Home Sports Talk
Options

2016 College Football

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Louisville had more 1st place votes then OSU but not as many second place. Doesn't really matter but I would have had Louisville 2nd overall behind Alabama.

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Good game this Thursday Clemson at Georgia tech. Both teams are 3-0.

In two weeks Louisville at Clemson should be interesting.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    Originally posted by: garnettstyle

Good game this Thursday Clemson at Georgia tech. Both teams are 3-0.

In two weeks Louisville at Clemson should be interesting.

I'm looking forward to Clemson- Louiseville as well.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the rankings seem reasonable but the allotment of 1st place votes puzzles me. I suppose it will change as the season wears on but probably not by much.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Clemson at G-Tech this afternoon at 4:30 pacific time. I guess as good an excuse as any to go home a little early.

U$C at Utah Friday night. Could $C go to 1-3 on the season?

Alabama by 44 against Kent State on Saturday. Why bother scheduling that game?

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: larryallen73
    Clemson at G-Tech this afternoon at 4:30 pacific time. I guess as good an excuse as any to go home a little early.

U$C at Utah Friday night. Could $C go to 1-3 on the season?

Alabama by 44 against Kent State on Saturday. Why bother scheduling that game?

Saban played at Kent State and is helping the school out. I think they get a cool million+ for coming to Tuscaloosa. Saban played there when the National Guard shot the Kent State students. He talked about it this week and you could tell it still bothers him. One of the students killed was a female classmate that he knew.

I think GT might beat Clemson tonight and I think USC will be 1-3 Saturday morning.
    I'll be pulling for GT and USC.
  • Options
    I like Clemson giving the points tonight FWIW but I will be rooting for GT

mark
  • Options
    Yikes. Total yards after 1 quarter is 174 for Clemson and negative 1 for G-tech.
  • Options
    23 total yards in the first half for GT. Not going to win many games with that.
  • Options
    Looking like alabama has a easy schedule considering USC is crap and the sec is down.

• Options
    Looking like osu has a easy schedule considering Oklahoma is crap and the Big 10 is weak.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Bullsitter
    Looking like osu has a easy schedule considering Oklahoma is crap and the Big 10 is weak.

LOL. Four teams in the top 11.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Tabe

What week are we in...LOL, I thought the "final poll" comes in January of 2017.

I remember some saying the same thing last year, "the SEC is down". How did those bowl games turn out? Crickets.

• Options

I remember some saying the same thing last year, "the SEC is down". How did those bowl games turn out? Crickets.

Ya, long way to go. Think to the early parts of the season a year or two ago when one of the Big 10 conferences was ranked at or below the Mountain West by one of those conference ranking sites but they came up a lot as the season went on. To base who is good, who is overrated, etc... it's a bit premature. Look at the games. For example, I love Iowa but they lost to an inferior football team last week. The Big 10 doesn't think anything of losing to 1aa school since Michigan lost to App State in that famous game years ago. At the end of the season I expect to see Alabama on top and Ohio State nipping at their heals. At this moment those look like the two best teams so I hope they are able to meet in the end to let the players decide who is best.
  • Options
    Good games tomorrow, three teams will get their first loss.

I like:
    MSU over Wisconsin
    Tennessee over Florida
    A&M over Arkansas
  • Options

Even finebaum said the sec was down last year. That's why they had favorable matchups in the bowls. Auburn got to play their bowl in their own backyard.

This year so far big ten is 8-3 against other power five teams. Sec is 5-5.

• Options

Even finebaum said the sec was down last year. That's why they had favorable matchups in the bowls. Auburn got to play their bowl in their own backyard.

This year so far big ten is 8-3 against other power five teams. Sec is 5-5

You forgot to mention all the ugly losses the BIG Ten lost to non power 5 teams. It must of slipped your mind. Iowa losing to NDST, Illinois losing to Western Michigan, Northwesten losing to Western Michigan, Northwestern losing to Illinois St and Purdue getting killed by Cincy. The Big Ten has SO many TERRIBLE teams

No question The SEC Is the best top to bottom.

The ACC has the most good teams in their league and they are second best by a lot

Just like last year the Big Ten is number 3. They look to have a couple of very good teams a couple of good teams and a couple of average teams and over half of the league is bad.

