Home Sports Talk
Options

2016 College Football

Comments

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Jimbo Fisher turned down 6.8 million to LSU job. That's more than Urban Meyer makes at OSU.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

keets there was no reason to reshuffle last week

maybe "positioning" would have been a better word.

the thought came to me yesterday that the four playoff Teams could be Alabama, Clemson, Washington and the winner of the Big 10 Championship game. that means it is entirely possible that a victory by Ohio State over Michigan could knock out the #2 and #3 Teams in the standings!!!

how insane would that be??

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2016 5:35AM

Got the fridge full of cold beer and ordering pizza at noon. Lot of big games today, none bigger than this one.
    I just hope it doesn't rain.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    keets there was no reason to reshuffle last week

maybe "positioning" would have been a better word.

the thought came to me yesterday that the four playoff Teams could be Alabama, Clemson, Washington and the winner of the Big 10 Championship game. that means it is entirely possible that a victory by Ohio State over Michigan could knock out the #2 and #3 Teams in the standings!!!

It would be crazy and it could happen.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

right now in the Cleveland area there is a light rain falling, been raining for about 2-3 days now. the temperature is in the low 40's and it's probably not much different in Columbus.

• Options

It's pretty amazing that Urban Meyer & Jim Harbaugh were born in the same hospital.

The point spread started with OSU by 7. It's now OSU by 4.5. Not sure why it's getting bet down. Depending on Michigans QB situation it could get ugly for Michigan if they can't move the ball. I'm not sure Michigans D can hold up all day.

Here's to a good, clean well officiated game

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I see the committees ranking each week I take it they feel these are the four best teams in the country. If #2 beats #3 or #3 beats #2 (As if that could happen.) and is no longer seen as one of the four best teams that would be a travesty. Go Bucks

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

i am over-joyed that e get "THE GAME" on TV here at work, I can watch!!! I ill only say that if the weather is dry and not too windy that the Buckeyes should win, if it's windy and wet it is a toss-up.

I know you guys won't believe this, but my Step-Daughter is in her first year of Med School at OSU --- she's driving up right now for a belated Thanksgiving Day celebration. God Bless her little heart, she'll be able to get tickets for this game next year!!!

• Options

Looks like Speight is out. Can't see Michigan winning with their #2 conventionally

Michigan will have to make a lot of D and special teams plays to win

mark

• Options

Wow Speight is coming out. The line is down to -3.5

mark

• Options

I miss the traditional OSU helmets : (

Mark

• Options

and here we go with the field position again, two starts inside the 10.

• Options
    edited November 26, 2016 11:42AM

HALFTIME

Great game. That roughing the punter call hurt, without that OSU doesn't score. Also Michigan's kicking game is playing well. #5 for Michigan is a beast.

• Options

Michigan should feel good at the half. despite pinning OSU at the goal for almost the entire game the difference is a missed FG. ironically, the OSU points came when Michigan was starting close to the goal after a punt. the big mistake by the Buckeyes as kicking to Peppers after the score.

the second half should be good.

• Options

so...............Michigan appears to be in control and two simple penalties by the players are multiplied by a Head Coach who cannot control his emotions. suddenly we have a game again.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm biting my tounge on this game.
    It's hard to do.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

@sparky64 said:
    I'm biting my tounge on this game.
    It's hard to do.

Me too.

mark

• Options
    edited November 26, 2016 1:54PM

based only on the play of the Teams in the last quarter I would say advantage Buckeyes in overtime, but it really comes down to the coin flip and the one player who steps up.

fasten your seat belts, fellas, here we go!!!!!

• Options

Curtis Samuel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

Still biting my tongue.

mark

• Options

after being quiet for the entire game, Samuel has three touches in OT and each one seemed more exciting than the one before. on that third down run I think he must have turned four times and ran 50 yards. I think that if Harbaugh and Meyer stick around long enough they ill give us some great games.

this one was a classic no matter who you were rooting for or what conference you support. I can't see either Team hanging their heads or having anything to be ashamed of. what fascinated me is that many of these guys played against each other in High School and will probably play against each other in the pros. lots of talent on the field this afternoon.

• Options

Oh My. Two nitros in overtime. I don't know if I could have survived a third OT. A Classic.

