Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

As a side note - because I was floored to see it, our BCCS Treasurer - Dave Earp -
    showed me his new addition to his Quarter set: 1897-S PCGS 55 - White - Center MM !!
    He casually handed me the coin and I was not wearing reading glasses - and at first
    did not notice the Centered MM. Another amazing coin - and I'm thrilled for Dave to
    have it in his collection.

I also spent time with John Frost after the BCCS meeting - at the BCCS Table in the Club Section.
    Amazing stuff there as well. A superb 1901-S Quarter in VF 30 raw - fully original - there was a
    young girl's necklace made out of AU/BU Barber Dimes and Quarters - which were lazer cut to
    show the face of Liberty and the surrounding USofA and the stars on the Quarters. John picked that up
    for a real song - I wont say how much.

There was a pair of 1892-O Halves - One Regular MM size and an Micro O - both raw -and the
    Micro O looked to be somewhere around a AG 3 or a G 4. A few contemporary counterfeit
    Quarters and Halves were displayed as well. There was a neat 1893 Columbian Commem Half
    that was masterfully reworked to be a locket - with an old picture of a lady inside.

There was so much to take in - I know I am leaving out many things...Oh yeah !! I saw Dustin Massie's
    display of an almost complete mid grade MS Half set - the 04-S was a stunning MS 64 - light golden
    toning.

Chugum and I are old friends - and he showed me the last coin for his wonderful Half set - a Proof Like
    with flashy mirrors - very clean surfaces - an 1896-O in PCGS 64. Its the only PL 96-O Half I have ever seen.
    His set is filled with MS 63's { even my old 92-O Micro O he bought at auction was a 63 } and this 96-O
    will look great included. "JD" as he is called, is a great guy and very personable.

Ok...that's it for now unless something important pops into my head ... remember us old guys have
    memories like sieves.....

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike! Sounds like you had a very busy successful show! Did you buy any of your half's back at auction or were you satisfied with the results?

• Options

Only two coins were on a floor session - the 1896-O and the 1904-S - both PCGS 40's.
    I made a bit of money on the 96-O - but lost a grand on the 04-S.

Eight Halves are up at Internet Only auction on Sunday { tomorrow } - which starts at 12 Noon - Central Time.
    I have those images posted on the BST...check them out.

The remaining three dozen Halves are scheduled for the Bi Weekly Internet Auctions held on Sundays and Tuesdays.
    No auctions have opened up, yet. I'll post my images along with auction dates once I know them.

Its well past my bed time...so ... Good Night !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

I really wanted to go after your 04-S in 40. Out of all 9 of my sets the 04-S in 40 I got from Scott is the biggest eyesore I want to replace. Wish you had given me a shot at it before you consigned it. I'm sure we could have worked something out and I would definitely have paid more than it sold for and you would not have had to pay a commission! If Heritage hadn't lowered the CC limit I also would have gone after it.

It just wasn't in the cards this time. Between things being a little slow and my dear wife punching a big hole in my bank account lately with medical and dental bills, I didn't want to deplete my cash reserves any further!

@MFH said:
    Only two coins were on a floor session - the 1896-O and the 1904-S - both PCGS 40's.
    I made a bit of money on the 96-O - but lost a grand on the 04-S.

Eight Halves are up at Internet Only auction on Sunday { tomorrow } - which starts at 12 Noon - Central Time.
    I have those images posted on the BST...check them out.

The remaining three dozen Halves are scheduled for the Bi Weekly Internet Auctions held on Sundays and Tuesdays.
    No auctions have opened up, yet. I'll post my images along with auction dates once I know them.

Its well past my bed time...so ... Good Night !!

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darrell- I didn't see you at FUN; did you make it?

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike - Thanks for the report on FUN. Sounds like you had a great time. Congratulations on all the V Nick newps.

Pics for this AM, CMM 97-S with tone, PC55:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Darrell- I didn't see you at FUN; did you make it?

Jeff,No. I guess you missed my posts when I said I would not be going. Just too many strikes against the show for me and it seems they were confirmed by a dealer friend of mine who attended. While he is more of a wholesale dealer he told me attendance was way off and sounds like he probably did about a third of what he usually does at FUN.

