Home U.S. Coin Forum

HOF Order numbers, time of order, and mix of HOF's thread...Updated Pops Report inside

Comments

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mint rep, "the round part of the blanks were on the wrong side and they have to remake them"...........image
  • BurnieBurnie Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    What?
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mint rep, "the round part of the blanks were on the wrong side and they have to remake them"...........image >>

And that was determined by the same guy who tried to swim the English Channel, got halfway across, decided he couldn't make it and swam back.
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Mint rep, "the round part of the blanks were on the wrong side and they have to remake them"...........image >>

And that was determined by the same guy who tried to swim the English Channel, got halfway across, decided he couldn't make it and swam back. >>

I know that guy. Had his pizza cut into 4 slices, because he couldn't eat 8.
  • goldgirlgoldgirl Posts: 159 ✭✭

I thought mine looked "Different"imageimage
  • Anybody take a guess yet at what % of total mintage is out to customers for gold and silver HOF's. I expected the first strike pops (especially golds, was thinking 10%) to be much higher than they are now due to dealer hoards.

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any WAG's on how much from these levels (assuming a baseline here, no pun intended) the $5 raws will drop to? Sub-$1000?
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any WAG's on how much from these levels (assuming a baseline here, no pun intended) the $5 raws will drop to? Sub-$1000? >>

I'd say between $500-550 when they all have shipped. Flame suit on. Seriously, the market will not support the dumping that will occur when they are all finally shipped. All the flippers that ordered them will dump them when rec'd since there is no 1st strike option available. You are kidding yourself if you think these will be anywhere near $1000 in a couple of months. My opinion, based on 10+ years of Mint flipping experience.
  • PRIZ430PRIZ430 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd say between $500-550 when they all have shipped. Flame suit on. Seriously, the market will not support the dumping that will occur when they are all finally shipped. All the flippers that ordered them will dump them when rec'd since there is no 1st strike option available. You are kidding yourself if you think these will be anywhere near $1000 in a couple of months. My opinion, based on 10+ years of Mint flipping experience. >>

The Gold will follow the 2009 Ultras value....+High demand and half the mintage....The silvers will be somewhat less than the 2001 Buffalos.....but still retain a good profit margin....the halves are anybody's guess.....

• << <i>Any WAG's on how much from these levels (assuming a baseline here, no pun intended) the $5 raws will drop to? Sub-$1000? >>

Raw gold currently ranging from $1100-1200. Take 30 percent off that price range is my guess.

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just want to say thanks to John and the staff at Modern Coin Mart. Always the best of customer service and
    they go out of their way to please their customers. Always my first choice if they have what I am looking for.image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Actually when they were making the curved blanks, the overeagar newbie stamping operator saw they were totally blank
    and he rejected them.

• JefferyJeffery Posts: 115
    I'm guessing raw gold will top out 1350-1450 or so before the mint releases the "flood". (Assuming this happens in mid jun, if it is later than that gold will be in 1400-1600 range). Once the flood is here raw prices will drop to 750 range over 2-3 months as the glut of coins works its way into the market. After that prices will rise until they are around $1000 by opening day next year.

All of this is based on 0 years of experience, so really just a guess! lol.

But, there is a HUGE demand for these things, and watching the prices go up as they have since late march has been incredible.
  • ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    Baseball HOF silver proof coins are dripping out.

I received a shipping notice of my order of one HOF proof silver dollar shipped this week. image

I noticed some other forum members mentioned shipping of small orders (1-2 silver proof coins).

Too bad that it is after the PCGS First Strike deadline.
  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still waiting on a single Proof $1 order; expected ship on 08/21.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check this out. Holy Cow! To think that I sold my NGC Opening Day $5 70 PAIR for $3800. image

How high will these go?? I thought that the Balto labels would drop a bit. How wrong I was.

Also check out the text of the ad - quite the narrative....

WOW! (The Best Offer price was $4900).
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at the ball players signed up so far as signatories........................

Silver Proofs

Gold Proofs
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If those are all actual signatures and not authorized facsimiles they all will need treatment for carpal tunnel real soon.

