2016 College Football

Comments

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman

Originally posted by: DrBuster

Originally posted by: garnettstyle

Georgia lol

That was the most difficult UGA game I've watched in a long time. We looked like total asscake.

Ya, you played like cr@p and you lost to a very very very good team

mark

Best 2 loss team in the country.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Coach's Poll:

1 Alabama(61) 4-0 1597 —
    2 Ohio State(2) 3-0 1506 —
    3 Clemson(1) 4-0 1440 —
    4 Louisville 4-0 1411 —
    5 Michigan 4-0 1333 —
    6 Stanford 3-0 1269 —
    7 Houston 4-0 1250 —
    8 Wisconsin 4-0 1127 2
    9 Washington 4-0 1049 —
    10 Texas A&M 4-0 1016
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: larryallen73
    Coach's Poll:

1 Alabama(61) 4-0 1597 —
    2 Ohio State(2) 3-0 1506 —
    3 Clemson(1) 4-0 1440 —
    4 Louisville 4-0 1411 —
    5 Michigan 4-0 1333 —
    6 Stanford 3-0 1269 —
    7 Houston 4-0 1250 —
    8 Wisconsin 4-0 1127 2
    9 Washington 4-0 1049 —
    10 Texas A&M 4-0 1016

3 teams will lose their first game October 1

#3 vs #4
    #5 vs #8
    #6 vs #9
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And here is the AP

Alabama

OSU

Louisville

Michigan

Clemson

Houston

Stanford

Wisconsin

Texas A&M

Washington

Complete poll

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Georgia lol

That was the most difficult UGA game I've watched in a long time. We looked like total asscake.

mark

Yep, todays poll has Ole Miss at #16. The only team in the Top 25 with 2 loses. I'm glad Kelly is a senior.
  • Options
    The GRS was just released

1 Ohio State

2 Ohio State 2015 Team

3 Western Michigan

4 North Dakota State

5 Michigan

6 Wisconsin

7 Nebraska

8 Oklahoma

9 Pittsburgh Steelers

10 Rutgers

It's complicated

mark
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    The GRS was just released

1 Ohio State
    2 Ohio State 2015 Team
    3 Western Michigan
    4 North Dakota State
    5 Michigan
    6 Wisconsin
    7 Nebraska
    8 Oklahoma
    9 Pittsburgh Steelers
    10 Rutgers

It's complicated

mark

Might be controversy here as I think ND State should be higher in the GRS.
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh you guys are so funny.

My top ten. Even though I despise Baylor, its time to put them in.

Ohio state
    Alabama
    Houston
    Michigan
    Wisconsin
    Louisville
    Stanford
    Clemson
    Texas a&m
    Baylor

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    Georgia lol

mark

But but but they have two GOOD LOSSES, which pretty much equates to one win. So they're actually undefeated by SEC logic.

Arkansas dropping three spots after getting jailsexed is laughable. Also appears that UF didn't get punished NEARLY enough for losing a 20-point lead to Tennessee and getting dumped by double digits. It's almost as if SEC losses don't count.
    So how many spots will Ole Miss climb if they beat Memphis next week? Or how many spots will they drop if they lose? I predict still ranked even after a loss.

• Options

Oh you guys are so funny.

• Options
    Les Miles fired !!!!!
  • Options
    Yup, SEC has a terrible out of conference showing yet half the conference is ranked. And BTW their poor out of conference showing isn't over because I expect them to go 1-3 in November to Louisville, Clemson, FSU, and Ga Tech.

• Options

Georgia lol

mark

But but but they have two GOOD LOSSES, which pretty much equates to one win. So they're actually undefeated by SEC logic.

Arkansas dropping three spots after getting jailsexed is laughable. Also appears that UF didn't get punished NEARLY enough for losing a 20-point lead to Tennessee and getting dumped by double digits. It's almost as if SEC losses don't count.

So how many spots will Ole Miss climb if they beat Memphis next week? Or how many spots will they drop if they lose? I predict still ranked even after a loss.

No logic of ranking to it. They lost 2, they could beat anyone, period.

That's not fan boy alum-talk either.

