Home Precious Metals

Forum member inflation report.

Comments

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No accidents, no violations. All vehicles a year older, and the insurance on all of them went UP. Hmmmm.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jmski52
    No accidents, no violations. All vehicles a year older, and the insurance on all of them went UP. Hmmmm.

My homeowners insurance went from $2400 to $2900 this year. Big increase in property taxes as well. Restaurant prices up, portions served are down.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Must be lots of demand for insurance and dining out.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paid a $1.35* for gas in Ewa Beach!!!

*$1.00/gal off from Safeway grocery rewards.
    Originally posted by: cohodk
    Must be lots of demand for insurance and dining out.

packed restaurant on just about every corner and home/auto insurance is required because of the debt used to finance them.

Looks like demand for debt is up as well. image

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

You can read it as demand for debt, but again you would be wrong. Even folks who have fully paid for auto and homes buy insurance.

But that packed restaurants surely reinforces your "horrible" economy mantra. Lol

You can read it as demand for debt, but again you would be wrong. Even folks who have fully paid for auto and homes buy insurance.

But that packed restaurants surely reinforces your "horrible" economy mantra. Lol

record sub-prime auto debt tells the demand story. Wife and I find it cheaper to eat out (with coupons) than to shop at Publix.

You can read it as demand for debt, but again you would be wrong. Even folks who have fully paid for auto and homes buy insurance. But that packed restaurants surely reinforces your "horrible" economy mantra. Lol

It's a bifurcated market for debt, and it depends on what you interpret as "demand" for debt. Practically everyone now gets to live as if debt doesn't matter because there is currently no penalty for racking up debt. There will be no penalty until the debt market implodes. Debt has few consequences when interest rates are zero, but I suspect that will change when working people get tired of paying for other peoples' excess.

In contrast, the fact that auto and home insurance are mandated by the state and by mortgage companies who are then subsidized by the government with special tax carve-outs for the insurance industry doesn't translate into "demand" for insurance. Obamacare is one more odious example of the insurance industry making taxpayers into mules for their business model. That doesn't translate into "demand" either.

This cozy arrangement works as another wealth transfer from the tax-paying working segments of society to further subsidize the debtor segments. Governmental social engineering via subsidies to people who can't pay for mortgages but who obtain them anyway knowing that taxpayers will ultimately bail them out only serves to undermine the economy and allows low-life politicians to buy cheap votes with demagogue rhetoric.

"Demand" for debt is created by artificially-low interest rates. "Demand" for insurance isn't demand just because it's mandated or because the penalty for not having it is greater. It's either/or but not both. You pick.

I knew it would happen.
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    gas got down to $1.63 on Tuesday this past week, then suddenly went to $1.96 for no other reason but for the holiday coming and the station owners are greedy gougers.

Why don't people get upset about these 20% overnight jumps for no real reason. If milk went up 20% overnight for no real reason, would that P you off?
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
    It's because you live in the city. Folks like to take advantage of other folks in those areas. Out the country people look out for each other. imageimage

• mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Bought an iPad for the wife for Christmas.....$100 cheaper than last year.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ordered the kids (and parents image ) the newest XBox for Xmas

Dang, video games for the home have come a long way from the one I got when I was their age, which played pong, a simple driving game, and a simple shooting game on our old black and white TV

Adjusted for inflation, they cost about the same, and this new one is way way way (insert about a thousand more "way"s here) better.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Originally posted by: derryb

record sub-prime auto debt tells the demand story. Wife and I find it cheaper to eat out (with coupons) than to shop at Publix.

Not really. If the percentage of subprime remains constant yet the overall volume of car sales hits record highs then of course subprime will hit highs. That is no indication of a lousy economy.

Maybe you should try the $5 spaghetti dinners on Saturday at your local church. image

It's pizza, and only $4.

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got my Social Security letter today.

Your benefit will stay the same in 2016. We review Social Security benefits each year to make sure they keep up with the cost of living. The law does not permit an increase in benefits when there is no increase in the cost of living. There was no increase in the cost of living during the past year based on the Consumer Price Index (CPI) published by the Department of Labor. The CPI is the Federal government's official measure used to calculate cost of living increases. So, there will be no change in your benefit in 2016.

So there you have it.

No additional gouging of you young'uns this year. image
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    It's pizza, and only $4.

$4 "coupon" pizza for dinner.....hmmmmm
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    On a side note just paid 1.689 per gallon of gas in Texas...
    keceph `anah
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭
    Bought ground beef last week for $1.89/lb, cheapest I've seen it in a couple of years. Earlier this year 400-500# yearlings were going for $4/lb on hoof.

Gas is $1.9x/gallon. Got down to $1.88 a few weeks ago.

Shelled corn is $30-35 per 55gal barrel. We've been fattening the deer (and squirrels) up around our house good this year.

Restaurants are packed just about every night. You don't even want to go after 7 on weekends.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
    I like going back to the beginning of these threads. Good read.

Have any taxes gone down? If they haven't, the result is a disproportionately higher allocation to gov.com, but that's the basic design. And yet, the debt just got bumped to what, $21 trillion?

If you're not a protected species, you're in trouble. Anybody saved that promised $2,500 on obamacare yet? Well, I suppose that if you have a special plan that was exempted or a special provision that was "postponed", you're doing alright.

I knew it would happen.
    Have any taxes gone down? If they haven't, the result is a disproportionately higher allocation to gov.com, but that's the basic design. And yet, the debt just got bumped to what, $21 trillion?