So evert thing Finebaum says so believe? It that case I'll remember it and be sure to report back.FYI the context in which he said it in was that the SEC has been so good for so long and so much better then anyone else that last year the gap shrunk. It shrunk so much that the SEC won the National Championship and the SEC went something like 8-2 in Bowl Games. Ya, some down year for the SEC! Imagine the glory years.

mark

• Options
    Disagree. Even sec hack finebaum said this week the big ten is the best conference. There are bad teams in every conference and the big ten east is the best division. You act like Mac teams are no good? Ask Arkansas about Mac teams lol. They lost to Toledo last year and anyone who follows football knows that North Dakota state is a great team. They have beat the last 6 fbs teams they have played and should be ranked in the top 25. The sec has not looked too good so far. Tennessee should've lost to app state. LSU lost to Wisconsin despite the fact that Wisconsin has no offense and LSU is supposed to be one of the best and most talented teams in country. After alabama, what other team has looked very good in the sec? Maybe Texas A&M? Arkansas?
    Mississippi state lost to south alabama. Kentucky lost to southern Mississippi. Georgia almost lost to Nicholls state.

• Options
    Finebaum????????????????????????????

Don't you know he stirs the pot for ratings. He's been doing that for over 20 years. He's new to most fans but here in Bama we know him oh so well. Just another ESPN talking head that doesn't know much more than we do.

MSU 17
    OSU 14

I work with a Michigan fan and I ask him how to get from Birmingham to OSU. He told me to go north until I smell it, then go east until I step in it.
  • Options

Disagree. Even sec hack finebaum said this week the big ten is the best conference. There are bad teams in every conference and the big ten east is the best division. You act like Mac teams are no good? Ask Arkansas about Mac teams lol. They lost to Toledo last year and anyone who follows football knows that North Dakota state is a great team. They have beat the last 6 fbs teams they have played and should be ranked in the top 25. The sec has not looked too good so far. Tennessee should've lost to app state. LSU lost to Wisconsin despite the fact that Wisconsin has no offense and LSU is supposed to be one of the best and most talented teams in country. After alabama, what other team has looked very good in the sec? Maybe Texas A&M? Arkansas?

Mississippi state lost to south alabama. Kentucky lost to southern Mississippi. Georgia almost lost to Nicholls state.

Of course you disagree but you brought up power 5 losses not me. I brought up NON power 5 losses and somehow you twist them into being "better" losses. Wisconsin should have lost to Georgia State at home. Iowa, NW, Illinois lost to non power 5 AT home. The ACC is better then the Big Ten and it's not even close. Too many poor to average teams IMO.

Time to watch the Wisconsin- MSU game which is on the BTN btw. No ESPN no network.

mark

• Options
    Georgia lol

• Options
    MSU LOL
  • Options
    Wow Mississippi looks great today. What an early gauntlet of a schedule ( Alabama, FSU, Georgia) . Plus they still have A&M, LSU, MSU & Arkansas left

mark
  • Options

this is sensible except that it isn't the logic that is used by the voters. a good point is last year or the year before when Alabama beat LSU about midway in the season and much was made of it. I think LSU went on to lose three games that year, suffered in the Poll(s) as they should have, but Alabama benefitted because of where they were ranked when they played.

right now the OSU schedule has to be seen as what it is. they scheduled Oklahoma, and if everyone is honest about it, they predicted that OSU would lose. the Sooners are a different Team now and we hear that "Oklahoma is crap".......................OSU can't do anything about that. their schedule as it is seen now has those Top 10 and Top 25 Teams in it although that might change. it pleases me that the schools have to play the games instead of us sitting here and deciding who is best.

I recall that a couple of years ago when there was quite a bit of belly-aching about OSU being in the playoffs, then they TOTALLY DOMINATED the Teams they played in the Big 10 Championship and in the NCAA Championship.

it is a good thing that the games are played.
  • Options
    MSU LOL

MSU lost to 4-0 team. How is that funny?

• Options
    Wisconsin looked great today. Freshman QB played really well

mark

• Options
    Michigan is looking OK right now.

just like it took Urban Meyer at OSU a few years to fully implement his players into his scheme, it will take Harbaugh a few years to get the Wolverines to reflect his football personality. I long for some Woody Hayes/Bo Schembechler type games in the future between these two coaches.

Classic!!
  • Options
    Tennessee v. Florida is a lot more exciting now that the Vols are catching passes in the second half. Vols are UP 24-17 at the moment.
  • Options
    Wow duke is up with under two minutes.
  • Options
    DUKE !!!!!