• Options

Yup, SEC has a terrible out of conference showing yet half the conference is ranked. And BTW their poor out of conference showing isn't over because I expect them to go 1-3 in November to Louisville, Clemson, FSU, and Ga Tech.

Three out of four of those teams are very good as well.

Did you know that the Big Ten has more then twice as many losses to non Power 5 conferences then the SEC. We have all learned that because you say something it doesn't make it true. Your jealousy is blinding. You are always trying to build your case on a pile of non truths and biased opinions. You can't be taken seriously and you aren't. Your cr@p may work on your fan boy circle jerk sites but not here.

Report back how many losses the Big Ten has to non Power five teams and how many the SEC has please. Do some actual homework

mark
  • Options

Did you know that the Big Ten has more then twice as many losses to non Power 5 conferences then the SEC. We have all learned that because you say something it doesn't make it true. Your jealousy is blinding. You are always trying to build your case on a pile of non truths and biased opinions. You can't be taken seriously and you aren't. Your cr@p may work on your fan boy circle jerk sites but not here.

Report back how many losses the Big Ten has to non Power five teams and how many the SEC has please. Do some actual homework

mark

Means nothing. Plenty of parity out there. SEC teams are afraid to schedule a North Dakota state.

What non truths are you talking about? Your posts show nothing but trying to further your agenda to praise the sec and bash the big ten.

Everyone knows the sec gets the most credit for losses more than any other conference. AT LEAST they can try and hide the bias. lol

• Options

mark

Means nothing. Plenty of parity out there. SEC teams are afraid to schedule a North Dakota state.

What non truths are you talking about? Your posts show nothing but trying to further your agenda to praise the sec and bash the big ten.

Everyone knows the sec gets the most credit for losses more than any other conference. AT LEAST they can try and hide the bias. lol

That's what I thought. You got nothing

mark

• Options
    Does anybody posting here think the Big Ten is better (in whatever criteria you want to use) than the SEC currently? 2016.

To me the SEC is down from a few years ago and the Big Ten is up but the SEC is still clearly the better conference top to bottom.

• Options
    Originally posted by: larryallen73

Does anybody posting here think the Big Ten is better (in whatever criteria you want to use) than the SEC currently? 2016.

To me the SEC is down from a few years ago and the Big Ten is up but the SEC is still clearly the better conference top to bottom.

It's all about recruiting. OSU & Michigan get national recruits and most of the great locals. Wisconsin, MSU & Iowa fight for local talent with everyone. The rest of the Big Ten fight for scraps. The SEC and ACC splits the nations talent and most of the hotbed of the South and Southeast.

The PAC Ten gets most of the California honey hole Of talent and most of the Southwest & Northwest.

Texas is a battle ground for the Big 12, SEC and PAC 10.

NJ Michigan has owned and Virginia & Pennsylvania gets divvied up pretty evenly. PSU no longer gets the 4's and 5's from there home state.

You are correct in stating that the Big Ten has closed the gap on the SEC but the is still a gap none the less. I will contend that the ACC is better then the Big Ten and the PAC 10 & the Big Ten are on par.

I'm a life long Big Ten guy but I'm a realist and student of the game with a mean objective streak.

mark

• Options
    I don't see any evidence that the ACC is better than the Big ten. But I guess we all have our opinions. Some guy on blowoutcards swears that the Big 12 in the best conference. Yikes.

• Options
    I don't see any evidence that the ACC is better than the Big ten.

Look back a few games ago. Clemson played for the National Championship while MSU got blown away.

MSU 17
    OSU 14

• Options
    Early lines. All the home teams favored

Michigan -10.5 vs Wisconsin

Clemson -2.0 vs Louisville

Washington -3.0 vs Stanford

mark
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Bullsitter

Look back a few games ago. Clemson played for the National Championship while MSU got blown away.

MSU 17
    OSU 14

OSU 42
    Alabama 35

• Options

mark

I'd take:

Washington
    Louisville (got them winning)

Michigan @ -10.5 is a tough one for me. I like Wisconsin and the points, BUT they just came off the MSU game and have OSU in two weeks. I'll pick this one later in the week.
  • Options

MSU 17
    OSU 14

OSU 42
    Alabama 35

OOOOOHHHHH SHOT DOWN !!!!..............image......image.......image
  • Options

mark

I'd take:

Washington

Michigan @ -10.5 is a tough one for me. I like Wisconsin and the points, BUT they just came off the MSU game and have OSU in two weeks. I'll pick this one later in the week.