If you're not a protected species, you're in trouble. Anybody saved that promised $2,500 on obamacare yet? Well, I suppose that if you have a special plan that was exempted or a special provision that was "postponed", you're doing alright.

sound like comrade need 2 go to re-educashen camp, no?
    CR
    sound like comrade need 2 go to re-educashen camp

there's prolly a quota for that, see'ya there!

I knew it would happen.
    Jmski wish he live in Belgium or Bahrain? One has highest tax rates and the other no tax.

Oil is now cheaper than water, milk, soda and coffee:

Who da thunk? Lol

Not surprising at all, derryb. The other items are immediately useful to the consumer, ready to go. The barrel of oil is utterly without utility unless/until processed.

the Value is in the transformation, and that costs money (in the form of plant and equipment, time, energy, knowledge, skill, etc)

OMG, does a bushel of corn cost less per ounce than a box of corn flakes? Does raw cotton cost less than a dress shirt? Does raw coffee cost less per gram than a Starbucks?

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny, 6 of those 8 give me co workers across the planet, and the 2 others are why I won't do well in the pickem from this year.
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fusetalk doesn't like part of a word in your link. Can't get it to open. I just did a search on

americans-are-paying-less-for-groceries-amid-global-glut-of-crops-2016-04-14

and it came up fine.
    Jmski wish he live in Belgium or Bahrain? One has highest tax rates and the other no tax.

jmski has no interest in relocating to either. Reagan expressed it best - if we lose freedom here, there is no other place. You can see just how well Belgium is doing with their EU policies on money & immigration.

Relevance to the OP, your comment doesn't address the fact that taxes have increased.

I knew it would happen.

jmski has no interest in relocating to either. Reagan expressed it best - if we lose freedom here, there is no other place. You can see just how well Belgium is doing with their EU policies on money & immigration.

Relevance to the OP, your comment doesn't address the fact that taxes have increased.

I suspect that there are people doing just fine in Belgium and Bahrain, and others not doing so well, as a result of the intersection of their personal luck of circumstances, environment, and individual effort and decisions. Hey, just like here in United States and America! Is Nice!

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice habana cigar today, via Aruba, $16, Monte Cristo..good stuff for an off Monday.
    couple years back, porcine virus reduced pork supply, prices increased.

next, pork producers increased supply to profit more from high prices

now, glut in pork supply resulting in decreased prices.

wonder what pork producers will do next? image

consumers keep buying bacon though. Yum!

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gots the bacon

maybe that's for dinner tonight or tomorrow's lunch

prices on the good stuff not coming down.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    Same with eggs.

However,,on the whole, I do expect a stronger overall inflation than we've experienced over the past 5 years.

Originally posted by: MsMorrisine

I gots the bacon

about to have a couple rashers myself.

ah, the ole "good stuff" argument! Yes, the good stuff of every description and category keeps going up. Discerning shoppers "demand" it!

Almonds were also discussed earlier.

Almonds are currently down in price on increased supply. Except, of course, for the "best brand", which is higher.

• Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I saw at a gas station $1.25 to use air station.. Cost of inflation is insane
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
    Originally posted by: Baley
    I gots the bacon

ah, the ole "good stuff" argument! Yes, the good stuff of every description and category keeps going up. Discerning shoppers "demand" it!

Almonds are currently down in price on increased supply. Except, of course, for the "best brand", which is higher.

A futures market can solve low (or high) prices in any market. image

I gots the bacon

Indeed. It would provide accurate price discovery.

Oil is now cheaper than water, milk, soda and coffee:

PEAK OIL! PEAK OIL! PEAK OIL! PEAK OIL! PEAK OIL! PEAK OIL! PEAK OIL! PEAK OIL!
    LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL!
    I gots the bacon

Indeed. It would provide accurate price discovery.

I'm not taking sides!

Well played, image
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    I gots the bacon

argument?

It was a simple inflation report observation.

I'm going to be impartial and show the pork belly cash chart with a nod to derryb this time.

I curse Oscar Meyer.

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quantities for a given price continue to be reduced. Many Ocean Spray juices are now in 60 oz bottles (changed this year). Pint containers of tomatoes that went from 16 ozs to 15 ozs a few years ago are now hitting 14 and 14.5 ozs. It's an endless list. Ziploc baggies that were 40 count are now 38, etc.
    edited January 13, 2017 8:52AM

Note that while pay has increased 42% since 2000, real median income (when adjusted for inflation) has been stagnate. Inflation destroyed pay increases.

Nice chart. But it should start in the summer of 2011.

(and go ahead and add in the metals prices starting at that date too)

<wink

Or, for an even longer look, start it in 1980.

Starting charts in the year 2000 frames that "great" recession nicely though, doesn't it?

edited January 13, 2017 10:24AM

start point is irrelevant. look at all those great years (lol) between 2000 and now. Recession was actually in 2001 and real income actually improved that year. I'll have to disagree with you - pay increases are meaningless if they get devoured by inflation.

Let's take a much longer look at what inflation has done for us (in red, recessions in grey):

pay increases are meaningless if they get devoured by inflation.

Ok, let's agree with that at face value.

So, therefore.... what?

edited January 13, 2017 6:53PM

@Baley said:
    pay increases are meaningless if they get devoured by inflation.

Ok, let's agree with that at face value.

So, therefore.... what?

Just because nominal income rises it does not mean that the population is doing better. With inflation, quality of life does not improve just because the paycheck does. It also means that the lowest income families suffer the most from inflation since they see the lowest income increases in the face of an across the board rise in prices. Inflation is blind to how it affects different income levels.

Well said, and I completely agree. Which is easy to do, since it's all kind of a tautology.
    So to continue the conversation: Aaaand... what? Why are these facts important to state?