Home Sports Talk
Options

2016 College Football

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember the most embarrassing moment in Ohio State history. We were playing that team up North during inclimate weather. There was a clap of thunder. The Buckeyes thought it was the end of the half and ran off the field. Four plays later the Wolverines scored.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Brick
    I remember the most embarrassing moment in Ohio State history. We were playing that team up North during inclimate weather. There was a clap of thunder. The Buckeyes thought it was the end of the half and ran off the field. Four plays later the Wolverines scored.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a clap of thunder.

how times change, they won't even let the players take the field if there's "inclement weather" which includes lightning within a half hour. that's what stopped the OSU/Oklahoma game from starting on time.
  • Options
    WEEK 5 AMWAY COACHES POLL

1. Alabama (57)

2. Ohio State (3)

3. Clemson (2)

4. Michigan

5. Houston

6. Washington

7. Texas A&M

8. Louisville

9. Tennessee

10. Miami

11. Baylor

12. Nebraska

13. Wisconsin

14. Ole Miss

15. Stanford

16. North Carolina

17. Arkansas

18. Florida

19. Boise State

20. West Virginia

21. Florida State

22. Oklahoma

23. Colorado

24. Utah

25. Western Michigan
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AP Poll Top Ten

Alabama

OSU

Clemson

Michigan

Washington

Houston

Louisville

Texas A&M

Tennessee

Miami

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    any idea what it will take to peel away some first place votes from Alabama?? who in the heck voted for Michigan and Clemson as the #1 Teams?? that's just silly.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    We skipped the Vandy game and drove to Knoxville. Ended up watching the Vols game at a bar. Nothing like being in an environment like that for an incredible ending to a game. WOW! That was fun. I am not a Vol's fan but it was exciting.
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Finally Western Michigan getting some respect and there is no way Florida state should be ranked.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    Originally posted by: garnettstyle

Finally Western Michigan getting some respect and there is no way Florida state should be ranked.

Glad to see Western Michigagan as well. With two wins against the Big Ten West they would be in first place in that division.

I guess the same could be said about 2-2 Oklahoma being in the top 25. They have two losses to teams currently in the top ten granted. But they only have one decent win to a team not even in the top 25.

FSU at 3-2 lost one game to a team currently in the top ten. They lost another to a team in the top 20. They do have a win again a top 15 team at least.

Not much to choose from.

Mark
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Originally posted by: keets

any idea what it will take to peel away some first place votes from Alabama?? who in the heck voted for Michigan and Clemson as the #1 Teams?? that's just silly.

I can only say Clemson has the best win at the moment and is undefeated.

The guy voting for Michigan has done so every week including pre season. He is a sportswriter from LA. I guess with Michigans wins against Wisconsin and now number 21 Colorado he hasn't felt compelled to change it. I know this theory was Michigan would be 11-0 going into the OSU game. Who know. There is so many games to go and it will all sort itself out with elimination games. I'm not defending him I just happen to of seen an article on it.

Personally I like the AP exactly the way they have it. I also would have no problem seeing OSU, Alabama or Clemson at number 1 currently.

mark

• Options
    Say if ohio state, alabama, Clemson, Washington, and Houston all go undefeated. Who gets left out?

• Options

Say if ohio state, alabama, Clemson, Washington, and Houston all go undefeated. Who gets left out?

Probably Houston and it would be a shame. But this scenario won't happen. Likely 3,4 or 5 of these teams will end up with a loss.

mark
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spoken like a true Buckeye Keets
    Mark, I watched most of the first half which ended 7-0 and didn't show much of anything from either Team. Michigan seemed to play with a little more enthusiasm and I attribute that to the home crowd. if we assume both Teams improve and head into the game in Columbus undefeated I can't see any way that Michigan wins. they have a stout defense which is typical for them, but their offense doesn't seem to have much pop. as I said, the announcers really talked up Speight but that's all hollow hype. the way I see the Michigan offense is that they spread the ball well, both running and passing by getting everyone involved --- I do think the offensive line is suspect both in run blocking and pass blocking. heck, they averaged less than three yards per carry and a couple of long passes inflated Speight's stats.

I am a True Buckeye fan, but I think my comments on the Michigan game are accurate and objective. if the Wolverines are the Big 10 hope to derail the Buckeyes I expect the train to stay on the tracks.

I'm a Michigan guy and I agree with this assessment. I think Michigan's defense will give Ohio trouble but I haven't seen enough from the offense to beat Ohio yet. If Michigan loses again to Ohio this year, no big deal. Year 3 for Harbaugh is what I've been eyeing all along anyway.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Tabe

Spoken like a true Buckeye Keets

Mark, I watched most of the first half which ended 7-0 and didn't show much of anything from either Team. Michigan seemed to play with a little more enthusiasm and I attribute that to the home crowd. if we assume both Teams improve and head into the game in Columbus undefeated I can't see any way that Michigan wins. they have a stout defense which is typical for them, but their offense doesn't seem to have much pop. as I said, the announcers really talked up Speight but that's all hollow hype. the way I see the Michigan offense is that they spread the ball well, both running and passing by getting everyone involved --- I do think the offensive line is suspect both in run blocking and pass blocking. heck, they averaged less than three yards per carry and a couple of long passes inflated Speight's stats.

