Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2015 High Relief Gold Coin/Silver Medal (UH8 & UH9)

Comments

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The thing that turned me off was the price $400 over spot was just to much over with gold going down. I passed and will buy them in the after market for less then the mint price once weak hands need to let them go. With any mintage that is over 30K will be plenty to go around most ordering are flippers and TV sales man looking for the fast buck, I do it my self but it will bite you in the back side some times if you don't get in and out fast, most will go back to the mint after they don't rec the 70 grade that's the way the game is played, Good luck to all. image >>

Type, you are a veteran at this game, so generally the above is pretty accurate. As a bonus you can also get some fancy aftermarket label with a signature.

I am a gambler and like the thrill of sending in a coin and waiting for the grade. I bought two and I hope one passes the eyetest for me to send in.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The thing that turned me off was the price $400 over spot was just to much over with gold going down. I passed and will buy them in the after market for less then the mint price once weak hands need to let them go. With any mintage that is over 30K will be plenty to go around most ordering are flippers and TV sales man looking for the fast buck, I do it my self but it will bite you in the back side some times if you don't get in and out fast, most will go back to the mint after they don't rec the 70 grade that's the way the game is played, Good luck to all. image >>

How can most go back to the Mint if no 70 w a 7 day return period?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are there any pop reports in yet on these?

Will those telemarketers who pre-sold MS-70's get caught holding the proverbial paper receptacle?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Received my 4 ordered in the first 15 min. All have die polish. Two are going back due to contact marks.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

How can most go back to the Mint if no 70 w a 7 day return period? >>

1= pre screen
    2= walk through

any new sales reports for today?
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

How can most go back to the Mint if no 70 w a 7 day return period? >>

1= pre screen
    2= walk through

any new sales reports for today? >>

I don't consider pre screen a sure by a long shot as we've all found out. Therefore I didn't consider that in asking.

I get pre screen but the opportunity is limited.
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first graded proof like for sale on ebay for $ 19,500

2015 AMERICAN LIBERTY - PROOF LIKE
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    Lot's of sellers for $50-$75 profit and they don't appear to be moving. Was it worth it?
  • Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The first graded proof like for sale on ebay for $ 19,500

2015 AMERICAN LIBERTY - PROOF LIKE >>

But wait....free shipping! image
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options
    Too many inexperienced week handed flippers working on plastic money that has to be repaid soon.

Will this be a sleeper that gets off like " 40,000 raging you know what" I remember some orange wedge and California sunshine that did that to people.image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

<< <i>

But wait....free shipping! image >>

Should include a custom wood presentation box.image
  • Options

<< <i>Lot's of sellers for $50-$75 profit and they don't appear to be moving. Was it worth it? >>

Until they sell out, these are gold Kennedy's

I'm not sure after sell out, but I'm inclined to say premium over issue.

Now, will the amateur flippers make it a lot like the gold Kennedy's and we see a bunch of returns next week? To the point of a sales decline?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which by PCGS standards, it would cross as a half a proof like...
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone having an issue processing a return on the US Mint website?
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone having an issue processing a return on the US Mint website? >>

Someone posted that you have to call them by phone to do a cancellation.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone having an issue processing a return on the US Mint website? >>

I once just filled out the form at the bottom of the packing slip and sent some sets back, and eventually got a refund. (That was before I knew about the web form.)

I assume you're clicking on "Return Items From This Order" on the order summary page? It worked fine for me just now, but didn't actually go through with the final return request.

(Perry, he's returning a couple of coins to the mint, not cancel an order. At least I assume so, from this previous posting...)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Coinworld reporting sales of 42,167 through Tuesday. Also the usmint not planning to sell any at Rosemont ANA. I suppose they feel there wont be any left by Aug 11th. Not very impressive sales Monday & Tuesday. >>

Wow. Talk about slowing sales. >>

It depends on whether or not this new number includes order cancellations. (It could. PFSWeb is very quick in this regard. It seems unlike their predecessors, this new company is very aware of their inventory.)
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Lot's of sellers for $50-$75 profit and they don't appear to be moving. Was it worth it? >>

Now, will the amateur flippers make it a lot like the gold Kennedy's and we see a bunch of returns next week? To the point of a sales decline? >>

If the spot price of Gold keeps going up the issue price will increase $50 and maybe people will try to buy before the increase.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Now, will the amateur flippers make it a lot like the gold Kennedy's and we see a bunch of returns next week? To the point of a sales decline? >>

If the spot price of Gold keeps going up the issue price will increase $50 and maybe people will try to buy before the increase. >>

If people wanted to buy the liberty Gold they would have sold it out...

The Mint played smart on this coin ....$ 400 premium over spot ...raised the house max to 50 coins to sell most coins .... 70s will have legs .....raw won't
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

If the spot price of Gold keeps going up the issue price will increase $50 and maybe people will try to buy before the increase. >>

If people wanted to buy the liberty Gold they would have sold it out...

