Home U.S. Coin Forum

HOF Order numbers, time of order, and mix of HOF's thread...Updated Pops Report inside

Comments

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The real scarry thing about the populations is the PCGS slabs with the real autographs. From an article in Coin Week:

"Retailers for the hand-signed PCGS –graded coins include in particular L&C Coins, which specializes in modern and classic American issues, and at the wholesale level the coins are being marketed by Heritage Auctions."

Marketing at the wholesale level? How many coins were shipped to PCGS vaults to be held for "wholesale marketing" of the autographed slabs.

imageimageimage

EDITED TO ADD: L&C has 200 gold autographed First Strike 70 coins and 400 silver First strike 70 coins that do not even show in the populations yet.

and there will be selling of the coins at the "wholesale level" How many coins does it take to market at the wholesale level ? >>

When added to the PCGS populations there will be a seperate number and population for each player who signs according to what I have read.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I myself have lost interest in all these sales gimmicks by the TPG,s.

They have ruined the fun of coin collecting, in my opinion, by putting out so many different kinds of 69's and 70's.

Greed is the game today I guess.
  • Is a dealer resubmitting first strike for sig first strike labels?

They sure do have plenty on hand...

<< <i>Is a dealer resubmitting first strike for sig first strike labels?

They sure do have plenty on hand... >>

Not yet. They are most likely first shipments sent to PCGS vaults to hold for first strike autographs.

The amount of coins they received in these early shipments is unknown due to the secrecy of the mints distribution activities.

They would have to become in high demand and profitable before they would buy and resubmit.image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
    So basically they have not even made the remainder of these coins yet.
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe they have a price wheel like the mint shipping wheel.

Bullsitter, Have you seen a pricing wheel? >>

Who me? No way Jose. I got a call from the Mint asking if I knew about the wheel at CU, again I said "who me"? They said if they found out it was me they would cancel my orders. I said "no speaky de English" and hung up.
  • lccoinslccoins Posts: 24 ✭✭

<< <i>
    EDITED TO ADD: L&C has 200 gold autographed First Strike 70 coins and 400 silver First strike 70 coins that do not even show in the populations yet.

and there will be selling of the coins at the "wholesale level" How many coins does it take to market at the wholesale level ? >>

There was some sort of misunderstanding in the interview. We do not have final numbers from PCGS yet. We'll end up with around 120 autographed gold First Strike 70s. That'll be split between MS70 and PR70, and amongst 6 different players. So there should be around (10) 70s of each player in each type of gold. On silver dollars, 400 70s is optimistic. I would guess we'll have between 300-350, again split between 2 MS70 and PR70 and between 6 different players. So there should be around (25-30) 70s of each player in each type of silver.

We're not a wholesaler, so I can't speak to what Heritage is doing with that. I could be wrong, but I think we're the only ones with player signature labels on gold.

- Roger @L&amp;C
    L&C Coins
    www.lccoins.com
    A PCGS Authorized Dealer
    Roger,

Thanks for the update. I have already ordered one from you. I expect these coins will do very well once the word gets

around that they exist. Bought one to give as a birthday present to my son in law who is an avid baseball fan and player.image
    EXPECT AN UPDATE NEXT WEEK IN COIN WEEK. SEE BELOW

Louis

May 15, 2014 at 10:26 AM

I will have a brief response from the Mint next week, but the bottom line is they are making more coins and it will probably be a while.

They'll release the rest when the big boys email them and tell them that they are done.....image...just kidding. I know our Mint loves us, we got bags !!!
  • ChiSaoChiSao Posts: 134

<< <i>

<< <i>Maybe they have a price wheel like the mint shipping wheel.

Bullsitter, Have you seen a pricing wheel? >>

Who me? No way Jose. I got a call from the Mint asking if I knew about the wheel at CU, again I said "who me"? They said if they found out it was me they would cancel my orders. I said "no speaky de English" and hung up. >>

Alex
    I don't believe how high prices are going. Looks like it might be awhile before more are shipped.
    The population of first strikes will depend on how many were shipped in the first round.
    I think the new PCGS autographed slabs will be popular and create a stronger demand for the coins.
    They will be a great crossover for baseball fans. I purchased one as a birthday present for my son in law
    who is an avid baseball fan and a player in the local adult league. The first strike 70's are expensive, however
    when the remaining coins are shipped I think if the prices for those are lower they will be very popular.