I am a True Buckeye fan, but I think my comments on the Michigan game are accurate and objective. if the Wolverines are the Big 10 hope to derail the Buckeyes I expect the train to stay on the tracks.

I'm a Michigan guy and I agree with this assessment. I think Michigan's defense will give Ohio trouble but I haven't seen enough from the offense to beat Ohio yet. If Michigan loses again to Ohio this year, no big deal. Year 3 for Harbaugh is what I've been eyeing all along anyway.

Let's not forget that Wisconsin has a D as well.A pretty good one. If anything that was a Harbaugh kind of win. I think he loved winning both lines of scrimmage. Anyways that will be the best defense Michigan plays all year. Up until the offence has been potent.

I'm sure Ohio State will put up 50 on Wisconsin

And for goodness sakes keets any long plays from scrimmage "inflate" stats. You want to take away his 46 yard winning TD pass from his passing yards? Geez. I'm actually not on the Speight bandwagon either but up until this game he has done all they asked and more. Keets how many games have you seen Michigan play? Which ones? Just curious if you are basing all this on almost a whole half you watched of the game on Saturday against #8 Wisconsin? Michigan was averaging over 50 points a game including 45 pts on #22 Colorado. That's exactly the same score (45) OSU put on the #20 Sooners.

Michigan had 49 on Penn St and I'll be the first to say they stink but outside of 4 or 5 good teams the whole league is smells so what are you supposed to do?

And Tabe I hear you. No one is harder on Michigan then Michigan fans and alum

mark

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That UGA/Tenn game was just heartbreaking. The last few mins alone were enough to give both sides the emotional roller coaster.

The Dawgs...we have a lot of work to do. I hope to see Tennessee playing Bama for the SEC. They shouldn't have a problem closing out.
  • Options
    Mark, one and a half games for Michigan, at least good parts of them. I have only watched one OSU game and I have a feel for them.

my question to you is this --- looking at all these major Polls that EVERYTHING rests on, how many games do you think the voters actually watch?????
  • Options

my question to you is this --- looking at all these major Polls that EVERYTHING rests on, how many games do you think the voters actually watch?????

My buddy and I were back east this weekend and barely stayed up for the end of the Clemson game but certainly didn't stay up for the second half of the west coast games. If anything the west coast games are the ones that don't get watched in full. Any voter that says they give equal viewing to east coast and west coast games is a liar. They are either drunk Saturday night when they watch or watch a tape Sunday morning while hung over... and DVR through a lot of the commentary which would sway most voters. Of course this could help the west coast teams to as the final score can be more inflated than the game really was but I think overall it hurts the west coast teams to not get watched in full.
  • Options
    let's be realistic, I figure the voters probably watch football in much the same way we do as fans. they probably watch 2, 3, or 4 games per Saturday in their entirety while maybe looking in at others during commercials, time-outs and the half. then they probably watch however much of certain games to get an idea of what's going on with certain Teams or to see specific players.

an example might be the OSU game. did any of the voters really need to spend time watching highlights?? conversely, if some voters didn't watch UNC vs. FSU I would assume they might have after the score posted, or at least they did some intense highlight watching. do I think they really spend all day Saturday and all Sunday morning watching games before they vote.....................no, I really don't.

• Options
    Tennessee luck finally ran out.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tennessee luck finally ran out.

How many turnovers did they have.

I saw 4.

Any more?

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    lots of high scoring games today and the one I get stuck watching at work is NC State and Notre Dame, 10-3!!! it was fun watching the players slide around the field but not much past that. then I think I saw about half-of-a-half of the OSU game and the second quarter of Alabama vs. Arkansas. I did listen to some of the Buckeyes game on the radio driving home and it seemed that they were pinned at their goal-line by Indiana punts in the first half. their defense and special teams played OK but the offense struggled a little until the sort of wore the Hoosiers out in the fourth quarter.

Alabama, on the other hand, just seemed too much for Arkansas, just too fast and too many ways to come at them.

what did everyone else see??
  • Options

I managed to see about half of the Michigan/Wisconsin game and wasn't impressed by either Team. I think it came down to the simple fact that it was played in Ann Arbor, the other way around and Wisconsin would probably have won. the announcers clearly favored the Wolverines and seemed to have a love-affair with their QB.

originally posted by Keets

Posted by mark

Today was the first time I've been able to see the Buckeyes live since their opening game since they haven't been on TV much due to their schedule . I watched a couple quarters of the Indiana-OSU game and wasn't overly impressed by either team. OSU sputtered in the passing game and looked out of sync. Less then 100 yards passing at home. I think the key is to force Barrett to beat you with his arm. You can turn him over. A good pass rush and strong corners will present a big challenged for him

I think OSU's defensive line can't generate a lot of pressure on the QB. That may get better as the season goes along.

