Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2015 High Relief Gold Coin/Silver Medal (UH8 & UH9)

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,510 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I remember reading they moved the pole from under the "We"

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Some 100% crops of the heavy die polishing lines.

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    501! image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    So

Anyone with new sales numbers as of any time Tuesday?

It's taking longer than I expected

I figured they wouldn't last the weekend.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure they repositioned the flagpole. Think they just moved WE TRUST over.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I think they did both

The place where the bottom of the flag intersects he legs is higher. Check where the ties are hanging down from the waist. In one, they hang below the flag, the other the flag hangs lower

The flames are a tiny bit different, too.

Then there is a tweak to the right index finger?

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 758 ✭✭✭
    Regarding LucyBob coin.... what is your grade for the coin. Your opinion is appreciated.
  • Options

<< <i>Regarding LucyBob coin.... what is your grade for the coin. Your opinion is appreciated. >>

the coin in hand looks good, hard to find a flaw other then the heavy die polish lines..... Now there lies the issue.... In my experience with Franklins that have some die polish lines, if they were non-distracting they tended to not hurt the grade, as long as the PCGs grader
    didn't confuse polish lines with hair line scratches.

These hairlines are seen by the naked eye but are not as bad as what my camera's sensor/high resolution images are seeing. I don't know how PCG's feels about die polish lines on Bullion coins.

I think my specimen is MS69, if PCGs doesn't like the polish lines then in their eyes that grade will plummet.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    .......................... double post
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    I was wondering if its not polished die.... could it be someone just using their thumb (with dirty gloves) Putting the coin in the capsule? Seems like the obverse is worse. Isnt 24k that soft?
  • Options

<< <i>I was wondering if its not polished die.... could it be someone just using their thumb (with dirty gloves) Putting the coin in the capsule? Seems like the obverse is worse. Isnt 24k that soft? >>

Yes 24k Is that soft, you can bend it, drop the coin and it will dent. Don't ask me how I know this...sigh...

The lines are in the fields and not the devices, a characteristic of Die Polishing....

If it was mishandling by a Mint worker, the devices would have scratches..... Also, die polish lines are raised, scratches are cut/scratched into the metal.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Options
    Thank you. I see near 70 on the reverse near 68 on the obverse. So I guess its a 69... in my eyes.
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    The portrait of Liberty looks absolutely nothing like the drawing.
    Similarly, if you recall, the Sacagawea $1 coin drawing was very attractive, but the finished product was very different. I almost wish that we never see the preliminary designs, but rather, be surprised by the final productions.
    I realize that sculptural reliefs cannot be accurately conveyed in drawings, but this New Liberty portrait truly exemplifies an extreme "before and after."

With that said, the high relief technology makes a mediocre concept look very nice. I like this coin, but cannot afford it, because I need to save up for the 2016 gold reissues.
  • Options
    at these levels, die polish has no affect on the grade.

I had some silver roosies graded and none pulled a plus. I think it was due to the heavy die polish both sides.

yours has similar die polish to a 2009 UHR I once had. it pulled a 70.

And eventually, people found PL examples of the 09 UHR.

I wonder if these will have similar issues as the 09 UHR - grease struck into the coin... particularly around the rim area.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think they did both

The place where the bottom of the flag intersects he legs is higher. Check where the ties are hanging down from the waist. In one, they hang below the flag, the other the flag hangs lower

The flames are a tiny bit different, too.

Then there is a tweak to the right index finger? >>

Just to a direct compare....

Line art 100% opacity:

Line art 50% opacity:

Line art 33% opacity:

Line art 0% opacity:
  • Options
    Those sequence looks like she's got bread in the oven. Its all good.... just sayn.
  • Options
    2015 HR American Liberty vs. 2013 RP Buffalo:

...........2015 HR....2013 RP Buff
    Day 1.....36,686.......21,009
    Day 3.....41,930.......24,883
    Day 10.........n/a.......32,676
    Day 17.........n/a.......37,314
    Day 25.........n/a.......42,795

It took 24-25 days for the RP Buff to sell as many as the 2015 HR did in 3...

If sales decay for the 2015 HR at the same rate as the 2013 Buffalo, we're looking at a sell out before 14 days, quite possibly 11-12 days. (Numbers are highly speculative. It's all a guess based on the HR's two data points, hardly reliable.)
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    MCM has the 70s at $1k over melt.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>2015 HR American Liberty vs. 2013 RP Buffalo:

...........2015 HR....2013 RP Buff
    Day 1.....36,686.......21,009
    Day 3.....41,930.......24,883
    Day 10.........n/a.......32,676
    Day 17.........n/a.......37,314
    Day 25.........n/a.......42,795

It took 24-25 days for the RP Buff to sell as many as the 2015 HR did in 3...

If sales decay for the 2015 HR at the same rate as the 2013 Buffalo, we're looking at a sell out before 14 days, quite possibly 11-12 days. (Numbers are highly speculative. It's all a guess based on the HR's two data points, hardly reliable.) >>

Very interesting data, thank you.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    @Backroad Junkie...very interesting, and thanks.

