Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A #2 Hulk Hogan PSA 9 Mint Hits EBAY....Ends Tonight!!

Comments

• Options

<< <i>And, is wayyyyy beside the point - but if you're going to bring up irrelevant material, at least be right about it. >>

Damage control doesn't take away from what was said. And it's not irrelevant to the people being trashed who done nothing to the one tossing out the flame job of bitterness.
  • Options
    I'm sorry, I don't speak Troll.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sorry, I don't speak Troll. >>

No, you are an immature poster who can't have an adult conversation because you have a personal grudge that you can't get over from one thread in the past.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>BGS 9.5

This guy is taking a huge gamble auctioning this off. I believe the highest a BGS 9.5 has ever brought was $1,550 in a straight auction. A Hogan PSA 10 would clear $10,000 easily. >>

It will be very interesting to see where this ends up. I agree that it is a huge gamble - though I could see supporters putting their money out there to back him up right now and it going for a lot. Plus, the spotlight is on him now - could draw more eyes and attention. On the flip side, as we've already discussed, some previous buyers could be turned off or no longer view the card as a solid investment in the long run. Lots of angles to this. >>

considering I just sold him this card on Monday, he will have to get roughly $2300 to breakeven.... >>

Up to $1,025 pretty quickly.
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    i'm rooting for him. this is an especially unique auction considering the circumstances. definitely watching for sure....
  • Options
    What's the average on this card?
  • Options
    was just sold to him @ $2K.
  • Options

<< <i>What's the average on this card? >>

$1,250 to $1,550. Obviously this recent sale was higher.

There are no PSA 10's and this one has zero chance of crossing over. I know two dealers that have said they have a buyer for the first Hogan PSA 10 if one ever hits at $25,000. It is hard to say if either will ever happen. A know for certain it would clear 10k like I said earlier easily.

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>200 million dollar mistake >>

Yeah I would say that was a financial mistake. Ouch.

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    anyone catch what rowdy rowdy piper had to say on the rich eisen show friday? came to his defense in his own unique way.....also, sorry to see what has become of mr piper....although I'm not quite sure he realizes it
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    Charrigan you posted an article where hank Aaron tries to defend and cover up his racist comments after receiving criticism. He is trying to do damage control but the truth is hank Aaron compared republicans who opposed Obama to the kkk. That's the fact and there are many articles on the internet that prove this.
  • Options

<< <i>Charrigan you posted an article where hank Aaron tries to defend and cover up his racist comments after receiving criticism. He is trying to do damage control but the truth is hank Aaron compared republicans who opposed Obama to the kkk. That's the fact and there are many articles on the internet that prove this. >>

Be careful. I already tried telling him that and got called a troll.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw this posted on my Facebook. Interesting post.

Carmine Sabia Jr.
    7 mins ·
    THE REAL ISSUE WITH THE HULK HOGAN RACIAL CONTROVERSY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE N WORD.
    As those of you who know me are aware I spent many years as a professional wrestling promoter before becoming a political pundit and journalist.
    When I first heard of Hulk Hogan’s comments on Friday I was disappointed. This is a man I admired as a kid. I don’t think any wrestling fan who was a kid in the 1980’s can say they weren’t a Hulk Hogan fan. His name transcends professional wrestling. Hogan is the Babe Ruth of the industry.
    As the day progressed and I wrote an article on it I started to think about the real issue. Yes Hulk Hogan said a reprehensible word but he said it to someone he thought was a friend, in a moment of anger at his daughter.
    Like what happened to Dog The Bounty Hunter and Paula Deen, words he used years ago are causing him to be punished now. But one has to understand the era in which Dog, Deen and Hogan were raised. The N word was a common word and while that doesn’t forgive it, it is safe to assume it doesn’t mean the same thing to them as it does to us today.
    But I’m not attempting to defend his use of the word.
    What I find more troubling is that in America today Big Brother is everywhere. At any point of any day you may be being recorded and not know it. And those recordings can be used against you at any point in the future to destroy you. If that isn’t George Orwell’s 1984 I don’t know what is.
    WWE itself has promoted many gimmicks over the years that can be, kindly, described as racist. From Kamala to Saba Simba to Akeem The African Dream the company’s history is littered with racist stereotypes.
    And yet in an effort to pander to the PC police it decided to erase Hulk Hogan from its history.
    Not just fire him but erase him from history, a move previously used for a man who murdered his wife and child before killing himself, Chris Benoit.
    Is that the point we are at in America?
    A racial slur is the equivalent of a double homicide / suicide?
    Moreover, why do people in our society take such glee at seeing someone destroyed?
    Ask yourselves if you were secretly recorded in a moment of anger what would the world hear you say?
    Would you be happy to have it made public?
    Would you stand by it?
    Are you comfortable being a part of a society where this is not only possible but probable, particularly for public figures?
    I say to you don’t judge Hulk Hogan on what he said in a moment of anger when he was secretly recorded.
    Be angry at a society that allows it to happen.
    Be angry at a society where someone’s words can destroy them if the PC police have their way.
    As the Lord Jesus said no one is devoid of sin.
    Think about it. >>

