Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A #2 Hulk Hogan PSA 9 Mint Hits EBAY....Ends Tonight!!

Comments

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if Hank knows who the original party of the Klan was? A little history lesson might do him some good.

Actually a little history lesson would do you some good. Southern whites left the Democratic party in the 60s when Johnson made Civil Rights part of the Democratic platform. Those southern whites (some of whom were in the Klan) became Republicans. The two parties today look very different than they used to.

Robb
  • Options

What a blast watching some of those mid 80s matches! Thanks for the links,been awhile since ultimate warrior
    and my favorite road warriors were on my tv,just great times watching those as a kid.
    In AL we trust
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder if Hank knows who the original party of the Klan was? A little history lesson might do him some good.

Actually a little history lesson would do you some good. Southern whites left the Democratic party in the 60s when Johnson made Civil Rights part of the Democratic platform. Those southern whites (some of whom were in the Klan) became Republicans. The two parties today look very different than they used to.

Robb >>

double post due to forum error
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder if Hank knows who the original party of the Klan was? A little history lesson might do him some good.

Robb >>

Nice spin, but people like the late Democrat Senator Robert Byrd who was in office up until around 2010 might not help fit your story.

The Democrat party took over the Civil Rights movement for political purposes to control black people. That's on record. Modern plantations now are housing projects and welfare benefits that leaves so many dependent. That gets the Democratic party the votes they need to stay in power. Pretty slick tactics, huh? Slick, that is, if you like calculated control programs.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    People acting like Hogan and Mays shot a Lion.

Lets get back to collecting!
  • Options
    Ok, mullins.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Who were the kkk? Were they not a bunch of white idiots full of hate towards people of color? Why would Hank Aaron say people who opposed his black friend were like that if he didn't have some bottle up racism within himself? Why didn't he say people that opposed the last president and his policies were hateful racists as well? I'll tell you why. It's because Hank Aaron has no problem with you if you blindly follow in line with his black friend, and his black friend's policies. If you don't, you get labeled a racist comparable to the klan. That racist thinking and race baiting is a very flawed ideology that does nothing but continue to divide the nation. If you can't see that, you are the one who is beyond help.

Because two of my once favorite athletes in sports got caught running their racist mouths, I now have a hard time feeling the same towards both of them as I used to. >>

You are CLEARLY injecting your own definition of what "racist" means and not at all using it as it is defined. That's YOUR problem. Not Hank Aaron's, nor anyone else's. If you choose to take umbrage under the guise that he called YOU a racist, fine. But what he said, and what he feels, is NOT racism. If you don't understand that, then you simply are an IDIOT. >>

When Hank Aaron starts saying people that don't agree with his black friend's policies are just like the KKK, that is where the racism begins. Why didn't he say all of those that opposed the last guy's policies were hateful racists? I guess it wasn't as convenient?

When one has no real content to come back with, and they feel they are losing the debate, they always get desperate and start the name calling. I won't even waste anymore of my time trying to discuss this with you. You're not worth it. >>

I agree with you. Baseball lost the debate when he used the word "idiot" as he knew he was wrong.
    This guy Baseball must be a racist democrat by saying hank aaron's comments are not racist, it's so obvious.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think one of the main differences between collecting Hank Aaron and Willie Mays cards versus a Hulk Hogan is the underlying accomplishments themselves. Even though Mays might be more popular if he were a nicer guy, collectors will buy his cards all day long based on the numbers and accomplishments so there will be a strong base set there to support prices at a certain level. As long as PEDs aren't involved, collectors seem to gravitate toward statistics and on field accomplishments, especially in baseball but really in all of the core sports cards.

With wrestling, nobody really cares (I don't think) as to how many Wrestlemanias or how many championship belts were "won" during their careers. It really comes down to the popularity of the genre and the person themselves. How that will play out with Hogan, I guess we'll all find out eventually. >>

Since wrestling is obviously pre determined and presented as such wearing the belt at this point doesn't mean what it used to. Prior to the days of it being called sports entertainment being the champion was a big deal. Those who earned the right to be named the champion were the top guys in the business. For that it matters that Hogan wore the WWF championship belt during the huge boom time for wrestling in the 80's. It also matters that with the NWO the business caught on fire once more and this time he was the top heel. In terms of comparing titles like one would compare home runs if anyone does that they are wasting their time.

