Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike
    Like the off center dime
    Lenny
    The 97-O dime is a very nice find. Still think it's a great candidate for an upgrade.
    Jim

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vern- that's a toughie all right. Congrats!

I picked up a raw 1907 D Half earlier this week;

I'm hoping this one will come back from the grading room in a MS 63 holder (or so).

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2017 4:35PM

Was able to get some improved pictures for some quarters added to my Wayte Raymond album.

1895-S

1913-P

• T

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

Both tough coins!

• Options

Just noticing something weird going on with the nose on that '13-P. Thoughts?

• Options

The nostral does look larger than it should. The coin looks authentic,, however.

• Options
    edited April 3, 2017 9:29AM

Jeff, Thanks for the thoughts. Consideration options from most likely to unlikely in my opinion might be: hobo (doesn't look carved though), post mint damage, or the unlikely thought of a mint made die change (very unlikely)

• Options

Some more improved Barber quarter pictures from my collection:

1902-O

1893-S

• T

• Options

On the '13 25C I think it could be a die break on the bottom of the nostril; the top looks correct but the bottom looks flared down.

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff - Hope you get your 63 on the '07-D.

Tim - I think your '13 had a nose job. Post mint. I bet your Raymond boards are looking good.

Pics for this PM, newp into Jim's No Headlights collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2017 2:58PM

Recent Stacks auction acquisition. Don't understand why but every so often I am fortunate to get Mike H.'s luck of putting in a lower bid and still getting a purchase. But a '97-O dime? wow.

PC45:

• T

• Options

Sometimes the reverse is true. Same auction, '07-S PC40 quarter. Thought I had a strong enough bid but no. Did any of you recently pick up that beautiful PC40 1907-S quarter out of the StacksBowers auction yesterday?

• Options

I bid on a few quarters and halves at the Heritage Auction this afternoon. I was the 1st under bidder on every one; strong money for each. No regrets, I'm trying to learn to take it a bit slower.

• Options

Tim - I've never been able to guess how an auction will go. Congrats on the tough 97-O pickup. It wasn't me on the 07-S qtr.

Pics for this AM, newp into Milo's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff, I too put in a few strong bids and got beat. I really don't mind at all and I won't chase coins on Heritage or other big vig auctions. It leaves me in a much better position at the coin shows, where I can see coins in hand and do some bargaining.

Paesan

More coins, less government.
  • Options

Lenny, Does this mean you don't find any difference in available quality between horsetrading with dealers and big venue auctions? In your experience, how important has it been to have trading material in support of your favorable negotiations at shows?

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    Recent Stacks auction acquisition. Don't understand why but every so often I am fortunate to get Mike H.'s luck of putting in a lower bid and still getting a purchase. But a '97-O dime? wow.

• T

That's rich... " Mike H.'s luck" ....
    If I didn't pay thru the nose - I'd have no luck at all.
    When did I ever get a bargain at auction ? Maybe before
    you were born ?!!! LOL ;)

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

My friend, SROTAG, sent me a text ...he bid on a Heritage lot last night and
    won a really neat 1896-S Quarter in PCGS 25 for his son's collection. Said he
    only paid Grey Sheet. Not a half bad looking coin for a 25, either.

photo 1896-S Quarter PC 25 OBV cac_zpsmnzu0qf7.jpg
    photo 1896-S Quarter PC 25 REV cac_zpsnzd3eh0m.jpg

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

I just finished trolling through eBay looking for Barber Dimes, Quarters, and Halves. If I become a billionaire the first thing I'll do is buy up all the AG/ G, cleaned, damaged, and Fugly coins and have them all melted so I never have to see them again.

But then again if I become a billionaire I probably won't be shopping on eBay..... :*

• Options

No, you would pay someone else to do it!

• Options

Tim, I'm not sure I understand the question, but I'll try to give my opinion again about big auctions.

My strategy with these auctions is to look for exceptional coins and put in a decent bid if its something I'd like to own or if I think I could make a profit down the road. I don't chase "coins I need" anymore. That's the big trap. That's how prices soar. All it takes is two guys to need one coin, and your screwed.

Having trade material does help sometimes at shows when bargaining, but that's tough too, unless you're very good on the buy end.

