Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2015 High Relief Gold Coin/Silver Medal (UH8 & UH9)

Comments

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Not a good sign if these have not sold out yet. Probably more dealers than collectors purchasing this coin. From the comments on this thread, it seems quality control is lacking because the mint seems to be rushing these through treating it more like bullion than a quality one off coin, hence the cheap packaging.

I still think the mint should have used a classic design over this design because it just becomes an oversized modern gold comm. Although its a nice coin, this coin reminds me of the the star spangled banner commemorative which has more energy than this stoic and stiff high relief liberty.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quality control very poor given premium to spot.
    I think that the very poor obverse design really hurts this coin. Such a cryin shame that they didn't use one of the several amazing designs which were considered.
    Higher relief in hand that I had expected. Fantastic reverse.
    Die polish generally not as bad in hand as I had expected based on pics.
    Rim finish issues and dings, esp on the reverse were an unpleasant surprise.
    Only two of my eight were really nice quality wise.
    As I noted earlier one actually had white haze on about 5% of the obverse and another serious finish flaws - ares of relative mirroring - on the obverse. This being in addition to the rim issues.
    I don't see these doing near as well as the far nicer - but too small in diameter - UHR.
    In the end I think that the absurd PC obverse killed this one.
    With a tighter quality control and a different obverse this coin could have been truly amazing. SUCH wasted potential.
    As my wife, who is not at all into numismatics, said when I showed her the coin along with all of the obverse designs which were considered: "Why did the Mint have to screw up this coin by being PC? Why not just make it beautiful?". I think that that about sums it up.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS populations are very interesting. Of 155 posted so far 121 are MS70. Very high number of 70's.
    I am sure we will see a number of PL's in the near future. large concentrations of 70 coins ?
    large concentrations of poor quality coins? does this ring a bell? same stuff different coin?image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I called the Mint today to return my gold liberty and they said they would send a pre-addressed, prepaid label.

Nice touch.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

<< <i>I called the Mint today to return my gold liberty and they said they would send a pre-addressed, prepaid label.

Nice touch. >>

Wow!!! Didn't know that they did that. Live and learn. Thanks for posting!!
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hattrick... If someone chose Express service with PCGS, paid $60/coin (or whatever that fee is today) and specified to only grade the 70s and return the non-70s unslabbed... Let's say 8/20 graded 70. You would be looking at 8 new 70s in the pop report and no report on the 12 non-70s. Hence, pop reports on coins such as this are only relevant in my opinion as to the number of 70s graded. There is no relevance to confirming a percentage grade through rate as one is missing a key element of that equation. Just my 2 cents. Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I called the Mint today to return my gold liberty and they said they would send a pre-addressed, prepaid label.

Nice touch. >>

Wow!!! Didn't know that they did that. Live and learn. Thanks for posting!! >>

Seems as long as it is "damaged" they pay postage, verses "I changed my mind."
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Nice touch. >>

Seems as long as it is "damaged" they pay postage, verses "I changed my mind." >>

That policy sounds very fair.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Receiving mine on Wednesday, can't believe I paid so much over spot for an oz. of gold.
    Hopefully it's broadstruck, or 50% off center image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Seems as long as it is "damaged" they pay postage, verses "I changed my mind." >>

Don't forget you have to get the right rep, too. I called to return mine with reasons specified as excessive die polish and incomplete rim and I did not get the free postage offer...
  • Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    Last items I returned, uncirculated sets, went to order page clicked return items, submitted online form and they emailed me return label. Don't remember the specifics, but all done via web order page, same day.

(l8-)>>

• Options

<< <i>Hattrick... If someone chose Express service with PCGS, paid $60/coin (or whatever that fee is today) and specified to only grade the 70s and return the non-70s unslabbed... Let's say 8/20 graded 70. You would be looking at 8 new 70s in the pop report and no report on the 12 non-70s. Hence, pop reports on coins such as this are only relevant in my opinion as to the number of 70s graded. There is no relevance to confirming a percentage grade through rate as one is missing a key element of that equation. Just my 2 cents. Wondercoin. >>

You are correct about confirming grade thru percentage as that number is always BS and smoke & mirrors. Few if any ever publish their complete submittal & results numbers.
    Grade thru percentage is little more than marketing hype. One thing however seems to always play out, for whatever reason, from the PCGS populations is that the first week or
    so of populations grow ten fold to a hundred fold or more. look at the the claims of the early population of 3 reverse proof Trumans as being ultra rare. It is now up to 74 and growing.
    With the gold Liberty I feel safe in saying the 70 population will at least be in the high 100's and probably over 1,000.
    The percentage means nothing unless there is a demand for more that the number of 70's that exist.