• Options
    Originally posted by: keets

Michigan is looking OK right now.

just like it took Urban Meyer at OSU a few years to fully implement his players into his scheme, it will take Harbaugh a few years to get the Wolverines to reflect his football personality. I long for some Woody Hayes/Bo Schembechler type games in the future between these two coaches.

Classic!!

As an OSU guy I'm sure that hurt to say as Michigan beats down Penn St 49-10. Michigan has s much talent as anybody in the country on both sides of the ball. Let's see how much Harbaugh get out of them. They had 326 yards on the ground today. Can't remember the last time a Michigan team had close to that

U-M bs Wisconsin next week should be fun.
  • Options

DUKE !!!!!

Both Indiana teams got beat by middle of the pack ACC also rans at home. Duke beats ND and Wake Forest beat Indiana as well.

The ACC might be the best conference.

mark

mark
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman
    DUKE !!!!!

Both Indiana teams got beat by middle of the pack ACC also rans at home. Duke beats ND and Wake Forest beat Indiana as well.

mark

mark

Speaking of the state of Indiana teams Nevada had a first down at 3 with a few minutes to go and down 3. Purdue stopped them and then Nevada hooked a field goal attempt. Not saying Purdue got lucky as they did stop them on the first and goal but they easily could have lost that game... and Nevada is not good this year.
  • Options

DUKE !!!!!

mark

mark

Speaking of the state of Indiana teams Nevada had a first down at 3 with a few minutes to go and down 3. Purdue stopped them and then Nevada hooked a field goal attempt. Not saying Purdue got lucky as they did stop them on the first and goal but they easily could have lost that game... and Nevada is not good this year.

Purdue is awful. I hate to see this

mark

• Options
    DUKE !!!!!

mark

mark

Northwestern beat duke.

• Options

DUKE !!!!!

mark

mark

Northwestern beat duke.

I just remembered that Illinois State also beat NW

• Options
    What a crazy finish to the Auburn-LSU game.

mark
  • Options

As stated above being 1 or 2 has no bearing this early in the season. A bigger deal is being 4 not 5 because I think if you are borderline you want the committee to get used to seeing you in the #4. That would be Houston or Louisville most notably.

I only saw a few minutes of Ohio State but they seemed to dominate their game more so than Alabama did. However, taking the season as a whole I think Alabama is still ahead of OSU. Plus we don't yet know what Oklahoma is this year. Maybe they just aren't a top 25 team!? Michigan should not be in the top 4 after having trouble with a marginal Colorado team.

I would like to see Louisville and Houston remain undefeated. Would be an epic showdown in a few weeks.

I could see Michigan dropping to 5 but FWIW they were favored by 17 vs Colorado and that's exactly what they beat them by. I bet on Colorado when it opened Colorado +19.5. I was praying Michigan missed that 39 yard with 6 minutes left and they were answered.

mark

I hear ya about Michigan. I was thinking more about the shock of them being behind early but you are right they came back and about covered. Surprised the line wasn't a lot more than that. Shows how little I know! image

Colorado beat Oregon at Eugene today with their true freshman #2 QB......they are pretty good.

Good luck with Stanford.

mark
  • Options
    As stated above being 1 or 2 has no bearing this early in the season. A bigger deal is being 4 not 5 because I think if you are borderline you want the committee to get used to seeing you in the #4. That would be Houston or Louisville most notably.

I only saw a few minutes of Ohio State but they seemed to dominate their game more so than Alabama did. However, taking the season as a whole I think Alabama is still ahead of OSU. Plus we don't yet know what Oklahoma is this year. Maybe they just aren't a top 25 team!? Michigan should not be in the top 4 after having trouble with a marginal Colorado team.

I would like to see Louisville and Houston remain undefeated. Would be an epic showdown in a few weeks.

I could see Michigan dropping to 5 but FWIW they were favored by 17 vs Colorado and that's exactly what they beat them by. I bet on Colorado when it opened Colorado +19.5. I was praying Michigan missed that 39 yard with 6 minutes left and they were answered.

mark

I hear ya about Michigan. I was thinking more about the shock of them being behind early but you are right they came back and about covered. Surprised the line wasn't a lot more than that. Shows how little I know! image

Colorado beat Oregon at Eugene today with their true freshman #2 QB......they are pretty good.

