Home Sports Talk
Options

2016 College Football

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: garnettstyle

The best matchup by far is between the two biggest super powers of all time. Ohio State vs Oklahoma. It doesn't get any better.

Nay. In name only perhaps.

Number #14 doesn't excite me and #3 hasn't played anyone yet so the jury is out there.

FSU vs Louisville is a top ten matchup. Clemson, Louisville & Florida State aren't only all in the ACC, they are all in the same division. This is like last year in the Big Ten East with Mich ST , Ohio St and Mich all battling for the right to play in the Conference Championship Game. Only difference this is happening in week 3.

But whatever floats your boat

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman
    The best matchup by far is between the two biggest super powers of all time. Ohio State vs Oklahoma. It doesn't get any better.

Number #14 doesn't excite me and #3 hasn't played anyone yet so the jury is out there.

FSU vs Louisville is a top ten matchup. Clemson, Louisville & Florida State aren't only all in the ACC, they are all in the same division. This is like last year in the Big Ten East with Mich ST , Ohio St and Mich all battling for the right to play in the Conference Championship Game. Only difference this is happening in week 3.

mark

Wanna bet what game gets the highest ratings? In name only? Lets see Ohio State is something like 52-4 the last 5 yrs, and Oklahoma made the playoffs last year. Who has Louisville beat? Basketball school and probably overrated.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

mark

Wanna bet what game gets the highest ratings? In name only? Lets see Ohio State is something like 52-4 the last 5 yrs, and Oklahoma made the playoffs last year. Who has Louisville beat? Basketball school and probably overrated.

No I don't want to bet you. I don't trust you and besides the ratings are not the point.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, 52-4 in the last 5 years and only one National Championship.

.image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Bullsitter
    Wow, 52-4 in the last 5 years and only one National Championship.

.image

So you think 1 championship in 4 yrs is not good? Man you're tough.

It could be 2 in 5 if the committee puts them in the playoffs this year.

• Options
    One championship is good, but 4 in 7 years is great. Do that, then talk about it and I'll listen.

2009— The 2009 team, coached by Nick Saban, finished with a 12–0 regular season. The team then faced Florida in the SEC Championship Game, the team defeated the Gators 32–13 in a rematch of the previous year's championship. Alabama then traveled to Pasadena to face Texas in the 2010 BCS National Championship Game at the Rose Bowl. After Texas quarterback Colt McCoy left the game due to injury, Alabama's Heisman winning running back Mark Ingram Jr rushed for 116 yards and two touchdowns in a 37–21 win. Ingram was named the game's offensive MVP in Alabama's first ever BCS victory.

2011— The 2011 team, also coached by Nick Saban, finished with an 11-1 regular season and was left out of the SEC Champsionship Game after losing to LSU at Bryant-Denny Stadium. When all of the other undefeated teams eventually posted losses, the polls sent the Tide to a rematch in the 2012 BCS National Championship Game at the Superdome in New Orleans, Louisiana. Alabama's defense held the Tigers to 92 combined yards on offense on the way to a 21-0 shutout. Jeremy Shelley kicked a bowl-record 5 of 7 field goals and Trent Richardson closed the scoring with a 34-yard touchdown run in the 4th quarter.

2012— The 2012 team, coached by Nick Saban, finished with an 11-1 regular season and defeated the Georgia Bulldogs in the SEC Champsionship Game. Another round of upsets gave the Tide a match-up against the storied Notre Dame Fighting Irish in the 2013 BCS National Championship Game at Sun Life Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida. Alabama burst out of the gate, scoring its fourth unanswered touchdown at the start of the 2nd quarter and rolled to a 42-14 win. Quarterback A. J. McCarron threw four touchdown passes; two to freshman Amari Cooper; and running back Eddie Lacy rumbled for 140 yards and a score.

