Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A #2 Hulk Hogan PSA 9 Mint Hits EBAY....Ends Tonight!!

Comments

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    This was my test run with wrestling cards with PSA

Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type
    1 1 04787912 N9: NOT GRADED NO SPEC INFO, NO GRADE, NO CHARGE Card
    2 1 04787913 GEM MINT 10 2007 TOPPS ALLEN & GINTER 23 CAEL SANDERSON MINI-BAZOOKA BACK Card
    3 1 04787914 MINT 9 1982 WRESTLING ALL-STARS SERIES A 2 HULK HOGAN Card
    4 1 04787915 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 PANINI MUNICH 72 150 DANIEL GABLE Card
    Total Items: 4
    Date Received: 9/12/2007
    Date Shipped: 11/1/2007
    Order Status: Shipped
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Just did a cert check and it did not come back with the Hogan so it has been cracked and resubbed. It was a super sharp card so I imagine the collector with it thought it had a shot at a PSA 10. For my sake, I hope it never bumps as I have stated above that I sold it for $135 a few years after subbing it. As DPeck has stated that would be a at least a 10k card today.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting info Rob on the cert check.

Definitely a bummer to have sold such a strong example. Thankfully you have had some awesome success with your buys and sells on EBAY.

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully you'll get a strong copy back.
  • Options
    Just for the heck of it I looked up the population on both PSA and BGS's site for the 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan and the 1982 Wrestling All Stars Hulk Hogan.

There have been 21,354 in total of the Michael Jordan.

The Hulk Hogan has a total of 146 graded.

Obviously there is drastically more demand for a Jordan but with such short supply of the Hogan it is easy to see why the price can easily expand.

• Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>Just for the heck of it I looked up the population on both PSA and BGS's site for the 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan and the 1982 Wrestling All Stars Hulk Hogan.

There have been 21,354 in total of the Michael Jordan.

The Hulk Hogan has a total of 146 graded.

Obviously there is drastically more demand for a Jordan but with such short supply of the Hogan it is easy to see why the price can easily expand. >>

Does anyone have a guess at how many of those wrestling cards were produced?
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    My guess would be 2000-3000. an extremely high percentage of these went to wrestling fans, and not baseball card collectors.
    These cards have been tough to find for thirty years.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    I know next to nothing about wrestling cards but it sure seems like this set has made a drastic rise from being very under appreciated over the last few years. Are there any other wrestling sets that have a potential to really catch on in the next few years?
  • Options

<< <i>I know next to nothing about wrestling cards but it sure seems like this set has made a drastic rise from being very under appreciated over the last few years. Are there any other wrestling sets that have a potential to really catch on in the next few years? >>

I do not see any sets matching the wrestling all stars. The key to that set is all the recognizable stars and the photos in the set. The problem with a lot of wrestling sets is that they tend to feature action shots over profile shots. I personally like the 1981 Popy Kajiwara cards with their photos but they are pretty rare and tough to find which will limit their upside. Other nice sets include the Market Scene cards from 1989 and 1990 but lack the key rookie cards like the all stars outside of the Ultimate Warrior. I'm collecting the 1954 Parkhurst wrestling cards (75) and the 1955 Parkhurst sets (121) but those are so old that a lot of people do not know the wrestlers as well. I have done well collecting and selling the 1973 wrestling annuals. These are hand cut and feature the first card of Andre the Giant. The set is 36 cards and have a fair amount of wrestlers who are popular like Mil Mascaras, Jack Brisco, Wahoo McDaniel, etc. I hope to see others enter the market for wrestling cards.
  • Options

<< <i>I know next to nothing about wrestling cards but it sure seems like this set has made a drastic rise from being very under appreciated over the last few years. Are there any other wrestling sets that have a potential to really catch on in the next few years? >>

In about two months it will be five years since I bought my first set of Wrestling All Stars cards. As soon as I got them in hand I thought these are such cool cards. They have a much older look, great head shots and are just overall super cool trading cards. I dove in head first and started buying as much as I could. Growing up in the 80's it was natural for me to collect baseball cards and then basketball cards and I continued on a casual basis for many years after so I had the card collecting bug in me.

In the process I decided I wanted to own one of every set from the 80's so I bought a little of everything. There were other cards that I thought were very cool but in my view nothing compared to the Wrestling All Stars. In April of 2010 is when I sent in my first cards and the population totals for all three sets were next to nothing. Most of the cards had never been graded.

I purchased a good number of the first high grade cards to hit EBAY and paid a huge price at the time for the Ric Flair. This was when these cards came off the mat and began to move and dealers started looking for them to submit. It was soon after this that I sent in a lot more cards and began to put my registry sets together. These cards were taylor made for the set registry with small enough sets and hard enough cards to piece together in high grade. This is once again another example of a set that the registry made.