Too far to drive for me in a day. I don't do a show unless I can drive straight home comfortably.

Lauderdale is too expensive to justify with the amount of sales I expected(next post has a lot to do with it).

The position of the budget section was worse at Lauderdale than it was in Tampa!

• Options

I had a great time at FUN; I spent a lot of time behind the BCCS table. We signed up 8 new members and had a lot of people stop by showing interest in Barbers. Darrell, I had 6 or 8 people ask me where they could find nice Barber Halves; I had to refer them to JJ Teaparty since you weren't there,

I'm still working on my Quarter set and picked up 4 newps to fill holes in PCGS plastic. Here's my new '13 D PC AU 58:

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff, Glad to see you enjoyed yourself at FUN. Nice '13-D you have there. I like the die crack from the front lower portion of the neckline-bust through the star to the rim.

Vern, the '97-S in 55 with color is phenomenal! with a center MM as a bonus!

Mike, I took a look at the half dollars you have out there coming up for auction. Really nice grouping in mid-grades. You really were detailed on your report from FUN. It is kind of like being there! Thanks for sharing.

For today, a 1901-O in NGC F12...

• T

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

Tim- I have a hole in my set for a '01 O 25C. You have me beat.

• Options

I would be willing to trade for your '04-O in 40! in your Everyman set. Give me a shot at that if you ever get a 58! In fact, you may or may not know... I have two '01-O's... maybe you might like my other '01-O? PC20 (20282992)

• T

• Options

Nice 13-D Jeff. Your Quarter set is really coming along !

Darrell...I didn't have the time to notify everyone who might be interested in any of my Halves. it was
    enough that I had the time to post them with images in as timely a manner as I could allow.
    The 04-S came out of David Kahn's web site - and it did not CAC - after all is said and done. I lost a
    cool $850 on that. The other semi key in the floor auction was a nice XF 40 1896-O that I got from Arnie Heller,
    and I actually made a couple of Hundred Dollars on that one. { It softened the blow of the loss on the
    04-S in PC 40.} Another reason I didn't approach you is that in the past you were not receptive to my offerings
    for a variety of reasons. Hence, no more offers would be forthcoming. Sorry, and no hard feelings.

Vern - that's a really choice AU 1897-S CMM - Love it !!

I picked up a Bakers Dozen PCGS VF-AU Barber Quarters from my friend JMW - for my other
    friend Srotag's sons set... plus an 1892-S Ty 1 in PC 53 from Liz [ via Paesan ] Nice stuff. It all goes
    to CAC ...

I had bids in on a few "Back of the Book" Heritage auction lots - and got trounced badly.
    After all the V Nickels I looked at at the FUN show - I thought I had a good handle on value.
    Crazy bids - what's up with that ? - forced me not to chase a couple I really wanted.

I have been keeping tabs on the same dates and grades - about the same eye appeal too -
    on eBay. Well, after loosing out on a couple of the Heritage coins - I picked two choice V Nickel Proofs:
    1899 - PCGS PR 65 CAC [ for exactly half of what it sold for on HA.com]

...and another V Proof - but the eBay images are terrible - but at least if I hate it - back it goes:

On a bit of a brighter note, a few of my bids held - and I added two more V Proofs from HA:

1896 PCGS PR 65 CAM { No CAC - yet }

and an 1897 PCGS PR 66 CAC

Lastly, I decided to add a Shield Nickel from 1883 as a lead-in coin for the
    V Nickel Collection....

The timing must be about right now for the eight halves of mine to hit the block....
    Will edit - amend - this with a break down of how the Halves did tonight.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

@MFH said:
    Nice 13-D Jeff. Your Quarter set is really coming along !

Darrell...I didn't have the time to notify everyone who might be interested in any of my Halves. it was
    enough that I had the time to post them with images in as timely a manner as I could allow.
    The 04-S came out of David Kahn's web site - and it did not CAC - after all is said and done. I lost a
    cool $850 on that. The other semi key in the floor auction was a nice XF 40 1896-O that I got from Arnie Heller,
    and I actually made a couple of Hundred Dollars on that one. { It softened the blow of the loss on the
    04-S in PC 40.} Another reason I didn't approach you is that in the past you were not receptive to my offerings
    for a variety of reasons. Hence, no more offers would be forthcoming. Sorry, and no hard feelings.