Ralph

• Options

where's everyone at??

kudos to Penn State for their win against MSU. with the way things are now looking it wouldn't surprise me to see OSU locked out of the playoffs but it'll be a tough one to figure for the voters. Ohio State's only loss is against Penn State, but Penn State lost to Michigan while Wisconsin lost to both Ohio State and Michigan. here's how I see everything shaking out for the teams that should be in contention for the playoff.

Alabama
    Ohio State
    Clemson
    Washington
    Penn State
    Michigan
    Wisconsin

• Options
    edited November 26, 2016 10:58PM

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but Michigan has to be the highest ranked two loss team.

Michigan beat Penn St by 40 and has beat 3 teams in the current top ten (Colorado & Wisxonsin). Penn St has beat exactly one. I highly doubt they are ranked higher then Michigan since they both have the same record. Please let them beat Wisconsin first before they jump start jumping Michigan or Ohio State

Mark

• Options
    edited November 27, 2016 4:12AM

Seemed to me and Coach Harbaugh that OSU got some home cooking yesterday. Either that or I need glasses.

So, here is what I think the rankings will be Tuesday night:

1. Alabama
    2. OSU/REFS
    3. Clemson
    4. Washington
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2016 5:08AM

Mark, if you read my other comments from the last two pages you'd understand my reasoning for the order I gave. the Playoff Committee will try to ease their collective conscience while simultaneously placing a bet on Penn State to beat Wisconsin, thus allowing them to have the Big 10 Champion jump into the #4 spot while Ohio State falls to #5.

I also think it is highly likely that Clemson will jump to #2 with OSU at #3.

as for the Referees, I struggle with the calls and non-calls every week and with every game I watch. my takeaway is that they can't see everything and that fans tend to see what affects their particular Team. my father wisely said many, many years ago that "There is holding on every play but they can't call them all." the plays and the calls that Harbaugh went ballistic over yesterday didn't really strike me as being wrong, especially the spot on fourth down that so many objected to. I saw Barrett as initially making the first down with his "forward progress" and didn't think there was any need to review it.

instead of whining, Harbaugh should probably instruct his players not to grab the opponents face-mask, not to line-up or jump offsides and not to give up on a play no matter how hemmed in a ball carrier seems to be. I don't want to paint myself as a prophet, but before the OT started I made mention of the one player who steps up making the difference. that player turned out to be Curtis Samuel.

the Michigan players have nothing to be ashamed of, I can't say the same for Harbaugh. he embarrassed himself and UM while also hurting his Team more than anything the refs did or didn't do.

• Options

If there was ever a year to go to an 8 team playoff this is it. Actually it seems OSU and TTUN just played a quarterfinal match.

Ralph

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@keets said:
    ...means it is entirely possible that a victory by Ohio State over Michigan could knock out the #2 and #3 Teams in the standings!!!

If that were to happen I know at least one person who might have a heart attack.

• Options
    edited November 27, 2016 9:27PM

@keets said:
    Mark, if you read my other comments from the last two pages you'd understand my reasoning for the order I gave. the Playoff Committee will try to ease their collective conscience while simultaneously placing a bet on Penn State to beat Wisconsin, thus allowing them to have the Big 10 Champion jump into the #4 spot while Ohio State falls to #5.

I also think it is highly likely that Clemson will jump to #2 with OSU at #3.

as for the Referees, I struggle with the calls and non-calls every week and with every game I watch. my takeaway is that they can't see everything and that fans tend to see what affects their particular Team. my father wisely said many, many years ago that "There is holding on every play but they can't call them all." the plays and the calls that Harbaugh went ballistic over yesterday didn't really strike me as being wrong, especially the spot on fourth down that so many objected to. I saw Barrett as initially making the first down with his "forward progress" and didn't think there was any need to review it.

instead of whining, Harbaugh should probably instruct his players not to grab the opponents face-mask, not to line-up or jump offsides and not to give up on a play no matter how hemmed in a ball carrier seems to be. I don't want to paint myself as a prophet, but before the OT started I made mention of the one player who steps up making the difference. that player turned out to be Curtis Samuel.

the Michigan players have nothing to be ashamed of, I can't say the same for Harbaugh. he embarrassed himself and UM while also hurting his Team more than anything the refs did or didn't do.

