Options

2016 College Football

Comments

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: larryallen73

Ohio State.

77-10? Hmm.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: sparky64
    Ohio State.

77-10? Hmm.

Ya, they really showed how great they are scoring 3 touchdowns in the 4th. Way to go buckey.

Also, good for South Alabama and Michigan directional U. Love the little guys getting the wins.

Fun day so far....
  • Options
    Stay classy LSU. LOL!
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stay classy LSU. LOL!

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    USC v. 'bama is tight so far.
  • Options
    USC's defense looked incredible and Alabama looked pretty average... for one quarter.
  • Options
    Lane Kiffin is running it up on SC right now.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great win for Wisconsin.

Two teams fall out of the top five and the first week ain't even over yet.

Houston was either 13-1 or 14-1 last year with a win against FSU in their bowl game. With their win against Oklamoma they could be a party crasher come playoff time.

Could be lots of two loss teams battling for a spot.

Fun

m
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wisconsin came to play, they played 60 minutes. Stop the LSU run game and you can beat 'em. Looks like the same LSU team from last year.

Clemson looks beatable.

After a very slow start due to a very quick and hard hitting USC defense Bama did their thing. Played a true freshmen qb that played very well. Defense was lights out, a little faster than last year. I'd like to thank #40 from USC. His stomp on the Bama players groin kinda pissed the whole team off. I heard Kiffin made sure Helton got on the plane.

I think OSU should be # 1, great job against Bowling Team.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman
    Great win for Wisconsin.

Two teams fall out of the top five and the first week ain't even over yet.

Houston was either 13-1 or 14-1 last year with a win against FSU in their bowl game. With their win against Oklamoma they could be a party crasher come playoff time.

Could be lots of two loss teams battling for a spot.

Fun

m

Would love to see Houston crash the playoffs.
  • Options
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    "Alabama clearly is capable of defending its national title and extending its modern dynasty and perhaps never losing again.

And USC humiliated itself to a staggering degree, in one of the worst nights in program history.

The latter really isn’t that extreme"

Truer words never written ; )

mark
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Justacommeman
    "Alabama clearly is capable of defending its national title and extending its modern dynasty and perhaps never losing again.

And USC humiliated itself to a staggering degree, in one of the worst nights in program history.

The latter really isn’t that extreme"

Truer words never written ; )

mark

It's funny but I was upset, as a Pac 12 fan, by USC not showing up. However, as a UCLA fan it doesn't break my heart. image
  • Options
    Hey Larry, UCLA could have won that game. I watched most of the second half and Rosen is a hell of a QB.

I can't wait for the Stanford vs USC game in a few weeks. See if they can bounce back, I'd like to see them do well.....except for #40.

Texas, Notre Dame coming up. I'm picking ND but pulling for Texas.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Bullsitter
    Hey Larry, UCLA could have won that game. I watched most of the second half and Rosen is a hell of a QB.

I can't wait for the Stanford vs USC game in a few weeks. See if they can bounce back, I'd like to see them do well.....except for #40.

Texas, Notre Dame coming up. I'm picking ND but pulling for Texas.

Thanks Bull. I agree Josh Rosen is a very good QB. He's only a sophomore so he is still growing. If the UCLA wide receivers hadn't dropped so many well thrown balls the game would have had a different ending but, of course, it's always something. Woulda, coulda, shoulda....

Texas v. ND didn't disappoint. Great game. Would be good for college football if Texas is back.
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Probably looking at one sec team ranked in the top 10 if mississippi loses.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    Originally posted by: garnettstyle

Which team is that Garnett? What's their ranking?

That's what I thought....................CRICKETS.
  • Options
    And that's when the fight started

mark
  • Options
    whoops. I'm still traveling abroad and the internet sucks. Sorry for the triple

mark
  • Options
  • Options

Ya, SEC sucks. They are so overrated. LOL.

It is week ONE.

Let's see how the season plays out. My guess is there will be 3 or 4 SEC teams at the top like normal.

If Alabama is half as good as they looked we know who #1 is and everybody else is playing for #2.

However, again, just week one.

Big 10, Big 12 and SEC had good wins.

Long season....
  • Options
    Polls after week 1:

AP
    1 Alabama(54) 1-0 1518 —
    2 Clemson(2) 1-0 1416 —
    3 Florida State(4) 1-0 1413 1
    4 Ohio State 1-0 1324 2
    5 Michigan(1) 1-0 1261 2
    6 Houston 1-0 1243 9
    7 Stanford 1-0 1140 1
    8 Washington 1-0 884 6
    9 Georgia 1-0 877 9
    10 Wisconsin 1-0 759 —

Coaches
    1 Alabama(62) 1-0 1598 —
    2 Clemson(2) 1-0 1513 —
    3 Florida State 1-0 1454 1
    4 Ohio State 1-0 1424 1
    5 Stanford 1-0 1284 2
    6 Michigan 1-0 1261 2
    7 Houston 1-0 1213 6
    8 Michigan State 1-0 1027 3
    9 Georgia 1-0 934 7
    10 Iowa 1-0 797 5

Go Houston!
  • Options
    PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up on the new poll, larryallen.