The moral of the story is that early populations almost always change drastically and the grade thru percentage is usually little more than marketing hype IMHO.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    No "marketing hype" at all in my view, but only the reality that the coins that dealers or collectors requested not to be holdered as 69's are not holdered as such. Hence, the skewed pop reports on these high volume submission modern coins.

Perhaps PCGS benefits from the appearance of a super high grade through (and perhaps they do not), but the grading instructions given to PCGS is obviously outside of their control. That said, "newbies" are often times disappointed with their 33%, 40% of 50% grade through rate when they see 70% or 80% in the pop report. But, they simply do not understand the realities of these modern submissions.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't see the logic in specifying a minimum 70 grade. Unless it's a bulk submission, you pay the same fees so why not get the coin back in a 69 holder?

You can always crack it out.
  • Options
    Tales ... To those who are sending problem coins back to the Mint, why would they want to have to crack them out of 68 and 69 holders?

By the way, has anyone figured out how to crack the new holders easily? My tool for the last PCGS holders no longer works on the new ones image

Wondercoin
  • Options
    callawayc7callawayc7 Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    I can attest to the poor quality control. Got my one coin and there are 2 reverse corner dings! I don't plan to submit, so am not looking for a 70, but those 2 dings are just too distracting (especially for the $400 over spot we are paying), so I'm returning it.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can attest to the poor quality control. Got my one coin and there are 2 reverse corner dings! I don't plan to submit, so am not looking for a 70, but those 2 dings are just too distracting (especially for the $400 over spot we are paying), so I'm returning it. >>

I feel sorry for those on the waiting list because these coins will be recycled and sent out again. Someone will get stuck with these and similar defective coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can attest to the poor quality control. >>

I don't get it. I worked in automotive / appliance / food packaging mfg. QC for 40 yrs. A complaint rate, including complaints from myself, shown by the posts here, ranging from choice of design to final product received by the customer would result in an ugly bloodletting program review and corrective actions to reduce / stop the complaints.

Yet, different coins, same complaints and on and on and on she goes.

I'd really like to spend a day in the US Mint QC operation when planning and production occurs. I wonder what happens.

My .02
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If die polish is evident under 5X but the fields are still reflective, will the coin qualify as PL?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Gold at $ 1,106.70

A little gold rally under way???? Could we see a $ 50 increase Wednesday ???

Are you feeling lucky ??????image
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gold at $ 1,106.70

A little gold rally under way???? Could we see a $ 50 increase Wednesday ???

Are you feeling lucky ??????image >>

Gold still closed at $1097 today. (And 1093.50 on Friday and 1089.75 Thursday.)

Gold will have to *average* $1110 for the next two days before a price increase.

(Yes, I'm watching this. Considering getting a second coin at some point...)
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I can attest to the poor quality control. Got my one coin and there are 2 reverse corner dings! I don't plan to submit, so am not looking for a 70, but those 2 dings are just too distracting (especially for the $400 over spot we are paying), so I'm returning it. >>

I feel sorry for those on the waiting list because these coins will be recycled and sent out again. Someone will get stuck with these and similar defective coins. >>

Wouldn't the waiting list be after they sell out? Isn't the current back order a totally diferent animal?
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    gummibeargummibear Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    I just did the same. The rim above the eagle looked scraped or weakly struck. The obv had lots of dies scratches. Overall a very poor job by the mint. I did like the eagle on it though. Liberty always seems to catch the light wrong and looks like a skeleton.
    Glad to return and get money back on this.
    Richard

<< <i>

<< <i>

Nice touch. >>

Seems as long as it is "damaged" they pay postage, verses "I changed my mind." >>

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,510 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 unopened box returned

Next one goes Wed.