The Mint played smart on this coin ....$ 400 premium over spot ...raised the house max to 50 coins to sell most coins .... 70s will have legs .....raw won't >>

If people wanted the gold kennedy they would have sold out

but it has sold over 70k

70s in gold kennedy aren't so hot.

At the risk of being called out for spam, I will say my 'make offer' for mine have received 0 offers in 1 day.

These are going to be like the gold kennedy at least until they sell out.

• Options
    dmarksdmarks Posts: 450 ✭✭
    I think once the mint gets rid of the 50 household limit, these coins will sell out. The 50 coin limit doesn't bother 99.9% of buyers but it definitely has an impact on some big companies. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MCM has reduced their price on the 70s AND are giving an additional $20 off. Below $2000 for a PCGS/NGC 70 now. Still a premium, but 70s always have a premium.
    Could be a dicey thing right now.....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>I think once the mint gets rid of the 50 household limit, these coins will sell out. The 50 coin limit doesn't bother 99.9% of buyers but it definitely has an impact on some big companies. Just my opinion. >>

Made a stop at 2 local B&Ms .. one wasn't buying the liberty gold raw ,, the 2nd was offering $ 75 over spot

But never fear ....looks like the US Dollar made a top today .. Gold set for a nice rallyimage
  • Options

<< <i>MCM has reduced their price on the 70s AND are giving an additional $20 off. Below $2000 for a PCGS/NGC 70 now. Still a premium, but 70s always have a premium.
    Could be a dicey thing right now..... >>

Made a stop to 2 local B%Ms asked about the Gold Liberty .. one dealer had no interest . 2nd dealer was offering to buy at $ 75 over spot

But no fear,,, looks like the US Dollar topped out this morning .... Gold set to strongly rally soon
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bochiman: My price for the 70s is even lower than that.

You gotta pay the light bill image.

Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>Bochiman: My price for the 70s is even lower than that.

You gotta pay the light bill image.

Wondercoin. >>

And, Mitch, I think you are one who has a good view on these moderns, so that really makes me wonder.

Any additional thoughts from you on these? Short term? Long term?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgh...

<< <i>
    Updated Delivery Day: Saturday, August 8, 2015
    Scheduled Delivery Day: Thursday, August 6, 2015, 3:00 pm
    Money Back Guarantee

Product & Tracking Information Postal Product: Priority Mail Express 1-Day™
    Features: Insured PO to Addressee
    Up to $100 insurance included
    Restrictions Apply >>

It finally got delivered today, but definitely going to pursue USPS for a refund...
  • Options
    Other than ... buy my coins because I believe my prices are really "fair" (LOL) ....

I would say that a few things are very possible in my opinion:

1. There will be substantially more MS70FS coins at PCGS than there were for the 2009 UHR's. This is likely due to a higher grade through rate this time than in 2009 and the max lots of 50 vs. the limit 1 from 2009 has led dealers (even true blue "classic" coin dealers) this time to "play" and submit these coins when they would not have dreamed of submitting these type of coins 6 years ago. I met one in the dealer lobby at PCGS the other day - he clearly seems a little embarrassed about submitting these coins (perhaps he thought I was thinking just how bad it is right now trying to be purely a classic coin dealer in this market). image

2. Assuming #1, the larger number of MS70FS coins will offset the lower mintage this time.

3. Modern dealers are now so used to making $10 and $15 clear on a $1000 or $1500 coin that even if there is $100 or $150 net profit to made on a 70FS High Relief (after whatever loss on the 69's), that may be viewed as "big money" in the relative nature of things. Hence, the "low, low" prices at the outset.

As always, just my two cents.
    Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I think what is hurting these now like a lot of perceived popular coins is the entry of extra large dealers. They buy by the ton then get spooked at any slowdown in fear that a falling gold price will reach up and nip them in a big way so they adjust prices to keep them moving before the spot price boogie man gets them. There may be some sophisticated ones that hedge to protect their stock but I wonder if that is a small group with deep pockets. It could be that when these clear out then the price may solidify.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    Thanks Mitch.

What's the thought on which label? I hate having multiple to choose from. I like the "classic" better from what I saw on the PCGS page.....

• Options
    Yeah, thanks for the analysis, Mitch! You are an asset to the boards, for sure.

I opened one of mine. She definitely don't pop like the UHR; but, not much does.
  • Options
    "Thanks Mitch. What's the thought on which label?"

The majority of my coins are being slabbed in "classic" First Strike labels. A small minority with the Medal of Excellence (Standish) insert because it is a bit more "exclusive" so I am told. That's it.

I recently passed on an even more special insert because it would have cost me $35/coin more just for the label. I just want to keep the costs down to compete with anyone and everyone offering these coins.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    I only check a few issues in the after market, like the occasional puck. I don't see the label premium lasting on them.

Although, to forge an insert, one would have to also convincingly forge a Moy, Standish, Mercanti live signature too

About the only label lasting seem to be the show labels.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me, the $18 standard First Strike flag label is the "gold standard" in First Strike labels.