I'm looking forward to see how the Badgers D holds up against the Buckeyes. This will be the first good defense OSU faces this year. I do expect OSU to beat Wisconsin just as Michigan did to hold serve.

mark

• Options

lots of high scoring games today and the one I get stuck watching at work is NC State and Notre Dame, 10-3!!! it was fun watching the players slide around the field but not much past that. then I think I saw about half-of-a-half of the OSU game and the second quarter of Alabama vs. Arkansas. I did listen to some of the Buckeyes game on the radio driving home and it seemed that they were pinned at their goal-line by Indiana punts in the first half. their defense and special teams played OK but the offense struggled a little until the sort of wore the Hoosiers out in the fourth quarter.

Alabama, on the other hand, just seemed too much for Arkansas, just too fast and too many ways to come at them.

what did everyone else see??

Alabama and Washington were very impressive winning in hostile environments. Alabama against a Top 20 team.

The end of the Tennessee- A&M game was flat out ridiculous

mark

• Options
    Mark, Barrett didn't have a good day passing, but he beat Indiana with his run game. Just like he did against michigan last year.

• Options

Mark, Barrett didn't have a good day passing, but he beat Indiana with his run game.

He's capable,of big plays and he's very good. He's also capable of turnovers. Indiana had the right idea, they just don't have the athletes to execute it

mark

• Options
    neither Team had much success passing yesterday, the announcers made mention of the wind and it seemed at some point in the second half(maybe even at half-time) that Meyer made a decision not to pass. a few of the drives seemed to indicate as much. three of Barrett's passes stick out for me --- one deep down the sideline where the receiver was pinned to the outside and couldn't get to the ball which was thrown nicely, another long pass where the receiver turned his head the wrong way on a catchable pass, the interception that was right in the receivers hands and he flubbed the catch. when the third happened my son said "That was the receivers fault but it'll count against the QB" and he was totally right.

sometimes, depending on who we want to critique, the wrong guy gets blamed for errors. the coaches correct that stuff with film study and meetings. fans and commentators often remember incorrectly for a long time. also, OSU always has a game that they should win that ends up close. this wasn't that game, there will be another before the season ends.
  • Options

Probably Houston and it would be a shame. But this scenario won't happen. Likely 3,4 or 5 of these teams will end up with a loss.

good call, Mark.

• Options
    Whoa, Nellie....half way through the season...already !!

Good games yesterday and some good games October 15.

I watched some of the OSU game and the Michigan game. Michigan will more than be ready for OSU in a few weeks.

Using the GRS, I used the Rutgers game as an example, both Michigan and Ohio State have beat them. OSU beat them by 58 points BUT Michigan beat them by 78.

GRS results are in and I now have an updated Top 4

1. Michigan
    2. Alabama
    3. Clemson
    4. Ohio State
  • Options

neither Team had much success passing yesterday, the announcers made mention of the wind and it seemed at some point in the second half(maybe even at half-time) that Meyer made a decision not to pass. a few of the drives seemed to indicate as much. three of Barrett's passes stick out for me

I didn't realize the eye of the hurricane was right outside of Columbus image

mark
  • Options
    in the fourth quarter when Indiana had to mount a comeback and they were passing, it was into the wind. I don't know which end of the field that would be but both Teams were affected. again, this is what the announcers said, it was nothing I could see.

getting to the Polls, how does Houston get beaten by an unranked Navy Team and actually move "UP" in the Coaches Poll???
  • Options
    in the fourth quarter when Indiana had to mount a comeback and they were passing, it was into the wind. I don't know which end of the field that would be but both Teams were affected. again, this is what the announcers said, it was nothing I could see.

getting to the Polls, how does Houston get beaten by an unranked Navy Team and actually move "UP" in the Coaches Poll???
  • Options

Are you sure you aren't looking at last weeks polls? I thought they wouldn't be releasing polls until Monday because of the Sunday postponed games. I guess I was taking that for granted

mark
  • Options
    OK, your correct. I went and checked on the assumption that they had been released as usual. heck, I just woke up my girlfriend for work and she told me today was Columbus Day and she's off. must be nice to work for Our Uncle!!!
  • Options
    What about Boise State? Ranked 15th haven't beaten anybody and don't play anybody. What's their best case if they go undefeated? New Year's Day game but no playoff? That's my guess.

