Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark- Without the chatter I see it as a 55, but I think it would end up as-is in a 53 holder. Nice coin and original looking skin.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    Mark- Without the chatter I see it as a 55, but I think it would end up as-is in a 53 holder. Nice coin and original looking skin.

Thanks Jeff. Coming from you I have a little more faith in it. I also thought it would net a 53. Sure can't find them 05-S anywhere so

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys

@mrkbrown87 said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Thanks Jeff. Coming from you I have a little more faith in it. I also thought it would net a 53. Sure can't find them 05-S anywhere so

You found one!!

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another dime from JKT, a 1915-S.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

@JeffMTampa said:

@mrkbrown87 said:

@JeffMTampa said:

You found one!!

Well ya but I really would have liked something a little less chattery

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys

A nice album coin.

• MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Mark... The 1905-S is a toughie - but your's has a pleasing look. Regardless of the few minor
    cheek disturbances. I see no reason to grade it less than 55.

The only thing that does call into question of a numbered grade is the reverse stain on the right side.
    They might bag the coin for staining. Still... I like the coin.

Finding an AU 58 is extremely difficult...
    here's my old one from my first set -

1905-S Quarter PCGS 62 photo 43909f08.jpg

My current one - AU 58 - ex: Heritage [ 09/2016] :smile:
    photo 1905-S Quarter PCGS 58 OBV EFQY_zpsug5yhaji.jpg
    photo 1905-S Quarter PCGS 58 REV - EFQY_zpstsxxojbb.jpg

You're right...it didn't CAC.....

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark - The 05-S is a real toughie IMO, but personally I would pass on this one, don't like those reverse rim issues at all, and the cheek is pretty marked up.

Tim - Real nice 15-S dime from JT.

Pics for this AM, another of those oldies from Elmo, NGC-58:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Great looking '92 O Quarter, Vern!

David, I love the colors on your dime- exceptional coin!

• KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2017 8:40AM

Here is the 99-O Dime, that I upgraded.
    PC 58

UHR - Tremendous eye appeal, and only a 64 (?).

Kevin - Can't see your images for some unknown reason.

Pics for this AM, a new one of these has joined the "family". Unfortunately no pics until I get back to Illinois, so here's Doug's PC53:

Vern
    l

A new 1907 S 25C for you Vern?

Here's a coin I haven't posted before. I purchased a 1906 S Half in a NGC 62 holder at a good price thinking it might really be an AU. I cracked it out and sent it in raw; here's how it returned:

Yep, it's still in that holder.

Nice 07-S Vern... As is the 06-S Half, Jeff.

David...love the toning on the 92 Dime.

Kevin...good pick up on the 99-O Dime.

Not much new...have family visiting ....

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

I'm playing Vern today and bumping this thread up to the first page. Here's my BU 1909 Half, purchased raw about 2 years ago at FUN:

Jeff... Is that picture of the 09 Half a product of your
    new found skills in imaging ? All I can say is, " you've
    come a long way, Baby."

Attractive coin.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Thanks for the compliment, Mike. I learned the new presentation technique from "mercurydimeguy" on the PCGS Forums. I've admired his work for a long time; he took the time to teach me. Nice guy!

When I can find a little time I'm going to re-image my Barber Half collection; most of my images aren't up to par.

I feel compelled to post when this thread drops to Page 2.

Here's my 1904 BU Barber Half. I purchased it raw a few years back; now it's in a PC MS 62 holder:

Jeff- that 04 is a luster bomb and looks like no major hits. Why only a 62 I wonder?

NewP I bid on weeks ago and won.
    Pcsg Au-58

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys

Jeff - The new 07-S qtr is now in Paesan's possession. Such a tough coin. No pics until I get back to northern Illinois sometime in March. You sure doing well with the MS halves. Thanks for keeping the thread hopping.

Mark - Nice 92-O newp.

Pics for this AM, the half Darrell and I were alluding to a few days ago (I couldn't find the pictures back then), PC45:

Vern
    l

Mark- I wonderd as well why the '04 Half came back in a 62 holder. There are numerous hairline scratches from handling; perhaps that's what PCGS was critiquing? Great looking '92 O Quarter; I really like it.

