Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2015 High Relief Gold Coin/Silver Medal (UH8 & UH9)

Comments

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>When does the mint publish their weekly sales figures? I curious as to how many have sold so far.image >>

Took a big step backward. Returns?

07/31/15...36,686
    08/02/15...41,930...(official)
    08/03/15...42,146
    08/04/15...42,167
    08/05/15...42,076
    08/06/15...42,190
    08/09/15...42,767...(official)
    08/16/15...42,411...(official) >>

Looks like they are coming back faster than they are going out.image >>

Well, from reading here and other blogs, it sounded like thousands were going back because of those polish line and contact marks.

Or, it could be that there were hundreds going back and the same people were posting on multiple blogs. image

The 7-day return period is probably over for the initial shipments, even those that were backordered to Sep 1 but shipped early. We'll see what happens next week, though the $50 bump could be a problem.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i> I'll place your prediction with the one made by 7over8 on the Kennedy gold. >>

Classic, still waiting. Although, I did want to go to Chicago 2014 ANA buy and re-sell 3/4 oz gold, didn't make it, after the seeing pics of the lines for purchase, glad I didn't.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The US Mint just bumped their price by $50 to $1540. >>

Sales will slow .....but another $50-75 up move in Gold will bring market back to life.. by end of Sept
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Sales will slow .....but another $50-75 up move in Gold will bring market back to life.. by end of Sept >>

Keep the faith, bestday!

Boats that float may even include the lowly 7/8 Kennedy.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Sales will slow .....but another $50-75 up move in Gold will bring market back to life.. by end of Sept >>

Keep the faith, bestday!

Boats that float may even include the lowly 7/8 Kennedy. >>

Does the Mint update price of 2015 Gold Liberty weekly? .. or Monthly.. Gold now at 1148. up from 1080 low 2 weeks agoimage
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Keep the faith, bestday!

Boats that float may even include the lowly 7/8 Kennedy. >>

Does the Mint update price of 2015 Gold Liberty weekly? .. or Monthly.. Gold now at 1148. up from 1080 low 2 weeks agoimage >>

Weekly
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the rate gold is climbing we could have another increase next week.
    Time for a little gold rally to $ 1,300 +.image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>At the rate gold is climbing we could have another increase next week.
    Time for a little gold rally to $ 1,300 +.image >>

Very little downside to these at the rate gold is going up.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just sent mine back for an exchange, costing me $24.69. Thinking about writing the Mint requesting some sort of refund.
    Also had to send my Kennedy gold piece back. A 2015 proof ASE will work as a refund. Will I have any luck?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

<< <i>Just sent mine back for an exchange, costing me $24.69. Thinking about writing the Mint requesting some sort of refund.
    Also had to send my Kennedy gold piece back. A 2015 proof ASE will work as a refund. Will I have any luck? >>

I politely asked for a refund for the original shipping of 4.95 and they offered to email me a self addressed and pre paid postage stamp.
    Others here have received cash refunds for postage. Like all other matters Mint, it varies depending on humidity and barometric attitude.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Make a copy of your USPS postage receipt, write a letter to the US Mint - send it to them snail mail.

They send a check refund to you. Ive done it several times.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ordered. Received. Too many nicks/scratches. Called mint. Was nice to CSR. Explained situation. Was asked what I wanted as resolution.
    I asked for refund. CSR volunteered to refund incl sending pre-paid mailing label (UPS) AND, I later noticed but wasn't told initially, CSR also refunded initial $4.95 shipping charges.

I got a good CSR, obviously, and didn't have to try to ask for, nor whine about, anything. She just did it all.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if they don't reach 50K orders, then the mintage will be lower, correct?

also, if they have a pile of returned coins that people don't want because of problems, they are melted, correct?

and meanwhile, gold climbs. excellent.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>if they don't reach 50K orders, then the mintage will be lower, correct?

also, if they have a pile of returned coins that people don't want because of problems, they are melted, correct? >>

They will eventually sell out. I imagine someone at the mint examines each returned coin and returns the ones determined to be satisfactory to inventory. The person inspecting the returned coins is unlikely to be a professional coin grader or even a regular coin collector and will not even notice the minor imperfections found by collectors using their high powered loupes. Many collectors are expecting perfect coins from the mint which is probably unrealistic.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    <<Many collectors are expecting perfect coins from the mint which is probably unrealistic.>>

I feel for the money spent I should receive something a bit better than this.
    Not looking for a 70, just one with better rims, the obverse was fine. Hopefully the Mint
    rep sees the same thing I did.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<Many collectors are expecting perfect coins from the mint which is probably unrealistic.>>

Not looking for a 70, just one with better rims, the obverse was fine. Hopefully the Mint

image >>

I agree 100%.

As I've mentioned, only one of my 8 looked really good. All but one had bad rims. I send 7 back. I just received the grade on the one best that I sent in which received a 70. I think that it's a real 70. I am very surprised at all of the 70s with rim damage. I think that if rim damage ruled out a 70 than the 70 pops would be REALLY low.

