Home U.S. Coin Forum

2015 High Relief Gold Coin/Silver Medal (UH8 & UH9)

Comments

• goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 624 ✭✭✭
    I'll wait to see it, but I've always hated the wreath.

How about flowing hair.

When did Liberty become a dude ?

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's a BS Picture he is using.

See the REF1 and the REF2 - USM03408463?

That is 200 Units BEFORE anyone who purchased at noon.

Still, He will get someone to bite.. >>

Ummm....not going to agree/disagree whether it is BS or not, as it isn't me doing it, but, it isn't 200 units before. 100 AFTER at least 1, or 2, that I know of.

Trust me, I know this image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like my sept 1 back order shipped. Will confirm when I have time to check.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like my sept 1 back order shipped. Will confirm when I have time to check. >>

Mint showing available ..back order ?
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just went to the website and signed in and checked purchases and all three orders show as "PROCESSING."

Signed out, and went back to the website and clicked on "CHECK ORDER" and went to the bottom of the page where you enter the order number and email address WITHOUT SIGNING IN and it showed them as "SHIPPED" with tracking numbers.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got an e-mail from the mint letting me know that my order has shipped.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like my sept 1 back order shipped. Will confirm when I have time to check. >>

Oh, this'll be good.

If confirmed, how many people who ordered and were going to cancel if things turned south will get burned?

It's going to take a least a few weeks to recredit the CC's, even after it gets back to the Mint and acknowledged...

(Where's that eating popcorn smiley...)
  • Mine placed around 12:05 with economy shipping got shipped too...
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

$25 for the special First Strike or $18 for the standard First Strike?

I say standard for me.......why would anyone spend another $7 for artwork?

To me, the standard PCGS FS label is recognized and tried and true.

What are your thoughts?

edited to add: PCGS Link
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    double post
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    from CoinNews.net

I knew it would happen.
    Wow, nicer than I thought. Looks uhr in the pics.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Love the reverse!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
    The relief is much higher than I anticipated. I was expecting something like the 1921 Peace dollar.

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>from CoinNews.net

image >>

another from coinnews.net

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it
    Thanks for posting the closer up pics.
    Much higher relief than I thought.
    Really like the reverse.
    Really wish they had chosen a better obverse. Liberty's face is awful.. The obverse could have been a LOT better. There were far better choices as I recall.
    I like the obverse design a lot. The reverse design is okay but the wing feathers look ruffled and misaligned to me.

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the Eagle. Liberty leaves a lot to be desired. She looks scary imho.

<< <i>Love the Eagle. Liberty leaves a lot to be desired. She looks scary imho. >>

100% agree. Such a bummer.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't like it? If you ordered one, then you can return it. I am sure there will be another buyer thrilled to have it.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    Thanks for sharing the pics.
    Very nice coin, the high relief is better than expected.
    Glad I bought it, it will make the pair with the UHR (still my favorite).
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
    Liberty is one ugly dude.

Nice looking coin .. the Mint has taken most of the premium in the coin for now ... no fear.. nice rally into end of year for Gold $1350 - $1400

anyone seen presales for PCGS 70s ?

<< <i>Liberty is one ugly dude. >>

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Morgan dollars and the Barber coins? Now Liberty on those coins look like dudes.image

Such a shame, such wasted potential w/respect to the obverse.

Imagine how amazing that this coin could have been with some of these obverses such as the allegorical ones and some of the others.

It is just incomprehensible to me that of all of the obverse designs in the link that the one on the coin was judged to be best. Some of the proposed designs were truly fantastic. To think of what could have been...
  • veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    I'm curious about buyer motivation for this piece.
    The 2009 UHR had a clear-cut goal; to successfully reproduce an ultra-rare classic coin on everyone's want list.

I like this new UHR coin, but I don't love it. It's also very expensive. I realize it's not always easy to put certain feelings into words. Maybe it comes down to, "I can't say exactly why, but there's something special about it, something that moves me."

Is it the high-relief angle, a must-have for collectors of modern gold mint products, the depiction of Liberty as a non-Caucasian or multi-racial female, investment potential, aesthetically pleasing?

<< <i>I'm curious about buyer motivation for this piece.
    The 2009 UHR had a clear-cut goal; to successfully reproduce an ultra-rare classic coin on everyone's want list.

I like this new UHR coin, but I don't love it. It's also very expensive. I realize it's not always easy to put certain feelings into words. Maybe it comes down to, "I can't say exactly why, but there's something special about it, something that moves me."

Is it the high-relief angle, a must-have for collectors of modern gold mint products, the depiction of Liberty as a non-Caucasian or multi-racial female, investment potential, aesthetically pleasing? >>

I don't like the obverse, I like the reverse and its higher relief than I anticipated. I also like the unique denomination for a gold coin.
    I really don't even want it that much. However, I feel that my moderns collection would have a real gap w/o this coin.
    I ordered several on the possibility that it could be a good investment to sell later to finance coins which I really want. Should this possibility look unlikely I'll keep only one.
    I thought that it was a very cool idea when first introduced. I assumed that the reason was to produce an artistically magnificent high relief coin. Sadly, it seems that to the obverse was chosen primarily to be PC over some really artistically amazing designs. This is such a bummer. This could have been a truly magnificent coin.
    Kind of looks like its head is on fire. I mean what's going on there.

The only reason this design will be iconic is because it will never be used again. Lets get a real artist in here.

• JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    When I look at this coin, I see a larger version of a $5 gold commemorative struck between 1986 and 1992 or so....

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭
    It is a nice coin from the pics. I wonder if there will be any proof like versions?

<< <i>It is a nice coin from the pics. I wonder if there will be any proof like versions? >>

Who will find the Proof likes ?