I'm surprised the tv hucksters only did 179

I guess they are still hurting from kennedy

It shows in the aftermarket. Something shows in the after market.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I feel sorry for those on the waiting list because these coins will be recycled and sent out again. Someone will get stuck with these and similar defective coins. >>

Wouldn't the waiting list be after they sell out? Isn't the current back order a totally diferent animal? >>

I would think returns are inspected and then returned to inventory assuming no major problems were detected. It's doubtful that whoever inspects these coins has any experience with grading coins so most of these defective coins will be judged "good enough".

• Options
    The reality is many of the coins being returned have little or nothing to do with just how "damaged" they are as opposed to just how "damaged" the aftermarket appears to be on 69 grade coins, raw coins and, for that matter, even 70 grade coins.

And, that is the absolute right of all purchasers who get to buy this product with a no questions asked 7 day return privilege. You pretty much get the same privilege at Costco as well.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    By the way, last week, I submitted a group of raw 2015 High Relief coins for a board member (our first submission deal together) and he was fortunate enough to get one of the coins back in PCGS-MS70PL today! I just posted it on ebay in a No Reserve three day auction, so it will be very interesting to see what the coin realizes for its owner. Good luck to him! The ebay # is 221849671331.

Wondercoin

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>By the way, last week, I submitted a group of raw 2015 High Relief coins for a board member (our first submission deal together) and he was fortunate enough to get one of the coins back in PCGS-MS70PL today! I just posted it on ebay in a No Reserve three day auction, so it will be very interesting to see what the coin realizes for its owner. Good luck to him! The ebay # is 221849671331.

Wondercoin >>

Hit the lotto .. The NGC PL is already bid at $4,150... BY MCM.....
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You pretty much get the same privilege at Costco as well. >>

LOL - Actually, you get a much better deal at Costco - like a lifetime return privilege (except TV, computer, etc)
  • Options

<< <i>By the way, last week, I submitted a group of raw 2015 High Relief coins for a board member (our first submission deal together) and he was fortunate enough to get one of the coins back in PCGS-MS70PL today! I just posted it on ebay in a No Reserve three day auction, so it will be very interesting to see what the coin realizes for its owner. Good luck to him! The ebay # is 221849671331.

Wondercoin >>

Wow!! Sweet. Congrats to u both.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here she is: PCGS FS MS70PL
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here she is: PCGS FS MS70PL >>

Does that MS70PL have polish lines?
  • Options
    If gold closes above $1,110 today and tomorrow we will see a $50 gold increase at the mint "early" tomorrow
    as they increase prices early in the day and decrease prices late in the afternoon when necessary.
  • Options
    PCGS 70 populations are growing. There are now 15 MS70 - PL and 199 MS70. image
  • Options
    Gold PM fix today at $ 1,108.25. A PM fix tomorrow above $ 1,111.50 will result in a $ 50 increase in the $100 Gold American Liberty Coin.
  • Options
    New mint numbers. (And all known numbers.)

07/31/15...36,686
    08/02/15...41,930...(official)
    08/03/15...42,146
    08/04/15...42,167
    08/05/15...42,076...See note below
    08/06/15...42,190
    08/09/15...42,767...(official)

(official) is the official published number from the Mint.

Note: Sales went backwards due to cancellations.
  • Options
    Oooooh, PL designation. Going to keep mine boxed. Didn't work so well with the reverse buffalo. Maybe ten years down the road someone will want to play the lottery. lol
  • Options

<< <i>Gold PM fix today at $ 1,108.25. A PM fix tomorrow above $ 1,111.50 will result in a $ 50 increase in the $100 Gold American Liberty Coin. >>

If you are on the fence about buying one of these keep an eye on the gold price in the morning. London fix is at 10:00 AM ET. If there is an increase
    the mint will take off sale quickly until price is raised. They move fast when there is a price increase and take all afternoon when there is a price decrease.
  • Options
    Gold now at $ 1,117 and will most likely go up more today.
    There will most likely be a $50 increase for 1oz. gold coins after 10:00AM ET this morning.

Edit: Now up to $ 1,120 with less than two hours to go looks like a $ 50 increase will happen.

