘Bama on Saturday.

Caller: Didn’t the Aggies lose to Alabama 59-0 last time they went to Tuscaloosa?

Operator: Well, yes. But this team is much better, especially defensively. Texas A&M is only surrendering 19.2 points per game, on pace to be its lowest in 15 years. And the Aggies have a quarterback who torched Alabama in the 2014 Sugar Bowl when he was at Oklahoma.

Caller: That was three lifetimes ago. And it’s far better to sneak up on ‘Bama than to have already beaten him. The Saban Revenge Machine will be engaged, and they’ll be all over Trevor Knight (3) the same way they destroyed Josh Dobbs (4) last week. You know it’s bad when the No. 6 team in the nation is a 17-point underdog, and that’s what A&M is this week.

Operator: Well, there’s always LSU in Baton Rouge on Nov. 5. And the Iron Bowl three weeks after that. But keep in mind: Alabama could lose a game and still wind up in the College Football Playoff, just like it did the past two seasons. The Tide has lost a game in three of their four championship seasons under Saban.

Caller: You’re spiking my anxiety again, not alleviating it.

Operator: Just trying to be truthful, sir. It is quite a run Alabama is on. People thought the quarterback change might derail this team, but it hasn’t – they’re starting a true freshman and about as explosive as ever. People thought losing the Heisman Trophy winner might trip them up, but it hasn’t. People thought losing the defensive coordinator and four of their top five tacklers might be the breaking point, but it hasn’t. Kirby Smart (5) misses Alabama a lot more than Alabama misses Kirby Smart right now.

Caller: Again, not helping. I had high hopes for Clemson, but the Tigers are in hangover mode just like Florida State in 2014 and Ohio State last year. Oklahoma, Florida State, Stanford, Notre Dame – all useless. Then my Volunteers got pummeled, and that’s when I smashed the panic button.

Operator: In these dark times, try to keep this in mind – there might be an Urban or a Harbaugh waiting at the end of the line. If anybody can beat Saban, maybe it’s them.

Caller: And if not?

Operator: Sing Rammer Jammer with the Bammers and accept it.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

Lol on this thread!

Let's move Ohio State talk to the NFL thread where they belong! Really, other than the Patriots I have to imagine the Buckeyes would be favored in every game if they were in the NFL.... :)

bestteamever

ilovebuckey

lifeisohiostate

• Options
    edited October 18, 2016 1:14PM

That's a good one Mark, funny post !!

I will say this, A&M is going to bring it, we'll get their best game this Saturday. Back on January 1, 1968 Bama and A&M played in the Cotton Bowl. Coach Bryant was at Bama and Coach Stallings was at A&M. (When Bryant was at A&M, Stallings was one of the Junction boys). A&M and Stallings beat Bama in that bowl game and Bryant gave him a hug at the end of the game. One of my favorite pictures.

• Options
    Yah, the next picture in that sequence is Bryant pile driving Stallings into the ground without losing his hat. A true gentlemen.

mark
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Yah, the next picture in that sequence is Bryant pile driving Stallings into the ground without losing his hat. A true gentlemen.

mark

Never heard of that and have never seen a photo of it either. I watched the game and all I saw was respect for Coach Stallings and A&M. Coach Bryant carried Stallings off the field and went to the A&M locker room and congratulated the A&M team. Could be wrong, just never heard about it and I've never seen a photo of it.

• Options
    I was kidding : )

mark
  • Options

Dang, got me. I looked for 2 days about info on this and ask about a thousand Bama fans....@#$%& !!!!!

I owe ya one.... >:)

• Options
    PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭

Somewhat on topic regarding Stallings: I've always thought that 1992 Alabama team was one of the most underappreciated great teams of all time.

• Options
    edited October 21, 2016 3:02AM

@PM770 said:
    Somewhat on topic regarding Stallings: I've always thought that 1992 Alabama team was one of the most underappreciated great teams of all time.

The '92 defense was as good as any defense that Saban has put out, maybe better. Most of that defense played for the NFL.