Vern - that's a really choice AU 1897-S CMM - Love it !!

I picked up a Bakers Dozen PCGS VF-AU Barber Quarters from my friend JMW - for my other
    friend Srotag's sons set... plus an 1892-S Ty 1 in PC 53 from Liz [ via Paesan ] Nice stuff. It all goes
    to CAC ...

I had bids in on a few "Back of the Book" Heritage auction lots - and got trounced badly.
    After all the V Nickels I looked at at the FUN show - I thought I had a good handle on value.
    Crazy bids - what's up with that ? - forced me not to chase a couple I really wanted.

I have been keeping tabs on the same dates and grades - about the same eye appeal too -
    on eBay. Well, after loosing out on a couple of the Heritage coins - I picked two choice V Nickel Proofs:
    1899 - PCGS PR 65 CAC [ for exactly half of what it sold for on HA.com]

...and another V Proof - but the eBay images are terrible - but at least if I hate it - back it goes:

On a bit of a brighter note, a few of my bids held - and I added two more V Proofs from HA:

1896 PCGS PR 65 CAM { No CAC - yet }

and an 1897 PCGS PR 66 CAC

Lastly, I decided to add a Shield Nickel from 1883 as a lead-in coin for the
    V Nickel Collection....

The timing must be about right now for the eight halves of mine to hit the block....
    Will edit - amend - this with a break down of how the Halves did tonight.

• Options
    edited January 8, 2017 9:50PM

Mike! SMACK!

I will pay strong money for better dates but not commons! I don't recall anything you offered me exciting me. Pretty sure I scarfed up all your better dates tonight that had the look at a steal! Yeah...... I gotta scramble finances around but couldn't pass up the buys! The market is soft right now but I don't mind having those coins sitting and waiting

Edit to add.....If I had known the coins tonight would have went so cheap I would probably own your 04-S also!

• Options

Jeff - Congrats on the 4 barber qtr newps at FUN, especially the tough 13-D. Sounds like you had good traffic at the BCCS table.

Tim - Nice 01-O's, the VF20 really has the look.

Mike - Congrats on your newest V Nick newps and the qtrs from Joe.

Pics for this AM, from my raw set:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Vern, Love both those quarters. The '08-S is pretty tough to get any nicer than what you have there. The '08-O sure has a quality color and surface quality to it

• Options
    edited January 9, 2017 8:02PM

Vern- I like the look on the '08 O Quarter.

Here are a couple more new Quarters from FUN. First, a 1911 D in PC AU 50:

And a new 1911 S in a PC AU 58 holder:

Both of these came from Liz at JJ Teaparty on a multi coin trade.

• Options

Holy sweetness... very nice Jeff! you sure know how to pick 'em.

• Options

I spent a few hours on Saturday walking the floor with Carl Feldman, the BCCS Vive President. He's working on a graded (NGC or PCGS) AU set of Barber Halves. He picked up several really nice halves including AU 58 '00 S, '08 S, and '11 S- all though ones to find. Carl doesn't want to play the Registry game; he just want nice coins. It was a thrill for me just to be with him finding them!

There seemed to be more nice graded Barbers available than I remember from the past, but the raw coins in cases that will grade is almost non-existant.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had a great time at the FUN show. Found a couple upgrades for my half set. In total I purchased 4 nice original halves:
    09-0 XF40 CAC, have a 58 but such a nice coin.
    12-D AU58, up grade
    92-O AU55 CAC, another beautiful original coin.
    00-P AU50, again no upgrade but a wonderful piece for future trading
    Turned in a 58 half for a possible plus grade to our hosts.
    Will get photos eventually after getting with Vern who has headed South for the Winter, SMART GUY!!!
    It was tough hunting with the many of us looking for the same thing. Enjoyed meeting Mike after many online conversations.
    Special thanks to Lenny (Paesan) who proved a fabulous host. His New York city background proved invaluable in getting me to the Miami airport while avoiding the tragic event at the Ft. Lauderdale airport. Traffic was crazy, but Lenny is a pro at finding alternative routes. Lenny has an open invite in Iowa at anytime.
    Thanks to Dave Kahn for making time to have dinner with a few of us on Thursday night. Just a great time.
    Jim

• Options

Sorry I missed you, Jim- maybe I can meet you next year in Tampa?