2015— The 13-1 2015 Alabama Crimson Tide football team shut out Michigan State Spartans 38-0 in the College Football Playoff semi-final in Arlington, Texas, then defeated the Clemson Tigers 45-40 in the championship game in Glendale, Arizona. Big plays by Derrick Henry, Kenyan Drake and O. J. Howard kept Alabama a step ahead of Clemson for most of the game.
  • Options
    Winners today:

FSU
    Notre Dame
    Stanford
    OSU
    Alabama

Losers on the outside looking in at the end of week 3 except for ND. If they lose they're out.
  • Options
    Louisville played somebody today and beat the crap out of them......good gosh.
  • Options
    Couple of Big Ten games going down to the wire

Georgia State at Wisconsin and North Dakota State at Iowa. Final minutes and we have a 3 and 1 point game. Both have been fun to watch

mark

• Options

Ya it's 56-10. Is this a basketball game?

mark
  • Options
    North Dakota State 23

Iowa 21

Final

This was without Carson Wentz

Congrats Fargo

mark
  • Options

Ya it's 63-10. Is this a basketball game? FSU better start jacking up some threes

mark

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Louisville! WOW!
  • Options
    Too bad about ND State beating Iowa. I like Iowa but really shows how weak the Big Ten is, eh!? Or maybe how good the MVC is!?
  • Options
    Florida State tried to make it respectable by scoring 10 in the 4th. Ouch. #BEATdown. Scary.

Houston v. Louisville tickets are going to be big!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: larryallen73

Too bad about ND State beating Iowa. I like Iowa but really shows how weak the Big Ten is, eh!? Or maybe how good the MVC is!?

Colorado 14 Michigan 0 four minutes in

mark
  • Options

Colorado 14 Michigan 0 four minutes in

mark

21-7 after 1.
  • Options
    Big come from behind win for Wisky today. Lol.
  • Options
    Lots of good games going right now.
  • Options
    Why did FSU kick a field goal with 51 seconds to go? To make the score a little closer!? Geez.
  • Options
    With Western Michigans thumping of Illinois today and their win at Northwestern they move to 2-0 in the Big Ten West. They will

be hard to catch.

mark
  • Options

Why did FSU kick a field goal with 51 seconds to go? To make the score a little closer!? Geez.

According to Garnettstyle Louisville is only a basketball school. Maybe it was a 3 pointer from behind the arc.

mark
  • Options
    Lucky for the Big 10 that Michigan came back from their early deficit. Saved the day from getting really bad. I am bummed about Iowa but that's why you play the games. Too bad Oregon couldn't hold off Nebraska. Oregon is not great so not a huge surprise though. Lots of parity out there.
  • Options
    Good win by Nebraska. They always beat up on PAC 12 teams.

• Options

According to Garnettstyle Louisville is only a basketball school. Maybe it was a 3 pointer from behind the arc.

mark

FSU was over ranked. They got drilled by Houston.

• Options

mark

Now that's funny......image

• Options

mark

FSU was over ranked. They got drilled by Houston.

You are always a year behind. Get on the same page as the rest of us please.

mark
  • Options
    WHEW !!!!!

Hats off to Ole Miss, they always play well against us. They have to be the best 1-2 team in the country. Also mighty proud of our team for fighting back after they were down 24-3 on the road. I listened to Coach Saban on the Alabama Network and he was very proud, you could tell in in his voice.

• Options
    Somewhere in garnettstyle' basement he has a chalkboard with a list of contingency excuses already to go. Must be two sided to boot. It takes a lot of work and I admire him being prepared.

mark
  • Options

WHEW !!!!!

Hats off to Ole Miss, they always play well against us. They have to be the best 1-2 team in the country. Also mighty proud of our team for fighting back after they were down 24-3 on the road. I listened to Coach Saban on the Alabama Network and he was very proud, you could tell in in his voice.

Great win.

mark
  • Options
    What a SICK catch by OSU's Noah Brown at the end of the half. OSU looks great.

Mich St killing ND

All is well with the Big Ten East Elite.

Time for bed

mark
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucky for the Big 10 that Michigan came back from their early deficit

the way the Buck's are playing, the Big 10 is safe, it would take a total implosion for them to lose now.