Not sure I answered the question.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2017 2:49PM

Here's a twist on Barber coinage....1st time I have seen something solicitated like this!

ebay.com/itm/1899-BARBER-PATTERN-for-PUERTO-RICO-60-cent-PATRON-Silver-Peso-1-200-Plata-/190702806061?hash=item2c66c5e42d:i:190702806061

• Options
    edited April 6, 2017 9:02AM

Darrell.... In the ANA Summer Seminar courses that Glenn and I taught a few years ago,
    we had illustrations of the proposed P.R. Pesos. It was my understanding, the design never
    got past the sketch stage.

That modern day "copy" ( or what ever you want to call it ) is a terrible rendition. Too bad Dan Carr didn't make the dies.

So, Mr. Kreis, how was Baltimore ?

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Mike - Amazing how tough it is to find a decent 96-S qtr in VF.

Darrell - First time for me as well.

Pics for this PM, newp into Paesan's Stash, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Mike, Baltimore was OK but not a barnburner. The seller does actually state it never got past the sketches. Where he is wishy washy is what it is made of!

Pasean...so how many 58 Barber half's ya got now?

• Options

Hey, I have a request... who picked up lot #17581 in the Heritage auction, any of you? I couldn't believe the '99-S NGC 58 CAC got bid up to over $700. What I need to find out is if I can get a more detailed reverse MM pic. Hard to tell but it may match my F12 '99-S I have been thinking is an unattributed S/S. I called Heritage twice to get a more detailed picture but they didn't comply with my ask prior to the auction. I will attach the NGC coin here (courtesy Heritage):

Here is the side by side comparison of both my F12 and the Heritage AU58:

I would be grateful to confirm my specimen and the NGC specimen with more detailed picture.

Thanks everyone. - T

• Options

Bummed that '99-S was too costly for my budget. I almost bought it anyway just to take a picture.

• Options

Bummed that '99-S was too costly for my budget. I almost bought it anyway just to take a picture.

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to thank Darrell for loosening his iron grip today. I sold this coin to him about 4 years ago and it's the only coin I ever regretted selling. I'm glad it will be coming back home. Also, a little more back story, it was a raw coin from one of Mike's sets he sold to Glenn years ago.

• Options

Wow Justin, that '02-S is so sweet. I can see why you wanted it back. Congratulations... it matches your set well from what I remember from your other pickups. What was the reason (or story) you parted with it in the first place? Perfect coin.

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    Wow Justin, that '02-S is so sweet. I can see why you wanted it back. Congratulations... it matches your set well from what I remember from your other pickups. What was the reason (or story) you parted with it in the first place? Perfect coin.

There were multiple reasons I've sold over the years, Building a family, not paying attention to funds available, etc. I think I built and sold out at least 3 times over the past 6 years. I even tested the waters last year with a collector and a dealer. The market being a little thin, I was able to hold out and I was in a better position than years in the past. I'm down to 11 for the set. It's going to be "finished" this time hopefully. I've put a lot of effort in to it for the last 3 years. I would like my set to remembered as one of the better sets assembled in F-XF.

• Options

Justin, Well on your way my friend. In my opinion, you are right there. Just a few more to go... know you will accomplish it in style! I am sure it will be a beautiful set once it is all done and a satisfying accomplishment for you for sure! How do you intend to display it when all finished?

• Options

Tim-

I bid early on the '99 S Quarter but dropped out early. Like Lenny I know when to stop. I did end up with the '01 O XF45 Quarter yesterday for a reasonable price. The coin may be a bit dark, but I like the look.

A recent eBay purchase arrived in the mail yesterday, a 1902 Dime in an ANACS 55 holder:

I liked the color on this one. I intend to crack it out and submit it to our hosts raw.

• Options

Mike is going to love looking at this '02-P dime you have when he logs in... look at the color!

• Options

@sedulous said:
    Hey, I have a request... who picked up lot #17581 in the Heritage auction, any of you? I couldn't believe the '99-S NGC 58 CAC got bid up to over $700. What I need to find out is if I can get a more detailed reverse MM pic. Hard to tell but it may match my F12 '99-S I have been thinking is an unattributed S/S. I called Heritage twice to get a more detailed picture but they didn't comply with my ask prior to the auction. I will attach the NGC coin here (courtesy Heritage):

Here is the side by side comparison of both my F12 and the Heritage AU58:

I would be grateful to confirm my specimen and the NGC specimen with more detailed picture.

