Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2021 4:37AM

@Jzyskowski1 Well-circulated change makes you think what items were purchased with that change over the years. Nifty!

Following up the recent N30 post, here is another one of my 1915-D quarters in PC40 (provenance: Lenny in January of last year). I don't own an '83 No Cents nickel...

• T

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my lone '15 D Quarter, an AU 58:
    <

<
    <
    And here's my 1883No Cents Nickel in a MS 65 holder:
    <

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins! Tim that 15D has character. Jeff your nickel is super clean. Doesn't it seem like Mr. Barber's liberty for this coin is much more feminine but older looking than on the 1892 rendition?

• Options

@jedm said:
    @JeffMTampa I think that 1900 will upgrade.
    I picked up my 1893 O today and she's much prettier in hand, with a blue iridescence - the color is only on the obverse, I tried to get a little bit to show in this pic:

Jed, Show us the reverse so the MM position can be seen!

I would guess the more frequent far right O mintmark position (there are higher and lower far right O positions too) but that is a guess. Thanks for sharing, Tim

I also have another '15-D in a PC50 CAC holder. Here are some pics:

This is one was a David Kahn and I subsequently have sold it (PC55 holder) as I am trying to narrow in closer to XF45 specimens:

By the way, where are all the XF collector grade specimens? I think the creek bed has completely dried up.

• T

• Options

Tim the reverse image was posted a couple posts back, but here it is:

• Options

The Fed was created in 1907 and a lot of labor unrest was bubbling up to a ferver - especially so from the previous year, 1906. The Denver Mint opened in 1906 and many of those were saved due to being first-of-issue. The 1907-D didn't have the same focus and I believe it is a good Denver issue, if you can find a nice specimen, for your numismatic portfolio.

• T

• Options
    edited December 7, 2021 7:53AM

That's a super nice looking '07 D Tim! ... Interesting that you bring up the1907 D, which is my most recent addition, just arrived yesterday. Not as high grade as yours, but it fits well in my collection all the same:

;)

• Options

@jedm said:
    That's a super nice looking '07 D Tim! ... Interesting that you bring up the1907 D, which is my most recent addition, just arrived yesterday. Not as high grade as yours, but it fits well in my collection all the same:

;)

Let me frost the cake for you @jedm Jed! I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

Tim

• Options

Show us your very first Barber coin. What got you started?. Here is mine: a raw '98-P quarter in Fine that I fell in love with on November 12th, 2010.

• Tim

• Options
    edited December 8, 2021 8:32AM

When I was a young teen I remember owning a few well worn Barber Halves (G to VG); no clue if I still have them. Here's the first high grade Barber I purchased in March of 1980 at a coin show in Minneapolis. I had recently graduated from college.
    <

<
    Obviously I purchased the coin raw as there were no grading services at that time. I remember paying $600 for it; a large sum almost 42 years ago. I have an AU 58 in my Everyman set, so this coin doesn't show in any of my sets, but it will likely be the last coin I part with. Some things were just meant to be.

• Options

I can't show it, but my first Barber was an '08S half dollar that I paid $3.50 for back in January of 2003. I sold the complete set earlier this year, and never had an image of it. It was probably a 12 or 15, just shy of very fine. It was my favorite in the Barber half Dansco.

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very first barber coin, interesting question, Tim. When I started collecting again in the late '80's, I did Indian Cents and Walkers. My records show the first barber I bought was a 14-D dime in AU in November 1992, followed shortly by an AU 16-D quarter and 15-D half. All three are long gone, and I can't say I remember any of them. It's neat you know your starting point.

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

After my 11/12/2010 1898-P Barber Quarter (raw purchase but later submitted to NGC), I followed up with this 1903-P (also purchased raw and later submitted) on January 29th of the following year from the same source. That was the moment I thought about the full BQ set.

• T

• Options

@JeffMTampa Jeff, that is a heckava first purchase! an 1892-S half dollar in that grade? but why? what was the motivating factor... did someone once show you a cool half and you thought about collecting them one day?

Also, that would be a 58 in today's holder.

• Options

@sedulous said:
    @JeffMTampa Jeff, that is a heckava first purchase! an 1892-S half dollar in that grade? but why? what was the motivating factor... did someone once show you a cool half and you thought about collecting them one day?

Also, that would be a 58 in today's holder.

Tim- I already had a few Barber Halves in low grade and was interested in them, but the '92 S Half I posted just spoke to me at a coin show. That was the day I decided to take on Barber Halves seriously and sideline everything else. The coin was much whiter when I purchased it. After sitting in an album for over 30 years I submitted it to NGC for grading, then crossed it at PCGS.