Mark, that catch was indeed amazing, I don't think I've ever seen one like it. his other catch on the fade was really, really nice. BTW, did you see the replay of the kick return?? how did the zebras miss that, especially since one guy was right there?? apparently College doesn't replay every TD or they'd have seen it. would that have been OSU getting a touch-back on a kick off??? I KNOW I've never seen that before!!
  • Options
    When the play was live I screamed he never crossed the goal line! I was shocked it went unnoticed. It was pretty blatant. If the ball would have rolled out of bounds in the end zone it would have indeed been a touch back. However, I don't think it did. I don't know if either team picked it up after. If not and the ball just lay there I'm pretty sure the ball would have been Oklahoma's at the spot of the fumble. No clear recovery.

Good night and bring home a win

mark
  • Options
    So who should be number 1? Ohio State? Alabama? Louisville?, Michigan state? Or Houston?

• Options
    well, that was quite a game and not what I expected. the Buckeyes seemed better coached, better conditioned and as a Team, faster. I'm sure that as the season wears on we'll have a different opinion of both Teams and why the game played out the way it did. I know many members don't like Ohio State and probably more don't like Urban Meyer, but after finally getting the regular season game that they say OSU needed to play I wonder what they think right now.

Florida State at #2 got smoked, Alabama at #1 held on to win and Ohio State at #3 pretty much dominated their game --- all three were road games against Top 20 opponents. Alabama has been getting all the Votes and it is a foregone conclusion that The Tide and The Buckeyes should hold the top two spots. the question should be should Alabama be #1 or #2?? should Ohio State receive any Votes?? what about Clemson and Michigan, both Teams won but they played Teams that weren't in the Top 25.

these may seem like pointless questions but it is the type of reasoning that members use to frame their opinions about why some Teams should be ranked high and others low. all the Polls are almost as crazy and mind boggling as coin grading!!
  • Options
    Can't sleep so I type instead

I think the polls will look like this

1) Alabama on the strength of two good wins

2) Ohio State

3) Louisville

4) Michigan

5) Clemson or Houston

Would do I think the top 5 are

1) Alabama

2) Louisville

3) Ohio State

4) Houston

5) Clemson or Michigan
  • Options
    Ohio state should be number one. Oklahoma rarely loses at home and got slaughtered by 3 touchdowns. Bama gave up 43 points not good. I predict Louisville will lose to Houston.

• Options
    OSU played very well last night, their first real test of this young season. They will have earned their spot at #2 next week and should get some first place votes. The thing about who will be # 1 now doesn't really matter, just have to be in the top 4 at seasons end to make the playoff. Then you separate the men from the boys. I expect OSU will be there.

Next weeks predictions

1. Alabama
    2. OSU
    3. Louisville
    4. Clemson

Roll Tide Roll

• Options
    The thing about who will be # 1 now doesn't really matter

that's a good point, and I think at seasons end some of what figures into the order is who the committee wants playing in the two games. politics, always politics.
  • Options
    As stated above being 1 or 2 has no bearing this early in the season. A bigger deal is being 4 not 5 because I think if you are borderline you want the committee to get used to seeing you in the #4. That would be Houston or Louisville most notably.

I only saw a few minutes of Ohio State but they seemed to dominate their game more so than Alabama did. However, taking the season as a whole I think Alabama is still ahead of OSU. Plus we don't yet know what Oklahoma is this year. Maybe they just aren't a top 25 team!? Michigan should not be in the top 4 after having trouble with a marginal Colorado team.

I would like to see Louisville and Houston remain undefeated. Would be an epic showdown in a few weeks.
  • Options

As stated above being 1 or 2 has no bearing this early in the season. A bigger deal is being 4 not 5 because I think if you are borderline you want the committee to get used to seeing you in the #4. That would be Houston or Louisville most notably.