I purchased a Cal Ripken, Jr. clad proof for two reasons.
    1. It was the most I could afford for a present.
    2. He will be more interested in the baseball theme as opposed to the coin content. I know it will be a HIT for him.

I would love to have a gold proof for myself, however the price is way out of my budget at the current time.
    If I had been brave enough to order more gold coins on the first day I could have purchased one with the profits.

For anyone who is interested, a full selection of the autographed " real signatures" are available at L & C coins.
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$1,825 hammer Gold Proof 70DCAM FS >>

That is ridiculously high!
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Customer service informs autographed labels for one customer only
    Not available in bulk
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
  • JefferyJeffery Posts: 115
    Question about signed coins;
    Who exactly is guaranteeing the authenticity of the signature? I am guessing it is the TPG because it is on their label & inside their slab. Anyone have any ideas?
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I find it distasteful what seems to be a new trend to create a separate population line for autographs. I simply cannot find a legitimate reason to do so other than profit motive and while profits are fine there can be a point where it goes so far that it hurts the underlying hobby etc. I hope this trend dies off soon.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

<< <i>Question about signed coins;
    Who exactly is guaranteeing the authenticity of the signature? I am guessing it is the TPG because it is on their label & inside their slab. Anyone have any ideas? >>

PCGS is guaranteeing the authenticity of their signed labels. Since they are a sister company of PSA, they have experience with handling signatures and the reputation to back them up.

-Roger @L&amp;C
    L&C Coins
    www.lccoins.com
    A PCGS Authorized Dealer

<< <i>I find it distasteful what seems to be a new trend to create a separate population line for autographs. I simply cannot find a legitimate reason to do so other than profit motive and while profits are fine there can be a point where it goes so far that it hurts the underlying hobby etc. I hope this trend dies off soon. >>

The way I look at it is as follows: ( Note: This is just my opinion )

1. If you don't care about slabs or first strike there are almost always plenty of raw coins available eventually if that is what you collect.
    and most issues are available from the mint at issue price.

2. If you like collecting slabbed or perfect 70 coins again easy to get or submit your own.

3. No reason to worry about many labels or populations if just collecting what you like and not worrying about your own profit.

4. If you are not interested in profit, there is no reason to complain about what someone else is making.

5. Modern coins are just one segment of coin collecting and does not effect the value of all coins in general or the hobby.

• OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    I sent some coins in to get graded. I never have seen before when you couldn't make a little money getting a 70. The raw silver proof coins are getting $160 now and a proof FS 70 is barely bringing over $200. Add in grading fees and shipping costs to and from and it is a break even. What gives?

• << <i>I sent some coins in to get graded. I never have seen before when you couldn't make a little money getting a 70. The raw silver proof coins are getting $160 now and a proof FS 70 is barely bringing over $200. Add in grading fees and shipping costs to and from and it is a break even. What gives? >>

I think most of the ebay buyers are outside of the traditional coin collector base. They have never heard of PCGS or NGC. They aren't familiar with PR, MS, 69, or 70 and they don't want to be. They want OGP.

• << <i>
    I think most of the ebay buyers are outside of the traditional coin collector base. They have never heard of PCGS or NGC. They aren't familiar with PR, MS, 69, or 70 and they don't want to be. They want OGP. >>

Yep, that seems to be the case lately... the OGP $5 gold on ebay seem to be going for higher prices than the slabbed ones with 69 grades.

So if you send yours in for grading and you get 69s instead of 70s, you are throwing away money.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Yep, that seems to be the case lately... the OGP $5 gold on ebay seem to be going for higher prices than the slabbed ones with 69 grades.

So if you send yours in for grading and you get 69s instead of 70s, you are throwing away money. >>

Why do you think so many request the original packaging including the capsules be sent back from PCGS/NGC??? I'm sure lots of 69s get cracked out and sold as ungraded... I've seen it happen.

I've also heard of 69s getting cracked out, put back in the OGP and then returned to the Mint for a refund (but that won't happen w/ the silver and gold baseball coins given the huge premiums).