LOL. Hogan wasn't "secretly recorded". His comments were made during the filming of a sex tape - one that Hogan was full aware was being filmed. He was on camera, he knew it, and said this stuff anyway.
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭
    The only time I spend thinking about racism is when Al Sharpton tries to start a race riot. Other then that I go about my daily business.

Probably because you are white.

As for the Hank Aaron vs Hogan comparison it is the standard conservative playbook. Take a situation that is not particularly similar compare it to the current controversy and get offended that the two situations are not being treated the same.

Robb
  • Options

<< <i>The only time I spend thinking about racism is when Al Sharpton tries to start a race riot. Other then that I go about my daily business.

Probably because you are white.

As for the Hank Aaron vs Hogan comparison it is the standard conservative playbook. Take a situation that is not particularly similar compare it to the current controversy and get offended that the two situations are not being treated the same.

Robb >>

Sounds like you are a Democrat.
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you are a Democrat.

I noticed you didn't argue the actual point made.

The two party system is helping destroy America. I am independent and tend to vote for neither party. Once upon a time I would have been categorized as a compassionate conservative but the Republican party has decided if you don't follow lock and step you are a RINO and they don't want you sullying the conservative brand. Of course far left liberals are just as dangerous as right wing conservatives only the far left liberals do not control the Democratic party as strongly as the right wing conservatives control the Republican party regardless of what Fox news and the online trolls would have you believe. Politicians tend to run as moderates and govern as extremists whether they are named Obama or Bush.

As for the current controversy the sex tape was a private recording and we should all be frightened that private communications are now enough to get you pilloried regardless of the content. Most of your cell phone calls, emails, chats, texts and online web traffic is stored, by your service providers and/or the government, and within 10 years regardless of the encryption used now can be decrypted. There is not a single person on this board who hasn't said or written something offensive in private. Imagine someone going through your last 5 years of email, chat, text messages and phone calls and posting only the most offensive sentences and comments that you made.

Robb
  • Options
    +1 to everything Robb has said.

I am not a Democrat, either, as both major parties have serious flaws, in my opinion.
  • Options

<< <i>Sounds like you are a Democrat.

I noticed you didn't argue the actual point made.

The two party system is helping destroy America. I am independent and tend to vote for neither party. Once upon a time I would have been categorized as a compassionate conservative but the Republican party has decided if you don't follow lock and step you are a RINO and they don't want you sullying the conservative brand. Of course far left liberals are just as dangerous as right wing conservatives only the far left liberals do not control the Democratic party as strongly as the right wing conservatives control the Republican party regardless of what Fox news and the online trolls would have you believe. Politicians tend to run as moderates and govern as extremists whether they are named Obama or Bush.

As for the current controversy the sex tape was a private recording and we should all be frightened that private communications are now enough to get you pilloried regardless of the content. Most of your cell phone calls, emails, chats, texts and online web traffic is stored, by your service providers and/or the government, and within 10 years regardless of the encryption used now
    can be decrypted. There is not a single person on this board who hasn't said or written something offensive in private. Imagine someone
    going through your last 5 years of email, chat, text messages and phone calls and posting only the most offensive sentences and comments
    that you made. Robb<<
    Yes hogan's recording was a private recording like you said. Hank Aaron compared republicans who opposed Obama to the kkk to a writer that he knew could be made public. There's the difference.
  • Options
    Baseball,
    Hank Aaron comparing republicans who oppose Obama to the kkk is pretty racist to me to tell you the truth.
  • Options

<< <i>Baseball,
    Hank Aaron comparing republicans who oppose Obama to the kkk is pretty racist to me to tell you the truth. >>

How can it be racist if it doesn't mention race? He never says "white". His comments can be wrong and prejudiced without being racist. He targets a political party. Not racist unless of course YOU are saying there's no room for blacks in the Republican Party.
  • Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    Aaron's statement is ignorant but not racist. A lot of Obama supporters really believe that if you did not support him it was because of his skin color. That's as dumb as saying if you voted FOR him is was because of his skin color and some dumb people believe that too. Both are true AND false at the same time.
    1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    Why will no one address the fact that racial slurs are used all of the time in rap music by black men? These rappers glorify the gangster culture, become famous, and make millions of dollars doing it. But if a person of any other race were to use these very same words, there is outcry and demand to have them blackballed and their lives and careers destroyed. Does anyone not see how we are being played here?

