Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a beauty Willy, congratulations.

Just got word that our hosts called this one I acquired raw in August, a 50. Fair enough I guess.

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@barberkeys said:
    That's a beauty Willy, congratulations.

Just got word that our hosts called this one I acquired raw in August, a 50. Fair enough I guess.

They were tough on that one.

S/B higher

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2021 6:42AM

I am not meeting the grade here but trying to see if I can match the quality of Vern's '08-D (@barberkeys) with an ex-Swede piece :

EDIT: I just noticed the mintmark placement between the two pieces is drastically different. Vern's piece is left where the one I have is to the right.

• Tim

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

@sedulous said:
    Here is an 1898-O Barber Quarter addition for my XF set just purchased Tuesday:

(seller pics)

• Tim.

I received the '98-O in the mail today. Here are my pics:

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a nice '98 O Tim! Your pics really show it well. Seems to have quite a good amount of luster on the reverse especially.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim- nice sleuthing on the 1908 D MM positions. I checked mine; it's somewhere between the right and left:
    <

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Tim- nice sleuthing on the 1908 D MM positions. I checked mine; it's somewhere between the right and left:
    <

I see that... and it is slightly higher / more centered!

• Options

A couple of raw Barber Dimes arrived in the mail yesterday; I photographed them this morning:

1906 D
    <

This one has a re-punched date:

<
    I believe it's the RPD-005 variety from Kevin Flynn's book.
    <
    <1908 D
    <

This one looks like it might have a PRPD:
    <

<
    It looks like the RPD-2 variety from Kevin Flynn's book.

• Options

Newp, raw. Hope everyone has a safe and healthy New Year.

Vern
    l
  • Options

Great stuff everyone.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

I like your 55 as well Jeff. Being OGH and CAC, it probably would 58 by today's grading standards. Sticking with Jeff's end-of-year theme, here is my latest purchase to close out the year leveraging Lenny's @paesan help. It just arrived today:

1902-O BQ for my PCGS VF30 set:

Happy New Year everyone!

• Tim

• Options

Moving the thread, 1896-S in PC30...

Photograde example courtesy of Collectors Universe.

• Options

Back to Liberty Nickels, here's my 1885 PC AU 58:
    <

<
    For some reason Liberty Nickels aren't as exciting to me as the other Barber series.

• Options

Tim - Nice 96-S.

Jeff - I know what you mean about V Nicks. Nice '85.

Vern
    l
  • Options

You know it's kinda the same here with the V nickels. But, hey an 1885, that's a different thing all together! That one is superb.

• Options
    edited January 5, 2022 7:40AM

From the Dark Corner, an "Authenticated" Counterfeit 1901-S Barber Quarter
    https://coinweek.com/us-coins/from-the-dark-corner-an-authenticated-counterfeit-1901-s-barber-quarter/

• Options

Great article- thanks for posting, Tim.

Did we ever figure out who owned the fake 1901 S?

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Great article- thanks for posting, Tim.

Did we ever figure out who owned the fake 1901 S?

Not me

• Options

Has anyone heard yet about the Everyman Mint State Registry including Barber issues? it is new. Not just to 58's anymore but you can top out at MS64.

• Options

@sedulous said:
    Has anyone heard yet about the Everyman Mint State Registry including Barber issues? it is new. Not just to 58's anymore but you can top out at MS64.

I know nothing about it. Is published information available, or is this just a rumor?

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2022 5:59PM

@JeffMTampa said:

@sedulous said:

I know nothing about it. Is published information available, or is this just a rumor?

Go to the registry. The Flying Eagle includes the '56 cent. Now there is an everyman coin.

I do not see the Barber series listed (yet), but given what is there, I am sure they will.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

@dbldie55 said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@sedulous said:

Go to the registry...
    I do not see the Barber series listed (yet), but given what is there, I am sure they will.

Guys. It is out there... here are the quarters:

• Options
    edited January 8, 2022 6:31PM

National Numismatic Collection at the Smithsonian has this 1891 Barber Half Dollar pattern.

The one negative about this set-up is you can't see the Reverse.

Obtained more images elsewhere:

• Options

I found the new Everyman MS sets for Liberty Nickels and Barber Quarters. It looks like the MS 64 coin is the new AU 58!

I didn't find Everyman MS sets for the Barber Halves or Dimes; perhaps they're forthcoming?

• Options

The FUN convention was fantastic (as long as you're not a Barber collector)! About 20% of the tables were empty (no show dealers), but those that attended had a fantastic show. Many dealers said their inventory was wiped out on Thursday.
    Darrell was there with his stash of Barbers- more than all the other tables combined. I didn't find any Barber Half Dollars that interested me, but I did purchase a couple of Barber Quarters.
    <
    Here's an 1892 in a PCI MS 62 holder:

<
    This is a Type I Reverse. I have a Type II MS version of the '92, so I decided to pick up this one as well.

• Options

Jeff @JeffMTampa I really like the look of that '92. Nice pick-up!

• Options

Here's my 1892 Type I REV MS 62:
    <

• Options

Super nice '92s Jeff. I'm sure you meant to say that the second one is a type II reverse, right? :)

• Options

@jedm said:
    Super nice '92s Jeff. I'm sure you meant to say that the second one is a type II reverse, right? :)

You caught me dozing!