Hogan's primary accomplishment was being a huge draw at various times in wrestling and staying relevant for 36 years because of it. I was speaking with a friend last night about the topic and an interesting point came up. Many of Hogan's fans may have similar beliefs and wouldn't be interested in their daughter bedding a black man. For those this could actually make them like Hogan more or at a minimum have no impact on their interest in him. It is no secret that a lot of wrestling fans would be called hillbillies. When I went to the last TNA taping it was mind boggling seeing how many people had missing teeth. I realize this is a stereotype of wrestling fans but sterotypes come from real life experiences.

The area that would appear most at risk as you pointed out are left wing liberal white fans. That said I am not sure if this segment is anywhere near as large as the one I just mentioned. The other issue is that Hulk Hogan the character is still Hulk Hogan the character. Terry Bollea is who made the comments.

I sat last night staring at the card on EBAY for a few minutes and I just can't believe that the Hogan card is going to die. I have pointed it out numerous times but that is Hulk before he was Hulk. The photo I posted earlier in the thread first appeared in 1979. He was just building his character. The idea that there was a card floating around for years that very few people even knew existed that profiles Hulk as the budding star he was in 1982 and features such a great shot of him as a young green wrestler is just really cool. The limited nature and condition sensitivity give it an additional appeal and at this point the Wrestling All Stars cards are considered legitimate cards from the 80's. Many thought they would pop up and then fade into the distance but the popularity has continued to spread and more and more collectors wouldn't mind adding a few to their collection.

Another issue that my friend and I discussed is that as I said this could be an issue where the WWE is looking to save money too. To get out of a contract you need a legitimate reason and a racist rant would classify as one. Just like Hulk the character always came back from the jaws of defeat I think Terry Bollea the man is going to do everything in his power to make a comeback and I think the chances are pretty good he will.
  • Options
    Hogan National pricing.

These prices are no joke.
  • Options
    Peckster, are you sure about this? "Hogan whore the WWF championship belt...."
  • Options
    Page turn post
  • Options

<< <i>Peckster, are you sure about this? "Hogan whore the WWF championship belt...." >>

Haha

Edited! image
  • Options
    $2,200 on the BGS 9.5

Solid price for this card.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Baseball,
    Hank Aaron comparing republicans who oppose Obama to the kkk is pretty racist to me to tell you the truth. >>

That's your opinion and it's fine if you want to feel that way. He didn't say "White people", he said "Republicans". Just the fact that you would associate "Republicans" with being only White tells me more about your possible racist tendencies than that of Hank Aaron's. >>

Who said I associated republicans with only being white? You are ignorant for concluding that.
    Hank Aaron insulted all races of the republican party by associating and comparing them with an extremist group like the kkk. But by Hank Aaron comparing the repubican party members who oppose obama to the kkk(which were white), we can infer which race of the republican party he was alluding to.
    Shows your racist tendencies by you saying it's ok to compare a political party to the kkk. >>

Who said its ok to compare anything to the kkk? I explicitly stated that his comments are completely inappropriate. And we can infer whatever we want. But that usually says MUCH MORE about the one inferring. And what does Hank Aaron think of all of those tens of millions of White voters in the Democrat party who supported and continue to support Obama? Somehow, these VERY simple logical deductions seem beyond your grasp. If he were a racist, he'd had a problem with White people PERIOD. Not some White people. His issue at worst seems to be that he has a problem with White racists. There is NOTHING wrong with that. MOST of us here have a problem with White racists. You can blame him for painting with a broad brush, but you can't argue that the man is racist. >>

Sounds like you are are on the left and have racist tendencies to come up with these conclusions. Also you are probably worried that his card values will drop in value.
  • Options

<< <i>$2,200 on the BGS 9.5

Solid price for this card. >>

Strong price. Hogan is probably the most successful and famous wrestler of all time so I believe his cards will retain their value.
  • Options
    The card is back for sale. I see the seller also had a Jordan PSA 9 that was run in straight auction right back up too. Both auctions look legit. I get the feeling this seller is not completing transactions because he wasn't happy with the price.

• Options
    PSA 9 Hogan

This example is ending tonight and currently at $2,225. The last copy sold for $2,325.