• JaLPJaLP Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    Not following the tangent of the thread recently, but why isn't the stitching on the $1 proofs mirrored like it is on the gold proof? It adds so much to the concave effect.

edited for grammar
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    This has to be rated as one of the worst screw ups the mint has had.

It is the worst one I can remember in the last 10 years or so.

They should practice some damage control at this point and tell us what is going on.

I hope everyone is ripping them a new one on the online survey they are doing.

I sure did!
  • I'm still kinda new to the coin world.... dealt with sports cards since the mid 80s... but only started buying coins March 2013.

One question I have....

Why do PCGS graded coins routinely sell for more than NGC of similar grades?

For example - Hall of Fame Silver $1 DCAM 70 - PCGS $265 / NGC $215

Is it just personal preference? Is PCGS more strict so a 70 is a true 70?
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is the worst one I can remember in the last 10 years or so. >>

Yep, that *you* can remember.

In 2012, I place an order for two SF ASE sets on 7/5, the were shipped on 10/8.

In 2013, I placed an order for two West Point ASE sets on 6/6, they were shipped on 9/12.

Also in 2013, I placed an order for the TR Coin and Chronicle set on 12/17, it was finally shipped on 3/19/2014.

Those are only three that come to mind. If I so some research, I can probably come up with a few more.

You're upset because you haven't gotten your coins, but this is hardly an anomaly for the mint.

<< <i>Baseball HOF silver proof coins are dripping out.

I received a shipping notice of my order of one HOF proof silver dollar shipped this week. image

I noticed some other forum members mentioned shipping of small orders (1-2 silver proof coins).

Too bad that it is after the PCGS First Strike deadline.
    image >>

TRUNCATED TRACKING NUMBER FIELD
    I received my shipping box today with my one (1) HOF silver proof coin at my PO Box.
    I noticed a problem with the shipping label.
    o The printed tracking number field was too small and did not print the entire tracking number.
    o While the bar code is encoded correctly; visibly you can't tell from the outside.

This may become a problem when (if) the US Mint begins shipping lots of shipments.
    If you receive multiple packages shipped in the same day to a PO Box, you might have this truncated field problem.
    You may have to open the boxes to find what's in them. This may not be a problem since sealed boxes after the First Strike Date are not worth as much.

I had this problem when the US Mint sent me the reusable bags. They were all shipped the same day along with a box with two clad coins.
    I couldn't tell which of the boxes had the coins because of the truncated printing field; so I had to open them all.
    Be on the lookout that this may be a problem for future multiple shipments.

This is a problem on the US Mint Website because when you click on the tracking number, you won't get a valid hit on Fedex or USPS websites.
    You will have to call them to get the full tracking number.

Edited for additional information on truncated tracking number
  • edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    If you plan on keeping a sealed box, you should write everything on the outside. Look at your mint order, email and tracking notification
    write it all on the box, order number, contents, shipping date. That way you donnt have to wonder later on. when "they" open the box years later the shipping envoice will show all of the same info and verify FS.

(l8-)>>

<< <i>If you plan on keeping a sealed box, you should write everything on the outside. Look at your mint order, email and tracking notification
    write it all on the box, order number, contents, shipping date. That way you donnt have to wonder later on. when "they" open the box years later the shipping envoice will show all of the same info and verify FS. >>

Do the grading Co. have a time limit on how long you can send in a sealed box from the mint that was shipped before the cutoff date for FS/ER??
  • drfishdrfish Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    PCGS no time limit as long as the box is sealed and shipped before FS cutoff date. NGC only accepts coins in their hands or depository by cut off for ER

<< <i>PCGS no time limit as long as the box is sealed and shipped before FS cutoff date. NGC only accepts coins in their hands or depository by cut off for ER >>

Thank You drfish
  • rodzmrodzm Posts: 675
    So what do you all think...

I found a local dealer in Germany that will be getting HOF coins in June and the selling price (all in Euros) is

Clad

Uncirc 24.50 Eur about $33
    Proof 26.50 Eur about #36

Silver

Uncirc 59.00 Eur about $81
    Proof 65.00 Eur about $89

Gold

Uncirc 395 Eur about $542
    Proof 425 Eur about about $582

Me thinks the one with the most flip potential could be the silver dollars although the gold coins look very attractive at that price point. Im thinking of dumping about $2K into them for that price but is it worth it to go all in on silver or the about 3 gold coins and the rest on a few silver.