Vern- that's a nice '13 S Half. Not as tough as the Quarter, but still a very tough to find (and expensive) coin!

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vern
    We will have to set up a March meeting when you get back.
    Jim

Vern
    We will have to get a meeting scheduled when you return.
    Anybody going to the coin show in St Louis this week?

Jim

Jeff - Thanks on the 13-S half. It now rests comfortably in Jim's No Headlight collection.

Jim - I look forward to our next meeting, even more than usual, to see your new 95-O dime in hand. Hope you find something in St. Louis, I'll be at a show in Charlotte this Friday.

Pics for this AM, qtr to match (almost) the half, PC40:

Vern
    l
    edited February 7, 2017 12:52PM

First of all, congratulations to Mark Brown for his Newp, a Ty 2 - 1892-O Quarter in 58.
    That's a nicely toned coin. Good score !

Still speechless over the great job that Jeff is doing with his images. Getting the entire Half
    collection formatted the way it's been presented recently, will be more than a labor of love.
    I am no photographer, as most of you know. I also don't have the patience to deal with what
    is involved it getting these images up for viewing.

Vern - the 13-S Quarter in "45+" .... Is this a new coin ? I lost track of what you have
    in the key dates. Nice coin...( understatement )

I see that No Headlights collection has a new 1895-O ( he texted me about it ). Also looking
    forward to seeing it's images. Congratulations as well on the 13-S Half in 45. A friend asked me if I was selling my 13-S in PCGS 40 as he had a client who wanted one in 45-53 or so.... Guess that must have been you, Jim.

I have eye balled an upgrade of one of my 55 Dimes with a nicer 58 and its CAC.
    I will keep quiet about it until the auction is over.

Family has departed for the Frozen Tundra of New England - so - I'm getting geared up
    for the next group to arrive !! I have a few weeks to work on a few projects...

Tough weather we've been forced to endure.... 60's at night and low 80's during the day.
    "Top Down Weather !"

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Hi Mike
    My new 95-O is a dime, no photos yet.
    My 13-S half came from Vern a year or so ago, the coin he posted recently.But always looking for extras and an upgrade. It's a tough half. Vern's quarter is fabulous by the way.
    Enjoy the weather.

I have 2 friends requesting my '13 S PC AU 53 Half if I can find an upgrade. I purchased this one in a NGC AU 53 holder and crossed it:

It is a tough coin to find; I looked quite a while to find this one.

I agree Jeff. Tricky to find in high grade circ. A sleeper in the set, price guide wise. If you find two....call me

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jim! Vernes a tough negotiator(took 2 or 3 shows for him to shake it loose!)! I thought I was selling him that 13-S for his collection. I sold it for $25 more than I paid for it around 4 years or so ago....before Barber Half's went nuts! I know who everyone is talking about looking for a 13-S Half. He would happily pay at least a $100 more for that 13-S!

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2017 3:59PM

I have this 53! That scratch on the reverse shield is one of those that is so light you hardly see it in hand if you hold it at the right angle! PS I think it is probably best described as a light scrape than a scratch!

Darrell
    I had an extra 13-S but it went to David Kahn when he found a 93-S in 55 that needed to move to Iowa. I'll be at a show in St Louis this weekend. You never know. Have a great day
    Jim

The MS 62 to 63 '13 S Halves seem to be available at a decent price. Tempting to buy one, crack it out, and carry it around for a while....

My biggest fears would begin to be realized as stated in my earlier posts if that were to become true... to satisfy needs in journeyman sets.

Mike - My 13-S qtr is a 40, that I was lucky enough to acquire a long time ago. It did spend several years in Doug's collection, as his only coin that wasn't at least AU50.

Darrell - The 13-S half was for my collection, and spent a few months there before Jim added it to his. Hopefully he will find the upgrade he seeks, and then it will return to me. Decent looking 53 BTW.

Jeff - Sometimes they can't tell the difference between a 58 and a 62, anyway. Good luck.

Tim - I wouldn't worry, I don't think it'll become a widespread practice.