What were you using as your common alignment point, if anything? I notice that the R's of Liberty line up. What would happen if you aligned, say, her two eyes in the two images?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this coin is quite lovely in hand, and I agree that the relief is very, very high. Mine (for my collection as are all my purchases from mint - as opposed to flipping) has no significant flaws other that perhaps only the very slightest color variation in the alloy at the surface that I only think I can pick up at some angles under various lighting. Whether it is 69 or 70 would be immaterial as it is not a "flipper", and points AGAIN to me the ridiculousness of the craziness over 69 vs. 70 and PL vs. non-PL.

Could they have done better at the mint? Do doubt, but this was overall IMO a fine effort and not deserving of the [occasionally intense] criticism.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

<< <i>@Backroad Junkie...very interesting, and thanks.

What were you using as your common alignment point, if anything? I notice that the R's of Liberty line up. What would happen if you aligned, say, her two eyes in the two images? >>

I just did a same size fit. Made sure "LIBERTY" and IGWT had the same curvatures, and fit inside one another.

I went back in and manipulated the high-rez images, sized and slightly rotated to fit. This time, using your suggestion, aligned the face and only shrunk it to 800px.

The most apparent change, is Liberty put on some weight. HAhahahaha...

100% line art opacity:

50% line art opacity:

33% line art opacity:

0% line art opacity:
  • Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭
    BackroadJunkie

That is "Out of the Park" Posting!!!

Thanks!
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A gold analyist's prediction :

"Should Friday’s non-farm payroll miss expectations, it could be the break gold is waiting for, said one senior market strategist. “It is going to be huge,” said Bill Baruch, senior strategist at Chicago-based iiTrader, in regards to the potential impact on gold. “Our line in the sand is 200,000 jobs created, the expectation is 223,000 –- so you want to see a better number than that for the dollar to excel. If we miss that, look for gold to get out above $1,100 an ounce and hit the $1,300 area as shorts look to start covering,” he told Kitco News"

With gold at $ 1,300 the mint price would go to $ 1,740 or a $250 increase so I say to you. "DO YOU FEEL LUCKY"

Edited to say the audio version says $ 1,135 while the printed version above says $ 1,300 so believe none of what you hear and little of what you see or versa vice.

and always remember " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over."
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great Photoshop skills there BackroadJunkie

• Options
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    @Backroad...thanks again. I think that shows that there wasn't much of a change in the figure, other than the flagpole, just the lettering.
  • Options
    rajaraja Posts: 65 ✭✭
    @Backroad
    Very nice comparison. The changes are startling but probably reasonable to expect, as I suspect that the
    diagram to die transfer is more human than machine.
    thanks for a great job
    raja
    Colonials and Post-Colonials
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>@Backroad
    Very nice comparison. The changes are startling but probably reasonable to expect, as I suspect that the
    diagram to die transfer is more human than machine.
    thanks for a great job
    raja >>

Also the conversion from line drawing to actual 3D hub has to involve adaptations that are necessary

• Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    So I just examined 10 coins. All of them show noticeable die polish under 4X (and I am about a +1 for reading glasses - so figure 3X for you youngsters). Most of them show heavier polish lines to the left of the eagle's head, and may also show some disturbance in the obverse "Y".

One coin hit a hit on her breast, and another had a small pit above the eagle.

But overall, a pleasing design.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My order was supposed to be on backorder until October, but I received my coin today.

I placed the order on the night of July 30.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    The number of dealers flipping large amounts for small profits are really reducing the value of these IMO.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The number of dealers flipping large amounts for small profits are really reducing the value of these IMO. >>

Quote of the year.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first one arrived today. I really like the design, especially the eagle, but...there is heavy die polish on the reverse fields, so much so that when looking head-on it looks dull. There is also about a 30 degree arc of the rim that is not fully struck like the rest, almost appearing pitted. This one will probably go back or I may sell it raw depending on whether they sell out soon (and the price starts to rise).

I've got a second one coming Friday. Hopefully it is a little better. Is everyone seeing the heavy die polish? Or is it just the later orders?
  • Options

<< <i>Great Photoshop skills there BackroadJunkie >>

Thanks. (And to everyone else, too.) Almost 20 years now. (ugh.) I started with Photoshop 4, which according to wiki was released in 1996. (ugh, again.)

Image manipulation is second nature to me, but coins are a relatively new area for me. Working with perfectly round subjects sucks. image (I'm mostly a landscape guy, so the only reason I've taken coin pics is to post 'em here. HAhahahaaha...)
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is everyone seeing the heavy die polish? Or is it just the later orders? >>

Sounds like its all the early orders.

Has anyone that placed an order after day 1 received their coin yet?
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options

<< <i>My first one arrived today. I really like the design, especially the eagle, but...there is heavy die polish on the reverse fields, so much so that when looking head-on it looks dull. There is also about a 30 degree arc of the rim that is not fully struck like the rest, almost appearing pitted. This one will probably go back or I may sell it raw depending on whether they sell out soon (and the price starts to rise).