Looks about right to me, although I'd flip Clemson and FSU after week 1. I also wouldn't have Washington that high. I'd slide them below Louisville (#13).

Oklahoma State won 61-7 and dropped.
  • Options
    Would be a shame if Houston goes undefeated and don't make the playoffs. Say if you have a undefeated acc, big ten, pac 12, and a 1 loss sec team. Would Houston get left out?

• Options
    Out of the "new" Top Ten, which teams had the easiest games last week?

• Options
    Would be a shame if Houston goes undefeated and don't make the playoffs. Say if you have a undefeated acc, big ten, pac 12, and a 1 loss sec team. Would Houston get left out?

Yep, Houston doesn't play anybody else except Louisville. Besides, Oklahoma sucks. Hey Garnett, y'all have Oklahoma in a couple of weeks. How bad are y'all going to beat them?
    Remember, Oklahoma might not have their starting tailback, Houston hurt him.

Houston needs to join the Big 12 if they want to be considered for the playoff. Could they beat Texas next week and TCU the following week instead of Lamar and Cincinatti?

• Options

Yep, Houston doesn't play anybody else except Louisville. Besides, Oklahoma sucks. Hey Garnett, y'all have Oklahoma in a couple of weeks. How bad are y'all going to beat them?

Remember, Oklahoma might not have their starting tailback, Houston hurt him.

Houston needs to join the Big 12 if they want to be considered for the playoff. Could they beat Texas next week and TCU the following week instead of Lamar and Cincinatti?

I think having an undefeated Big Ten AND PAC 12 team is a long long shot. Has that ever happened in recent memory?

mark

• Options

I would much rather have Houston than a one loss any conference.

The key advantage Houston has is they started the season high and won their first big game. If Oklahoma and Louisville have good years and Houston wins all they are IN the playoffs.

It's different than the years that Boise State, Utah, East Carolina, etc... tried to crash the party but they started unranked or ranked 25th. I think Houston has a big leg up. Plus, it sounds like they could be going to the Big 12 before long anyway.

It's a long way to go but I think there is a very good chance for Houston to get in to the playoffs. Step one is winning all their games. That's not easy even when playing their schedule.
  • Options
    For what little means after 1 week bowl projections from ESPN:

College Football Playoff semifinals

College Football Playoff at the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl

Georgia Dome, Atlanta
    Saturday, Dec. 31, TBD (ESPN)

Schlabach: Alabama vs. Houston
    McMurphy: Alabama vs. Houston

College Football Playoff at the Fiesta Bowl

University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, Arizona
    Saturday, Dec. 31, TBD (ESPN)

Schlabach: Florida State vs. Ohio State
    McMurphy: Florida State vs. Ohio State

College Football Playoff National Championship

Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, Florida
    Monday, Jan. 9, 2017, TBD (ESPN)

Schlabach: Alabama vs. Ohio State
    McMurphy: Alabama vs. Ohio State

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17476494/college-football-bowl-projections-2016-season-week-2
  • Options
    Maybe Illinois STATE should join the Big 10!? LOL!

• Options
    Yesterday was brutal, glad week two is over. TCU vs Arkansas was a fun game to watch, TCU kind of slashed their on throat. Oklahoma State got robbed. Pitt outlast Penn State and Utah stops the BYU two point conversion to win the game. The big boys ate well as expected and look to next weeks games. Going to be some good games next week OSU/Oklahoma, FSU/Louisville, ND/Michigan State, Stanford/USC and Bama/Ole Miss.

Speaking of Bama, we looked bad yesterday. Hats off to Western Kentucky, they came to play.Coach Saban was hot, he blasted Kiffin and the whole offense.
    Bama vs Ole Miss is going to be a war, I'm glad it comes on at 2:30.

I hope the OSU and Oklahoma game comes on late. Garnett, I hope y'all stomp the Sooners. I want Michigan to be the first team to beat y'all. Speaking of Michigan, what's up with Harbaugh picking his nose on TV? Can we get an over/under on that during next weeks game? Gotta be at least 5 picks and I'm taking the over, ya know a "new" pick 6.

OSU 38
    OKLA 27

AP POLL after Week Two

1. Alabama (56)

2. Florida State (4)

3. Ohio State

4. Michigan (1)

5. Clemson

6. Houston

7. Stanford

8. Washington

9. Wisconsin

10. Louisville

11. Texas

12. Michigan State

13. Iowa

14. Oklahoma

15. Tennessee

16. Georgia

17. Texas A&M

18. Notre Dame

19. Ole Miss

20. LSU

21. Baylor

22. Oregon

23. Florida

24. Arkansas

25. Miami

• Options
    Big game in Norman Saturday night.