Yes, I agree on the 2 party system. It is used solely to keep the people divided so they can control everyone. The truth is, the Dems and Repubs both don't give a flip about any of us. They care about staying in power, and through political favor, they literally make millions in sweetheart deals over the course of their careers in politics. One party is used to push welfare and control black people. They make whites feel shame with white guilt tactics through Sharpton, Jackson, etc. The other party likes to control religion(big money there), while being the war machine, which is another racket to make tons of money.

I often find myself thinking about what Rodney King said. Why can't we all just get along? The truth is, we probably could if everyone would wake up to the fact that we are all being played off of one another.
  • Options
    sorry, billboard size was annoying.
  • Options
    The "they use the n-word in rap music" is such an overplayed, weak "point" made over and over again by middle aged white guys that it's pathetic. Get some new material. It's not the same, just like there's a difference between YOU calling yourself a cracker and a black man calling you a cracker. Try harder.

We've gotten way off topic with the Hank Aaron, Al sharpton, KKK, rap music, etc. b.s. The original argument was whether Hogan is a racist lowlife and I don't see how anybody could argue that he's not. Whether his comments were made in private and whether the tape should have been leaked has nothing to do with whether his comments were racist. Of course they were! Most murders aren't committed in public either and most murderers hope not to get caught. It's still murder. Yes, that's an extreme example and no, I'm not saying racist comments are the same as murder, so save your breath. What I AM saying is that Hogan had the thoughts, spoke the thoughts, and that they tell us all we need to know about his character. I don't judge people by the color of their skin, I judge them by their character and their actions. My judgement of Hogan is complete.

If you think that his comments weren't racist, or if you think they were racist but are attempting to rationalize them, I will never see your viewpoint. Whether somebody did a really good job of pretending to beat up a fellow roid head 30 years ago is irrelevant to this discussion. Don't let that cloud your judgement.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>The "they use the n-word in rap music" is such an overplayed, weak "point" made over and over again by middle aged white guys that it's pathetic. Get some new material. It's not the same, just like there's a difference between YOU calling yourself a cracker and a black man calling you a cracker. Try harder.

We've gotten way off topic with the Hank Aaron, Al sharpton, KKK, rap music, etc. b.s. The original argument was whether Hogan is a racist lowlife and I don't see how anybody could argue that he's not. Whether his comments were made in private and whether the tape should have been leaked has nothing to do with whether his comments were racist. Of course they were! Most murders aren't committed in public either and most murderers hope not to get caught. It's still murder. Yes, that's an extreme example and no, I'm not saying racist comments are the same as murder, so save your breath. What I AM saying is that Hogan had the thoughts, spoke the thoughts, and that they tell us all we need to know about his character. I don't judge people by the color of their skin, I judge them by their character and their actions. My judgement of Hogan is complete.

If you think that his comments weren't racist, or if you think they were racist but are attempting to rationalize them, I will never see your viewpoint. Whether somebody did a really good job of pretending to beat up a fellow roid head 30 years ago is irrelevant to this discussion. Don't let that cloud your judgement. >>

I'm not excusing anything. You go ahead and be gullible and continue to be played. That's what's pathetic.
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enlightening thread in more ways than one image
  • Options

<< <i>The "they use the n-word in rap music" is such an overplayed, weak "point" made over and over again by middle aged white guys that it's pathetic. Get some new material. It's not the same, just like there's a difference between YOU calling yourself a cracker and a black man calling you a cracker. Try harder.

If you think that his comments weren't racist, or if you think they were racist but are attempting to rationalize them, I will never see your viewpoint. Whether somebody did a really good job of pretending to beat up a fellow roid head 30 years ago is irrelevant to this discussion. Don't let that cloud your judgement. >>

So, we have words that some can use, and they tell others they can't or they are horrible people. At the same time, the mainstream is screaming from the rooftops that they want equality for all. How can we have everyone on the same level and equal if some are allowed to get away with things others aren't? The truth is, there is racism from all races. None of it's right. But some sure do cash in on it and divide and control us that way.