I remember I also picked up a raw 1904 S Half the same day for $200:

<
    It sat in an album for 30 years as well before grading. I sold this coin around 2015, but I can't remember to who. It's fun remembering this stuff; the joy of making a great find.

• Options
    edited December 9, 2021 3:40PM

@JeffMTampa Jeff, all I have to say is "wow" - that is really a cool background story - I really appreciate you sharing it.

By the way, I love both coins. Really nice.

• Tim

• Options
    edited December 10, 2021 9:31AM

What is one of your favorite Barbers coins you have ever seen?

Here is one of my favorite '98-S quarters I have ever seen in digital image form:

Here is my XF '98-S:

• T

• Options

Here's another '98 S to add to the group:
    <

• Options

I picked up a new 1900 O Quarter in a PCGS AU 50 holder:
    <

<
    This coin has a Type III OBV paired with a Type III REV; it upgrades the NGC AU 25 in my 1900 Hub Type Set.

I sure wish we could convince PCGS to recognize these varieties so I could stop making labels to stick on the slabs.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    I picked up a new 1900 O Quarter in a PCGS AU 50 holder...
    ... a Type III OBV paired with a Type III REV; it upgrades the NGC AU 25 in my 1900 Hub Type Set.
    I sure wish we could convince PCGS to recognize these varieties so I could stop making labels to stick on the slabs.

That is a very nice AU50 Jeff! congratulations on that pick-up. We need a BCCS Varieties Service / sticker or something.

• Options

Here is my Type III / III recently received back from PCGS. #43269799 here last month. Graded VF25.

• Options

Jeff I noticed your NGC 25 on ebay today, very nice looking! I was tempted because it's so attractive, except I already have a 25 of the same in PCGS plastic:

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jedm said:
    Jeff I noticed your NGC 25 on ebay today, very nice looking! I was tempted because it's so attractive, except I already have a 25 of the same in PCGS plastic:

Looks like photos from Dave Kahn.

• Options

@No Headlights Yes it is. Just wondering if this is considered to be poor etiquette to use other's photos? I'm just being lazy of course, (my photo skills are not professional at all) but still curious to know if this laziness is frowned upon in the community.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jedm said:
    @No Headlights Yes it is. Just wondering if this is considered to be poor etiquette to use other's photos? I'm just being lazy of course, (my photo skills are not professional at all) but still curious to know if this laziness is frowned upon in the community.

Of course, Dave would be the one to ask. But if you aren't using them to sell the coin, I wouldn't think he would mind.
    One of my favorite dealers. I was just commenting, I thought that it was his background. Have a great day
    Jim

• Options

@No Headlights Thanks for the quick reply. Next time I buy something from Dave, I'll ask. I'm sure it won't be long, he's definitely one of my go to dealers as well. So... now I know why it's tough to buy Barber quarters from him! LOL

• Options
    edited December 12, 2021 5:37PM

@jedm said:
    @No Headlights Thanks for the quick reply. Next time I buy something from Dave, I'll ask. I'm sure it won't be long, he's definitely one of my go to dealers as well. So... now I know why it's tough to buy Barber quarters from him! LOL

I've always held the position that if you own the coin, you should own the associated digital image(s)... that includes True Views. It is especially nice when you haven't paid the $$$ to buy and set-up camera equipment. That was my case over a number of years but I now have a set-up thanks to some mentoring from Jeff @JeffMTampa. If you ever have coins purchased from me, for instance, it becomes your image. If you don't own a coin but use an image from Heritage, they only ask that you mention 'Heritage Auctions' as part of any use scenarios. Heritage has been supportive as we search for images to describe varieties... would always mention Heritage if an image is used.

• Options

Newp yesterday, at a local show, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

@barberkeys said:
    Newp yesterday, at a local show, PC58:

Gorgeous patina Vern.

• Options

Nice pickup, Vern. A classy looking coin.

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi guys! My hiatus is over and I'm happy to be back. Hope you're all doing well!

Here's a nice half that I had the pleasure of briefly viewing before moving it along to a friend. PCGS AU-53+ CAC.

More coins, less government.
  • Options

Lenny- nice coin. Question- what has more value in the marketplace, a 53+ or a 55? One doesn't see a 53+ often.

• Options

Hi Lenny, great '13-P! Tough date, quality color. Nice to have you back.