Lots of great matchups next week.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    So that makes eight losses out of our last nine (our only win is UNC-Charlotte, like wow image) Good thing basketball season is only two months away... image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

Big game in Norman Saturday night.

Lots of great matchups next week.

Go Buckeyes

mark
  • Options
    Ohio State only favored by 2.5 at Oklahoma. I don't gamble but I think I would take Ohio State if I did. Houston made Oklahoma look pretty pedestrian in week one.

Alabama is favored by 9.5 at Ole Miss. I think I would take Miss with all those points.

What do you experts think?
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    So you're saying betting on Miss going against the Tide is a Can't Miss opportunity? image If they miss the spread though you could say the Tide will make you wipeout! image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Ohio State only favored by 2.5 at Oklahoma. I don't gamble but I think I would take Ohio State if I did. Houston made Oklahoma look pretty pedestrian in week one.

Alabama is favored by 9.5 at Ole Miss. I think I would take Miss with all those points.

What do you experts think?

I am by no means an expert, but....I usually love home dogs. Those are a lot of points in that Alabama game. I'm surprised Ohio State is favored at all. That said I could see the line grow to 3.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was at the UGA/Nicholls game. We looked horrible on the line, they stood us up. Lots of work to do but I'll take the W. Surprised UT jumped us in the AP poll actually.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: DrBuster
    I was at the UGA/Nicholls game. We looked horrible on the line, they stood us up. Lots of work to do but I'll take the W. Surprised UT jumped us in the AP poll actually.

That is surprising. UNC is a MUCH better win than Virginia Tech and the App State was a much scarier survival than Nicholls.

That said, I think App State is much better than Nicholls.
  • Options
    Larry, I'd take OSU and Ole Miss and the points on those two games. Seems like they're begging you to take OSU. Oklahoma opened as a 1 point favorite but that didn't last long, I think OSU wins by double digits. Bama opened as a 7 point favorite and it's up to 10 or so now. I'd be happy with a 1 point win, take Ole Piss and the points.

• Options
    Originally posted by: PM770

Originally posted by: DrBuster

That is surprising. UNC is a MUCH better win than Virginia Tech and the App State was a much scarier survival than Nicholls.

That said, I think App State is much better than Nicholls.

App State is always a possible spoiler. Nicholls, even with us starting a bunch of freshman, should have been a roll and that was obviously not going to happen after the first Q was on the books.

• Options
    Who wins between Notre Dame and Michigan State?

• Options
    DrBuster, give Kirby some time and he'll make Georgia a force to deal with. He's a hell of a recruiter and the state of Georgia is loaded with talent every year. He put together a pretty good staff in a short amount of time and last year he had to take recruits that Coach R. had recruited. Kirby is off to a great start this year in recruiting and he's not done.

It's hard to focus and play against a nobody a week after a big win. Beating N. Carolina was big. Happened to us against W. Kentucky.
  • Options
    Who wins between Notre Dame and Michigan State?

I got Notre Dame, MSU ain't jack squat.

• Options

DrBuster, give Kirby some time and he'll make Georgia a force to deal with. He's a hell of a recruiter and the state of Georgia is loaded with talent every year. He put together a pretty good staff in a short amount of time and last year he had to take recruits that Coach R. had recruited. Kirby is off to a great start this year in recruiting and he's not done.

It's hard to focus and play against a nobody a week after a big win. Beating N. Carolina was big. Happened to us against W. Kentucky.

Oh I'm not worried, I'm just a realist alumfan and we just didn't look too good in the game when we should have had lots of highlight reel action. Was hoping to see Chubb get at least 100+ quick and sit, and he struggled to get 80 through 4. Eason needs more time to get used to the college game and his receivers need to catch (we dropped/missed a bunch).

We'll get there.

• Options
    Houston game was a lot closer than the final score indicates if you didn't see it. Cinci was ahead 16-12 early 4th and then Houston rolled for 4 TD's to make the final score.
  • Options
    Houston game was a lot closer than the final score indicates if you didn't see it. Cinci was ahead 16-12 early 4th and then Houston rolled for 4 TD's to make the final score.

Tubby had his boys ready but they couldn't pull it off. I think Louisville vs Houston will be a fun game to watch.
  • Options

Tubby had his boys ready but they couldn't pull it off. I think Louisville vs Houston will be a fun game to watch.

A lot of great matchups this weekend but none better then #2 FSU @ #10 Louisville.

mark
  • Options
    The best matchup by far is between the two biggest super powers of all time. Ohio State vs Oklahoma. It doesn't get any better.

• Options
    double post