Home U.S. Coin Forum

HOF Order numbers, time of order, and mix of HOF's thread...Updated Pops Report inside

Comments

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    There are plenty of autographs out there of the great ball players so it sure is possible that some dealers have quite a few of them on hand.

There again if Tony Larussa's is worth 10K on a bold HOF coin then what is Babe Ruth's worth, or Mickey Mantle or Ted Williams?
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are asking $10,000. Is it worth that? Lets see what the actual sale price will be. Babe Ruth, Mantle and Williams are certainly worth more than Larussa. "It's worth what somebody will pay".

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Yawn"

Maybe we need a new thread to discuss autographs on HOF (or other) coins. To each his own, but I personally am not interested in ANY autographs on my coins. I agree with both sides, maybe good or not for the hobby. Just sayin'....
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    image TOTALLY!
    I also would not be in the market for any autographed coins but some will be.
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only autograph I care about is the one when I sign for the coins.....image
  • Seems that some have realized the crossover appeal to NON-coin collectors of these HOF coins and have made the
    decision to market directly to them with the added benefit of picking up the autograph of their favorite player…marketing
    genius IMHO…

I am NOT a serious coin collector with my hobby focus being paper money and yet, as a baseball lover, I OWN
    THREE COMPLETE PCGS70 SETS OF THESE COINS
    and would LOVE a coin autographed with a HOF or FUTURE HOF
    player from my favorite team…and while I am not sure what premium level might get me involved (today's premium
    is too high IMHO), I could be a buyer if it was the right combination….

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
    For it to be marketable it would have to be done primarily with the lower class of clads so they would be affordable to a much larger audience.

It could be done with the silver and gold also but on a much smaller scale as there would not be that many people that could afford to buy them.

I myself would not be a customer as at my age I am not collecting anything anymore, its just buy and flip.

• joz350joz350 Posts: 185
    I wonder if if a person had a 70 PCGS or NGC coin normal label if they could send the coin in for a new label or, like FS, the "coin" only gets one shot at a label? Seems hard to enforce the pedigree of the signature. All I can figure is it will be a limited edition but again, like the first pitch, everyone (dealers) have the opportunity to buy one or 500 it's just easier now because the 30 day window is gone. Still, as a guy who buys these coins as an investment over bullion, having a few seems like good insurance of the coin holding value ESPECIALLY if bought at the Mint price.
    "Bought at mint price" is the key here. That is where the clads come in.

You can still get them and anybody doing a large scale deal would need that for it to be profitable.

By the time you buy them and get them graded they are already expensive so buying them off ebay is out of the question if you have to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars.
  • HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is not easy to find the balance between a coin that is priced right and easy to obtain for the individual collector and is
    also desirable and limited enough to generate profits and enhance sales for the overall market. The mint needs the big dealers
    and flippers to achieve the sales needed to invest in equipment and development of new technology to bring new and exciting coins to
    the collecting public. I think the HOF coins will come closer to this balance than any previous issue.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
    Excel Fun Continued
    Counts and percentages from today's population report

New FS slabs have dropped back as most that want them have sent them in. Of course there are an unknown quantity of sealed boxes out there that are eligible for FS and those will trickle in at the owners whim.

New gold completed since the last update have dropped to single digits except PF 70 with added 11 to the count. The largest increase was for the $1 MS 69 at 131 over the previous week. Non FS numbers will have to wait for the next update.

Percentages by MS and PF 69 and 70 grades run about the same as before. The first big jump in Non FS submissions completed numbers will show if the quality will continue or change either up or down.

The hardest grade to get remains the FS PF 70 half at 32.4% of halves graded so far. The most common is the FS PF 70 $5 at 67.3% of those graded.

Just got a strange notice from the mint telling me that one of my orders of 6 proof $1.00 is backordered and scheduled to ship 6/6.

That is the only notification I have received like that.

Just checked my credit card info and all my charges from the mint have disappeared after being on there for a week now.
    A call to the mint has the whole thing spelled out for me.

The charge that was made to my credit card was just a check to make sure the funds are available.

They are then taken off and will be re-applied when the coins actually ship this week.

Had me concerned for a while.
    This week ? or whenever. Last Wednesday when I called CS to correct the credit card info she told me

" Good news, your coins are ready to ship, watch for the tracking numbers to come " Around and around it goes !!!!!

Show me the tracking number.image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This week ? or whenever. Last Wednesday when I called CS to correct the credit card info she told me

" Good news, your coins are ready to ship, watch for the tracking numbers to come " Around and around it goes !!!!!

Show me the tracking number.image >>

I can show you a tracking number for a reusable mint bag if that helps.....
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
    "I can show you a tracking number for a reusable mint bag if that helps....."