I don't whine or make excuses for my QB or team when it's too rainy or cold like some do for Barnett and OSU. I don't make excuses when our starting QB played the game with a dislocated shoulder. I thought it all guts. I

I wasn't going to bring up the refs I was continuing to bite my tongue but since you brought it up and when out of the way to call out Harbaugh I'll choose to respond once.

Harbaugh had every right to be bitter. Every close call went against Michigan.

Thr penalty you brought up for face masking was a penalty and no one is arguing that. I don't know why you bring it up. It's a non starter.

The penalty assessed to Harbaugh for throwing his clipboard, cards and headset BEHIND him isn't even a penalty in football. When Harbaugh asked for an explanation the ref said it is in basketball! ( the official was a hoops ref) Harbaugh responded this isn't basketball. The Big Ten will be apologizing to Harbaugh for that. Anyways keets that had little effect on the game. Again that was a non starter and had no effect on the game.

That's not what's bothing Michigan Fans, Harbaugh or the a lot of the nation who watched the game. It was Michigan got flagged every single time for close pass Inference and defensive holding calls. OSU State was not on very simiiar calls. That did effect the game. Ohio State was penalized a grand total of 2 times for 6 yards in 4 quarters plus 2 OT.

1) the mark. The call could go either way. However, he never made the line. The isn't a reply that shows him making the line. Barrett was tackled into his own man who slowed him. The ball was is his right arm. I watched at neutral site in Chicago ( sportsbar) the place erupted as no thought he made the line and Michigan had won. Later that night at dinner our waiter brought up the play and his Michigan got hosed. Keets of course in your eyes he made the line to gain. But he didn't.

This was called pass interference on 3 & 16 deep inside OSU territory and Michigan probably wins the game here as there is less then 5 minute and OSU has one time out. The ball is over Samuels head and by him before there is contact. By the letter of the law they could call PI and they did. OSU ended up trying the game on that drive. Ok let's say this is indeed PI and I accept it

So on Michigans second OT on third down this play happens. No less obvious pass interference as the play above. It goes uncalled. So instead of first and goal from the seven. Michigan kicks their field goal. Think that made a difference?

Look at the next two plays. One Michigan is called for Def holding. The other Ohio State is not. Nice tackle

Michigan called for Def holding. hmmmm

Somehow OSU is not flagged for PI or Def holding. It was right in front of the Michigan bench. Not a good sign.

As for Urban Meyer? What is he like 10 years old with the milk stunt? Wow.

So yes It goes into the record books as 30-27 2OT OSU win or 30-27* if one is sinical. A think the players know who won that game on the field

mark

• Options

Gators already talking crap, this is gonna be fun. They always talk though. All I can say is "lets get this party started".

Auburn did have a good kicker.

• Options
    edited November 27, 2016 10:27AM

@larryallen73 said:

@keets said:
    ...means it is entirely possible that a victory by Ohio State over Michigan could knock out the #2 and #3 Teams in the standings!!!

If that were to happen I know at least one person who might have a heart attack.

I hope OSU gets in..... :D

• Options

Mark, just to be clear, I was bringing up the referees in response to what bullsitter had said just above my post. also, if you want to call them excuses, so be it, but as far as Barrettt and the wind/rain all I was doing was offering an explanation for why they played poorly. ditto for the fact that the Team is hindered when they are backed up at the goal line, it seems to affect the way Meyer and the OC call plays to the detriment of the Team.

I am not making excuses, only stating my explanation for why they played poorly in several games this year and in the past.

one thing is clear, though, you seem ever so willing to pile on my comments from simple misunderstanding. that's puzzling to me. perhaps it would help if you used the PM function when you're confused.

BTW --- sinical is probably spelled cynical unless you want to be saying that some of the calls were sinful. whatever it is, chill out dude, I ain't your enemy.

• Options

@keets said:
    Mark, just to be clear, I was bringing up the referees in response to what bullsitter had said just above my post. also, if you want to call them excuses, so be it, but as far as Barrettt and the wind/rain all I was doing was offering an explanation for why they played poorly. ditto for the fact that the Team is hindered when they are backed up at the goal line, it seems to affect the way Meyer and the OC call plays to the detriment of the Team.

I am not making excuses, only stating my explanation for why they played poorly in several games this year and in the past.

one thing is clear, though, you seem ever so willing to pile on my comments from simple misunderstanding. that's puzzling to me. perhaps it would help if you used the PM function when you're confused.