Good luck with Stanford.

mark

Ya, Colorado is better than advertised for sure. Only their 6th conference win since they joined the conference in 2011. Other than Washington State and Oregon State the Pac 12 is pretty solid. Maybe not great but lots of very good teams I think. First half went well for UCLA. Ready for the second half... and the Dodgers clinching the division tonight too.
  • Options
    Using the GRS (Garnett Ranking System) I think Auburn should be ranked higher than Wisconsin.
    Auburn beat LSU by 5 and Wisconsin only beat LSU by 2.

• Options

Using the GRS (Garnett Ranking System) I think Auburn should be ranked higher than Wisconsin.

To further complicate things in the GSR you have to factor in that two of Wisconsin's wins have now been compromised. The LSU win doesn't look so good as they have two losses. Furthermore the Wisconsin win against Michigan St doesn't look as good since MSU's win against Notre Dame means very little now since Notre Dame lost to Duke and Duke lost to Northwestern who lost to Western Michigan. Therefore Western Michigan should be number 1. Can't argue with the circular logic of the GSR.

mark

• Options
  • Options

To further complicate things in the GSR you have to factor in that two of Wisconsin's wins have now been compromised. The LSU win doesn't look so good as they have two losses. Furthermore the Wisconsin win against Michigan St doesn't look as good since MSU's win against Notre Dame means very little now since Notre Dame lost to Duke and Duke lost to Northwestern who lost to Western Michigan. Therefore Western Michigan should be number 1. Can't argue with the circular logic of the GSR.

mark

• Options
    As an OSU guy I'm sure that hurt to say

I'd like to think I can be objective, I just sometimes see things through a different lens. to that end, the beat-down on Penn State shouldn't be given too much emphasis, that program is in a tailspin. that the Wolverines were able to run all over them at home should have been expected. as the season progresses we'll have a better idea of how the Michigan OSU game will play out in the HorseShoe.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Georgia lol

That was the most difficult UGA game I've watched in a long time. We looked like total asscake.
  • Options
    I watched the whole UCLA/Stanford game. UCLA came to play and looked good for 59 minutes. I still think the Pac-12 is tougher than people are providing for. Stanford's QB got his confidence with that last minute drive to win. I have not seen Washington play yet so can't say much about them. Their QB is a legend here in the Sacramento area. I think he threw for about a billion yards in high school if not more!
  • Options

I watched the whole UCLA/Stanford game. UCLA came to play and looked good for 59 minutes. I still think the Pac-12 is tougher than people are providing for. Stanford's QB got his confidence with that last minute drive to win. I have not seen Washington play yet so can't say much about them. Their QB is a legend here in the Sacramento area. I think he threw for about a billion yards in high school if not more!

Tough loss last night. I watched all the PAC 12 games last night. I don't thing anyone from the Central and Eastern time zones do and therefore have no idea what the PAC 12 is. UCLA could beat anyone in the Top 10 on a given night. They have tough losses to Texas A&M and Stanford. Those are two great teams. Washington, UCLA, Utah and Stanford can play with anybody. Arizona, ASU, Colorado and Oregon have all showed flashes of being good. USC couldn't overcome their schedule and is paying the price.

Don't forget that the PAC 12 was the second best power 5 conference last bowl season. I think they will be fine this year as well.

mark
  • Options
    Originally posted by: DrBuster

Georgia lol

That was the most difficult UGA game I've watched in a long time. We looked like total asscake.

Ya, you played like cr@p and you lost to a very very very good team

mark
  • Options
    Originally posted by: keets

As an OSU guy I'm sure that hurt to say

I'd like to think I can be objective, I just sometimes see things through a different lens. to that end, the beat-down on Penn State shouldn't be given too much emphasis, that program is in a tailspin. that the Wolverines were able to run all over them at home should have been expected. as the season progresses we'll have a better idea of how the Michigan OSU game will play out in the HorseShoe.

My point wasn't Penn St. They are just one of the many Big Ten's bad teams. I watch tape of all Big Ten schools. My point was Michigan hasn't run the ball like this against ANYBODY in a long time. My point was this fits into Harbaughs personality and Michigan has the horses to get things done now and he doesn't has to wait a few years as you earlier suggested. I do agree that the next few years they should be even better as they adjust to his system. He ain't easy....; )

I think most people long for a renewed Michigan- OSU rivalry. It hasn't been fun the past decade as OSU dominated and it wasn't fun during the John Copper decade either. I think OSU won one game in an eleven year span. That's no fun. Bo Vs Woody? Now that was the world. Harbaugh vs Meyer could be great providing one of them doesn't bolt or die from a heart attack on the sideline first

mark
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Looks Michigan State is who I thought they were.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001