• Options

the sadness of College Football is that the best Teams don't routinely play each other during the regular, and the Playoff/Bowl format rarely gives the chance for the best Teams to meet each other during that phase of the season. we see it every year, a one-loss Team is excluded from the Prime-Bowl Games but that is how the system works.

the NFL, by nature of its smaller size and scheduling matches Teams up better but still gets cheated. consider the upcoming Steelers vs. Patriots game: it has lost some of its luster since Roethlisberger will be out. I think it went from probable classic to possible dud.

• Options

Yep Keets, that's why I'd like to see a 8 team playoff in college football.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    Yep Keets, that's why I'd like to see a 8 team playoff in college football.

Amen boys....

8 will work

Mark

• Options
    edited October 21, 2016 9:46PM

Never mind. Testing an image and now I can't figure how to deflate the bastage

• Options

Verne Lundquist will be the quest picker on Game Day today. I'll miss old Verne next year, he and Gary are good together.

• Options

Embarrassing sec result. Middle Tennessee defeats Missouri.

• Options

the Buckeyes will fall out of the Top 10 --- if they don't the voters should be ashamed of themselves. they looked disorganized, uninspired and seemed to lack anything from a coaching perspective. there were several times during the game that Urban Meyer looked confused.

let's not even talk about the offensive line. judging on today's play the Buckeyes have the potential to lose at least two more games. I doubt that they worry anyone.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did OSU win today? My internet is down..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@garnettstyle said:
    Embarrassing sec result. Middle Tennessee defeats Missouri.

Oh my, speaking of embarrassing loses......they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

• Options

Urban's first road loss at ohio state. Can't win them all lol. Getting screwed by the refs didn't help.

• Options
    I expect the AP Top Ten to look something like this

AP Top 25.

1. Alabama
    2. Michigan
    3. Clemson
    4. Washington
    5. Louisville
    6. Ohio State
    7. Nebraska
    8. Texas A&M
    9. Baylor
    10. West Virginia or Wisconsin or Auburn
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2016 4:23AM

Mark, that looks about right.

Good games next week, I have Wisconsin beating Nebraska. Utah vs Washington and FSU vs Clemson could be interesting. The pressure is starting to build, who will be the next to crack?

We looked average yesterday against A&M. We lost Eddie Jackson for the year with a broken leg. He was our starting safety and punt returner, he will be missed. We have a bye week before going to LSU, hopefully we can get the next man ready.

93 is a player.........

• Options

Urban's first road loss at ohio state. Can't win them all lol. Getting screwed by the refs didn't help.

there were some missed calls but the game was determined by OSU's horrific offensive line play. they couldn't block anyone all night, couldn't block for the run, couldn't pass block and couldn't block for Special Teams. what was ridiculous is that most of the damage was done with a 4-man rush.

another developing trend --- Teams are starting a linebacker about 5-7 yards deep and when Barrett claps to signal the center that LB starts for whatever gap he's hitting, or around the corner. add to that what looks like a traffic jam with Barrett on the read-option and the end is no gain or a loss.

in the meantime, Meyer and the coaches keep doing the same thing. these last two games look like last year vs. Michigan State when the entire OSU offensive game plan was played within 5-yards of the line. to be honest, the Buckeyes currently don't resemble the same Team that played Oklahoma and looked sharp.

• Options

Keets, teams like OSU, Michigan, Clemson, FSU and Bama have been good for so long that we get the best shot from each team we play, every week. It's hard to get up for Kentucky or Penn State, and then you get their best shot. That's why it's so hard to go undefeated. I expect OSU will bounce back like last year and play a spoiler role against you know who.