BTW --- sinical is probably spelled cynical unless you want to be saying that some of the calls were sinful. whatever it is, chill out dude, I ain't your enemy.

That was an autocorrect. I couldn't catch it in time as I was posting my reponse as my plane was taking off. It was indeed meant to be cynical. We are all good keets. I see you as a friend not an enemy. Sorry If I seem to jump on you. You just happen to post a lot like me.

That game hurt especially because I sincerely think and that a lot people would agree that the way Michigan plays would give Alabama the best game. That is the game people wanted to see. Me included.

Mark

• Options

Michigan has a stout defense to be sure. these games going forward will be interesting as the rivalry between the Head Coaches develops, but how long till we have one where the two Teams' players are matched better?? Ohio State is underclass heavy and Michigan is graduating a lot this year. add to that the fact that Harbaugh is only playing his second recruiting class. I think it sets up another really classic game in two years when the senior class for both Teams should be really good.

• Options

Washington favored by 6 over Colorado.
    Clemson favored by 9 over Va. Tech.
    Wisconsin favored by 2 over PSU
    Alabama favored by 21 over Gators.

What, no Big 12 Championship Game? Everybody else has to play an extra game, why not them? C'mon Big 12.

• Options

Commonman, I marvel at your technological skills in posting the pertinent clips of the game. The most important is definitely the first and I see it as a no brainer that Barrett made the first down. The ball in his right arm is past mid way of the yellow line. The PI Coach Harbaugh was so upset about was a good call as the announcers said. The defender has his right arm around Samuels before the ball arrives and uses his right arm on Samuels as leverage to jump and swat the ball. The next clip showing PI that could have been called on OSU is correct. That should have been called. The two examples of holding do show a penalty could have been called on the Buckeyes. The holding by the player from the North was much more egregious and absolutely needed to be called. As far as being a good opponent for Alabama neither the Wolverines or Buckeyes are on that level this year.

Ralph

• Options

well, the Coaches/AP Polls are up and they all have Wisconsin ahead of Penn State which surprises me. other than that it seems set for the Championship games next weekend.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am I correct in assuming the the likely outcome for Colorado is that win or lose in the PACIFIC 12 championship game it will play in the Rose Bowl?

If Washington wins it should get into the 4 team playoffs and Colorado would play in the Rose Bowl.

If Colorado wins it likely would not get into the playoffs and it would play in the Rose Bowl.

Either way, seeing Colorado play in the Rose Bowl would be weird. Of course I still find it strange to see Colorado in the Pacific 12.

• Options

All the Michigan fans and the Ohio State haters to no surprise are going to blame the refs, because they are desperate for a Buckeyes loss against Michigan. Michigan NEVER wins that game anymore.

In reality, Ohio state outplayed Michigan in both the 2nd half and overtime. Buckeyes had 7 more first downs and rushed for over 200 yds. If not for the 2 easy missed field goals, they would've won in regulation by 6 points. In overtime, the Michigan defense could not stop Curtis Samuel. He made 3 big plays in OT.

• Options

AP Top 25

1. Alabama
    2. Ohio State
    3. Clemson
    4. Washington
    5. Michigan
    6. Wisconsin
    7. Oklahoma
    8. Penn State
    9. Colorado
    10. USC
    11. Oklahoma State
    12. Florida State
    13. Western Michigan
    14. West Virginia
    15. Florida
    16. Louisville
    17. Stanford
    18. Auburn
    19. Virginia Tech
    20. Navy
    21. LSU
    22. Iowa
    23. Nebraska
    24. South Florida
    25. Pittsburgh
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2016 3:48PM

@garnettstyle said:
    All the Michigan fans and the Ohio State haters to no surprise are going to blame the refs, because they are desperate for a Buckeyes loss against Michigan. Michigan NEVER wins that game anymore.

In reality, Ohio state outplayed Michigan in both the 2nd half and overtime. Buckeyes had 7 more first downs and rushed for over 200 yds. If not for the 2 easy missed field goals, they would've won in regulation by 6 points. In overtime, the Michigan defense could not stop Curtis Samuel. He made 3 big plays in OT.

If you take out all Michigan fans and Ohio State haters you only have Ohio State fans left so why would you be surprised?

We know we know blaming the refs is something we normally reserve for you. But, when it's so one sided like Saturday one has to take notice. I thought even you. I was wrong.