I only saw a few minutes of Ohio State but they seemed to dominate their game more so than Alabama did. However, taking the season as a whole I think Alabama is still ahead of OSU. Plus we don't yet know what Oklahoma is this year. Maybe they just aren't a top 25 team!? Michigan should not be in the top 4 after having trouble with a marginal Colorado team.

I would like to see Louisville and Houston remain undefeated. Would be an epic showdown in a few weeks.

I could see Michigan dropping to 5 but FWIW they were favored by 17 vs Colorado and that's exactly what they beat them by. I bet on Colorado when it opened Colorado +19.5. I was praying Michigan missed that 39 yard with 6 minutes left and they were answered.

mark
  • Options
    Coaches Poll just released.

1 Alabama(59)
    2 Ohio State(3)
    3 Clemson(1)
    4 Louisville
    5 Michigan
    6 Stanford
    7 Houston
    8 Michigan State
    9 Washington
    10 Wisconsin
    11 Georgia
    12 Tennessee
    13 Texas A&M
    14 Florida State
    15 Baylor
    16 Florida
    17 LSU
    18 Arkansas
    19 Miami
    20 Nebraska
    21 Ole Miss
    22.TCU
    23 Utah
    24.Texas
    25 Iowa
  • Options
    How can Iowa be 25th? I like them as a fan but come on... they beat Miami of Ohio and Iowa State and then lost to an FCS school. NO way they should be in the top 25. I would say a two loss Oklahoma team is better than them. Very odd in my opinion.
  • Options
    I have zero problem with that top 10

M
  • Options

I could see Michigan dropping to 5 but FWIW they were favored by 17 vs Colorado and that's exactly what they beat them by. I bet on Colorado when it opened Colorado +19.5. I was praying Michigan missed that 39 yard with 6 minutes left and they were answered.

mark

I hear ya about Michigan. I was thinking more about the shock of them being behind early but you are right they came back and about covered. Surprised the line wasn't a lot more than that. Shows how little I know! image
  • Options
    North Dakota state is the best fcs team in the country. Nobody wants to play them. They beat nine fbs teams since 2005

• Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    I actually thought Michigan State was going to lose to ND before the game, just based on their previous performance. I still don't think they are that great, but will continue to root for them!
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    Originally posted by: royalbrett

I actually thought Michigan State was going to lose to ND before the game, just based on their previous performance. I still don't think they are that great, but will continue to root for them!

They have a great coach

mark

• Options
    AP Poll

This one lined up with mine. LarryAllen this one has Iowa dropping out out of the top 25 and has Oklahoma in it.

1.Alabama (50)

2.Ohio St. (4)

3.Louisville (6)

4.Michigan (1)

5.Clemson

6.Houston

7.Stanford

8.Michigan St.

9.Washington

10.Texas A&M

11.Wisconsin

12.Georgia

13.Florida St.

14.Tennessee

15.Miami (FL)

16.Baylor

17.Arkansas

18.LSU

19.Florida

20.Nebraska

21.Texas

22.S. Diego St.

23.Mississippi

24.Utah

25.Oklahoma

• Options
    AP Poll

This one lined up with mine. LarryAllen this one has Iowa dropping out out of the top 25 and has Oklahoma in it.

1.Alabama (50)
    2.Ohio St. (4)
    3.Louisville (6)
    4.Michigan (1)
    5.Clemson
    6.Houston
    7.Stanford
    8.Michigan St.
    9.Washington
    10.Texas A&M
    11.Wisconsin
    12.Georgia
    13.Florida St.
    14.Tennessee
    15.Miami (FL)
    16.Baylor
    17.Arkansas
    18.LSU
    19.Florida
    20.Nebraska
    21.Texas
    22.S. Diego St.
    23.Mississippi
    24.Utah
    25.Oklahoma

That makes more sense to me. However, I quibble about Texas in the top 25 but Cal, who beat them last night, not in. Texas had that "big" win against Notre Dame... oh wait, that's two loss ND. Perceptions are funny in the rankings game. I realize a lot of teams are really close at this point so it's tough to rank them.