Tim

• Options

Hi Jeff, I don't think the plus matters on a 53. I'd rather have it in a 55 holder if it was worthy. I hope to see you at FUN! Give me a holler if you go.
    Here's another that just passed through my humble little office and now resides with a friend up north. PCGS AU-55. Pix courtesy Barberkeys...

• Options

Those are nice halves! I'm still stuck on the quarters, just received this one today, thanks to Glenn Holsenbake:

• Options
    edited December 15, 2021 10:55AM

Lenny- I'll be at FUN Thursday- Saturday morning. I decided to stay in Orlando this year instead of commuting. I'll give you a jingle!

Here's the Barber Half in my Everyman Set that's been there the longest:
    <

<
    I purchased it raw from Glenn Holsenbake at FUN is 2011. That's where I first met Glenn and Mike Hayes (whom was assisting at Glenn's table). They invited me to come to the BCCS Meeting, and I've been a fanatic since.

At the time I was resuming collecting after a 30 year break, filling and upgrading holes in an album. This was a good purchase, but I remember I also acquired some problem Halves. There's a steep learning curve with raw AU coins!

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2021 11:09AM

Cute little 1908 Dime I won recently over on GC....What do you guys think? I haven't done much with the dimes in Mint state, have a handful of proofs, but I really like them more and more.

• Options

A pleasing look Eldo. Can't zoom in enough to see if it is one of the somewhat common RPD's?

• Options

@sedulous said:
    A pleasing look Eldo. Can't zoom in enough to see if it is one of the somewhat common RPD's?

Thanks Sedulous, can't see any evidence of a re-punched date. I must say, after looking at Collectors corner, and GC, other places, you don't see many nice MS Barber dimes for sale. I see a few 67's at stupid prices, but mid grade, say MS-64,65, 66 with solid eye appeal? I see none! Where are they?

• Options

@Eldorado9 said:

@sedulous said:

Thanks Sedulous, can't see any evidence of a re-punched date. I must say, after looking at Collectors corner, and GC, other places, you don't see many nice MS Barber dimes for sale. I see a few 67's at stupid prices, but mid grade, say MS-64,65, 66 with solid eye appeal? I see none! Where are they?

I can say the same about mid-circulated grade Barber Quarters too. Yes, I agree on the dimes in Gem 65. The supply out there all of a sudden dried up. I am so glad I bought what I have in 2020 in that I picked up a lot of XF Barber quarters last year.

• Options

Another good looking (IMO) coin that just dropped by the lens, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options

That is a handsome Half, Vern.

@Eldorado9 I have a few MS 62 and 63 dimes, but that's as high as my stash goes. Here's an 1892 MS 63:
    <

• Options

@JeffMTampa Pretty dime Jeff! It's got a real nice original look. Lot's of value in those grades if you can find them pretty like this one. I see virtually zero for sale these days, except a handful of MS67 coins at 4 and 5 figures. Where are all the really pretty 63's, 64's? Given the mintages, they should be all over the place, and yet....nothing.

• Options

Here's a newp that's going in for plus considetion in my next batch. PC-58 CAC...

• Options

Here is an 1898-O Barber Quarter addition for my XF set just purchased Tuesday:

(seller pics)

• Tim.

• Options

Lenny, My goodness is that '15-P quarter flashy!... and even adorned with PC58 and CAC hardware as well. Great stuff!

• Options

Another that recently slid by the lens, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Some really nice coins being posted.
    Lenny, good to see you back friend.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!!

Milo

What?!?! No Barber quarters in the mail today!?!? ... "heavy sigh" ...
  • Options
    willywilly Posts: 284 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up a Barber quarter in a little higher grade than I normally do as the pedigree on the label was Friend and every coin I have gotten with this pedigree was much better looking in person and this time was no exception. The coin is beautiful will lots of light blue color and luster. I was surprised when I looked it up on coin facts to see how high it sold for in the past as I thought I was paying strong money for it at this time. Have these coins really come down that much from the early 2000.

• Options

@willy said:
    I picked up a Barber quarter in a little higher grade than I normally do as the pedigree on the label was Friend and every coin I have gotten with this pedigree was much better looking in person and this time was no exception. The coin is beautiful will lots of light blue color and luster. I was surprised when I looked it up on coin facts to see how high it sold for in the past as I thought I was paying strong money for it at this time. Have these coins really come down that much from the early 2000.

Willy, What I wonder about is how many coins he had to go through over an extended period of time to find choice pieces like that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file