Louisville now a two point favorite at Clemson

mark
  • Options
    Whoops triple post.
  • Options
    Train wreck!
  • Options

mark

I'd take:

Washington

Louisville now a two point favorite at Clemson

mark

Wow. That's interesting. If I were a gambler I think I'd take Clemson in that case.
  • Options
    User error. image

• Options
    Some great top ten matchups this weekend. We will see if Louisville, Washington, and Wisconsin are for real.

• Options

Some great top ten matchups this weekend. We will see if Louisville, Washington, and Wisconsin are for real.

It will be interesting but no one will be eliminated from the playoffs as a result of these games. There will be a lot of one and two loss teams this year IMO

mark
  • Options
    As most know by now I'm a Big Ten guy. It's in my DNA. In my family we have graduates from seven of the ten original schools. Even Ohio State. My wife did her under grad at Northwestern. Her Dad did his undergrad at Purdue. his masters at Michigan and his Doctorate at Illinois,

I had to laugh at this article from Jason Gay of the WSJ. My office in NY and LA are exactly the same.

mark

The Michigan Wolverines Are Back. Ugh.

A victory by Wisconsin would thankfully put an end to the insufferable swagger that Mr. Khakipants has restored in Ann Arbor.

There are a lot of reasons I want. No. I need, my Wisconsin Badgers to defeat the Number 4 Michigan Wolverines in football Saturday. The most obvious reason is that I graduated from the University of Wisconsin at Madison, unequivocally regarded as the planet’s finest institution of higher learning and bratwurst (sorry, you Harvard/Stanford losers). A victory in Ann Arbor would make Wisconsin a perfect 5-0, and two weeks later, in Madison, when they crush Ohio State and its tetchy coach, Urban Meyer, the Badgers will have a clear track to a spot in college football’s daffy new playoff system.

But the main reason I need Wisconsin to beat Michigan is simple

I can’t stand Michigan. I’m sorry.

I want to be clear. I mean the college, not the state. I love the state of Michigan. And Michigan State. Sparty, you guys are cool. And nice hat.

I mean the University of Michigan. Harbaughtown. The dreaded Wolverines.

You have to understand my employer, The Wall Street Journal, reeks of Wolverine. Absolutely reeks. I’d say a solid three-quarters of the people I’ve worked with in the Journal sports department went to Michigan. At one point, my editor, my editor’s editor, and my editor’s editor’s editor were all Michigan people. One of the paper’s most senior editors is a Wolverine. I don’t even ask where the interns come from anymore.

And I’m telling you, it makes a lonely Badger feel invisible. The Journal Wolverines have secret handshakes and inside jokes and a monthly midnight meeting in the newsroom, where they talk about how awesome Ann Arbor was, how handsome Tom Brady is, and laugh as they read from a list of people they know who didn’t get into Michigan. On Fridays before big games, they show up to meetings wearing blue and yellow, oh, I’m sorry, maize face paint. They hum the Michigan fight song, “The Victors,” in the elevator. They speak their own language: Schembechler.

I know you think my dislike of Michigan is irrational. Of course it’s irrational. What college sports hatred is ever rational?

OK, Duke. It’s rational to hate Duke.

Michigan people at the Journal became impossible last year when you know who came to town. Mr. Khakipants. You have probably heard Michigan is paying its former quarterback turned superstar coach, Jim Harbaugh, close to $600 million per season. I hear it is actually closer to $850 million, with a two-billion dollar bonus if he shuts out Ohio State. Harbaugh also gets nine private jets, three dozen chauffeured Chrysler 300s, two rocket ships, a Mars rover, a hot air balloon, a pogo stick and a pony of his choice. I even hear that Harbaugh’s khakis now cost as much as $11.

The Wisconsin Badgers will play Michigan in Ann Arbor this Saturday for the first time since 2010.