I thought Mike Greenberg from ESPN had the most fitting tweet:

"Ohio State resume is second to none. They deserve to make the final four. But they weren't the better team today. #OSUUM

I'll have to live with that.

garnettstyle you live in a different reality then most of us. That's ok. It takes all kinds.

mark

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    Am I correct in assuming the the likely outcome for Colorado is that win or lose in the PACIFIC 12 championship game it will play in the Rose Bowl?

If Washington wins it should get into the 4 team playoffs and Colorado would play in the Rose Bowl.

If Colorado wins it likely would not get into the playoffs and it would play in the Rose Bowl.

Either way, seeing Colorado play in the Rose Bowl would be weird. Of course I still find it strange to see Colorado in the Pacific 12.

I think the Rose Bowl picks the top rated PAC 12 team that doesn't get in the playoff.

Likely scenario if Washington beats Colorado they get into the playoff and USC would get the Rose Bowl.

If Colorado beats Washington and doesn't make the playoffs it would go to the Rose Bowl.

If two Big Ten teams make the playoffs Michigan would likely be the opponent. If only one Big Ten team makes the playoffs the left out team ( Big Ten Champ or OSU) would get the Big Ten nod

mark

• Options
    edited November 27, 2016 3:53PM

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

If you take out all Michigan fans and Ohio State haters you only have Ohio State fans left so why would you be surprised?

We know we know blaming the refs is something we normally reserve for you. But, when it's so one sided like Saturday one has to take notice. I thought even you. I was wrong.

"Ohio State resume is second to none. They deserve to make the final four. But they weren't the better team today. #OSUUM

garnettstyle you live in a different reality then most of us. That's ok. It takes all kinds.

mark

Maybe next year

• Options

Ohio State–Michigan Scores Massive 10.4 Overnight Rating, the Most-Watched College Football Game This Season

Ohio State and Michigan played a classic game Saturday in the 113th version of this storied college football rivalry.

Turns out, a lot of people watched it.

There was a record-setting crowd of 110,045 in attendance and according to ESPN PR, the Buckeyes' 30-27 double-overtime victory over the Wolverines scored a massive 10.4 overnight rating. That is the highest-rated regular game of the 2016 season and, according to ESPN's Josh Krulewitz, is the second-best regular season rating on record for ABC, trailing only the 2006 Ohio State–Michigan game. That contest earned an 11.5 overnight rating.

The overnight viewership was up 53 percent from last year's Ohio State–Michigan game, according to ESPN. The peak audience rated a 12.7 — between 3:30 and 4 p.m. — as the Buckeyes and Wolverines went into overtime.

Prior to Saturday, the most-watched college football game of the regular season was Notre Dame–Texas way back on opening weekend. That game scored a 7.0 overnight rating.

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@Justacommeman said:

@garnettstyle said:

mark

Maybe next year

Absolutely.

• Options
    edited November 27, 2016 4:14PM
  • Options

No. The rest of the world sees the second picture. Remove the yellow line which is unofficial and is actually in front of the 15 yard line. He never makes the 15 where he needed to get. The ball is tucked in his right arm and not on his helmet. His helmet certainly made a first down.

It's ok that's a 50/50 mark and I have no problem with it whats so ever. After what was witnessed throughout the game no way Michigan was going to get that call.

Enjoy the win*

OSU played hard

mark

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

Michigan should have beat Iowa and then the Ohio State game wouldn't matter.

• Options
    edited November 27, 2016 9:03PM

@larryallen73 said:
    Michigan should have beat Iowa and then the Ohio State game wouldn't matter.

Yiou always want to beat them just the same.

Actually if Michigan would have beat Iowa and lost to OSU the following would have happened.

Michigan 8-1
    OSU 8-1
    Penn State 8-1

Ohio would have won a three team tiebreaker in the fourth tie breaker
    and gone to the Championship Game at 11-1. Michigan would have been 11-1 as well and probably would be in but they wouldn't have played in the Big Ten Championship Game and would still be watchjng and waiting

If UCLA was 9- 0 and was upset by Cal @ Berkeley wouldn't you still want to beat a 10-1 USC regardless whether it mattered or not.

mark

• Options

The only way that is not a first down is the ball is in his hip pocket. Refs got it right. It is also correct the Buckeyes were outplayed for three quarters. Anticipation is already building for next year.

Ralph