Pics for this AM, from Milo's (hope your mom is doing ok) collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • boyernumismaticsboyernumismatics Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2017 3:31PM

Here's one sure to make a few of you all mad... lol

Recently sold this one on my eBay. Had it in my November PCGS submission that took until mid January. This one put a few pennies in my pocket. I have a sub of 27 more poors, mostly barber quarters and halves, headed to PCGS soon...

It's a 1900 PO01.

Vern- I agree that it's a crapshoot as to whether many coins end up in 58 or 61/ 62 holders. I cracked out several 61/ 62 Halves and submitted them raw. Most came back as 58's.

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here's another raw find on it's way to our hosts, a 1911 Quarter:

This coin has a slight rub; I'm hoping it will 58.

My latest submission from PCGS was graded on Tuesday (2 of them were Justins coins). This 1911 Quarter is coming back in a Body Bag; it was called cleaned (fortunately the only one of 22 coins). I'm going to need to look long and hard at this one to see if I can figure out what the graders saw- I thought it was a nice coin with original skin. Oh well- I'm still learning. :'(

@sedulous said:
    My biggest fears would begin to be realized as stated in my earlier posts if that were to become true... to satisfy needs in journeyman sets.

About 2 years ago I experimented with 2 low end MS Franklin Half Dollars to see how easy it would be to "circulate" them by carrying them around in my pocket (with a few other coins) each day. After about 2 months I gave up; the coins really didn't look different. My plan was to send them in for grading, but since they still looked MS I didn't bother.

I think it's a bit more difficult to artificially circulate coins than one would think; the little buggers have thick skin. :)

Jeff
    Always hard to tell from photos. The only possible issue I see may be the small black spots. Especially on the obverse. Might be viewed as "burn marks" from a dip. But with that said (I was stretching to find a reason) I was surprised it didn't straight grade. Another PCGS mystery
    Resubmit it
    Jim

I find that sometimes I look at coins I purchase at a good price with "Beer Goggles" on. Once I get the coin back from the grading room reality can set in.....

All part of the education. Nobody I know has graduated yet. Thanks for all your contributions to the forum

I agree, Jim. No one has graduated from advanced grading. Although I was awarded
    a certificate from Summer Seminar in Colorado Springs at the ANA, I could take the course every year till I get put into Shady Acres.

As a matter of fact a YN I met thru Glenn Holsonbake has taken Advanced Grading with
    Bill Shamhardt for the last five years and keeps signing up for the course. You can't beat
    that kind of dedication.

Should I ever make it back out there, I would like to take counterfeit detection.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

boyer - Not mad, just amazed. Amazed at the genius of the PCGS marketing department.

Jeff - It's always the luck of the draw IMO, what our hosts will say.

Jim - How true, no one has graduated.

Pics for this AM, was ANACS-61, now PC58, if cracked could come back anything from 58-63 IMO:

Vern
    l
    edited February 10, 2017 6:37AM

Vern, nice color on the '11 quarter... seems to me just cabinet friction vs. actual wear

One can purchase a AG to G 1900 Barber Half for less than $10 any day of the week on eBay. In a slab it would likely sell for $20 to $25. I wonder what a P01 sells for? And to pay for a True View Image? I guess I just don't understand the attraction of Low Ball sets, Guess I still have a lot to learn. :s

Coin collecting is all about what interests you IMO. If you are trying to make money as a collector, you may be disappointed. I don't get the low ball thing either. Just another revenue stream for our hosts. But to each his own. I also don't understand the fascination with Morgan dollars. With a big boy checkbook you could assemble the set at most major shows. And the toning craze....... won't ever "get" that. But with all that said, that what makes the hobby so fun. To each his own. Hope to see some of you in St Louis today or tomorrow.

edited February 10, 2017 12:19PM

My '13-S... a little more circulated action on this one.

I need a Staples EASY button to "poof" it into a 58. I was using specimens from this grade level to support my study on mintmark positions within year-date-mints.

Are there different mm positions on the Halves?

Absolutely... but barely distinguishable in some cases. I can see two distinctively on the '13-S mintmark for example in relation to tail feathers and the D in dollar. No one has really studied this in depth or put detailed findings to print. Publications might say "5 distinct mintmark positions on the reverse of the 1912-D" for instance but with no details of exactly where.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file