Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice 02-s half. Looks like a Revick coin. I looked awhile for that date also. Pretty tough XF AU. Congrats
    Jim

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lenny, Some really nice, quality quarters there.

Dennis, I love your '02-S Half!

Jeff, Nice coin, nice picture!

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lenny has nothing but the best; the many years of "fine tuning" really shows.

Here's my 1892 O MS Half:

I found this one raw about 3 years ago. It's beginning to get some spotty toning that wasn't there when I had it graded.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:

I found this one raw about 3 years ago. It's beginning to get some spotty toning that wasn't there when I had it graded.

Isn't there a measure you can take with Pcgs?

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys

Mark- My guess is that PCGS doesn't have liability if a coin tones after grading.

Slow day on this the=read; here's my '97 O MS Half:

Obviously I had fun this weekend playing with Photoshop.

Wow, a very handsome '97-O Jeff.

Here is a more common 1916-P dime I picked up from JKT in the Fall of 2015. Nice XF:

• T

A good looking '16 Dime that served it's duty. Don't make my mistake and get it slabbed- not worth it.

• barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dennis - IMO the 02-S half is much tougher than it gets credit for. And yours is wonderful, congrats.

Jeff - I really like your new presentation format. It must take a fair amount of work.

Tim - Nice XF dime.

Pics for this AM, from Jim's No Headlight collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Jeff...I see you adhere to my philosophy - The Heir and The Spare ....
    Both of your 97-O's are wonderful.

Jim's No Headlight 02-S is also spot on...Love it !!

Tim.... If you have not done so already, buy a Dansco
    for your raw coins, as I also agree with Jeff, some are just
    not worth getting certified. That's a choice XF 1916 Dime
    however !

Part one of my Heritage Internet Weekly auction went off
    with out a hitch .... I hope to hear from "the Barber Brotherhood"
    that they were able to snap up a few of the Halves.

Mark...How'd you make out on the 1899 in 55 ? It sold for $550
    plus the juice. I had $591 in it. So, I didn't take as big a hit as I
    thought I might have taken.

Part two is tomorrow night.... Bidding seems weak, again....

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases

@MFH said:
    Jeff...I see you adhere to my philosophy - The Heir and The Spare ....
    Both of your 97-O's are wonderful.

Jim's No Headlight 02-S is also spot on...Love it !!

Tim.... If you have not done so already, buy a Dansco
    for your raw coins, as I also agree with Jeff, some are just
    not worth getting certified. That's a choice XF 1916 Dime
    however !

Part one of my Heritage Internet Weekly auction went off
    with out a hitch .... I hope to hear from "the Barber Brotherhood"
    that they were able to snap up a few of the Halves.

Mark...How'd you make out on the 1899 in 55 ? It sold for $550
    plus the juice. I had $591 in it. So, I didn't take as big a hit as I
    thought I might have taken.

Part two is tomorrow night.... Bidding seems weak, again....

I wasn't able to bid. Went to setup heritage account since it's been several years and they couldn't verify my BA k account fast enough. So no bidding for me. I was very aggregates. Damn it went cheap!!

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrkbrown87 said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Aside from asking PCGS to conserve the coin (and paying the fees for the conservation) or PCGS agrees that the coin is currently overgraded, there is nothing they will or should do. After all, they cannot help it if a dipped coin turns in the holder over time.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom,Have they quit doing reviews? I had a customer submit a coin at the FUN show 2 or 3 years ago and they improved it after turning in the holder but would not downgrade it. He was not charged for the service.

@TomB said:

@mrkbrown87 said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Aside from asking PCGS to conserve the coin (and paying the fees for the conservation) or PCGS agrees that the coin is currently overgraded, there is nothing they will or should do. After all, they cannot help it if a dipped coin turns in the holder over time.

Mike,Your 09-S has a happy new home in my set when it arrives! I got it a lot cheaper than I expected! That's are hard date to find with that look!

Looks like I am going to be at the ANA show in Orlando after all! Who's coming?

edited January 30, 2017 5:33PM

I'm hoping to go to the ANA show if work allows.

I had a couple new raw Barber Quarters arrive in the mail today. Here's a 1903 that looks MS to me:

I'm looking for a nice AU, but this is a pleasant surprise. The mark on the bridge of the nose looks like a die break; I believe I've seen it before.

Also a 1900 showed up today:

I'm looking for a nice AU 58; this might just fit the bill.

Jeff,Hope to see you in Orlando!

From the pics the 1903 looks like a 58 or 58+ and the 1900 looks like a 55 to me.

Keep digging up these nice quarters. I am very curious if the populations catch up to the Half's!

edited January 30, 2017 5:53PM

The '03-P looks like she was in a fist fight (lovingly speaking!). The '00-P is a nice Type 2 reverse... beautiful. According to my notes, Lange stated most business strikes were a Type 3 reverse.

@sedulous said:
    The '03-P looks like she was in a fist fight (lovingly speaking!). The '00-P is a nice Type 2 reverse... beautiful. According to my notes, Lange stated most business strikes were a Type 3 reverse.

