Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since I mentioned the '12-D, here is an example of what I see as different MM positions or mintmark placement:

• T

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think now that Darrell has completed his VF to XF sets he now needs an AU set of Halves with al MM variations represented. After all, isn't that what the King of Barber Halves should do? Darrell, are you up for the challenge?

Come to think of it he may already have them,,,,,,,

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2017 2:57PM

Hello everyone... I'm not having fun trying to delete the coins { Halves } that I sold
    thru HA.COM.

EDIT: I believe I have now deleted all my old coins that sold.

Its no where as easy a task as it used to be. If anyone is waiting for me to delete
    any of my halves - I apologize - I'm working on it. The new system is taking forever !!

Other than that, I have nothing to report at the moment.

Interesting MM Die Punch discussion.

BTW: Has anyone ever seen the 1892-S Micro S that is in "Beistle" Reference Book ?
    Neither have I....

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases

Here's another of my MS Half Dollars. I purchased this one raw about 3 years ago thinking it would come back in a 58 holder. It came back in a 61 holder instead:

I had a True View done at the time of grading:

At the time of grading there was a small tone spot on the neck; now it's a large blob. I'm wondering what this will turn into?

Wow, that small blackhead turned into a large black pimple inside of a PCGS holder? I thought the holders were supposed to be much better for longer-term protection on these sort of things? is it common to have these types of problems?

I'm guessing the coin had been dipped and retained before I bought it. Once that tarnish is there it will come back. The holder won't stop it.

edited February 11, 2017 4:13PM

So what's the best thing to do in these circumstances? (always in favor of best custodialship on the coin's behalf)... crack out and fix? gently remove foreign object causing the excessive toning then redip? send to NCS or PC equivalent?

Jeff, David Lawrence currently has at auction an 1898-S in AU-58. It also has a spot that I now wonder about... especially after seeing what has happened to your coin.

• barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim - Interesting info about those MM positions.

Mike - I've never seen, or heard from anyone who's seen, a 92-S, micro S either.

Jeff - That's a pretty dramatic growth in only 3 years.

Pics for this AM, beauty from Paesan's Stash, PC64:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff, I'm not really a variety nut. I have kept a few. I have all the majors in AU except the micro O.

edited February 12, 2017 8:19PM

Vern, Thanks for sharing the Paes' '98 in 64. Beautiful coin!

Darrell, If you have that '92-S in micro S, please share so we can see a pic.

Jeff, on the toning spot... sorry that has happened to your otherwise beautiful coin.

LOL! :smiley: I was referring to those PCGS recognizes!

@sedulous said:
    Vern, Thanks for sharing the Paes' '98 in 64. Beautiful coin!

Darrell, If you have that '92-S in micro S, please share so we can see a pic.

Jeff, on the toning spot... sorry that has happened to your otherwise beautiful coin.

Darrell - Have you ever heard of anyone who's seen a micro S? Also, hope you'll be in Spartanburg this week, had vehicle issues and couldn't get to Charlotte.

Pics for this AM, from my raw collection:

Vern
    l
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

I thought I had a 92 micro S half at one time but no one seemed to be of a mind to chime in on whether it had any significance.
    I'd retrieve the images out of Photo Bucket but that is such an uncontrollable phishing swamp, I can no longer even log on without being swept off to a dozen different websites in the first 3 seconds.
    Anyhow, the mint mark was a tiny S.
    My bad for not caring enough to keep it.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.

Dogwood... I had the same feeling about my PCGS 1898-O Micro O - it was a XF 45 -
    and although I knew it wasn't the exact same size of the Imfamous 92-O Micro O,
    it was distinctively smaller than the normal O .... Everyone who looked at it kept
    saying it wasn't a Micro O. Then again, what do they know ? Never seeing an 1898-O
    Micro O, every one thinks the same size as the 92-O ... As I said...what do they know.

I did keep the Revier 1898-O Micro O ( non attributed by NGC ) that was on Mark Saltzman's
    desk for six months - and no determination was made because they had never seen a 98-O
    Micro O so - they were relying on the supposition that it was not a Micro O because it didn't
    match exactly the size of the 1892-O Micro O.

Too bad you didn't keep images of the 92-Micro S Half.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

I would chime in on the Micro discussion but have nothing to add.

Verne...Look forward to seeing you in Spartanburg!

Win a PCGS VF20 you guys! Can you grade like PCGS?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/976182/grade-these-20-barber-halfs-and-win-a-pcgs-vf-barber-half#latest

Dennis - So at least one is out there, in all likelihood. Interesting.

Mike - Why would it take 6 months? Either it's a small 'o' like on a dime, or it isn't. Someone with fancy tools ought to be able to measure it.

Darrell - I'll have to get my good glasses on for your grading challenge.