But these Wolverines at the Journal, they think it’s worth every penny. Harbaughmania you may remember I wandered around Ann Arbor dressed as the guy almost two ago has made Michigan football relevant again. The first part of the decade was easy around here, Michigan football stank up the Big House, barely won a thing, cycled through 27 head coaches, and were out of the national conversation by the first weekend of October. As the Badgers played meaningful games on TV, the Michigan people I knew went rock climbing and antiquing on Saturdays. They were humbled. It was the best.

Mr. Khakipants has changed all this. Harbaugh already has Michigan in the Top 4, and even though it’s September, the Wolverines can’t help but daydream of a revenge victory against Ohio State, a Big Ten championship, a college playoff and a potential national championship. There’s a return of that old Michigan “We’ve Won More Games in College Football History Than Anybody” confidence. That annoying swagger.

Wisconsin folks, we recognize this swagger. When I was at Madison, in the early 15th century, Michigan was a juggernaut at pretty much everything. And while the Badgers theoretically have a regional rivalry with Minnesota, beating big old Michigan is really the thing. We haven’t done it a lot. Wisconsin has gone 14-49-1 versus Michigan in its football history, though they’ve won three of the last five in the past decade.

But you want to know the thing that really makes me nuts? Here’s what Michigan people think about Wisconsin: They don’t think about us at all.

The Wolverines have a zillion rivals; a Badger game is nothing to them compared to an Ohio State game, or playing Notre Dame or Sparty or just sitting around talking about how great the Fab Five were. Even if the Badgers have caught up in recent decades, Wisconsin people still look at Michigan as a Death Star. But Michigan people look at us like we’re someone they met in the grocery store once 10 years ago.

Oh, you. Hi.

Now don’t ask me if I’m jealous because I didn’t have the stuff to get into Michigan. Of course I didn’t have the stuff to get into Michigan. I’m certain that today I couldn’t get into Wisconsin, buddy. I’m still convinced my acceptance was an accident.

But I was lucky to get in, and I’ll be Wisconsin until the end. And my Badger friends are my friends for life, because Badgers are the best. Badgers will help you move on a Sunday. Badgers will watch your dog for a year. Badgers will let you sleep on their sofa, no questions asked. The sofa might be outside on the front porch, and have been there since the Carter administration, but they’ll let you sleep on it.

And a Badger always gets the first round. And the last round. And then one more round after the last round.

Michigan? Look, I know it’s a really good school, and hard to get into, and they’re really smart, but Michigan people think they’re kind of fancy. They almost think they’re as fancy as Northwestern people. I said almost.

So I’m begging the Badgers to get the job done on Saturday, in the Big House, before a 100,000 people and Mr. Khakipants himself. I want Wisconsin to ruin a Wolverine dream season, whomp Ohio State and run all the way to the National College Football Playoff Dance Party Jamboree or whatever they call that thing. But honestly I’ll just take the win over Michigan. I really want to rub it in at work.
  • Options
    "Harbaugh also gets nine private jets, three dozen chauffeured Chrysler 300s, two rocket ships, a Mars rover, a hot air balloon, a pogo stick and a pony of his choice."

image.....Chrysler 300s

Also, Michigan covers the 10.
  • Options
    Ha, that was funny Mark!

I hope my Dawgs pull their heads out of the asses this week and beat the Vols.

And I want to see how Louisville does with that monster QB.
  • Options
    I don't think its a good idea to have big college football games the same night as high school games. Why are they now playing games on Fridays?

• Options
    I don't think its a good idea to have big college football games the same night as high school games. Why are they now playing games on Fridays?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Justacommem-

Well written and I see this as one of the best posts in connection with college football. Great read that is creative with humor that makes it. Good that a US car is involved....

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    In TN for the weekend. Might go to the Vandy/FLA game on Saturday. Lots of Gator fans in town.
  • Options

mark

I'd take:

Washington

Washington wow. They might be as good as anybody

mark

• Options

mark

I'd take:

Washington

mark

Ya, first time I have watched them play this year and they are dominating Stanford.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    two games that should be nice to watch pit #4 vs. #8 --- and --- #3 vs. #5.......................so it's inevitable that there will be some sort of a shake-up in the middle of the Top 10 this weekend. Alabama and OSU should be able to hold onto the top two spots and I bet Florida State and Jimbo Fisher move up into the middle of the pack if they can win convincingly. this could be a weekend we all look back on and say it was "huge" in terms of shaping where the Poll goes. mid-season is just a week or two away and I expect Teams to be in fine form, settling into a groove of who they really are. it might take a major upset going forward to move things prior to the Conference playoffs.

this weekend is what College Football is all about!!
  • Options

mark

I'd take:

Washington

mark

Yep, they looked good and hungry. Their fans were insane, I'm happy for them.