• Options

AP TOP 25 POLL AFTER WEEK 8

1. Alabama (60)

2. Michigan (1)

3. Clemson

4. Washington

5. Louisville

6. Ohio State

7. Nebraska

8. Baylor

9. Texas A&M

10. West Virginia

11. Wisconsin

12. Florida State

13. Boise State

14. Florida

15. Auburn

16. Oklahoma

17. Utah

18. Tennessee

19. LSU

20. Western Michigan

21. North Carolina

22. Navy

23. Colorado

24. Penn State

25. Virginia Tech

• Options

@keets said:

there were some missed calls but the game was determined by OSU's horrific offensive line play. they couldn't block anyone all night, couldn't block for the run, couldn't pass block and couldn't block for Special Teams. what was ridiculous is that most of the damage was done with a 4-man rush.

another developing trend --- Teams are starting a linebacker about 5-7 yards deep and when Barrett claps to signal the center that LB starts for whatever gap he's hitting, or around the corner. add to that what looks like a traffic jam with Barrett on the read-option and the end is no gain or a loss.

in the meantime, Meyer and the coaches keep doing the same thing. these last two games look like last year vs. Michigan State when the entire OSU offensive game plan was played within 5-yards of the line. to be honest, the Buckeyes currently don't resemble the same Team that played Oklahoma and looked sharp.

That all sounds like football talk. The reality is any of a number of excuses like blaming the refs and [insert more bs reasons here]. Lol. I think OSU will still be knocking on the playoff door at the end of the season and probably miss the playoffs again which will be unfair for [insert number of reasons here].

• Options

Also, I thought the SEC is always the most over-rated in the polls according to at least one person yet the first 1 loss team and first 2 loss teams are not from the SEC!? Hmmmmmm..... My that standard Louisville and OSU are potentially over-rated compared to SEC Texas A&M. Likewise Wisci and FL State are over-rated compared to Auburn. Now I am confused. How did that theory go a few weeks ago?

AP Top 25
    RK TEAM REC PTS TREND
    1 Alabama(60) 8-0 1524 —
    2 Michigan(1) 7-0 1446 1
    3 Clemson 7-0 1382 1
    4 Washington 7-0 1373 1
    5 Louisville 6-1 1276 2
    6 Ohio State 6-1 1143 4
    7 Nebraska 7-0 1083 1
    8 Baylor 6-0 1063 1
    9 Texas A&M 6-1 1007 3
    10 West Virginia 6-0 997 2
    11 Wisconsin 5-2 980 1
    12 Florida State 5-2 725 1
    13 Boise State 7-0 716 1
    14 Florida 5-1 654 1
    15 Auburn 5-2 641 6
    16 Oklahoma 5-2 626 —
    17 Utah 7-1 584 2
    18 Tennessee 5-2 572 —
    19 LSU 5-2 352 6
    20 Western Michigan 8-0 349 —
    21 North Carolina 6-2 328 1
    22 Navy 5-1 251 2
    23 Colorado 6-2 207 NR
    24 Penn State 5-2 193 NR
    25 Virginia Tech 5-2 110 NR

• Options

Ohio state has enough big games left if they win out, they will be in the playoffs.

I think alabama vs auburn is going to be a great game.

• Options

the number of legitimate undefeated Teams is shrinking.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great game in State College. By far the best game I have ever attended. Awesome atmosphere, and the loudest I have ever heard a sports stadium. Ohio State looked lost and confused most of the game, and I was very surprised at the lack of run success by Barrett. OSUs line had some troubles that probably cost them the game. I thought they would have dropped further down in the rankings than 6 after the loss.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:
    The committee did no favors to college football fans by leaving ohio state out. A one loss defending champion should've been in.

Somehow I doubt you will feel that way if the final spot in the CFP this year is between a one loss Alabama team and a one loss OSU team.

Robb

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to see the Colorado Buffalos cracking the top 25 again after a long absence and finally making some noise in the PAC 12 (I still find it difficult to equate Colorado with the word "Pacific" [though due to the geography of the 4 corners national monument Colorado is only one state away from California and it's beaches]).

• Options
    edited October 28, 2016 4:53AM

Sporting News is reporting that Urban Meyer's radio call-in show, The Fan, featured NO phone calls Thursday evening. Now that's just mean. They just wanted to know if he was having chest pain again.

One ringy-dingy, two ringy-dingy....hello, coach? Click.

• Options

Looks like the big 12 might be left out of the playoffs.

• Options

Ouch, four unbeaten teams went down yesterday. Nebraska, Baylor, W.Va. and Boise State. Top 25 will be interesting today.

What teams do I think the CFP will have 1-4?

1. Alabama
    2. Clemson
    3. Michigan
    4. Washington