Everyone in the industry recognizes it.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Regardless of label, holder and grade, unless the design screams buy me, this hobby / business / industry, is in trouble.

What's the Mint to do for its' next overture?

It all relies on the mint, the CCAC, congress, technology. I'm not hanging my hat. I'm thinking Fustercluck.

My .02.

edit - US Mint 2016 Centennial Gold Coin proposal is the perfect example of the collector roller coaster.

Crazy.
  • Options
    SpkrmakrSpkrmakr Posts: 100 ✭✭✭
    My single order arrived Monday shortly after I left for the week. Just returned and inspected the coin. Like many if not most, my HR coin exhibited die polishing. The order was placed within the first 15 minutes of sale. I did not find even under 8X magnification any marks or defects other than the die polish. Call it a matter of principle, I will not accept this level of quality after paying such a heavy gold price premium. The coin is on the way to the post office as I post this message for return. I will use the funds to purchase something that represents a better value.
    Spkrmakr
  • Options

From NGC's 2015 American Liberty submission page:

<< <i>This eagerly anticipated coin features a High Relief Eagle design originally proposed for the American Silver Eagle. **NGC has graded several Prooflike 2015-W American Liberty High Relief $100 coins. These coins are automatically eligible for NGC’s Prooflike (PL) designation as part of the normal grading process. No special fee is required.** >>

• Options

<< <i>Regardless of label, holder and grade, unless the design screams buy me, this hobby / business / industry, is in trouble.

What's the Mint to do for its' next overture?

It all relies on the mint, the CCAC, congress, technology. I'm not hanging my hat. I'm thinking Fustercluck.

My .02.

edit - US Mint 2016 Centennial Gold Coin proposal is the perfect example of the collector roller coaster.

Crazy. >>

I put some of their thoughts into my thread about the survey I took for them last night. Survey/focus group

• Options
    Opened my eight coins.

Two were just dogs!! Spotting on the obverse of one, substantial mirror/shiny type finish flaw on the obverse of another. Real dogs.

Four had obvious finish flaws on the reverse rim w/mirrored areas and a couple of dings.

Two look pretty nice.

For $400 over spot (good lord!) I expected better quality.

Six going back tomorrow.
  • Options
    The first one I opened has a "flatness" to it representative of a Bullion gold eagle. I get the HR but she feels like bullion.
    I like the pics you all posted online better.

Maybe it would look better in a PCGS holder with PL designation! Back to her home she goes.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are they going to be melting down all these returns eventually?

It seems like the ones without die polish should bring a premium.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've said that I think it is a nice if not great design and would have rather had one of the flying voluptuous godesses pirated from the Italy 20 Cent piece of early 20th C. - right out of Playboy with thin enough drapery.

So even though I like it, with the premium they charged I would have liked a boxing like the '09 UHR.

Mine semi-prooflike with no die polish lines and much higher relief than I expected.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

<< <i>I've said that I think it is a nice if not great design and would have rather had one of the flying voluptuous godesses pirated from the Italy 20 Cent piece of early 20th C. - right out of Playboy with thin enough drapery.

So even though I like it, with the premium they charged I would have liked a boxing like the '09 UHR.

Mine semi-prooflike with no die polish lines and much higher relief than I expected. >>

So true

The PROOF Buffs have a wood box and lower markup!

• Options
    ChiSaoChiSao Posts: 134
    I was extremely excited about this coin. But I couldn't help but to wonder why the mint moved the release date to August from December?
    It seemed to me that was a strategic move on their part.

It will be interesting to see where gold is in December.

Alex
  • Options

<< <i>I was extremely excited about this coin. But I couldn't help but to wonder why the mint moved the release date to August from December?
    It seemed to me that was a strategic move on their part.

It will be interesting to see where gold is in December. >>

Gold will be a lot higher in December .. making harder to charge the $400 premium to spot ,than now
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I almost bought one of these, thought I might regret not doing so after the initial sales figures within the first couple of hours, but now glad I didn't. It almost seemed like these came to a screeching halt after Day 1, and I agree with dmarks assessment.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>I almost bought one of these, thought I might regret not doing so after the initial sales figures within the first couple of hours, but now glad I didn't. It almost seemed like these came to a screeching halt after Day 1, and I agree with dmarks assessment. >>

$$$$2,499 for Anacs 70 on the coin show tonight .. stock up .. lol
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I almost bought one of these, thought I might regret not doing so after the initial sales figures within the first couple of hours, but now glad I didn't. It almost seemed like these came to a screeching halt after Day 1, and I agree with dmarks assessment. >>

$$$$2,499 for Anacs 70 on the coin show tonight .. stock up .. lol >>

Watching the same show. I can't believe how hard they are hyping. They have/had 179 70's. Wonder how many sell @ $1.000 over cost.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pf Jackies ANACS70's $1.600. They have 99

MoD sets, ANACS 70, $300. Regularly $370 989 "limited edition"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file