• Options
    Bad loss for Stanford.

Looking like baylor is overrated.

• Options
    the only game I was able to watch today was Oklahoma State and Texas, it was a fun game.

I managed to see about half of the Michigan/Wisconsin game and wasn't impressed by either Team. I think it came down to the simple fact that it was played in Ann Arbor, the other way around and Wisconsin would probably have won. the announcers clearly favored the Wolverines and seemed to have a love-affair with their QB. going to go check Alabama but probably will watch Clemson put the finishing touches on a beat-down of Louisville which will slow the hype due to their defeat of Florida State --- who lost AT HOME to unranked North Carolina!!! the Seminoles are probably done at 3-2/0-2.
  • Options
    Spoken like a true Buckeye Keets : ). I can tell you didnt see much of the game. Wisconsin had seven first downs and 150 total yards. I doubt they would have won anywhere.

mark
  • Options

Bad loss for Stanford.

Looking like baylor is overrated.

Looks like you are correct about the Big 12 this year. Oklahoma, Texas, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma State all look extremely flawed.

mark

• Options
    Good gosh, lots of good games yesterday. I missed the "beat-down" of Clemson, I was watching Bama toy with Kentucky. Also glad I don't bet on the games, going 1-2 ain't gonna cut it.

FWIW after week 5, jmo.

PAC 12 - Washington seems to be playing the best with UCLA and Stanford chasing them for the PAC 12 Championship.

BIG 12 - Might as well throw darts to pick the winner of the Big 12 Conference Championship game, oh wait, they don't play one. Hey, West Virginia has a shot.

ACC - Flush FSU, they're out of here. Clemson has a game lead on Louisville but the Cardinals have half a season to catch up. I'm not counting them out just yet even after that "beat-down" last night.

BIG 10 - OSU is the cream of the crop. Michigan is close behind. Both teams have a few weeks to get better before the Michigan vs OSU game. MSU, stick a fork in 'em, they're done.

SEC - Georgia, ya had 'em.......We'll find out how good Bama is during the next three weeks. Got Arkansas and Tennessee on the road then A&M at home. All three of those teams have had us circled since last year.

My Top 4:

1. OSU
    2. Bama
    3. Clemson
    4. Michigan
  • Options
    after watching the end of the Louisville/Clemson game I thought I would have to eat my words!!! on the surface it looks like Clemson played flat and almost choked in the second half but there was a total of eight turnovers in the game, five of them lost by Clemson which really affected the outcome. for two Teams who looked really good for most of the game there was enough sloppy play and mistakes to keep it close.

the tale of the two Teams are their QB's, both can really take over a game. watching some of the longer throws it seems that with just a little less air under the ball there would have been some really long TD completions.

Spoken like a true Buckeye Keets

Mark, I watched most of the first half which ended 7-0 and didn't show much of anything from either Team. Michigan seemed to play with a little more enthusiasm and I attribute that to the home crowd. if we assume both Teams improve and head into the game in Columbus undefeated I can't see any way that Michigan wins. they have a stout defense which is typical for them, but their offense doesn't seem to have much pop. as I said, the announcers really talked up Speight but that's all hollow hype. the way I see the Michigan offense is that they spread the ball well, both running and passing by getting everyone involved --- I do think the offensive line is suspect both in run blocking and pass blocking. heck, they averaged less than three yards per carry and a couple of long passes inflated Speight's stats.

I am a True Buckeye fan, but I think my comments on the Michigan game are accurate and objective. if the Wolverines are the Big 10 hope to derail the Buckeyes I expect the train to stay on the tracks.
  • Options
    I went to the OSU and Michigan boards this morning and I must say....y'all hate each other.

Did see lots of funny photos posted on both sides. My favorite, of course:

• Options
    This was pretty cool, I think they gained 5 yards on that play.