They ban the Dukes of Hazzard, a wholesome family show, supposedly over a stupid flag. But I can go buy a rap CD at just about any store that has many racial slurs on it. So where do we draw the line? This just goes to show how messed up our society is becoming. Let's not be so naïve and deceived, people. Like I said, we are being played.

Hulk Hogan's comments were not anymore appropriate than were Hank Aaron's. I believe both made comments that came from bitterness for the other race that is bottled within them.
  • Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    The WWE is so G-PG now since it went public. Half of the Divas back then had done Playboy, blood was commonplace, sexual storylines, etc.
    Now they cater to the kids (because the parents will buy them stuff) and it's dull and predictable. When they want a big pop they bring back the "old guys"(Undertaker, Rock, Brock) because the current roster has nothing to offer. Hell, half of the kids don't know who Hulk Hogan is anyways. It's funny seeing the confusion in the kids eyes when they walk out a older generation wrestler.
    1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Baseball,
    Hank Aaron comparing republicans who oppose Obama to the kkk is pretty racist to me to tell you the truth. >>

That's your opinion and it's fine if you want to feel that way. He didn't say "White people", he said "Republicans". Just the fact that you would associate "Republicans" with being only White tells me more about your possible racist tendencies than that of Hank Aaron's. >>

Who said I associated republicans with only being white? You are ignorant for concluding that.
    Hank Aaron insulted all races of the republican party by associating and comparing them with an extremist group like the kkk. But by Hank Aaron comparing the repubican party members who oppose obama to the kkk(which were white), we can infer which race of the republican party he was alluding to.
    Shows your racist tendencies by you saying it's ok to compare a political party to the kkk.
  • Options

Hulk Hogan's comments were not anymore appropriate than were Hank Aaron's. I believe both made comments that came from bitterness for the other race that is bottled within them. >>

I agree with you.
  • Options
    Popy Figure $500 raw

Hogan's memorabilia continues to sell on EBAY. It is amazing how many pieces of merchandise his name and face are on.

I have long thought the popularity in a few key Hogan trading card issues was more of a supply issue then a demand issue. I have also thought that his 1982 Wrestling All Stars card was more of a pop culture card then a wrestling card. A lot of the long time wrestling card fans who have thrown good money after bad buying packs of 2010 TNA Wrestling or some other set with little to no chance of holding any long term value are not the one's supporting the prices. A huge percentage of the interest in that card comes from cross over buyers and the fact that it has been deemed his rookie card means there is no close substitute.

PSA has reviewed 130 copies for grading, 10 for auto and grading and BGS has reviewed 69 bringing the total to 209 cards. The primary reason the price for this card can trade as high as it does is due to lack of supply. There is no where near the demand for this card that there is for many key cards from various trading card sets but the restriction of supply means the price must be higher to match supply and demand.

The supply for this card is not going to grow unless a lot of cards come to market to be sold. I can't imagine someone who wanted the card saying I am out and refuse to hold this Hogan because of racial comments. To see the 1982 Wrestling All Stars card collapse in value seems highly unlikely to me. Could something like this hurt the value some or reduce its chances for appreciation sure. But a full blown collapse would take a lot of cards coming to market and I for one won't be selling any. I have a total of 20 copies of the 1982 Wrestling All Stars Hogan and they are staying in my collection.

Hulk is doing some good PR on social media. Having black wrestlers and friends come to his defense is good and taking pictures with his black pastor and black fans can only help. It will not be easy to come back from this overnight and there is talk that when the transcripts come out it will be worse. I can think of countless athletes over time that have been embroiled in scandal so it is nothing new.

The BGS copy is close to $1,500. It will be interesting to see if it can clear $2,000.