Thanks everyone. - T

Tim-

Here's the mm from my 1899 S Quarter, AU 53:

• Options

Jeff, great picture. I wish Heritage did that in this specific instance. We will need to continue looking out for the separation in the top curve of the S like I have shown in the previous posts. Thanks.

• Options

Here's another raw dime that arrived in the mail a few days ago, a Proof 1907:

It has a few hairlines on the cheek; hopefully it will still grade. There's more color on it than what shows- Proof coins require a little more effort to shoot properly.

• Options

Justin! That was in October 2013! Has me wanting to go to the bank and see the coin I liked a little better. I gave it an 8 on a scale of 1-10. Probably has more of that pinkish-grey toning I love!

@LogPotato said:
    I'd like to thank Darrell for loosening his iron grip today. I sold this coin to him about 4 years ago and it's the only coin I ever regretted selling. I'm glad it will be coming back home. Also, a little more back story, it was a raw coin from one of Mike's sets he sold to Glenn years ago.

• Options

Tim - Hope you can track down the 99-S from HA. Wasn't me.

Justin - Your 02-S is a beauty. Glad you got it back.

Jeff - Congrats on the dime newps. Hope they grade as you'd like.

Pics for this PM, newp into Jim's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Darrell, I've sold of most of my AU Barber halves. I'm going to focus on keys in VF to XF instead of doing a set. I think the prices are too high for the pops on most halves.

Tim, Sorry you missed on the 99-S in 58, but I bet it won't take long to find a nice 62 at half the price.

Paesan

• Options

It's more than the date for me Lenny. I own 6 specimens of the 1899-S quarter already. What I am trying to track down is those MM of the '99-S quarter that has a doubled upper loop. Thanks everyone in advance for double checking within your own collections this phenomemon.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here's another raw dime recently purchased, an 1892 O :

T%he toning on this one is a bit splotchy on this one, but I still find it appealing. I would put this in a 58 holder, but it could go 62 as well.

The coin has graded- I was way off. It's coming back in a 53 holder.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Nice looking 1904 Nickel!

I don't have any graded coins to post at the moment, but I have purchased some nice raw Barbers over the last few weeks. They'll be off to the grading room in a few weeks. Here's a little tougher date dime, a 1911 D :

I'm not sure if this is a 58 or a 63- I think I see a little rub?

The coin has graded- it's coming back in a 55 holder. My bad.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here's another raw Barber Dime purchase, an 1898 S:

I think this one is an upper end AU as well; I don't think it will come back in a MS holder. The mintmark looks re-punched to me, but I'm not finding any information on it. It looks significant enough to me that it should be recognized. Any help?

This one graded as well; on its way back in an AU 55 holder.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    I picked up a few raw quarters from eBay as well over the last few weeks. Here's a tougher date, an 1896 O:

I'm guessing this will come back in a 30 holder, but it has a shot at 35.

I'm pleasantly surprised on this one; it made it into a VF 35 holder.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    I've been looking for a 1908 Barber Quarter for many months; I recently found a nice raw one:

I was looking a 58 but I'm thinking this one will get a 62.

This one is returning in the desired AU 58 holder.

• Options

I picked up another Barber Half Love token to add to my growing collection which now stands at 3 pieces! There doesn't seem to be many around. This one is cool in my opinion. I figure it was made for someone's 25th wedding anniversary. One of these days I'm going to learn how to cypher these funky letters! :smiley:

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here's another raw Barber Dime purchase, an 1898 S:

I think this one is an upper end AU as well; I don't think it will come back in a MS holder. The mintmark looks re-punched to me, but I'm not finding any information on it. It looks significant enough to me that it should be recognized. Any help?

This one graded as well; on its way back in an AU 55 holder.

This one in particular looks like the undesired machine doubling... you also see doubling in the ribbon as well as the mintmark. Nice coin though which outweighs every other consideration and is awesome I am sure to have for your collection!

• Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

My most missed quarters from my former set. Now owned by Vern, Lenny, or Milo. :'(

Doug

• Options

Here's one of my AU 58 - 1902 Dimes...

1902-P Dime PCGS AU 58 OBV photo 1902-PDimePCGSAU58OBV.jpg
    1902-P Dime PCGS AU 58 OBV photo 1902-PDimePCGSAU58REV.jpg

I love Jeff's ANACS 55 !!

My lightly toned '02 Dime in 64....

1902-P PC 64 photo 1902-PDimePCGS64Dual_zps233bcc3a.jpg

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file