• JefferyJeffery Posts: 115
    Thanks for the update about signatures. Thought that was the case but was unsure.
    Any ideas when we will see the next round of HOF signatures come out? There are some nice names out already, but if there is a chance to get on from my team (Hank Aaron) then I'd rather wait for that.

<< <i>Thanks for the update about signatures. Thought that was the case but was unsure.
    Any ideas when we will see the next round of HOF signatures come out? There are some nice names out already, but if there is a chance to get on from my team (Hank Aaron) then I'd rather wait for that. >>

We're still waiting for some of our first batch of signatures to be processed at PCGS, so it may be a month or so before we have another batch going. At one point I heard that another dealer was getting Hank Aaron, but I haven't seen anything concrete about that. I think we're likely to get Glavine in the future, but I don't expect we'll be getting Aaron or any other Braves at this point.

-Roger @L&amp;C
    L&C Coins
    www.lccoins.com
    A PCGS Authorized Dealer
    Roger @ L&C

Do you still have first strike eligible coins for another batch of signatures or will they be non first strike ?
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally would not buy any signature slabs, but to each his own. However I do believe the fan love of the "game" is a big contributor of the popularity of the series. It's all good for the hobby.

Any more shipments/notifications from the Mint in the last week? My silvers are staying solid at 6/12 shipping, but wondering if shipments are quietly coming out.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    None that I know of Wayne.
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New numbers from Monday, through May 18. Includes total orders to date, diff from last week and percentage increase or decrease over last week.

# Desc Sold Diff %age
    B31 2014 BASEBALL HOF GOLD PROOF 38,993 -3 0.0%
    B32 2014 BASEBALL HOF GOLD UNC 21,929 -3 0.0%
    B33 2014 BASEBALL HOF SILVER PROOF 286,693 -45 0.0%
    B34 2014 BASEBALL HOF SILVER UNC 149,965 -69 0.0%
    B35 2014 BASEBALL HOF CLAD PROOF 165,567 13,348 8.8%
    B36 2014 BASEBALL HOF CLAD UNC 95,704 4,029 4.4%

Almost no cancels of silver or gold. (Only 6 gold cancels? I'm not going to get my backordered gold proof...)

Clad sales are up 8K over last week's sales.
  • BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Ya know....all this frustration with shipped vs. backordered and FS date grief could have been eliminated by just waiting until ALL the coins were manufactured, packaged and ready for shipping before the shipping of ANY coins. The Baltimore release would not have started the FS clock and there wouldn't have been the feeling of collector inferiority because they got their order in at 108pm instead of 12:55....

It wouldn't be the first time that orders were accepted and the product shipped months later. Just a dumb move by the Mint.....probably the same decision maker that thought of "The Free Bag"

<< <i>Ya know....all this frustration with shipped vs. backordered and FS date grief could have been eliminated by just waiting until ALL the coins were manufactured, packaged and ready for shipping before the shipping of ANY coins. The Baltimore release would not have started the FS clock and there wouldn't have been the feeling of collector inferiority because they got their order in at 108pm instead of 12:55....

It wouldn't be the first time that orders were accepted and the product shipped months later. Just a dumb move by the Mint.....probably the same decision maker that thought of "The Free Bag" >>

UPDATE FROM THE MINT:

USM- “For those customers who placed orders directly on our website or placed orders through our call center, orders were shipped on a first-in first-served basis. Once the initial inventory was depleted, the remaining orders were placed on backorder. We expect to receive additional inventory for the 2014 Baseball Hall of Fame Commemorative Coin over the next month. Please be assured that orders will continue to be fulfilled according to our standard policy which can be found on www.usmint.gov.

In regards to the “computer glitch”, we are experiencing technical difficulties with the part of our system that displays the expected ship date for your order, causing the dates to move incorrectly. Unlike a computer glitch that is typically resolved in a relatively short period of time, the technical difficulties associated with our system have not yet been resolved. However, this issue will have no impact on the actual shipping dates.

Customers should expect to receive their products, depending on their order date, between May and July 2014.

A new order management system is expected to be operational later this year, but no specific date is available at this time. Once implemented, customers can expect the new system to provide a more responsive website, improved order tracking and issue resolution, shorter fulfillment cycle times and more shipping options.”