• Options

Tim & Jeff - Thanks on the 08-O. It was a relatively recent upgrade.

Jeff & Jim - Sounds like it was a FUN experience. Congrats on the newps.

Pics for this AM, from Jim's half collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Let's try for pics again

Vern
    l
  • Options

That's a great looking '92 O Half. Vern, did you send it back to Jim or did you tell him is was somehow lost?

Here's another FUN purchase for my Everyman Liberty Nickel collection, a 1895 in a PC 58 holder:

• Options
    edited January 10, 2017 6:33AM

You mentioned, Jeff, you needed to go after the keys and semi-keys yet for your set... wow, in a big way! one of the nicer 58's I have seen with that '95.

Vern, even without the smaller O, the New Orleans Half you have is a little tougher per price guides when dated 1892... really nice combination of scarcity, grade, and color.

• Options

All great looking coins guys. Love the 92-O Jim.

My iPad is, for what ever reason, not allowing me
    to view every coin....I can't see Jeff's new 95 Nickel...

So...it's off to the lap top.

Vern, I agree with the others, that's a nice 08-O,
    and I wouldn't throw the 08-S in the Piggy Bank either.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Mike- You saw my new '95 AU 58 in hand at FUN. Did you post photos of your new Liberty Nickel that does.t belong in the Registry set? I'm trying not to give it away.....

• Options
    edited January 14, 2017 9:40PM

Well, if I didn't here it is !! PCGS PR 64 CAM ....
    Edit to add: I just found out (01/12/17) that the new 1882 Nickel passed at CAC !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff,
    We'll have to exchange contact info before next year. I have a twin for the 92-O half Vern just posted. Both 55s with the exact same look. Not sure why I bought the second one, but it will come in handy sooner or later.

• Options

I spotted this 1916 Barber Dime on eBay - it's a PCGS 58 - and it looks
    like a REV lamination....

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Now that's a WAY cool coin! Congrats on the great find. How many are there?

• Options

@MFH said:
    Now, I've told you of the nice additions and a few of the upgrades - but the icing on the cake
    was from Rich Uhrich's table. He and I had been going back and forth about a coin I have
    wanted for at least 45-50 years. When it's available, I don't like the coin or I can't afford it at
    that moment. Well, the stars aleigned on Thursday, January 5th. I finally have the 1st Exact Type
    of 1883 No Cents Nickel - but: dated .... 1882.... It's a PCGS PR 64------" J - 1690. "

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Although I could go on and on with another
    ten thousand words .... You get the jist of my experiences.

Jeff, I have attached Mike's previous post / background concerning his interesting '82 nickel.

• Options

A coin like that deserves a double post!

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Mike- You saw my new '95 AU 58 in hand at FUN. Did you post photos of your new Liberty Nickel that does.t belong in the Registry set? I'm trying not to give it away.....

Old men have no short term memory, I've discovered.

I see it now on the Lap Top.
    Nice coin, Jeff.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Jeff - Jim's 92-O would have been worth finding a way to keep. I look forward to seeing his 92-O FUN newp. Nice '95 V Nick newp. Underrated tough date IMO.

Mike - The pattern is a great way to extend your V Nick set. Nice coin, glad you finally took the plunge.

Pics for this AM, from my raw set:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFH said:
    I spotted this 1916 Barber Dime on eBay - it's a PCGS 58 - and it looks
    like a REV lamination....

I have been watching that one for a few days...nice one!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

Here's another graded Barber Quarter I found at FUN, a 1898 O PC 58 with a green bean:

Since this is one of the tougher dates and such a nice coin I couldn't pass it up. This was a Friday purchase; I'm surprised someone didn't scoop it up on Thursday.

