Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    My bad! I missed the replace part in your post!

Now you're advertising my eBay coin for sale!

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

:#

@JeffMTampa said:

@amwldcoin said:

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:

@amwldcoin said:

Hey Jeff, you may have mentioned that the new one is not an upgrade, but it SURELY is! That's an awesome looking 58 and is quite an upgrade in eye appeal imho. Thanks for the link Darrel ;) .

• Options

The Following Post Does Not Contain A Coin For Sale!
    <
    <
    I was fortunate enough to pick up a very nice looking raw 1915 Barber Half on eBay in July. I posted photos of it at the time; it's a very original looking coin. It sent in for grading early August and arrived back on Saturday:
    <

<
    The coin looked like it had seen light circulation to me, but I guess not. Since I already had an AU 58 it's nice to have a MS coin for the regular set.

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Living rent free!

More coins, less government.
  • Options

Here's a coin that is listed on eBay for sale- not mine. It looks fake to me- thoughts?

• Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

I think it is fake,the rims from 3 o'clock to 7 looks slightly filed,and the wave in her bangs look off...possibly tooled.
    Also the knot in her ribbon look off.
    The reverse looks real
    Maybe a real coin that has been cleaned and has some retooling
    40 people seem to think it's real

Rob
  • Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Edit:
    actually 9 people

Rob
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not trying to be too nosy... a 1913-P BQ with a weird place for a ding?

Obtained March 21st, 2014 out of Chicago, IL.

-Tim

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    edited September 28, 2021 12:46PM

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here's a coin that is listed on eBay for sale- not mine. It looks fake to me- thoughts?

Hair curls over the forehead are completely wrong. What if the coin was hobo-etched? For me, it makes no sense to make a fake 1907... perhaps a rare date, but fake a common date? not likely.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Hair curls over the forehead are completely wrong. What if the coin was hobo-etched? For me, it makes no sense to make a fake 1907... perhaps a rare date, but fake a common date? not likely.

Looks like a new D Carr piece. :)

• Options
    edited September 28, 2021 7:20PM

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:

There's an "S" on the back.

I agree with previous observations. In addition the ear looks big and puffy to me.

• Options

@No Headlights said:

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Why does D Carr get a free pass by not striking copy somewhere on the coin? Anything on the edge reading that might say "COPY" or maybe a Chinese fake since many have been found coming from there?

• Options

@sedulous said:

@No Headlights said:

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Why does D Carr get a free pass by not striking copy somewhere on the coin? Anything on the edge reading that might say "COPY" or maybe a Chinese fake since many have been found coming from there?

Perhaps because D Carr's copies carry a fictitious date? They're not trying to be a fake of something real.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

@sedulous said:

@No Headlights said:

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Perhaps because D Carr's copies carry a fictitious date? They're not trying to be a fake of something real.

I agree. I have zero interest in his stuff, but he isn't doing anything wrong.

• Options

I have one of his 1916 Half Dollars. The interesting thing about them is they were struck on original Barber Half Dollars. One can say they are authentic but damaged.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@No Headlights said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@sedulous said:

@No Headlights said:

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:

I agree. I have zero interest in his stuff, but he isn't doing anything wrong.

ditto!

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

@sedulous said:

@No Headlights said:

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Jeff, is there anything 1907 on half dollars that is considered not real? Whether P, D, O, or S... would the back of the half dollar be a fake then? most likely not a D. Carr specimen then but a Chinese fake?

• Options

I really didn't pay attention to the reverse, but here it is:

It looks wizzed to me. Maybe it's authentic but re-engraved?

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    I really didn't pay attention to the reverse, but here it is:

It looks wizzed to me. Maybe it's authentic but re-engraved?

So an '07-S as you stated earlier Jeff. Per Jim's comment, then it has no way to be a D. Carr piece. "Fat Ear" on the obverse... I wonder how that can be "re-engraved". You do provide an interesting piece for discussion Jeff. I agree with Vern, fake... but I don't get why a 1907-S. Probably a Chinese fake since we have seen versions before... but who knows.

• Options

The 07-S is a tough date. If real, not by the way it would be a pricey coin. I know of a nice 07-S residing in Illinois.:)

• Options

Fresh pic of this '92-P quarter PC58...

• Tim

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

PC45:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

Some fresh pics for your fall Saturday morning!

1916-P BQ in XF

1916-D BQ in XF

• T

• Options

Newp from Lenny:

• Options

@barberkeys said:
    PC45:

Now, that one is real. And real nice!!

• Options
    stevefromnestevefromne Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I have been a collector since 1967, have assembled many series, and am working on a Barber Half set, VF-AU, along with a couple of MS halves. About 90% done, including about a dozen from Darrell. Been following this thread for some time, and
    it's always a good read.