Thanks, I have four more than I need or want.
    I did not want any but got the one just so I could look at it. I looked at it and cancelled the 11 others I had coming as it was not worth waiting around for the delivery.
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Order # 42926XXX just shipped......IT'S ABOUT TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • goldgirlgoldgirl Posts: 159 ✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if if a person had a 70 PCGS or NGC coin normal label if they could send the coin in for a new label or, like FS, the "coin" only gets one shot at a label? Seems hard to enforce the pedigree of the signature. All I can figure is it will be a limited edition but again, like the first pitch, everyone (dealers) have the opportunity to buy one or 500 it's just easier now because the 30 day window is gone. Still, as a guy who buys these coins as an investment over bullion, having a few seems like good insurance of the coin holding value ESPECIALLY if bought at the Mint price. >>

What are your opinions if you had a HOF from the mint still sealed and eligible for 1st strike would you send it in, or would you hold onto it for awhile?
    With all this Autograph talk I'm not sure if it would matter...

Thank You....
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My gold UNC shows it was shipped today. Only took a little over 2 months

ordered at 1:03 PM on 3/27
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
    My order from 1;16 just shipped from the mint.

It looks like my orders from 1:17 and beyond are still in stock and reserved.

That one just sold for $1030 so that will pay for the next 2 that are coming.

This is fun.
  • lccoinslccoins Posts: 24 ✭✭

<< <i>What exactly is " limited edition product with signature cuts from baseball greats from the past"?? Another way of saying authorized facsimile? >>

These would be authentic signatures. Cut signatures have been used in baseball card products for a few years now. You can see example of one on ebay, item# 161324542100 (this is one from my personal collection). Cut signatures are usually taken from existing signed items such as cards, photos, or index cards. As Miles said, the limiting factor for PCGS is their label size. It may be difficult to find existing signatures that would fit well.

-Roger L&C
    L&C Coins
    www.lccoins.com
    A PCGS Authorized Dealer
  • edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I wonder if if a person had a 70 PCGS or NGC coin normal label if they could send the coin in for a new label or, like FS, the "coin" only gets one shot at a label? Seems hard to enforce the pedigree of the signature. All I can figure is it will be a limited edition but again, like the first pitch, everyone (dealers) have the opportunity to buy one or 500 it's just easier now because the 30 day window is gone. Still, as a guy who buys these coins as an investment over bullion, having a few seems like good insurance of the coin holding value ESPECIALLY if bought at the Mint price.

<< <i>.

I believe once first strike, always first strike, as long as "you" don't crack it out. Remember all the First Strike UHRs resubmitted for Proof Like designation.

(l8-)>>

• JefferyJeffery Posts: 115
    Thanks for the answer L&C
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    So should we expect that these cut signatures would be available to any submitter?
    This could get real confusing before this is over. Who says these autographs are genuine?
    209pm order of gold PF and UNC shipped today
    6 of my 10 have shipped.
    NEW POPULATION NUMBERS

• PRIZ430PRIZ430 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    WOW...Looks like those First Strike PR70 Halves are looking MIGHTY RARE!!!!!....Guess a great big THANK YOU should go out to the QC people at the San Francisco Mint for making sure their facility has the LOWEST percentage of 70 coins out of all HOF minted.....
  • OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Card was charge and said in stock and reserved. Just checked the card and the temp charge is gone. USM still shows in stock and reserved. I have orders TONS of things from the mint, no change in address or CC. Is this normal?
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole

• << <i>Card was charge and said in stock and reserved. Just checked the card and the temp charge is gone. USM still shows in stock and reserved. I have orders TONS of things from the mint, no change in address or CC. Is this normal? >>

I believe someone said they are doing that to make sure you have the funds available before they ship. And they will ship in a few days.
    You got it Ferg1975. Consider it a test charge to verify the card is authentic and has available credit. You'd be surprised at how often merchants do this.

<< <i>Card was charge and said in stock and reserved. Just checked the card and the temp charge is gone. USM still shows in stock and reserved. I have orders TONS of things from the mint, no change in address or CC. Is this normal? >>

They did the same thing to me for 6 orders.

They have shipped all 6 orders and still have not put the charge back on my credit card.
  • lccoinslccoins Posts: 24 ✭✭
    7over8:

<< <i>So should we expect that these cut signatures would be available to any submitter? >>

I doubt it. So far as I know signature labels have only been available to bulk dealers.

pitboss:

<< <i>This could get real confusing before this is over. Who says these autographs are genuine? >>

From earlier in this thread: PCGS is guaranteeing the authenticity of their signed labels. Since they are a sister company of PSA, they have experience with handling signatures and the reputation to back them up.