• Options

Jeff, Stellar! A lot to like about that '98-O!

• Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here's another graded Barber Quarter I found at FUN, a 1898 O PC 58 with a green bean:

Since this is one of the tougher dates and such a nice coin I couldn't pass it up. This was a Friday purchase; I'm surprised someone didn't scoop it up on Thursday.

Super exquisite example Jeff. I'd be thrilled to have found that one.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options

Thanks Mark and Tim, I'm pleased with it as well. I don't think I'll be upgrading tat one.

I managed to find a few decent raw coins at FUN as well. I'll send them to PCGS in a few weeks; not enough coins to justify submitting them at FUN.

• Options

Curiosity got the better of me and I had to check out a fellow member's Quarter set.
    Which, btw, is coming along very nicely. I have to admit, I drooled over this date :smile:

...then, decided to compare his coin with mine:

I love the toning on his AU 58 ..... do I sniff out a swap ??

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

@MFH said:
    Curiosity got the better of me and I had to check out a fellow member's Quarter set.
    Which, btw, is coming along very nicely. I have to admit, I drooled over this date :smile:

...then, decided to compare his coin with mine:

I love the toning on his AU 58 ..... do I sniff out a swap ??

Haha. Jeff's is beautiful. I know he paid strong for that Beautiful 95-S
    Mike- I don't like white coins usually but I wouldn't kick your 95-S out of bed either

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

...Love the beautiful 1895-S Barber Quarters. While I don't have an image (yet) of my AU 58, attached (again) is my MS baby.

Craig

• Options

Wish more Barber Half's came like those quarters!

• Options

Mike- Don't you remember you gave my '95 S Quarter the MFH Rainbow seal of approval a few months back?

I had to pay WAY up for that coin, but I loved it as well. If you want to look at a trade get out your Crayolas and knock yourself out. We'll see what you come up with- maybe?

• Options
    edited January 11, 2017 9:43PM

Jeff,

It's hard remembering what I own, let alone what my friends own.
    Yes, I would have easily given that 95-S my Seal of Approval. I like the
    edited images as well as the True Views. Perfect looking 58, IMHO.

Guess, no trades are in the offing..... Please keep me in mind should
    you ever decide to shake up your collection.... I'm not one bit surprised
    that you had to pay up for that coin. It's a beauty.

Yesterday, I received my 1906 Proof Nickel - it's soooo much nicer in hand
    than the images. I bought it on line (eBay) on Saturday. It arrived on Tuesday.
    Coming in from South Carolina - I wasn't expecting it until Friday. Some times
    the USPS can surprise us !!

Today, I received my new 1916 Dime in AU 58 - the diagonal reverse
    lamination hasn't lifted (yet) and I hope the coin is stable in its new
    holder.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Craig...Pretty coin...too bad its MS ... :D

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Ok...I have been too busy to post my newer images...wonder why ?!!

This 92-S is now in the Srotag Kids Set

photo 1892 s 50c_zpsg8k9fb4s.jpg

As is this 1893...

photo 1893 50c copy_zpsuiqiuzjn.jpg

as well as this 94-S

photo 1894 s 50c copy_zpsawt6qpm2.jpg

...and this 1900-O as well...

photo 1900 0 50c copy_zpsef8qwaly.jpg

Ok... it is late - I get up at 6:30 to take the dogs to the Dog Park....

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Jeff - Really nice find with your 98-O qtr in 58. And paying up for nice coins is always better IMO, than getting a mediocre coin at a bargain. The nice coin pays a dividend every time you go to look at your collection.

Craig - Nice MS 95-S.

Mike - You're doing a good job for Srotag's kids.

Pics for this AM, from Paesan's Stash, PC63:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Love the new Dime, Lenny. You've picked up a couple of beauties, lately.

Speaking of Dimes - I just picked up two 58's I needed for my Everyman set:
    1899 - Phila - PC 58 { Not the prettiest - but a toughie to locate ! )
    See attachments...
    .....I cant get the images to post in the body of this post...wonderful...not

Ok...the next one is a raw 1915 that I feel confidant that will 58 at our hosts:

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file