Vern's 07-S is gorgeous, the same can't be said for the other one on this page.

The good news : it's genuine.

The bad news : https://coins.ha.com/itm/barber-half-dollars/half-dollars/1907-s-50c-reengraved-whizzed-anacs-xf40-details-mintage-1-250-000-pcgs-6511-/a/132050-23411.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Sold last December for $ 252.00.

Steve

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2021 6:51AM

Nice work Sherlock! @stevefromne :) Welcome to the thread. You've chosen a VERY challenging collection goal, and I wish you all the best in your journey. I completed the set in G-F and had a bunch of fun doing it.

• Options
    edited October 3, 2021 9:44AM

Welcome @stevefromne! Thanks for figuring out the '07 S Half; great sleuthing. Putting together a
    XF to AU Half set is achievable.

• Options

Welcome @stevefromne ! Cool-looking when done I am sure!

Starting to image some of my raw dimes and further evaluate them.

• Options

One of my favorites with interesting mint-produced lamination above the 1 in the date. Great coloration. Obtained in the Branson, MO coin shop over vacation a few years ago.

• Options

@stevefromne said:
    Hello all,

I have been a collector since 1967, have assembled many series, and am working on a Barber Half set, VF-AU, along with a couple of MS halves. About 90% done, including about a dozen from Darrell. Been following this thread for some time, and
    it's always a good read.

The bad news : https://coins.ha.com/itm/barber-half-dollars/half-dollars/1907-s-50c-reengraved-whizzed-anacs-xf40-details-mintage-1-250-000-pcgs-6511-/a/132050-23411.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Steve

The ugly manipulated '07 S Half sold for $417; a nice tidy profit for a not very nice person:
    https://ebay.com/itm/154624864352?hash=item24005c3060%3Ag%3AgWEAAOSwWc1hTi1A&nma=true&si=CZjiZ0LDE9SENf6rPwD7KTpbeEg%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557<
    <
    Someone's not going to be happy.....

• Options

@stevefromne said:
    Hello all,

it's always a good read.

Steve

Good luck with the hunt Steve. I have put together two sets of Barber halves in xf-au over the years. I have moved on to other coin pursuits, but the Barber halves are a fun series.

• Options
    edited October 5, 2021 12:01PM

This XF-AU 1908-D Barber Dime has a RPD. The year 1908 is replete with many RPD's in the dimes.

1905-P

• T

• Options

I like the lengthy cud on the bridge of the nose for this 1896-P Barber Dime.

• Tim

• Options

The 1909-O Barber Quarter is not as difficult in Fine grades compared to XF / AU. However, in the CAC-approved population realm, only a few are in existence... 8 of them in F12.

• T

• Options

Happy Friday!
    <
    <
    Here's a pair of 1892 O Halves from my stash:
    <
    <

<
    <
    The MS coin was a raw find; the AU 58 coin came in the current holder (with the CAC sticker) from the Sunshine collection. I've had both coins for6 to 8 years. Nothing new, but it's nice to revisit old friends now and then.

• Options

this deserves a bump

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

Love the coins everyone! @JeffMTampa... Jeff, great job as always picking out superior coins.

• Options

This deserves a bump

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    edited October 9, 2021 6:37PM

My now grown-up YN added this coin to his essentially white high-end AU Barber Dime Everyman set recently.

• T

• Options

I certainly can't top the post of @Eldorado9 , so I'll post something simple instead to "normailze" the thread:
    <
    <
    Here's a raw 1908 D Dime that arrived in the mail over the weekend:

<
    I'm hoping this will come back in a 58 holder when I get around to submitting it.

• Options

Superb Gem 1906-P Barber Quarter just got an upswing in CoinFacts Guide valuation. +71% ?!

• Options

Looks like someone bellied up to the bar.....

Not me.

• Options

Additional Barber Quarter CoinFacts Guide value upswings today recently announced. Go to pcgs.com/rcmr for these:
    1907-S 25C MS PC45 was $225 now $350 % Change 55.6%
    1915-S 25C MS PC64+ was $950 now $1400 % Change 47.4%
    1907-O 25C MS PC62+ was $345 now $500 % Change 44.9%
    1910-D 25C MS PC45 was $175 now $250 % Change 42.9%
    1907-D 25C MS PC10 was $21 now $30 % Change 42.9%

The 1910-D was what Jeff was saying before on its toughness in XF-AU. This confirms it?
    @JeffMTampa was right.

• T

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

From my friend Keith's collection, raw:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

Slightly rougher than Vern's but a tougher date.

• Options

I reached a milestone yesterday with the acquisition of this 1896 S PC 45 Dime:
    <

<
    <
    The last hole in my Barber Dime set has been filled, now the set is complete. Finished, no.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file