I wouldn't be shocked if someone comes in at the end and tries to pick off both the Andre and the Hogan in top grade so the finish could prove to be exciting.

• Options
    I noticed at the end the of week three Hogan 9's went in for review at the National. I just checked and they didn't bump again.

PSA has reviewed these copies numerous times and so far hasn't budged.

• Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    PSA was very tough on reviews at The National in my opinion. Can anyone confirm a single successful "bump" in person at the show?

Also, I saw a seller of miscellaneous genres at the show who had in his showcase, not displayed prominently, a mint looking set of 1982 B and 1983 A Wrestling All Stars.

I asked him for the prices, which were reasonable, but more than I was looking to spend. He told me had sold a 1982 A set earlier in the show for $1200. If they were as nice as the ones in the case appeared, there will be some new mint PSA singles arriving pretty soon, I would imagine.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    I spoke to a board member and he said they were really tough and he went 1 for 15.

I check the pop report daily so I will see them if and when they hit.

There were a few other nice cards hit when the Brody 10 did and I assumed they would be listed all at the same time. Perhaps different subs.

• Options
    edited March 28, 2018 12:54PM

Final two bids look legit to me.

Prior high was just under this and then it fell back into the lower 2’s.

Not a lot of these floating around for sale. A collector I know who owns two recently turned down $2,650 in a direct sale.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's impressive David.

Thanx for sharing; wouldn't know much about wrestling if it weren't for you and a few others reporting on this segment of the hobby.

Mike
  • Options

For some reason I can't get the price to come up in Watch Count but I know Greg got over 4k for this PSA 9 Mint Hogan. A new record.

It is amazing how the supply of this card in general has simply dried up. You used to be able to go to EBAY and see quite a few copies in various condition listed at one time but that isn't the case any longer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Wrestling-All-Stars-Hulk-Hogan-PSA-9-WWF-WWE-AWA-Rookie-Card-RC-HOF-/283515857550?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

• Options

Dpeck- i occaisionally follow some of your threads, btw are interesting to read.
    I was able to click the Ebay link, then copied the listing # on watchcount and it worked.
    Cannot belive almost 6K for this card.....WOW!!

Heres the watchcount link: http://www.watchcount.com/mw2.php?bkw=283515857550&amp;bcat=0&amp;bcts=&amp;sfsb=Show+Me!&amp;csbin=all&amp;bslr=&amp;bnp=&amp;bxp=#serp

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options

What a read this thread is! I totally forgot about some of the dialogue and I after reading one of the comments towards someone who posts are missing from the thread I remember PSA wiping all of his comments from their site. He was the most vocal in predicting the demise of Hogan's cards. I would love to read those posts.

Well once again time heals all wounds. Hulk has been brought back into the WWE and is very active on social media and his popularity is back to where it was. Tiger Woods was mentioned in the thread too and he is as popular as ever and his rare black card stock rookie went for huge money after his historic comeback win.

As the saying goes legends never die.

The person I referenced earlier in the thread that turned down a $2,650 direct offer was Greg so patience paid off and further evidence that wrestling cards have been tremendous price performers in the past ten years. I am in my first PSA 9 Hogan for $50 to $75 depending how you break down the value of the complete set I bought at the time. Awesome!

• Options
    edited February 3, 2020 7:49PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283761877990

I can't figure out what is going on here. This Hogan has 114 watchers. I don't recall ever seeing that many on a listing for a copy of this card.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    I just got this in the mail yesterday and it is so cool. An original photograph from November of 1979 of Sterling Golden just prior to him debuting in the WWF in MSG. The person I bought it from said it was developed straight from the negative by the photographer and it looks like a picture I did in high school photography class where you put it in the solution yourself and saw the image appear shortly there after. I am going to eventually try and get this in one of the new large sized PSA holders for photographs and probably will try and get it signed first. A very cool vintage wrestling piece.

Awesome score. Conrats.

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

For someone who could care less about wrestling or wrestling cards, I really enjoy reading this thread. Your passion for this niche of the hobby is inspiring.

And that Hogan photo from his debut performance is cool!

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options

@JKT said:
    For someone who could care less about wrestling or wrestling cards, I really enjoy reading this thread. Your passion for this niche of the hobby is inspiring.

Thanks for the comment.