• Options

Here is my favorite Barber Half Dollar in AU58 CAC. This one was offered for sale a year or two ago by Witter coin but I didn't go after it due to the $1100 price tag. I think this is really beautiful in presence:

• Options

Here's my other purchase from FUN, a 1900 O Quarter in an old ANACS MS 60 holder:
    <

<
    This is the Type I OBV paired with the Type II REV. Although this has been reported as a fairly common variety I have found it difficult to find a high grade example. This will end up at PCGS for grading eventually; it will upgrade my current PC 45.

• Options

Jeff that one just doesn't look like a 60 to me. Are you thinking of cracking it and sending it in and hoping for a 58+?

• Options

I am right with you Jed @jedm. Being an O mint, possible weak strike but boy that face-action looks slightly worn as is the upper right shield point

• Options

:o
    I'm thinking it will grade MS 64 to represent my Everyman MS 64 set! No?

B) I'll take any straight grade.....

• Options

@sedulous said:
    I am right with you Jed @jedm. Being an O mint, possible weak strike but boy that face-action looks slightly worn as is the upper right shield point

I think the shield on the reverse is just a striking issue, but I do think the chatter on the face could be wear. Whatever it grades, whether it's 58 or 62 or higher, I just don't see a 60 because it's too attractive.

• Options

@jedm said:

I think the shield on the reverse is just a striking issue, but I do think the chatter on the face could be wear. Whatever it grades, whether it's 58 or 62 or higher, I just don't see a 60 because it's too attractive.

Seriously, when looking at the coin through a loupe I don't see a luster break on the cheek. All the tiny "pimples" that pop on an MS coin are still there. There are a lot of friction marks as noted, however. I'm in the 62 camp, but I'm rarely correct. I don't think it will 55 or 64, and it shouldn't come back as cleaned. Although I believe the toning is natural, but the colors could cause the graders to question the toning.

Is there a technical term for the tiny "pimples" that show on an MS surface?

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

@jedm said:

Seriously, when looking at the coin through a loupe I don't see a luster break on the cheek. All the tiny "pimples" that pop on an MS coin are still there. There are a lot of friction marks as noted, however. I'm in the 62 camp, but I'm rarely correct. I don't think it will 55 or 64, and it shouldn't come back as cleaned. Although I believe the toning is natural, but the colors could cause the graders to question the toning.

Zits?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@jedm said:

Zits?

:p

• Options

Either way Jeff (@JeffMTampa), it will be a nice addition to your set(s)! - Tim

• Options

Recent newp. I grew impatient trying to find the right '93-S in XF so I opted for this NGC53 instead. Hope is it will cross. I would be happy with a 50 on the cross although value-wise, there is a large disparity between 50 and 53 per CoinFacts.

Photos courtesy of StacksBowers from this evening's auction.

-T

• Options

Tim- my guess is that's a very nice '93 S Quarter, but the photos aren't very good. They used a single light source to photograph it, creating over and under exposed areas. I suspect some detail washed out in their photo. The coin will look much nicer in hand.

Once you provide better photos we'll be better able to judge, but my guess is it will end up in a 50 holder looking at the sellers photos.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here's my 1892 Type I REV MS 62:
    <

Type 1 Reverse

• T

• Options

We need to figure out how to get PCGS to add "Type I Reverse" to the label. They put the designers initials on the label of a 1909 1C coin.

• Options

I hooked up with Lenny at the FUN coin show a few weeks back;; it was great catching up. I was lamenting on how my sets were making little progress. There was a shortage of both available material (to upgrade) and cash. Lenny suggested I might need to consider an alternative series to fill the gap.

While at FUN I find out on this thread about the new PCGS Everyman 64 sets. Both Barber Quarters and Liberty Nickels are included. I already had a complete Liberty Nickel set with the 3 keys AU 58 and the others between 62 and 65. I've been ignoring the set for many years. It sounds like the new MS 64 Liberty Nickel set might just be the ticket! I decided to upgrade a few MS 63 coins to 64 and purchase new 64's where I currently had a 65. Fun!

Here's a new pickup, a very bland 1883 "No Cents" in a PC MS 64 holder:
    <

<
    I have a very nice MS 65, so this coin doesn't really excite me. Perhaps I'll find one that does....

• Options

Jeff - I know what you mean about finding a set to keep the juices flowing. Glad you've found one.

Here's a V Nick I haven't posted in a while, PC63:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Very interesting flow lines on that nick.

• Options

jedm - Stressed dies?

Vern
    l
  • Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Tim- my guess is that's a very nice '93 S Quarter, but the photos aren't very good. They used a single light source to photograph it, creating over and under exposed areas. I suspect some detail washed out in their photo. The coin will look much nicer in hand.

Once you provide better photos we'll be better able to judge, but my guess is it will end up in a 50 holder looking at the sellers photos.

I took some of my own pics here on that N53 1893-S BQ. It just arrived today. Tilting into the light, the coin's surface has a myriad of colors but it does seem to retain a bit of darker-brown-presence as seen in the photos:

• Options
    edited January 18, 2022 9:14PM

@barberkeys said:
    jedm - Stressed dies?

Annealing gone bad?

(ADD: Not creating an off-color but the surfaces seem a little "bubbly" where the planchet wasn't brought up to the right temperature? / improper planchet preparation or something... what do I know.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file