• Options

<< <i>Hulk is doing some good PR on social media. Having black wrestlers and friends come to his defense is good and taking pictures with his black pastor and black fans can only help. >>

so, some of his best friends are black? image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Baseball,

That's your opinion and it's fine if you want to feel that way. He didn't say "White people", he said "Republicans". Just the fact that you would associate "Republicans" with being only White tells me more about your possible racist tendencies than that of Hank Aaron's. >>

Who said I associated republicans with only being white? You are ignorant for concluding that.
    Hank Aaron insulted all races of the republican party by associating and comparing them with an extremist group like the kkk. But by Hank Aaron comparing the repubican party members who oppose obama to the kkk(which were white), we can infer which race of the republican party he was alluding to.
    Shows your racist tendencies by you saying it's ok to compare a political party to the kkk. >>

Who said its ok to compare anything to the kkk? I explicitly stated that his comments are completely inappropriate. And we can infer whatever we want. But that usually says MUCH MORE about the one inferring. And what does Hank Aaron think of all of those tens of millions of White voters in the Democrat party who supported and continue to support Obama? Somehow, these VERY simple logical deductions seem beyond your grasp. If he were a racist, he'd had a problem with White people PERIOD. Not some White people. His issue at worst seems to be that he has a problem with White racists. There is NOTHING wrong with that. MOST of us here have a problem with White racists. You can blame him for painting with a broad brush, but you can't argue that the man is racist. >>

What Hank Aaron implied was that anyone who disagrees with his black friend, who is running the show, must be a racist. Clearly, to me, Hank Aaron is racist with that thinking. I sure as heck never heard him make those types of allegations until a black man got elected. I guess it didn't fit the agenda? Anyone using common sense can see that Hank Aaron still has some underlying bitterness in him. He usually is pretty good at keeping it contained when he has media around him. This one time, he let it slip. Then he had to do damage control. Hogan is doing the same right now.

I have a problem with white racists. I also have a problem with race baiters and black racists just as equally.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    What Hank Aaron implied was that anyone who disagrees with his black friend, who is running the show, must be a racist. Clearly, to me, Hank Aaron is racist with that thinking. I sure as heck never heard him make those types of allegations until a black man got elected. I guess it didn't fit the agenda? Anyone using common sense can see that Hank Aaron still has some underlying bitterness in him. He usually is pretty good at keeping it contained when he has media around him. This one time, he let it slip. Then he had to do damage control. Hogan is doing the same right now.

I have a problem with white racists. I also have a problem with race baiters and black racists just as equally. >>

Just because one thinks that people are racist doesn't make them a racist. They may be wrong in their thinking, or not, but Hank Arron's implication (assuming you are absolutely correct) CLEARLY DO NOT divide based on SKIN COLOR, as is OBVIOUSLY the case with Hogan's comments. If you can't understand this simple deductive logic, and that you're trying to compare apples and oranges, then you're beyond help. >>

Who were the kkk? Were they not a bunch of white idiots full of hate towards people of color? Why would Hank Aaron say people who opposed his black friend were like that if he didn't have some bottle up racism within himself? Why didn't he say people that opposed the last president and his policies were hateful racists as well? I'll tell you why. It's because Hank Aaron has no problem with you if you blindly follow in line with his black friend, and his black friend's policies. If you don't, you get labeled a racist comparable to the klan. That racist thinking and race baiting is a very flawed ideology that does nothing but continue to divide the nation. If you can't see that, you are the one who is beyond help.

Because two of my once favorite athletes in sports got caught running their racist mouths, I now have a hard time feeling the same towards both of them as I used to.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Who were the kkk? Were they not a bunch of white idiots full of hate towards people of color? Why would Hank Aaron say people who opposed his black friend were like that if he didn't have some bottle up racism within himself? Why didn't he say people that opposed the last president and his policies were hateful racists as well? I'll tell you why. It's because Hank Aaron has no problem with you if you blindly follow in line with his black friend, and his black friend's policies. If you don't, you get labeled a racist comparable to the klan. That racist thinking and race baiting is a very flawed ideology that does nothing but continue to divide the nation. If you can't see that, you are the one who is beyond help.

Because two of my once favorite athletes in sports got caught running their racist mouths, I now have a hard time feeling the same towards both of them as I used to. >>

You are CLEARLY injecting your own definition of what "racist" means and not at all using it as it is defined. That's YOUR problem. Not Hank Aaron's, nor anyone else's. If you choose to take umbrage under the guise that he called YOU a racist, fine. But what he said, and what he feels, is NOT racism. If you don't understand that, then you simply are an IDIOT. >>

When Hank Aaron starts saying people that don't agree with his black friend's policies are just like the KKK, that is where the racism begins. Why didn't he say all of those that opposed the last guy's policies were hateful racists? I guess it wasn't as convenient?