-Roger @ L&C
    L&C Coins
    www.lccoins.com
    A PCGS Authorized Dealer
  • cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭
    Well, I just called the mint for the heck of it, and, as expected, it was less fun and less informative than calling the cable company. First, I was told that my orders (4:25 and 4:32 Eastern 3/27) would not be filled because they had been sold out. I then said that didn't make sense because I had already received some Proof Dollars, and that the mintage depended upon a combined total of 400,000, therefore it was not sold out at that point. He then went on to say the orders were within the fulfilled time frame, and that they would ship within a two week period of the "expected" ship date of 06/30. I'm not impatient, but just wonder what the big secret is. They ( the mint) should simply state that orders before a specific time would be filled, and orders later than that may or may not be filled, dependent upon payment, cancellation, and return issues.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
  • OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Card was charge and said in stock and reserved. Just checked the card and the temp charge is gone. USM still shows in stock and reserved. I have orders TONS of things from the mint, no change in address or CC. Is this normal? >>

I believe someone said they are doing that to make sure you have the funds available before they ship. And they will ship in a few days. >>

Thank you for the responses, appreciate it!
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole

<< <i>Well, I just called the mint for the heck of it, and, as expected, it was less fun and less informative than calling the cable company. First, I was told that my orders (4:25 and 4:32 Eastern 3/27) would not be filled because they had been sold out. I then said that didn't make sense because I had already received some Proof Dollars, and that the mintage depended upon a combined total of 400,000, therefore it was not sold out at that point. He then went on to say the orders were within the fulfilled time frame, and that they would ship within a two week period of the "expected" ship date of 06/30. I'm not impatient, but just wonder what the big secret is. They ( the mint) should simply state that orders before a specific time would be filled, and orders later than that may or may not be filled, dependent upon payment, cancellation, and return issues. >>

Wow, 4:25 was early for a sellout on the first day.

I have 4 gold on order after that time.

I guess the shipping is about done for the gold, now it's on to the silver.
    All this shipping anxiety and jumping around of date might be avoided if the mint changed their designations.

Order Received - when you place your order and it is in the system
    Order Pending Verification - while they verify authenticity, credit information and any other requirements and restrictions
    Order Accepted - when all requirements have been met
    On Hold - Call Customer Service - if ant problem arises during the verification process
    In Stock & Reserved - when coins are in fact minted and actually reserved for your order and not before
    In Shipping Process - when the coins are actually in the packagers and shippers hands. This would be the only time the Cancel Box would disappear.

The status would remain the same till an actual progression occurs. No switching back and forth.
    Keep date to a minimum because they only confuse the issue if they aren't met and especially if the jump around like a crazy monkey.

You really want them to make it too simple.

Govt doesn't work that way.

<< <i>All this shipping anxiety and jumping around of date might be avoided if the mint changed their designations.

Order Received - when you place your order and it is in the system
    Order Pending Verification - while they verify authenticity, credit information and any other requirements and restrictions
    Order Accepted - when all requirements have been met
    On Hold - Call Customer Service - if ant problem arises during the verification process
    In Stock & Reserved - when coins are in fact minted and actually reserved for your order and not before
    In Shipping Process - when the coins are actually in the packagers and shippers hands >>

...and where do those who are on the waiting list fit in? There are a BUNCH that do not even know if they are on this list.....just some meaningless shipping date attached to the order...
    Ah, good point. Add one between Order Accepted and On Hold:

Order Accepted - On Waiting List

It would change to just Order Accepted as you came off the waiting list to actual order.

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My order placed at 2:55pm #42938xxx just shipped today. 1 each of the gold.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

My order that was "shipped" yesterday AM still hasn't gone anywhere....just a created label

2nd day air "shipped" on Tuesday will probably get here on Monday
  • WDHWDH Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    The last of my order ($5 UNC, day 1, 13:00 Eastern time) was received today. # 429255**
  • JefferyJeffery Posts: 115
    WOW, I expected an increase in the number of gold coins for sale on ebay & not being disappointed. Right now there are 152 items for sale (using "2014 baseball gold" & removing bb cards). Will be interesting to see what the price equilibrium turns out to be.......
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>WOW, I expected an increase in the number of gold coins for sale on ebay & not being disappointed. Right now there are 152 items for sale (using "2014 baseball gold" & removing bb cards). Will be interesting to see what the price equilibrium turns out to be....... >>

What has it been running?
  • ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>WOW, I expected an increase in the number of gold coins for sale on ebay & not being disappointed. Right now there are 152 items for sale (using "2014 baseball gold" & removing bb cards). Will be interesting to see what the price equilibrium turns out to be....... >>

What has it been running? >>

Jeffrey

If you look at the total number of Baseball HOF Gold coins on eBay, there are 225 listings but only 53 PCGS FS graded gold coins..

But pickings are actually slim for PCGS FS graded gold coins without autographs.

I just searched for PCGS graded, non autographed coins and came up with this count of 53 PCGS FS gold coins:

o FS MS70 gold: 12 gold with only 4 non autographed
    o FS MS69 gold: 9 gold
    o FS PR70 gold: 20 gold with only 10 non autographed
    o FS PR69 gold: 12 gold

o Modern Coin Mart had 8 HOF NGC graded Gold Coins for sale
    o Great Collections had 28 HOF PCGS FS graded Gold Coins for auction

I would conclude that although availability has increased somewhat, the pickings for PCGS FS gold coins are still low.
    If one is looking for autographed, pre-sales or gold coins just arriving, then there is a greater availability.

Just my thoughts....

Edited to add total counts.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    1500!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file