There are other sets in wrestling like the Carnation Major League Wrestling cards that moved dramatically but many have really not gotten a lift from where they were five years ago raw. There are loads of examples though of graded cards that have sky rocketed and this can span across many sets.

The bottom line though is the rate of return on wrestling cards can be through the roof. I believe I saw one of your Wonderama cards sell for $45 recently of an action shot of Ron Simmons. That is a $.10 card with a grading fee of $7 and a gross profit of $37.90. The margins are insane. When I continued to be a part of this I fell in love with card grading because I could buy things and instantly make a return on my money and have fun in the process.

If you are wanting to get more exposure to wrestling cards the best bet is to go through the checklists on Wrestlingtradingcards.com and look for the stars of the past and see what the cards look like. A year or so ago the Steve Austin card blew up but the set didn't. This seems to be more the trend and how I would expect it to continue to be.

• Options

<< <i>My guess would be 2000-3000. an extremely high percentage of these went to wrestling fans, and not baseball card collectors.
    These cards have been tough to find for thirty years. >>

Obviously there is no one who really knows what the number is. I asked Norman via email and he said he couldn't remember but it just was not very many.

In a phone conversation with Jim Cornette I told him that it had been estimated between 100 and 2000 and I thought the 100 was way to low. He didn't think so.

He said Norman Keitzer was a cheap basterd and would have never made that many and didn't have the resources to. He was the small publication out of Minn and not one of the major magazines from New York that had large publishing companies behind them.

What was funny is that Jim said he couldn't imagine anything Norman made every being worth anything because the quality was so low. That certainly helps explain the condition sensitivity of the cards.
  • Options
    I can't find it using the search feature for some reason, but in or around 2003, I made a post on this site in which I likened the 1982-83 Wrestling All Stars to a combination of 1952 Topps Baseball and 1986 Fleer Basketball, due to their condition sensitivity and near 100% Rookie Card checklist. I wish I could find it somehow. I have been a lifelong card collector and was always trying to find these cards since they came out. Very tough set in every way.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options

<< <i>I can't find it using the search feature for some reason, but in or around 2003, I made a post on this site in which I likened the 1982-83 Wrestling All Stars to a combination of 1952 Topps Baseball and 1986 Fleer Basketball, due to their condition sensitivity and near 100% Rookie Card checklist. I wish I could find it somehow. I have been a lifelong card collector and was always trying to find these cards since they came out. Very tough set in every way. >>

Friday June 25, 2010 3:59 PM

The 1982 wrestling All-Stars Series is like the 1952 Topps or 1986 Fleer of wrestling cards. It is loaded with stars from every territory and federation, and was printed in limited quantities. It was hard to find even in 1985

This might be the post.
  • Options
    DPECK,

That one came much later than the one I am thinking of. It was when I first joined these boards and the response was laughter. Muck like in the late 1980's when I was trying to find basketball cards at a Baseball Card Show.
  • Options

<< <i>DPECK,

That one came much later than the one I am thinking of. It was when I first joined these boards and the response was laughter. Muck like in the late 1980's when I was trying to find basketball cards at a Baseball Card Show. >>

The guy I bought the set from that got me started sending cards into PSA said he quit taking them to shows becuase of the laughter and rude remarks in the early 80's and they sat in a trunk for years.

• Options
    over 2k now but still has a way before topping the price of the last 9 that was on the bay.....
  • Options
    Final hammer price was $2,850
  • Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, almost $3,000!! >>

In all honesty I am not surprised at all. There are so few of them and DPeck is holding on to his stash so if you want one you are going to have to pay. Looked like a great card and worthy of the grade it received.
  • Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    I'm just surprised collector's are realizing how great of a card it is. The card looks great too
  • Options

<< <i>I'm just surprised collector's are realizing how great of a card it is. The card looks great too >>

It is one of the top cards from the 1980s regardless of genre.
  • Options
    markmacmarkmac Posts: 412 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have a pic of the 1978 annual that contained the cards I see graded. I think I used to have one and I can't locate it. Also, is there a market for the 1982,1983 All Star set in PSA 8 or less?
  • Options
    Decided to check if there was a Hulk Hogan PSA Master Set on the registry and of course there is. I was surprised at how few people are working on it and that the top set is only just 25% done. I was also surprised to see he has a card in a 1981 set. I thought his first card was the one that this thread was discussing.

Set link
  • Options

<< <i>Decided to check if there was a Hulk Hogan PSA Master Set on the registry and of course there is. I was surprised at how few people are working on it and that the top set is only just 25% done. I was also surprised to see he has a card in a 1981 set. I thought his first card was the one that this thread was discussing.

Set link >>

81 Paper Cards

The 1981 card comes from a magazine and are over sized. You must cut them out and they are made of newspaper. I personally have never taken great interest in that one because I like traditional card stock. The distribution method of wrestling cards in the early 70's up to this set were cut out cards from a popular wrestling magazine. In my view the 1973 set is the best of the three as those cut outs can fit in a standard size PSA slab and have more of the appearance of a card.