I've got a second one coming Friday. Hopefully it is a little better. Is everyone seeing the heavy die polish? Or is it just the later orders? >>

Not on mine. At least not as bad as those steel wool polished coins.

After reviewing the high-res images I took from two different light angles, every mark on the images wasn't on the coin (probably on the capsule.)

So I sent it in ATS. sigh. I wasn't going to do that, but the coin told me to send it in... (Yes, Liberty looked me straight in the eye and said, "Grade me." I hate it when that happens...)
  • Options
    Coinworld reporting sales of 42,167 through Tuesday. Also the usmint not planning to sell any at Rosemont ANA. I suppose they feel there wont be any left by Aug 11th. Not very impressive sales Monday & Tuesday.
  • Options
    ordered within first 5 minutes.

Delivered today in California.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Coinworld reporting sales of 42,167 through Tuesday. Also the usmint not planning to sell any at Rosemont ANA. I suppose they feel there wont be any left by Aug 11th. Not very impressive sales Monday & Tuesday. >>

Wow. Talk about slowing sales.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No visible hairlines/polish lines on mine on close examination, obverse or reverse. Very nice coin with no defects...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The number of dealers flipping large amounts for small profits are really reducing the value of these IMO. >>

It is not dealers who are reducing the value as much that collectors are not paying more and therefor there is no need for the price to be higher.

Prices rise when there is major demand. For the last week there has not been tremendous demand and therefor no skyrocketing of prices.

Perhaps the mint issue price ($400 over spot) was too high over melt which reduced its appeal to collectors who have been getting hit hard with gold lately.

If not for the "flipping dealers" the prices would probably be lower.

Lets check back in 3 weeks and see where things are.

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A gold analyist's prediction :

"Should Friday’s non-farm payroll miss expectations, it could be the break gold is waiting for, said one senior market strategist. “It is going to be huge,” said Bill Baruch, senior strategist at Chicago-based iiTrader, in regards to the potential impact on gold. “Our line in the sand is 200,000 jobs created, the expectation is 223,000 –- so you want to see a better number than that for the dollar to excel. If we miss that, look for gold to get out above $1,100 an ounce and hit the $1,300 area as shorts look to start covering,” he told Kitco News"

With gold at $ 1,300 the mint price would go to $ 1,740 or a $250 increase so I say to you. "DO YOU FEEL LUCKY"

Edited to say the audio version says $ 1,135 while the printed version above says $ 1,300 so believe none of what you hear and little of what you see or versa vice.

and always remember " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over."[/q

These traders must be long ...hopefully for a $120 rally to cut their loss.. lol ....what nonsense.... no wonder the little guy in commodities is only 10 - 12 % of the market

The liberty is a loser, until later this year..... Gold will be at 1300-1400
  • Options
    Looks like the next HSN coin shows are Saturday Aug. 8 at 2:00AM ET and 8:00PM & 9:00PM ET

We will see what the overpaying tv public demand is.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like the next HSN coin shows are Saturday Aug. 8 at 2:00AM ET and 8:00PM & 9:00PM ET

We will see what the overpaying tv public demand is.
    image >>

A pretty coin... saw one in the coin shop.today...... never fear Gold will rise to get buyers of The Liberty in the black...looking for a Gold bottom soon .. Gold has a seasonal bottom in August

Coin show will be hawking ANACS 69s . 70s
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>ordered within first 5 minutes.

Delivered today in California. >>

I got mine on Monday, send them to PCGS on Tuesday and they logged it in on Wednesday.

It's Thursday so where are my grades???
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not seeing Jolie on the actual coin, looks rather like Sacajawea's cousin.

BTW, my 2 ordered in first few minutes show no die polish.
  • Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    Thought I would add my experience. I bought one in the first minute, it arrived Tuesday, no real die polish issues, but annoying scrapes on the reverse rim about 10 o'clock. Oh well, I knew I had another one coming....

Bought the second one on day two, originally had Sept 1 backorder date, but it arrived yesterday (I guess due to all the cancels from the first day?) It had pretty bad die polish on the front, but the back was really nice and almost proof like, but then I saw a rim ding about 4 o'clock.

Am returning both today. Neither of mine would pull a 70, and I don't see anything but downside on raw or 69's with these.

And maybe there are better versions than the ones I got out there, but I just didn't like the coin in -hand. I have couple of the 2009 UHRs, one in 70 and the other PL69, and those are the coins I am proud to show people, this coin didn't grab me at all in hand.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing that turned me off was the price $400 over spot was just to much over with gold going down. I passed and will buy them in the after market for less then the mint price once weak hands need to let them go. With any mintage that is over 30K will be plenty to go around most ordering are flippers and TV sales man looking for the fast buck, I do it my self but it will bite you in the back side some times if you don't get in and out fast, most will go back to the mint after they don't rec the 70 grade that's the way the game is played, Good luck to all. image

Hoard the keys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file