Bummer about Houston losing. They had a golden opportunity to sneak into a playoff game.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: larryallen73
    What about Boise State? Ranked 15th haven't beaten anybody and don't play anybody. What's their best case if they go undefeated? New Year's Day game but no playoff? That's my guess.

Bummer about Houston losing. They had a golden opportunity to sneak into a playoff game.

Bummer, but very difficult to go undefeated. No team last year went unbeaten.

• Options

What games is everyone watching this weekend?

• Options

Bama vs Tennessee
    Arkansas vs Ole Miss
    Wisconsin vs Ohio Tech

• Options

Louisville survives against unranked Duke. Was looking good for Duke after a missed fg in the 4th quarter, but got called on a roughing the kicker penalty that cost them the game.

• Options

NC state kicker receiving death threats after missing 3 field goals against Clemson.

http://thespun.com/acc/nc-state/nc-state-kicker-kyle-bambard-twitter-harassment

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost Badgers...........almost.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    edited October 16, 2016 3:11AM

Victory cigars after the Tennessee game....Roll Tide !! Our QB thanking the offensive line and offensive line coach.

• Options

1. Alabama

2 - #25. Everybody else.

right now, based only on what I have seen, Alabama is playing at a level which is all their own. if the Championship were to be held right now I have no doubt that they would win and win easily, no matter who the opponent is. the only thing being that at some time during the season every Team has a stretch --- for a run of downs, a quarter or two, maybe even a game --- where they slip. my way of thinking has always been that the longer a Team goes without losing, the closer they get to the next loss. it is just too hard to play with the apparent perfection that Alabama has captured right now for too, too long.
    it is fun to watch, though!!

to that end, I can't believe that Clemson and Ohio State survived. the Tigers have won two games where they committed 5 and 4 turnovers, a death sentence for most Teams, yet they found a way to win. the Buckeyes looked out of synch for almost the entire game, it made me think of that MSU loss last year.

it wouldn't surprise me to see Michigan move up to #2 with OSU and Clemson rounding out the top four.

• Options

I don't put much stock into the Tennessee game, they were w/o 7 of their starters. Even though we won, we still have work to do. Texas A & M is next and they have had two weeks to get ready and rested. I think Game Day will be in Tuscaloosa next Saturday, ought to be a war.

OSU beat a very good team. Wisconsin is a few plays away from being undefeated. Their two loses were to some pretty good teams. I'd take an ugly win on the road every week. Michigan and OSU shouldn't lose another game until they play each other. Winner will probably be in the Final 4 if they can beat Wisconsin again in the Big 10 Championship Game.

I'm very tired of so many commercials. In a 15 minute span during the Bama game there were 6 commercials.

• Options

OSU will need to do some work with a silent count because it appeared to me that the Wisconsin LB's were jumping the snap, staying back about five-yards and rushing the line to time the snap. Barrett would pump his hand and that was their tip. then on defense the Buckeyes never seemed to seal the corner when Wisconsin ran the end run, I think they did it about six times and gained good ground every time.

that's not to take anything away from Wisconsin but OSU played flat. they have one game like that every year, it is a blessing that they won this time.

• Options
    AP Top 25.

Alabama all first place votes but 1. (Michigan)

Michigan jumps Clemson

1. Alabama
    2. Ohio State
    3. Michigan
    4. Clemson
    5. Washington
    6. Texas A&M
    7. Louisville
    8. Nebraska
    9. Baylor
    10. Wisconsin
    11. Houston
    12. West Virginia
    13. Florida State
    14. Boise State
    15. Florida
    16. Oklahoma
    17. Arkansas
    18. Tennessee
    19. Utah
    20. Western Michigan
    21. Auburn
    22. North Carolina
    23. Ole Miss
    24. Navy
    25. LSU
  • Options
    I was shocked that Wisconsin put up 450 yards on OSU's D.

mark
  • Options

Mark, if you watched the game it shouldn't have shocked you, but most of it was in the first half and didn't really net them many points. still, I would not want to be a Buckeye player this week or their next opponent, Penn State.

• Options
    I was surprised they moved the ball so freely since they only had 159 yards and 7 first downs the week before. I wouldn't of thought they could get 450 yards against anybody, especially Ohio State. Looking forward to the Nebraska- OSU game. I'm glad OSU won the Wisconsin game.

mark
  • Options

Ole miss being ranked proves that the polls are rigged. I guess those wins over wofford, Georgia, and Memphis are considered quality wins lol.

My current top ten

Ohio state
    Alabama
    Michigan
    Washington
    Texas A&M
    Clemson
    Nebraska
    West Virginia
    Boise state
    Wisconsin

• Options

I guess the same could be said about Wisconsin being ranked #10

Their wins are against LSU, Georgia State, Akron and MSU. Only LSU is now a quality win.

They have "good" losses just like Mississippi.

mark