• << <i>So what do you all think...

I found a local dealer in Germany that will be getting HOF coins in June and the selling price (all in Euros) is

Clad

Silver

Gold

Me thinks the one with the most flip potential could be the silver dollars although the gold coins look very attractive at that price point. Im thinking of dumping about $2K into them for that price but is it worth it to go all in on silver or the about 3 gold coins and the rest on a few silver. >>

If those are the real prices... And you have $2000 .. Id buy 1 of each Clad and Silver.. .and 2 of each Gold.... sell the other 2 Gold and get back most.. if not all your money and have the set of 6 for free.
  • ChiSaoChiSao Posts: 134

<< <i>So what do you all think...

Clad

Silver

Gold

Me thinks the one with the most flip potential could be the silver dollars although the gold coins look very attractive at that price point. Im thinking of dumping about $2K into them for that price but is it worth it to go all in on silver or the about 3 gold coins and the rest on a few silver. >>

Are you pre-paying? I would be cautious... sounds too good to be true.

Alex
  • rodzmrodzm Posts: 675

<< <i>

<< <i>So what do you all think...

Clad

Silver

Gold

Are you pre-paying? I would be cautious... sounds too good to be true. >>

Yeah it would be pre-paying. I have ordered from them recently...matter of fact they are a pretty big dealer in Germany so Im not too concerned with not getting my product. Theyve been in business for over 25 years so I think theyre trustworthy
    Pops as of 5/15/14 compared to 5/9/14...........
    Huge jump in PR69 Proof Silver and the Cassie McFarland Sig.

5/9/14
    5/15/14
    5/9/14
    5/15/14

5/9/14
    5/15/14
    5/9/14
    5/15/14

5/9/14
    5/15/14
    5/9/14
    5/15/14

Thanks for the updates Goldbully.

Bidding up to $1,700 for PCGS MS70 GOLD

PCGS MS70 GOLD
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Raw gold hitting $1300. wow. Every time i think this is the top, it just keeps shooting up.
    Does anybody have any gold scheduled to ship before 6/30?

Not that it means anything.
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Putting Goldbully's population report in the spread sheet.

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the updates Goldbully.

PCGS MS70 GOLD >>

I am surprised how little of the $5 gold is on Ebay.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
    PCGS has given their blessing on pricing on the Gold Proofs.

• edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    I've never been able to figure the "PCGS Price GuideSM Value" out. some fairly recent issues receive a value,
    while others go years without one. I wonder how the value is set.

(l8-)>>

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks for the updates Goldbully.

PCGS MS70 GOLD >>

I am surprised how little of the $5 gold is on Ebay. >>

Blu62vette - Here are some thoughts on the $5 HOF Gold Coins:
    1. In a previous post, here were my swags of the original mintage and the later mintages:

o Gold: estimated original mintage: Proof (10,000) and Unc (5,000) leaving post 6/21: Proof (22,000) and Unc. (13,000)
    o Silver: estimated original mintage: Proof (100,000) Unc. (50,000) leaving post 5/16: Proof ( 162,000) and Unc. (72,000)

I had based this on estimating that the Baltimore First Pitch Sales were 2% of the original mintage. I then looked at the 2013 McArthur Generals $5 gold which had total sales of 5,674 unc. gold and 15,950 proof gold. The 2013 silver General coins sold about 80,000 proof and 23,630 unc. So if the US Mint was unsure of demand, the best guess might be the most recent 2013 issue.

2. Based upon what I see is the flow through of PCGS grading of the silver coins, the estimated mintage appears to be in the range.

