Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A #2 Hulk Hogan PSA 9 Mint Hits EBAY....Ends Tonight!!

Comments

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I got my popcorn ready to see where this one ends....It should easily break 2k I imagine.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    this one has two bad things going for it.

1. borderline oc.
    2. probstein auction

be surprised if it surpasses the last one that just sold.
  • Options

<< <i>this one has two bad things going for it.

1. borderline oc.
    2. probstein auction

be surprised if it surpasses the last one that just sold. >>

Seems to be doing just fine........
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    $600 under.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$600 under. >>

If this card had better centering would you have bid?

A few years ago I bought a Hogan PSA 9 with similar centering and while it is a 9 I wanted one that looked like a 10 and paid quite a bit more for the next one.

I think this is a fine price considering the centering is a touch off and another copy just sold recently.

The card that sold prior to this one definitely had stronger eye appeal.

This is also the type of card that does better with more space between sales. The same thing happened when the Hogan first sold for $2,650. The next copy went for $1,850 and came to market shortly there after.

The one thing we all have to take into consideration when using auction prices is we have no clue what the real winning bid was. When I bought the similar Hogan that I am referencing above I won the card for $565. Had Rob not bid it would have been lower. That being said my max bid was $1,300 on that auction so the market value at the time was higher then the auction price reflected.

I have seen over the past few years surges in the prices of collectibles when a key wrestler dies and I would be willing to bet if Hulk Hogan passed away that you could get $4,999 in a Buy It Now that week on EBAY for one of these.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>$600 under. >>

I have seen over the past few years surges in the prices of collectibles when a key wrestler dies and I would be willing to bet if Hulk Hogan passed away that you could get $4,999 in a Buy It Now that week on EBAY for one of these. >>

I know some crazy things seem to happen in Florida but I hope you don't have any plans to harm the Hulkster DPeck!
  • Options
    yes, I woulda bid....as stated, eye appeal was much stronger! as for this one, corners were as strong as could be though. will give it that.

but then again it was a probstein auction as well so then again, I might not of.

looks like someone already tried to spook the market recently:

hogan death

but as a simple counterpoint...I've seen a 71 ryan 9 w terrible centering go for $5500, the next week one came up w. 50/50 centering and it went for almost $8K....in the end its about eye appeal and centering is probably the biggest concern, w corners running an extremely close 2nd.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>$600 under. >>

I have seen over the past few years surges in the prices of collectibles when a key wrestler dies and I would be willing to bet if Hulk Hogan passed away that you could get $4,999 in a Buy It Now that week on EBAY for one of these. >>

I know some crazy things seem to happen in Florida but I hope you don't have any plans to harm the Hulkster DPeck! >>

Haha

Let's hope the Hulkster has many years to go!

• Options

<< <i>yes, I woulda bid....as stated, eye appeal was much stronger! as for this one, corners were as strong as could be though. will give it that.

but then again it was a probstein auction as well so then again, I might not of.

looks like someone already tried to spook the market recently:

hogan death

but as a simple counterpoint...I've seen a 71 ryan 9 w terrible centering go for $5500, the next week one came up w. 50/50 centering and it went for almost $8K....in the end its about eye appeal and centering is probably the biggest concern, w corners running an extremely close 2nd. >>

I know for certain that my weakest one wouldn't sell for as much as my strongest one if they were made available to the marketplace.

The better the card the stronger the price in most cases unless the card simply never comes for sale or is extremely low pop.

• Options
    very true. and in the end, I'm not trying to take away that it was still a strong price for the card at all. I think it did very well, just not my Hogan 9. i'll get it eventually though!

I will be interested to see if this exact card pops up again on probstein site in about a week or so....seen it happen too many times to consider it a coincidence. which is probably why I stayed away for the most part vs the centering.
  • Options
    Happy 61st birthday Hulk Hogan!!!

• Options

<< <i>Happy 61st birthday Hulk Hogan!!! >>

When did you turn into greencrow? LOL
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Happy 61st birthday Hulk Hogan!!! >>

When did you turn into greencrow? LOL >>

I have a large stack of programs coming today from the AWA and I am really hoping that one has a Hogan order form.