Pics for this AM, more from my raw set:

Vern
    l
    edited February 15, 2017 12:01PM

Just a head's up...while browsing eBay this evening - I came across a beautiful 1895-S Quarter in PCGS 58 offered by The Reeded Edge. [ un CAC'd ] and its listed for $695 if memory serves me correctly ! { Which is $400 less than what I paid Dave Kahn in 2015.} Its worth looking at - in case anyone needs that date & MM.

Edited to show the correct date being sold . I originally said it was an 1895-O, a typo.
    Thanks for pointing it out, Vern.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Mike - It's a 95-S they have in 58 at $695. I'm thinking there's a little difference in quality that has something to do with the price differential.

Pics for this AM, I've never had a 95-S in 58. This one is PC63

Vern
    l

@MFH said:
    Just a head's up...while browsing eBay this evening - I came across a beautiful 1895-S Quarter in PCGS 58 offered by The Reeded Edge. [ un CAC'd ] and its listed for $695 if memory serves me correctly ! { Which is $400 less than what I paid Dave Kahn in 2015.} Its worth looking at - in case anyone needs that date & MM.

Edited to show the correct date being sold . I originally said it was an 1895-O, a typo.

Mike, Vern, Went out to take a look at that '95-S. From their pic, it looks like there could be a bit of repunching on the MM but it is hard to see when zooming in on their pic. In the Feigenbaum text on Barber Quarters, it doesn't seem it matches up with No. 101 or 102 S/S however.

• mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

@sedulous said:

@MFH said:

Mike, Vern, Went out to take a look at that '95-S. From their pic, it looks like there could be a bit of repunching on the MM but it is hard to see when zooming in on their pic. In the Feigenbaum text on Barber Quarters, it doesn't seem it matches up with No. 101 or 102 S/S however.

I saw this quarter a few days ago. I'm gna go see it in hand SAT if noone buys it. It looks to be a nice coin.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys

Mark - Hope you get to see it in hand, so we will know about the RPM. The 63 I posted yesterday is an RPM.

Pics for this AM, from my raw set:

Vern
    l

Vern, the '09 - '11 quarters are some really nice and wholesome specimens. Nice quality for the grade!

Here's another Barber Half I purchased raw thinking it was AU but ended up in a MS holder:

A bit dark, but not too bad. OK it's dark.......

I think I killed the thread.....

edited February 18, 2017 1:21PM

Nothing new to report ... I was the underbidder on a 1903-S Dime
    PCGS 58 CAC... at the Heritage Auction last night. C'est la vie.

I spotted a couple of nice V Nickels - although I am high bidder at the
    moment, I expect someone will see the beauty of these two coins &
    again, out bid me. I'm staying put with my bids and refuse to chase
    anything.

Not to worry, Jeff. You didn't kill this Thread.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Jeff ("I think I killed the thread.....") and Mike, I know you Florida guys might not fully understand this but up north here we have 60+ degree weather. It is really nice to get outside right now while the temperature is warm. You take it when you can get it!

A couple more nicely circulated dimes...

1901-O

1911-D

1913-P

• T

Enjoyed a good discussion with Darrell at Spartanburg Friday. Still one of the best things about numismatics IMO, is the conversations with fellow collectors (or in Darrell's case, collector/dealers).

Jeff - That's a good looking 61. Doesn't look like any big issues, so I wonder why it's not a 62. It seems to me there ought to be some big issue for a coin to garner a 60-61 grade.

Mike - Good luck on your V nickel bids.

Tim - Good looking original dimes.

Pics for this AM, a 61 in my collection whose grade I don't understand:

Vern
    l

Thanks, Verne, I was fortunate to win my bids on two Proof V Nickels
    and these were some of the only CAC approved ones being sold in the
    Internet Only part of the Heritage auction:

photo 1894 Nickel PCGS PR 66 CAC OBV_zpszrshlblv.jpg
    photo 1894 Nickel PCGS PR 66 CAC REV_zps4zd4n6vd.jpg

photo 1907 Nickel PCGS PR 66 CAC OBV_zpskfi8djjx.jpg
    photo 1907 Nickel PCGS PR 66 CAC REV_zpsamkx2n2l.jpg

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Verne,as always it was great seeing you and chatting again!

Mike-

Nice pickup on those nickels; great looking coins!

I received a raw submission back from PCGS last week. Most of them were Barber Dimes, but I had a couple of Quarters as well. Here's an '05 S Dime, PC XF 45:

I've been looking for a nice raw (AU) '05 S for a long time. I picked up this one until I can find the right one. For me it's more fun looking for nice raw ones than purchasing one in plastic, but with these common dimes its a money loosing proposition. Oh well.