3. For the gold coins, the flow through of PCGS grading (don't have visibility into other TPGs), suggest that the above estimated original mintage may be high.
    o Unlike the silver HOF coins, there does not appear to be any really large supply flowing through PCGS and I would think almost everyone, including the marketers of autographed coins, would want a PCGS First Strike label, if possible.
    o A search of national dealer websites showed very little, if any, available gold coins. When the gold coins appear, they quickly sell out except for high priced fancy autographed labels.
    o A search of eBay shows less than 20 available at a time and price levels continue to rise. The massive price increases would normally bring out supply but that isn't happening.
    o The only other supply, as your BST post showed, is at auctions with greatcollections.

4. Goldbully showed the PCGS price guide entry for the PR69 and PR70 gold coins which range from $1300 - $1700. Kenbegud's analysis is also very helpful.

5. So the question is how many Baseball HOF gold coins have been released so far by the US Mint?

6. It appears that the US Mint may be selling some of the HOF coins at the upcoming Long Beach Expo.

7. Also appearing at the Long Beach Expo is Cassie McFarland, the coin designer. This would be a great opportunity to get a real autograph on the coin, if Cassie is doing autographs. (There is another adult rated thread on the Cassie McFarland label insert in the forum.) I am wondering if the large supply of Cassie McFarland silver dollars will be on sale in Long Beach and I wish I could go because it would be really great to get her autograph (even though there will be more than the Goodacre $1 Sacagawea presentation coins.)

Just my current thoughts and sorry for the long post....
    That would be a real slap in the face if they bring more of the HOF coins to another show before the release the rest of them to the collectors who have ordered them.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've remained silent so far with the Mint-bashing since I understand they must be somewhat confidential in their actions, but finally I must admit this sale has been mishandled -- partly by inaction and preparation, but mostly by silence. By not coming forward with a reason for the huge delays it totally defies governmental transparency. I am a government official myself (state, not federal) and hold myself to high standards to keep those affected by my decisions and actions to be appraised of reasoning.

Complaints directly to the Mint will not carry much resolve. The ONLY way to get resolution is through Congressional action and inquiry. Treasury/Mint officials take their orders from Congress. I suggest contacting your local congressperson and file a complaint. There is absolutely no reason the Mint cannot be more transparent in these situations. The Mint Director must and will be held accountable.

Save your rants and complaints for your elected official. Let us know your response.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>6. It appears that the US Mint may be selling some of the HOF coins at the upcoming Long Beach Expo >>

They do have plenty of clads to sell. The others are sold out which means, ummm, sold out
    Sold out should mean sold out buy how can we trust any government agency now with the way this administration handles things,

Lie, lies lies is all we get from them.
    The real scarry thing about the populations is the PCGS slabs with the real autographs. From an article in Coin Week:

"Retailers for the hand-signed PCGS –graded coins include in particular L&C Coins, which specializes in modern and classic American issues, and at the wholesale level the coins are being marketed by Heritage Auctions."

Marketing at the wholesale level? How many coins we shipped to PCGS vaults to be held for "wholesale marketing" of the autographed slabs.

imageimageimage

EDITED TO ADD: L&C has 200 gold autographed First Strike 70 coins and 400 silver First strike 70 coins that do not even show in the populations yet.

and there will be selling of the coins at the "wholesale level" How many coins does it take to market at the wholesale level ?

<< <i>I've never been able to figure the "PCGS Price GuideSM Value" out. some fairly recent issues receive a value,
    while others go years without one. I wonder how the value is set. >>

Maybe they have a price wheel like the mint shipping wheel.

Bullsitter, Have you seen a pricing wheel?

<< <i>I've remained silent so far with the Mint-bashing since I understand they must be somewhat confidential in their actions, but finally I must admit this sale has been mishandled -- partly by inaction and preparation, but mostly by silence. By not coming forward with a reason for the huge delays it totally defies governmental transparency. I am a government official myself (state, not federal) and hold myself to high standards to keep those affected by my decisions and actions to be appraised of reasoning.

Complaints directly to the Mint will not carry much resolve. The ONLY way to get resolution is through Congressional action and inquiry. Treasury/Mint officials take their orders from Congress. I suggest contacting your local congressperson and file a complaint. There is absolutely no reason the Mint cannot be more transparent in these situations. The Mint Director must and will be held accountable.

Save your rants and complaints for your elected official. Let us know your response. >>

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still waiting on my proof $1.
    Many happy BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file