This could be the breakout point for gold as new BS in China could chase investors to gold.
    Even if it does not keep on going there could be another $ 50 increase next week.
  • Options

<< <i>Gold now at $ 1,117 and will most likely go up more today.
    There will most likely be a $50 increase for 1oz. gold coins after 10:00AM ET this morning.

Edit: Now up to $ 1,120 with less than two hours to go looks like a $ 50 increase will happen.

This could be the breakout point for gold as new BS in China could chase investors to gold.
    Even if it does not keep on going there could be another $ 50 increase next week. >>

I think you're right. If the New York open doesn't bring the price down in the first 15 or 30 minutes, it's another $50.

It is China doing this, but I still don't think it's going to help gold in the long run, though I wouldn't mind it going back to $1200.
  • Options
    Oh, I should add that I can wait on that second 2015 HR.

Not only did I get my Ike sets yesterday, but also got the news they graded my 2015 HR MS-70 ATS. Not PL, but I'm not complaining either. image
  • Options

Even if it does not keep on going there could be another $ 50 increase next week. >>

So, if the price of the 2015 American Liberty goes up $50, will that help or hurt the sales numbers? I can see those sitting on the fence about returning their coins deciding to keep them with the newer higher price while those thinking about buying these coins would be dissuaded from buying them with the newer higher price.

• Options

<< <i>

So, if the price of the 2015 American Liberty goes up $50, will that help or hurt the sales numbers? I can see those sitting on the fence about returning their coins deciding to keep them with the newer higher price while those thinking about buying these coins would be dissuaded from buying them with the newer higher price. >>

Here's the historical data from the 2013 RP Buff:

Date......Tot Sales..Daily Sales
    8/12/13...24883.....3874
    8/13/13...26905.....2022
    8/14/13...29453.....2548 <--Price increase
    8/15/13...30482.....1029
    8/16/13...31174.......692
    Weekend
    8/19/13...32676.....1502
    8/20/13...34086.....1410
    8/21/13...35710.....1624 <--Price increase
    8/22/13...36257.......547
    8/23/13...36528.......271
    Weekend
    8/26/13...37314.......786
    8/27/13...37577.......263
    8/28/13...38861.....1284
    8/29/13...39961.....1100
    8/30/13...40804.......843

So sales slightly increased the day of the increase, and fell after each price increase. The difference here, is the RP Buff was a fixed time sale, and you bought or you didn't get one from the mint.

I'm not sure why sales jumped on 8/28. I looked at the gold fixes for that month, and I don't think there was any anticipation of a decrease in price...
  • Options
    Backorder ship date now September 1. Last chance before $ 50 increase. Could be taken off for new pricing after 10:00AM ET
  • Options
    Confirmed increase of $50 per coin today.

Gold average up $10.79/oz, average=$1101.50, thus the HR coin going up from $1490 to $1540

Mark
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Backorder ship date now September 1. Last chance before $ 50 increase. Could be taken off for new pricing after 10:00AM ET >>

If they don't ship until september 1 will those buyers miss out on the first strike opportunity?
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    GhosOfRudyGhosOfRudy Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    I am hoping it's dust on scanner or the capsule, but mine looks like it has a lot of fine scratches on it.

Largish picture, so linked here:
    http://i.imgur.com/eEJZpHV.jpg

Thumbnail:
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Backorder ship date now September 1. Last chance before $ 50 increase. Could be taken off for new pricing after 10:00AM ET >>

If they don't ship until september 1 will those buyers miss out on the first strike opportunity? >>

Yes, however lately the mint has been shipping well in advance of the estimated shipping dates. PCGS cutoff for first strike is
    Sunday, August 30. The mint will probably push to ship all orders by Friday Aug. 28.image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

If they don't ship until september 1 will those buyers miss out on the first strike opportunity? >>

Yes, however lately the mint has been shipping well in advance of the estimated shipping dates. PCGS cutoff for first strike is
    Sunday, August 30. The mint will probably push to ship all orders by Friday Aug. 28.image >>

Indeed. My Oct 1 backorders shipped almost immediately.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the way, last week, I submitted a group of raw 2015 High Relief coins for a board member (our first submission deal together) and he was fortunate enough to get one of the coins back in PCGS-MS70PL today!

Mitch, will some nominal die polishing preclude a PL designation if the mirrors are full?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file