I've seen the same die break on the '03 but I can't remember on which coin. I do believe it's an MS coin; no luster break. But if it comes in as a 58 I'll be happy.

Yes, the '00 is a Type 2 REV. Our hosts apparently can't discern the difference. But they do acknowledge die clashes on a few dates. How does that happen?

The 1903 quarter appears AU.

edited January 30, 2017 7:33PM

@TomB said:
    The 1903 quarter appears AU.

I'll be happy if that's the case! Unfortunately it will be Summer before our hosts play their hand......

Nice Quarters, Jeff. I like the 1903 Phila the most - almost could have passed for a circ. proof {?}

Sorry, Mark. I thought you handled your account with HA. You were a client before -
    I don't see why there was a hang - up !?

A couple of friends have mentioned meeting at Summer ANA - I'm up in the air about going..

Parting images before I hit the Hay...

I thought this was at least an AU 53 ... nope - no upgrade...
    photo 1905 o micro 10c copy_zps04jff7r0.jpg

My old Micro O - now in JMW "Beancounter's Barber Dime Collection"

1905-O Dime Micro O PCGS 58 photo 1905-ODimeMicroOPCGS58DualCloseUp.jpg

I really don't see a whole lot of difference between the two... JMHO !!

B)

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Found a '97-S dime reasonably purchased. I see a potential MM repunch.

Jeff, Darrell is pretty much right-on, IMO, with grade level. I am more impartial towards liking the color on the '00 although it is interesting to see the differences in strike between both coins. Another note: You may want to re-take the picture of the '03-P reverse to remove the piece of hair between A and R.

Mike- I think you were robbed on the '05 O Dime; it looks like a 55 to me.

Tim- My cat likes to help with the shooting sessions and likes to have a little part of him included in the finished product. I'll remove the hair before sending it in to our hosts or it might come back bagged for Environmental Damage.

Jeff, If the cat has hair that long, call the Guiness Book of World Records people. You then can sell photo ops, get more uses out of your Canon, and be pulling in some additional side-fundage for more numismatic purchases.

edited January 31, 2017 10:04AM

Coming up on Valentine's Day reminds me how much I appreciate you guys. I love this mega-thread!

edited January 31, 2017 10:29AM

@sedulous said:
    Jeff, If the cat has hair that long, call the Guiness Book of World Records people. You then can sell photo ops, get more uses out of your Canon, and be pulling in some additional side-fundage for more numismatic purchases.

Yep, my Cat is a Maine Coon cat; very large. His hair is a few inches long. My hair turned gray many years ago; I know it's not mine.

edited February 3, 2017 5:39AM

Looking at the beautiful '02 S AU 55 Half Vern posted yesterday inspired me to dig out the photos of mine:

It has really interesting "die chips " on the date numerals:

It baffles me how these may have been formed; perhaps from a drunk die maker? I haven't seen another '02 S with these wierd digits either.

Question for the crowd- is this a Variety or a Die State? If the die was made that way from the start I would call it a Variety.

@MFH said:
    Nice Quarters, Jeff. I like the 1903 Phila the most - almost could have passed for a circ. proof {?}

Sorry, Mark. I thought you handled your account with HA. You were a client before -
    I don't see why there was a hang - up !?

A couple of friends have mentioned meeting at Summer ANA - I'm up in the air about going..

Parting images before I hit the Hay...

I thought this was at least an AU 53 ... nope - no upgrade...
    photo 1905 o micro 10c copy_zps04jff7r0.jpg

My old Micro O - now in JMW "Beancounter's Barber Dime Collection"

1905-O Dime Micro O PCGS 58 photo 1905-ODimeMicroOPCGS58DualCloseUp.jpg

I really don't see a whole lot of difference between the two... JMHO !!

B)

Mike since it's been a few years I have a different bank account/Debit card than I had back then and I didn't change my info in order to allow time for them to confirm. My fault but I'm sure that coin will be on eBay sooner or later.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys

@JeffMTampa said:
    Looking at the beautiful '02 S AU 55 Half Vern posted yesterday inspired me to dig out the photos of mine:

It has really interesting "die chips " on the date numerals:

It baffles me how these may have been formed; perhaps from a drunk die maker? I haven't seen another '02 S with these wierd digits either.

Question for the crowd- is this a Variety or a Die State? If the die was made that way from the start I would call it a Variety.

This looks like a superb coin.

Jeff
    That is a very nice 02-S. nice skin
    Jim

Tom-

Thanks for poking your head in on this forum- it's always a treat to get information and feedback from an accomplished and experienced person as yourself.

The weird blobs on my -02 S Half date look like extra punch marks to me, but I would love to hear other opinions on how it might have happened. There must be other coins out there with the same marks; can anyone help?

Mike - Don't know about all of your halves in Heritage last night, but I really liked your 03-O in 40. Someone absolutely loved it and smoked my bid. 99-O in 45 as well.