Wow, handsome '05-S Jeff

Jumping on the '95-S dime bandwagon, here is my offering... although not nearly as nice as Jeff's:

Vern and Darrell, Glad to see you were able to get together this past weekend. Vern, the '03-S quarter is all day 63 to me per the picture... unless you see further minute surface scratches that is not picked up by the camera for that picture.

• T

Mike - Congrats on the 2 new proof V Nicks.

Jeff - If the 05-S dime is anything like the 05-S qtr, it'll be a long time before you find a better one than this one. Nice raw pick up.

Vern
    l
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    Mike-

Nice pickup on those nickels; great looking coins!

I received a raw submission back from PCGS last week. Most of them were Barber Dimes, but I had a couple of Quarters as well. Here's an '05 S Dime, PC XF 45:

I've been looking for a nice raw (AU) '05 S for a long time. I picked up this one until I can find the right one. For me it's more fun looking for nice raw ones than purchasing one in plastic, but with these common dimes its a money loosing proposition. Oh well.

This 1905-S Barber dime is_ gorgeous!_

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

edited February 20, 2017 4:56PM

I was a little afraid that my '05 S Dime might get bagged for the damage on the "E" in "States". They decided to let this one pass.......

Here's another Barber Dime from my recent submission. Another raw find, a 1908 now in a PC AU 55 holder:

It's a common date, but I've had difficulty finding a nice raw one of these as well.

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin is an EF and it has a circulation mark, why would someone think it might get bagged? Circulation marks should be on circulated coins!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

edited February 20, 2017 5:32PM

Looking at your STATES "E" makes me think you were a little too cautious in your assessed concern! IMO, whether that was a light mark on the "E" or in the field, it would very likely pass. The mark may seem "augmented" to the viewer of the digital image you have because of the awesome pictures you take... but I would not be so hard on your assessment. That '05-S is really nice Jeff. '08-P is nice as well!

I've had bad luck......

I have a couple of 1905-S Dimes - "The Heir and The Spare" Collection:

photo 1905-S Dime PCGS 58 OBV - Hall_zpsg3a18bnx.jpg
    photo 1905-S Dime PCGS 58 REV Hall_zpshxpc1neq.jpg

photo 1905-S Dime PCGS 58 OBV Holder_zpsjedrpkjm.png
    photo 1905-S Dime PCGS 58 REV Holder_zpsnyo5mf16.png

Courtesy of Americana Rare Coins - Glenn & Steve:

photo 1905-S Dime PCGS 58 OBV Lg - Glenn_zps4jcfs3w9.png
    photo 1905-S Dime PCGS 58 REV Lg Glenn_zpszjiad6me.png

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

You got what I want, but I'm sorta patient.....

Here's another one of my recently graded dimes, a raw pickup 1899 S that returnded in a PC AU 50 holder:

I thought this would come back in a 53 to 55 holder, but for whatever reasons our hosts didn't like it as much as I did.

edited February 21, 2017 5:50AM

Jeff, What do you think that blue stuff is? on the reverse? not usual to see something like that showing in your picture in the recessed areas. A couple of very small obverse spots too.

Jeff - Perhaps our hosts net graded your 99-S due to the stuff on the reverse.

Vern
    l

Vern, that '13-D is essentially a perfect for the grade VF. Wow.

@sedulous said:
    Jeff, What do you think that blue stuff is? on the reverse? not usual to see something like that showing in your picture in the recessed areas. A couple of very small obverse spots too.

It's all toning. There are some very colorful areas on the reverse; 64 crayola variety. There in no gunk on it. The obverse spots are toning in a bluish/ green tone- they've been there a while. The question is will they bloom? I don't think so.

The coin very well could have been net graded for inconsistant toning.

Here's another one of my raw finds; this 1901 came back in a PC AU 58 holder:

Perhaps a little too much color on this one, but I like it.

Jeff...nice pick up !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

As much as I simply love Jeff's '04-O quarter currently in his Everyman set, I figured nothing might come close to it until I saw this PC40. IMO, just under the quality of Jeff's but close! in my estimation:

• dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

I'm stumped studying an 04s half on eBay, AU details cleaned PCGS. Offered by a good seller. Cert checks out. But the hair looks re-engraved, but only it doesn't look like a butchery, so much as just wrong. But tho overall the coin is hammered, there's no way it's a base perfect state hair that I'm just not used to seeing. Even proofs wave a different contour. Did PCGS miss something?Check it out, it's.....interesting.
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/AU-Details-1904-S-Barber-Silver-Half-Dollar-Graded-PCGS-805-/361910668573?hash=item54438e8d1d:g:5z8AAOSwx6pYrLo4&_trkparms=pageci%3A5041bc81-f8d0-11e6-9cca-00505697408f%7Cparentrq%3A64b76acc15a0a622961feaedfff02980%7Ciid%3A3

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file