The problem with the Hogan master set is it includes a lot of modern cards and cards with little to no value. I think a better idea would be to have a trimmed down list of the more meaningful cards and you might get more interest. The same holds true for Ric Flair. With their affiliation with TNA a lot of modern junk cards came out that really are not desirable in my view.

Graded wrestling cards are still very much in their infancy and I suspect in the coming years as more collectors add some to their collections we will see greater interest in the registry. Bret Hart is an example of a performer that a few guys are collecting.

I really don't think of the Hulk Hogan card listed in the title as just a wrestling card. I think it is more of a pop culture card and one that anyone might want to own. The Iron Sheik is another pop culture card and perhaps Jesse Ventura too.

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    He has 2, an oversized cut out that is on newspaper stock from 81 that I think is stretch to call a card. But he also has a real card that was packaged with a figure. They were produced in Japan and really hard to find. The figures are also collectable so buying the sealed figure just for the card could get pricey.

1981 Popy
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    Very nice Chad!

• Options
    An unopened figure with card just sold in Japan last night while I was sleeping. It came up and sold immediately. Maybe it'll make it's way to the States.
  • Options

<< <i>An unopened figure with card just sold in Japan last night while I was sleeping. It came up and sold immediately. Maybe it'll make it's way to the States. >>

What was the price?

• Options
    About $225. The figure is driving a lot of that price too for Japanese collectors.
  • Options
    That is cheap.
  • Options
    Very cheap. A Stan Hansen figure with cards sold as well for about the same price.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    That's an amazing price. I'm interested to see how the card would do at auction. I haven't seen one sell in the us market. I really wish I could scour Japanese sites for these kind of things.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    The Funk figure and cards just sold last night as well. $225. Seems to be the price that people are paying in Japan. Thought about it, but decided to hold off on the Funk...will buy the singles as they are much more affordable.
  • Options
    I recently purchased the domain name www.1982wrestlingallstars.com and will be building a site. I uploaded a few things today just to get it started and will be working on a more permanent layout.

It is live now and I will post more updates as I make progress.

www.1982wrestlingallstars.com
  • Options

<< <i>I recently purchased the domain name www.1982wrestlingallstars.com and will be building a site. I uploaded a few things today just to get it started and will be working on a more permanent layout.

It is live now and I will post more updates as I make progress. >>

Good luck Dave, maybe there can be a spot for signed wrestling all stars somewhere for exemplars of some rare autos.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I recently purchased the domain name www.1982wrestlingallstars.com and will be building a site. I uploaded a few things today just to get it started and will be working on a more permanent layout.

It is live now and I will post more updates as I make progress. >>

Good luck Dave, maybe there can be a spot for signed wrestling all stars somewhere for exemplars of some rare autos. >>

I need to get some advice on how these things work. I am hoping to add as much content as possible. What I have uploaded is as basic as it gets. If it is easy to add stuff and cost effective I will have no problem adding some of your signed stuff to the site.

My primary goal is just to create a site dedicated to one of the greatest trading card sets ever.

• Options
    82 AWA Program

I just snagged this program. I have emailed the guy twice with no response asking if the Hogan order form is inside. No response from the seller so I decided to take a chance. I am almost positive I saw it about six months ago inside this program.

The individual Hogan order form went for a little over $20 last time and I really want one for my collection.

Hopefully this is the right program.

• Options
    The Hogan AWA program had no advertisements for the cards.

I just won this program tonight and think it is so cool.

Terry "The Hulk" Boulder.

• Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    Anything from Hogan's AWA days are difficult to find. Great item.
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    Anything from Hogan's AWA days are difficult to find. Great item.
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Options
    I think this is the earliest Hogan program that exists from his short run in Memphis as Terry "The Hulk" Boulder.

• Options
    I got the program today and it came from July 23, 1979.

Here is the promo from the 21st.

Terry and Eddie Boulder
  • Options

<< <i>I got the program today and it came from July 23, 1979.

Here is the promo from the 21st.

Terry and Eddie Boulder >>

Whatever happened to his brother Eddie?
  • Options
    Eddie became Brutus the Barber?
  • Options

<< <i>Eddie became Brutus the Barber? >>

Yep

Brutus Beefcake
  • Options
    This is an early Hogan program from when he worked under the name Sterling Golden.

• Options
    WOW
  • Options
    PSA 9 with two days left. Already at $1300

eBay PSA 9
  • Options

<< <i>PSA 9 with two days left. Already at $1300

eBay PSA 9 >>

They wasted no time bringing this one to market. It was listed like two days after hitting the pop report.

• Options
    The passed few have went over $2500 so there is plenty more room for this card to move on up.......