Tim - Looks like a RPM to me on your 97-S.

Jeff - Really like your 02-S half in 55, and the "stuff" on the date makes it a variety worth having to me (and I'm not a variety guy).

Pics for this AM, a much more pedestrian 02-S from my collection, PC40:

Vern
    l
    edited February 1, 2017 9:36AM

Verne....did ya happen to notice what the XF40 13-S sold for! :wink:

Vern- No chatter on the date of your '02 S. A very nice looking coin, however. Do I see spots of PVC on the reverse?

I looked through all the '02 S coins listed on eBay (above F condition) and in Heritage sold listings; I can't find another '02 S with the wierd blobs on the digits of the date. I have to believe there are a bunch of them out there?

@amwldcoin said:

It sold for $550 - I had $545 into it...whoop ...whoop...I made $5.00

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    edited February 1, 2017 1:38PM

My old 1902-S - sold in 8/2011

1902-S Half PCGS 58 photo 1902-SHalfPCGS58dual.jpg

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

13-S can be a tough coin to find high grade circ. A few too many hits for me but still a nice coin. Somebody did well.

edited February 1, 2017 2:38PM

646.25 with the juice! Mike! You should be getting at least 105% of hammer. If not let me consign for you if you sell again!

@MFH said:

@amwldcoin said:

edited February 1, 2017 2:46PM

Here's my 02-S

Jeff,I'll have to take a close look...looks like it has the start of the chips in the date yours has. I wanna say I have seen one like yours....but you know what age does to the brain!

Vern, beautiful mid-grade '02-S half... love the quality.

Mike, That former '02-S in 58 seems flashy with pleasing surfaces. Thanks for sharing.

Jeff, I have seen in some stamping machines before where slag can build up between the material being stamped and the die that the material is being pressed against. If the die is dull and not sharp, this sort of thing might happen raising extra material that would show up near the recessed edges... but we would usually find the slag to be perpendicular to the object material. Now if that extra material is not removed and is built up in there. It may restamp or show-up especially if subsequent strike impacts are not full? - with regards to later, subsequent object stiking. Guessing here.

I> @sedulous said:

Vern, beautiful mid-grade '02-S half... love the quality.

Mike, That former '02-S in 58 seems flashy with pleasing surfaces. Thanks for sharing.

Jeff, I have seen in some stamping machines before where slag can build up between the material being stamped and the die that the material is being pressed against. If the die is dull and not sharp, this sort of thing might happen raising extra material that would show up near the recessed edges... but we would usually find the slag to be perpendicular to the object material. Now if that extra material is not removed and is built up in there. It may restamp or show-up especially if subsequent strike impacts are not full? - with regards to later, subsequent object stiking. Guessing here.

I don't see the blobs as "extra metal" being "pressed in". If so, how would the balance of the numerals been so sharply struck w/o contact with the die? I still think the die was either chipped or when the date was stamped the guy was drunk and hit it many times. It wasn't caused by a die clash; the blobs are at the low part of the die only. I also don't see how the blobs would just dradually appear; what event in the striking process would cause only the low part of the die to fail?

I'm still puzzled.

02-S halves have a huge swing in strike quality. Reminds me of the 93-O. Vern's 40 looks better than my 55 on the right claw area. Darrell, I don't think they ate their Wheaties when they made our coins. Jeff, your coin has a sharp a strike as any I have seen.
    Jim

edited February 1, 2017 10:30PM

@amwldcoin said:
    646.25 with the juice! Mike! You should be getting at least 105% of hammer. If not let me consign for you if you sell again!

@MFH said:

@amwldcoin said:

Darrell...of course I get a sneid from HA... lol...> >

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

I thought I owned an AU 58 1898 Dime - I do - but I gave it to my cousin's son - for his 1898 Date Set.
    Well...tonight my snipe bid came thru with this AU 58....

photo 1898-P Dime PC 58 OBV_zpsln98nwjm.jpg
    photo 1898-P Dime PCGS AU 58 REV_zpsawh4woac.jpg

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Nice pickup, Mike!

Here's my '98 10C that I found in the wild. It came back in a 58 holder:

Darrell - Yes, I was watching it. And IMO it was not as nice as the one I got from you last year, so I will admit that you were right about its pricing. See you in Charlotte next week.

Jeff - I agree with you, had to be some kind of die damage, nothing that could gradually appear.

Mike - Congrats on the newp.

Pics for this AM, found some old pics from my friend Elmo's collection (sold yrs ago), PC58:

Vern
    l

Nice coins Everyone. I haven't been to active due to work but I wanted to see if you guys had an opinion on this 05-S. Thanks Ms in advance

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭✭

@mrkbrown87 said:
    Nice coins Everyone. I haven't been to active due to work but I wanted to see if you guys had an opinion on this 05-S. Thanks Ms in advance

A lot of marks on the cheeks,

CCAC Representative of the General Public
    Columnist for The Numismatist
    2021 Young Numismatist of the Year

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file