Overall, this HR has really disappointed me. The concept was great. The reverse is fantastic. The passing over of several fantastic designs for the obverse for what I believe was just a PC choice and the poor quality control esp. given the premium to spot was a real let down for me.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    PCGS continues to slap MS70 labels on these coins in bulk.

MS70 population jumps to 4,550 and MS70PL population jumps to 90

have to help the big boys unload all the gold coins they purchased.

there will be a boat load of these coins for sale. Ebay postings for lots of 10,20 and even 30 coins by the same seller.

fire sale in September.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

<< <i><<Many collectors are expecting perfect coins from the mint which is probably unrealistic.>>

image >>

Just looking at that photo again. That really is just amazing photography!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As I've mentioned, only one of my 8 looked really good. All but one had bad rims. I send 7 back. I just received the grade on the one best that I sent in which received a 70. I think that it's a real 70. I am very surprised at all of the 70s with rim damage. I think that if rim damage ruled out a 70 than the 70 pops would be REALLY low. >>

Would the hobby benefit from a 70+ grade for these?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>As I've mentioned, only one of my 8 looked really good. All but one had bad rims. I send 7 back. I just received the grade on the one best that I sent in which received a 70. I think that it's a real 70. I am very surprised at all of the 70s with rim damage. I think that if rim damage ruled out a 70 than the 70 pops would be REALLY low. >>

Would the hobby benefit from a 70+ grade for these? >>

That would be cool - and I think appropriate for examples such as the one that I lucked out with with no visable rim damage when such damage seems to be virtually the norm.

Still, if a 70 is supposed to be essentially perfect a 70+ would not necessarily make sense.

I think that the most logical thing would be to just use the 70 grade as most think that it's intended which would likely result in very low 70 pops for these which, I think, should be the case. A 70 should mean a 70 IMHO. I think that in time regardless of the number on the plastic, that the coins with no rim damage and minimal die polish will command the substantial premium that they should.

It's funny that the PLs command such a huge premium when, I think, that PL is extremely subjective. Rim damage is, I think, far more obvious and less subjective. I think that the relatively few of these with both no rim damage and minimal die polish - and no other distractions of course - are the true gems and will eventually be recognized as such.

On a side note, I've always though that PL is incredibly subjective. This is not to say that I would not love to have any of my coins grade as such, just that I think that it's very, very subjective. Several years ago at a Baltimore show a dealer had several MS70PL UHRs in one case. I asked him if he would mind my looking at a PL and a non PL. He said fine. I switched hands, covered the labels and looked at them. I could see no difference whatsoever. I am by no means a professional grader, but I really could tell no difference at all. I had the same experience with the pucks when I could compare my on PLs with non-PLs.

Not that this will ever happen, but it would be fascinating to do see what percentage of PL crack out resubmissions would come back PL. I'd bet very, very few.

Just my 0.02 of course.
  • Options

<< <i>Many collectors are expecting perfect coins from the mint which is probably unrealistic.

rep sees the same thing I did. >>

Planned obsolescence. Ralph Nader.

Can't imagine why the US mint can't join the 21st century for producing massively reduced defect free product.

Spend $1500 on a brand new, UJS Mint coin with bad rims? "Oh, it's the mint,I'll return it."

To put a customer in the position to return or not, SUCKS.

Srly, HOW DIFFICULT IS IT TO MAKE HIGH QUALITY BLANKS / PLANCHETS, FOLLOWED UP BY HIGH QUALITY, CONSISTENT, REPEATABLE COIN STRIKES?

AT THE US MINT, IT'S PRETTY DIFFICULT, EVIDENTLY.

Amazing.
  • Options
    <<Just looking at that photo again. That really is just amazing photography!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

Thank you but from a technical stand point, the rims are out of focus, plus I had to shot through the capsule.
    I could have also done a better job on the light distribution, a bit bright at the base of the coin. Wish I could've
    shot out of it's capsule, couldn't for the life of me get it out.
  • Options
    The capsules were very hard to open.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Decrease of a1K in sales (all those returns), and the Mint flipped to coin to currently unavailable.

I wonder if we'll get an official explanation. (They should be inspecting the inventory for defective coins, I'd imagine. Having to refund $2M has to have gotten someone's attention...)

8/09/2015...42,767
    8/16/2015...42,411
    8/23/2015...41,473
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ordered two on 8/5/15 and it was saying backordered but for the last two days it's been saying processing. I am worried I will now get returned items that have no chance at a 70. Thoughts?
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The capsules were very hard to open. >>

How times have changed. We just used a hammer in the old days.
  • Options
    Several proof likes now on ebay. Pictures do not show any rim damage.
    PCGS listed at $8,799 + $10,799 ngc listed at $7,999image
  • Options
    possible gold price increase tomorrow.

<< For coin increases to kick in, the Wednesday AM price must move up to at least $1,146.71 an ounce and the PM price must climb to at least $1,150 an ounce. If that happens, the U.S. Mint will raise its gold product pricing by as much as $50 for every ounce of the yellow metal they contain >>
  • Options
    I still want to see what actually happens in the USMint Executive, Program Manager and QC meetings at the US Mint.