<< <i>It is a nice coin from the pics. I wonder if there will be any proof like versions? >>

I also like it unlike some of the forum art critics.image

<< <i>

I also like it unlike some of the forum art critics.image >>

To each his or her own. Art is totally subjective of course. Most everyone seems to like the reverse save for one or two comments about the feathers looking like scales. It's the obverse which far more people, myself included, don't like.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I want one I'll buy it later at a discount like the other UHR..... image

Hoard the keys.
  • OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If I want one I'll buy it later at a discount like the other UHR..... image >>

Where can I buy the other UHR at a discount?
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
    My motivations for buying:

* $100 denomination
    * UHR strike
    * gold spot is down
    * excellent eagle design
    * limited mintage
    * .9999 pure
    * I believe the mint chose the best obverse design of those proposed
    Curious, any guesses as to if/when it will sell out?

If there were about 15k left as of Friday I would guess this week.

Of course there could b a lot of returns/CC problems resulting in its coming back a few times as w the RP Truman.
    I'll have to have the actual coin in-hand before I decide whether or not I like it, and know the reasons why or why not. Judging from the general commentary here, it may not sell out even after a quick 36,000 first day turnaround. I'm pretty sure I'll like the coin, but that could change if the obverse doesn't sit well with me. I'll have to see it.

They didn't choose my design preference, which bummed me out at first. The premium is in-line with all the Mint's "collector" issues, so that's not really out of the ordinary for the Mint. In my opinion the biggest variable as to price appreciation right now is the direction of the gold market. It's no longer like the good old days when the gold market could bail you out on a questionable purchase of Mint gold.

The flip side of all this negativism is the possibility that 50,000 is a sweet spot for a one-off HR coin and that the big dealers will probably attempt to promote it heavily enough to generate a shortage, resulting in a secondary feeding frenzy. Win, lose or draw - this will be an interesting study in market dynamics.

The closest comparison to this coin is the classic 2009-W UHR design at 109,000 pieces and a rising gold market at the time. These are a sufficiently different set of variables so as to suggest that we won't know how this coin will track until some time elapses. My own opinion - I expect that this HR coin will do about as well as any given year's 1 oz. Proof Gold Eagle. Maybe a hair better.

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>The closest comparison to this coin is the classic 2009-W UHR design at 109,000 pieces....... >>

The 2009 UHR actually had a mintage of about 115K which is more than double the 50K for the 2015 HR Liberty. Even though both coins have the same gold content, the 2015 coin has a larger diameter which I find appealing.

• ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The closest comparison to this coin is the classic 2009-W UHR design at 109,000 pieces....... >>

The 2009 UHR actually had a mintage of about 115K which is more than double the 50K for the 2015 HR Liberty. Even though both coins have the same gold content, the 2015 coin has a larger diameter which I find appealing. >>

Isn't there some question about the 7,000-odd they melted of the UHR whether the 115,000 includes the 7,000 or not? But either way, it's 108k/115k mintage vs. 50k mintage.

Even though I am a big 2009 UHR supporter (I love the design - probably my favorite modern issue), I think the 50k mintage of this coin (and I'm liking the design more and more - can't wait to see the actual coin tomorrow) should ensure it's going to have legs - and people will want it in 2 months, 6 months and years to come, like the 2009 issue.

I like that it's $100 as well.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My motivations for buying:

* $100 denomination
    * UHR strike
    * gold spot is down
    * excellent eagle design
    * limited mintage
    * .9999 pure
    * I believe the mint chose the best obverse design of those proposed >>

I agree with all this - although it's only a HR, not UHR I think.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • AberlightAberlight Posts: 384 ✭✭

<< <i>When I look at this coin, I see a larger version of a $5 gold commemorative struck between 1986 and 1992 or so.... >>

I agree. To much of a olymic commemorative. Not as ugly as Bruce Jenner with a torch but close. I ordered one under leas than better judgement and have never been more happy to cancel my order.

<< <i>

<< <i>If I want one I'll buy it later at a discount like the other UHR..... image >>

Where can I buy the other UHR at a discount? >>

Discount? Heck, I'm willing to buy at full issue price. image

<< <i>

<< <i>My motivations for buying:

* $100 denomination
    * UHR strike
    * gold spot is down
    * excellent eagle design
    * limited mintage
    * .9999 pure
    * I believe the mint chose the best obverse design of those proposed >>

I agree with all this - although it's only a HR, not UHR I think.

- Ian >>

you are correct. it's HR, not UHR. that was a typo on my part.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>* I believe the mint chose the best obverse design of those proposed >> >>

Srsly. This one is one of the proposed designed, granted, it's a tough choice, should have been executed.

Goofy Wings on a half naked Liberty.

Not any worse than what we got.

edit - 2015 should have been Liberty w/out the wings. The wings thing appears to be an afterthought / mandate?

edit edit - let me restate this - take the wings off this obverse design combined with the horizontal eagle in flight on the reverse and a MASSIVE sellout / aftermarket will ensue.

MHO.
    My issue is the lack of hair, which they tried to make up for by adding a wreath. Get rid if the wreath and add hair, down to shoulders, at least.

I think this design is not iconic as let's say Augustus Saint-Gaudens.

It's fine as a one off, but I really hope this is not our new liberty.
    2015 should have been Liberty w/out the wings. The wings thing appears to be an afterthought / mandate?

edit edit - let me restate this - take the wings off this obverse design combined with the horizontal eagle in flight on the reverse and a MASSIVE sellout / aftermarket will ensue.

MHO.

I agree with you 100%.

I knew it would happen.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Page 21! image

PCGS ad is on the bay's homepage now:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file