When one has no real content to come back with, and they feel they are losing the debate, they always get desperate and start the name calling. I won't even waste anymore of my time trying to discuss this with you. You're not worth it.
  • Options
    This debate is silly. It is obvious what he meant. In 2014 when the comments were made there was only one black Republican in Congress or the Senate.

Aaron

This article is from the ultra left Huffington Post.

I only raised the issue because one could have thought his popularity would have declined after those comments and with the overwhelming percentage of collectors being white there might have been an impact on his card values. Instead they chose to focus on the fact that he was one of the most prolific home run hitters of all time.

If you want to talk about the most recognized professional wrestlers of all time Hulk Hogan leads the list. He wasn't the best in ring performer. Heck he wasn't even the best on the microphone but he had presence and charisma and carried the business to heights no one could have ever imagined. He is a staple in American Pop Culture. When I shook his hand a few years ago you feel that massive celebrity presence. It is Hulk Hogan!!!

People can choose to turn their back on him if they want and maybe they will. That said when you look back on the past 36 years in this country there are very few athletes that have had the popularity he has and I personally think it is hard for that to be taken away. He is one of the most recognizable people in the entire world and this isn't his first character flaw to be exposed and won't be his last.

If people choose to put their idols on pedestals they are making a mistake because they are human. I found it amusing when loads of married guys quickly tried to bury Tiger Woods and say don't get married if you plan to cheat. Yet they have never been propositioned by a Vegas bottle server and a multitude of other women. It is easier said then done to not stray when they are throwing themselves at you. Had Tiger performed on the course all of his transgressions would have been forgotten even in the trail of tremendous heart ache on his ex wife and children. I personally think breaking up your family over making some hurtful remarks is a bigger deal and if people can look the other way with Tiger I think they can do the same with Hulk. Heck there was a time that Michael Jordan's gambling debts were blamed for his fathers death. Michael was no saint. He has bed thousands of women all the while being married at the time.

Hulk had been barely making appearances on WWE TV and had just recently began the show Tough Enough. It won't create a huge void in wrestling with him no longer with WWE and he just has to focus on improving his image over time. It is obviously very earlier in the process and will be fascinating to watch play out.

• Options

<< <i>This debate is silly. It is obvious what he meant. In 2014 when the comments were made there was only one black Republican in Congress or the Senate.

Aaron

This article is from the ultra left Huffington Post.

I only raised the issue because one could have thought his popularity would have declined after those comments and with the overwhelming percentage of collectors being white there might have been an impact on his card values. Instead they chose to focus on the fact that he was one of the most prolific home run hitters of all time.

If you want to talk about the most recognized professional wrestlers of all time Hulk Hogan leads the list. He wasn't the best in ring performer. Heck he wasn't even the best on the microphone but he had presence and charisma and carried the business to heights no one could have ever imagined. He is a staple in American Pop Culture. When I shook his hand a few years ago you feel that massive celebrity presence. It is Hulk Hogan!!!

People can choose to turn their back on him if they want and maybe they will. That said when you look back on the past 36 years in this country there are very few athletes that have had the popularity he has and I personally think it is hard for that to be taken away. He is one of the most recognizable people in the entire world and this isn't his first character flaw to be exposed and won't be his last.

If people choose to put their idols on pedestals they are making a mistake because they are human. I found it amusing when loads of married guys quickly tried to bury Tiger Woods and say don't get married if you plan to cheat. Yet they have never been propositioned by a Vegas bottle server and a multitude of other women. It is easier said then done to not stray when they are throwing themselves at you. Had Tiger performed on the course all of his transgressions would have been forgotten even in the trail of tremendous heart ache on his ex wife and children. I personally think breaking up your family over making some hurtful remarks is a bigger deal and if people can look the other way with Tiger I think they can do the same with Hulk. Heck there was a time that Michael Jordan's gambling debts were blamed for his fathers death. Michael was no saint. He has bed thousands of women all the while being married at the time.

Hulk had been barely making appearances on WWE TV and had just recently began the show Tough Enough. It won't create a huge void in wrestling with him no longer with WWE and he just has to focus on improving his image over time. It is obviously very earlier in the process and will be fascinating to watch play out. >>

Of course the debate is silly, but some want to continue to make blind excuses for Hank Aaron, while they can't wait to tear Hulk Hogan apart.

You are right. Many of our athletes are very flawed characters away from their profession.
  • Options
    I wonder if Hank knows who the original party of the Klan was? A little history lesson might do him some good.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    In an effort to bring this thread back to Hulk Hogan.

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    That 3D card still kinda freaks me out.