I bet the heads bounce up and down, Yes, yepper, You bet cha!

US Mint - Open Invitation - Invite me to review your program!

Srsly. A citizen observing in on the way the US mint actually manages this behemoth might have good feedback to the USMint, then again, it'll get crushed.

What a concept.

That's the way it is, coinbuyers.
  • Options
    now that it has been determined there is no price increase it is back on sale again.

suprise, surprise, surprise
  • Options
    No problem getting a 70 on this coin. Over 10,000 graded 70 by PCGS & NGC with 180 of them proof like.
  • Options
    It has not even been 30 days yet. How did they get so many slabbed so fast in the middle of all the Trumans, ect.
    Must have had a boatload of 70 labels already printed and dropped the coins in the slabs as fast as they came in the door.image
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No problem getting a 70 on this coin. Over 10,000 graded 70 by PCGS & NGC with 180 of them proof like. >>

that's because they are just slapping 70's on them without even really grading the coin. this hurts collectors and dealers. a lot of the coins i have seen have mint made defects while some do not. how can they all be 70 if that is the case?
  • Options
    Submitted two coins after looking them over very carefully with a 10x loupe. One came back 70, and one a 69. Not sure what they saw but I sure as heck didn't see anything.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Submitted two coins after looking them over very carefully with a 10x loupe. One came back 70, and one a 69. Not sure what they saw but I sure as heck didn't see anything. >>

Ank,

Did you just submit your two best, and if so out of how many?

I would be pretty happy with only ordering two, and one ending up a 70, but I digress as I cancelled my order on Tuesday. I couldn't wait any longer and take a chance on getting returned/culled coins.

Thanks, BC
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    The Proof Likes seem to be bringing good money. Several on Ebay in the $ 8,000 and $ 9,000 range.

One just sold for $ 9,800

SOLD FOR $ 9,800

Another one sold for $ 8,799

SOLD FOR $ 8,799
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Submitted two coins after looking them over very carefully with a 10x loupe. One came back 70, and one a 69. Not sure what they saw but I sure as heck didn't see anything. >>

Ank,

Did you just submit your two best, and if so out of how many?

I would be pretty happy with only ordering two, and one ending up a 70, but I digress as I cancelled my order on Tuesday. I couldn't wait any longer and take a chance on getting returned/culled coins.

Thanks, BC >>

Ordered 4, returned 2. Not bad but I didn't see anything on the one coin.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    My appreciation to the board for this dialogue, wasn't sure I wanted one of these, sat out first day orders. Ordered late, condemned to revolving back order list, figured I could cancel if later than FS cutoff. Then the pops exploded and quality issues caused negative sales numbers. Thanks for all the analysis and opinion, I expect to get one cheaper than a shipping quality crappie shoot with grading fees...... In a nutshell, just cancelled my order. Now what to do with fifteen hundred dollars. image

(l8-)>>

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    I just gave my 2 a cursory glance b4 sending them off to PCGS. Both 70. Ho Hum...
  • Options
    Just sad, this thread is so far back.......it deserves better!
  • Options
    Everybody is waiting for:

1. A sell out
    2. The flood to subside
    3. The price of gold to rise further
    4. A valuable error coin to be found
    5. All of the above.
  • Options

<< <i>Everybody is waiting for:

1. A sell out
    2. The flood to subside
    3. The price of gold to rise further
    4. A valuable error coin to be found
    5. All of the above.
    image >>

#4 has happened. A major error at least, don't know the value. I woukd expect more to show up.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who thinks Liberty's face resembles one of those little grey space aliens?

this was particularly noticeable to me when I saw the guy hawking these on the coin television show last night

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just gave my 2 a cursory glance b4 sending them off to PCGS. Both 70. Ho Hum... >>

So what are 70's bringing?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I just gave my 2 a cursory glance b4 sending them off to PCGS. Both 70. Ho Hum... >>

So what are 70's bringing? >>

Depends on the source. APMEX wants $2495 for PCGS MS70FS examples. Wondercoins has them much cheaper ($1789) on the BST Forum. PL 70's bring moon money.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

So what are 70's bringing? >>

Depends on the source. APMEX wants $2495 for PCGS MS70FS examples. Wondercoins has them much cheaper ($1789) on the BST Forum. PL 70's bring moon money. >>

eBay stats: completed auctions..104
    Low price: $1,680
    High bid: $2,500 (only one ... majority are less than $2k)

Average price: around $1,790 with free s&h
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Now unavailable at the mint. Are they going to take the remaining coins off the market and melt them?
    Hold them until the price of gold rises so they can ovecharge more for them ?
    Stay tuned for Adventures at Circus World aka The United States Mint.image
  • Options
    UTTM07UTTM07 Posts: 313 ✭✭
    What's the status on exchanges any of you have made? I returned mine for exchange after receiving it on 8/7. Haven't heard anything back yet, except getting refunded. It still shows "processing" on the website though. Will they rebill at the current price for an exchange?
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I got one 69 and one 70.

I may break even on eBayimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file