ANY DAY NOW !!!!!!!!!image

<< <i>Roger @ L&C

Do you still have first strike eligible coins for another batch of signatures or will they be non first strike ? >>

We do have a few first strike coins we're saving for future submissions, but not very many. Most of our future submissions will be non-first strike. We still have some coins backordered at the Mint.

-Roger @L&amp;C

L&C Coins
    www.lccoins.com
    A PCGS Authorized Dealer

<< <i>

<< <i>Roger @ L&C

Do you still have first strike eligible coins for another batch of signatures or will they be non first strike ? >>

We do have a few first strike coins we're saving for future submissions, but not very many. Most of our future submissions will be non-first strike. We still have some coins backordered at the Mint.

-Roger @L&amp;C >>

Thanks for the reply. That means the first strikes may be very limited and buying first strike eligable coins later for signature will

most likely keep the prices up for a while.
  • bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    I see that Goldmart just increased their prices on the $5 gold. They still offer the NGC ER PR/MS 70 pair of $1 for $400.

But the NGC ER 70 gold $5 pair just went up $200 to $2950. The Proof 70 is now $1450, the MS70 is $1650.

Will be interesting to see what their PCGS pricing is, it should be coming out soon.....

I remember on the 2011 Silver Eagle sets, Goldmart was the first one aggressively pricing those.
  • Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    My grades just posted, 5 70's out of 7 on gold, only 3 for 13 on silver & clad.
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My grades just posted, 5 70's out of 7 on gold, only 3 for 13 on silver & clad. >>

:
  • ChiSaoChiSao Posts: 134

<< <i>My grades just posted, 5 70's out of 7 on gold, only 3 for 13 on silver & clad. >>

Lucky!

Gold breakdown, # of MS Vs. PF.

Alex
  • Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Lucky!

Gold breakdown, # of MS Vs. PF. >>

2 of 3 Proofs, 3 of 4 Unc.
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
    71% is great, I know you yelled out loud when you saw those 70s.......yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee haw !!!!!

<< <i>Ya know....all this frustration with shipped vs. backordered and FS date grief could have been eliminated by just waiting until ALL the coins were manufactured, packaged and ready for shipping before the shipping of ANY coins. The Baltimore release would not have started the FS clock and there wouldn't have been the feeling of collector inferiority because they got their order in at 108pm instead of 12:55.... >>

sigh.

The Baltimore release did not start the First Strike clock, nor the Early Release clock.

The mint couldn't (and still doesn't) know how many proofs and uncirculated coins have to be made. Only that a total of 40K Au and 400K Ag will be sold. The mint won't know the true PF/MS split until most of the coins are shipped. (There will be cancellations and returns.) Minting and shipping all the coins at once wouldn't be possible. And seriously, have 100K to 200K boxes stored and shipped all at once? Talking about a clusterfunk waiting to happen...

<< <i>I've also heard of 69s getting cracked out, put back in the OGP and then returned to the Mint for a refund (but that won't happen w/ the silver and gold baseball coins given the huge premiums). >>

The mint has a 7 day return policy. If you can get the coins to the graders and back in 7 days, you're probably going to have to walk them to the TPG's...

<< <i>I find it distasteful what seems to be a new trend to create a separate population line for autographs. I simply cannot find a legitimate reason to do so other than profit motive and while profits are fine there can be a point where it goes so far that it hurts the underlying hobby etc. I hope this trend dies off soon. >>

New trend?

When did PCGS start putting out Mercanti labels? I know they had a bunch of Moy $20 UHR's 5 years ago. (Yes, the UHR was 5 years ago.) Probably others...
  • DaggoBDaggoB Posts: 333 ✭✭

Better than mine!
    One gold proof 70. One mint state 70. One of each 69.
    Silver- 4 69s
    Clad- 4 69s
    Shipped from our host today. Not looking to sell them . They are for the grand kids.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>sigh. >>

<< <i>The Baltimore release did not start the First Strike clock, nor the Early Release clock. >>

Didn't know there was a clock trigger. If not this event......what then was the FS date based on?

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>sigh. >>

<< <i>The Baltimore release did not start the First Strike clock, nor the Early Release clock. >>

Didn't know there was a clock trigger. If not this event......what then was the FS date based on? >>

The trigger was the date of first confirmed shipments from the mint fulfillment center
    Over the counter sales at kiosks and the Balt show did not constitute "shipped".

(l8-)>>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file