Collecting wrestling memorabilia and specifically cards has made my life a lot more fun and has given me a hobby that has brought a great deal of joy to my life. I love the history, the chase, and the nostalgia.

Wrestlemania 36 is in Tampa this year and Hogan is going to play a major role as he is from there. The amount of media coverage is going to be big and I am really looking forward to Wrestlemania week as my friend Gregg is bringing in a ton of guys to Wrestlecon and so that will be a ton of fun.

• Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:

@JKT said:

Thanks for the comment.

Collecting wrestling memorabilia and specifically cards has made my life a lot more fun and has given me a hobby that has brought a great deal of joy to my life. I love the history, the chase, and the nostalgia.

Wrestlemania 36 is in Tampa this year and Hogan is going to play a major role as he is from there. The amount of media coverage is going to be big and I am really looking forward to Wrestlemania week as my friend Gregg is bringing in a ton of guys to Wrestlecon and so that will be a ton of fun.

Already looking forward to your writeup of this!

• Options
    Tecmo BoilTecmo Boil Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

Speaking of 1982 All Stars....I’m making progress on this project. Acrylic on 12” x 9” canvas. A lot of fun but a lot of detail 😂

• Options

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Wrestling-All-Stars-Series-A-2-Hulk-Hogan-PSA-8-NM-MT/373070338561?hash=item56dcb99a01:g:qpkAAOSwR25e1DYK

The 1982 Hogan continues to be very strong. I wasn't sure where this would end because the last sale was a BIN and the seller negotiated what I thought was a strong price. This went for just under that at $1,340.

Icon cards are just on fire across the board!

• Options

This is a very solid 7. Just crossed the $800 mark with time to go.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303597528888?_trksid=p2471758.m4704

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

only three are in the newer holder

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

@wrestlingcardking said:
    only three are in the newer holder

Been accumulating these over the past ten years.

• Options
    GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

All self submitted? Incredible stash nonetheless.

• Options

@Gansetttime said:
    All self submitted? Incredible stash nonetheless.

No. I bought the three 9's years ago starting in August of 2009 and two of the 8's back 9 years ago and then the rest are self subbed. Five of the signed ones are high grade BGS crackouts and unfortunately the one that started the huge Hogan thread from 2010 that I bought off EBAY during that time he creased when it was signed. I have been buying sets over the years to try and grade and just felt like the Hogan card was going to be a monster and had no interest in selling them. I did sell one a SGC 8 to Gary V with the idea he would put it on Twitter and that I believe was a smart move.

• Options

This has been fun to watch. It will set a public record for a wrestling card sale.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373106070893

140 watchers currently and sure to grow tomorrow into the close. I set a $6,500 minimum target on it and so now we are at that and not telling where this goes.

I am not bidding and just a spectator but obviously would love to see this go much higher from here.

Fun times in the hobby!

• Options
    CrashingwavesCrashingwaves Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    This has been fun to watch. It will set a public record for a wrestling card sale.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373106070893

140 watchers currently and sure to grow tomorrow into the close. I set a $6,500 minimum target on it and so now we are at that and not telling where this goes.

I am not bidding and just a spectator but obviously would love to see this go much higher from here.

Fun times in the hobby!

Crazy! Great thread and your PC of this card is astounding.

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

$20,100 for a signed Hulk Hogan PSA 9 is not too shabby at all :-)

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

I got contacted by several people on Instagram and Twitter who were bidding on the card and so I knew it was going to launch above 10k but definitely didn't see this price happening. The under bidder made a post about losing and in Darren Rovell's tweet someone responding claiming victory with a screen shot of a paid item ready to ship from Probstein.

I commented in the under bidder's IG post that a PSA 10 Hogan was now a 50k card for sure and he wrote back 100k.

There are big buyers moving into wrestling cards. I listed some stuff last night to free up some cash for a very special buy that I will elaborate on once I get the cards in hand and had five sell within in an hour and get paid for immediately.

The market is really cooking.

• Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 356 ✭✭✭

Dpeck, I honestly believe that you deserve the lion's share of the credit for the boom in wrestling card prices. I have watched here over the last several years as you have aggressively and intelligently put forward your views on the importance of these cards and their position in the world of sports card investing. Kudos to you!

• Options
    GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Can't wait to hear about your big purchase! Selling some higher grade/demand cards from your collection sounds like you got something big.