That is a must own for my collection and I have yet to be able to figure out which program(s) it can be found in.

• Options
    Here are some Hogan order forms!!!!

• Options
    It happened again.

The Hogan PSA 9 pop dropped back to 10 and the Flair PSA 9 dropped back to 19.

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. Wondering where the +1s will end up at.
  • Options
    Like clock work. They are back!

Hogan Pop 11 and Flair Pop 20.

• Options
    Guess they didn't get the bump they were looking for.
  • Options

<< <i>Guess they didn't get the bump they were looking for. >>

Ergoism passed along some information that I think solves the mystery.

When a card is sent in for review the cert is no longer able to be looked up so it is likely that it is removed from the pop report temporarily until the review is complete.

• Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Guess they didn't get the bump they were looking for. >>

Ergoism passed along some information that I think solves the mystery.

When a card is sent in for review the cert is no longer able to be looked up so it is likely that it is removed from the pop report temporarily until the review is complete. >>

Same thing happens when you send in a mechanical error.
  • Options
    Sending in a review, you are hoping for a bump?
  • Options

<< <i>Sending in a review, you are hoping for a bump? >>

Yep

The last Flair PSA 10 was a bump.

• Options
    So how does that work? If you send a card back, they subtract it from the pop report and then update the pop report with the new grade.... If they change the grade doesn't that show that they misgraded the card in the first place? Or does the grader not know the original grade somehow?
  • Options

<< <i>So how does that work? If you send a card back, they subtract it from the pop report and then update the pop report with the new grade.... If they change the grade doesn't that show that they misgraded the card in the first place? Or does the grader not know the original grade somehow? >>

On a review they see the card in the holder that it currently resides in. If they feel it was under graded they will pop it out and put it into a fresh holder with the higher grade. The prior cert is no longer valid and new one is assigned.

If a card for example had a pop of 10 in the PSA 9 grade it would now drop to 9 and the PSA 10 grade would have a higher total.

• Options
    Is it good business practice to admit PSA misgraded a card? Or are people really only expecting half point bumps?
  • Options
    Duplicate post.
  • Options
    I just got this in the mail the other day.

Such a cool item.

It is Volume 79 and Issue number 41 so it should be from The week of Oct 25th 1979. This is one of Hulk's earliest appearances on a program leading up to when he got massive exposure in the WWWF as Hulk Hogan.

• Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Them are some tight shorts
  • Options
    82A

Super cool item!

It looks like the Hogan has the slight whitening in the right hand border. I would love to know if this is something that has held back a 9 from being graded a 10.

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>82A

Super cool item!

It looks like the Hogan has the slight whitening in the right hand border. I would love to know if this is something that has held back a 9 from being graded a 10. >>

Would love to get a Dick the Bruiser card. A local radio station back in the 80s here in Detroit had a DJ that did a voice parody of him. It was a regular skit on the show to have "Dick the Bruiser" on it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>82A

Super cool item!

It looks like the Hogan has the slight whitening in the right hand border. I would love to know if this is something that has held back a 9 from being graded a 10. >>

Would love to get a Dick the Bruiser card. A local radio station back in the 80s here in Detroit had a DJ that did a voice parody of him. It was a regular skit on the show to have "Dick the Bruiser" on it. >>

There are a few Dick the Bruiser cards to pick up.....the 1973 wrestling annual and the 1982 All Star are some of the best ones to acquire.
  • Options
    was looking at newest smr and has a Hogan 10 listed at "$3000+"...has one hit?
  • Options

<< <i>was looking at newest smr and has a Hogan 10 listed at "$3000+"...has one hit? >>

No.

I was communicating with the dealer from CA who has been scoring lots of high grade cards from the three sets and he has a buyer at a dramatically higher number then that if he ever lands one.

• Options
    oh, i'm sure there'd be several that would offer 2 - 3 times that. smr prices are fine for midgrades, but they still have 52 mantle psa 5s listed at $17K. i think everybody and their brother would buy them at that every time they came up.
  • Options

<< <i>Them are some tight shorts >>

The Golden Squeeze!
  • Options
    A 1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A #3 Mil Mascaras hit the pop report today in a PSA 9 and is now a Pop 2. It is a yellow card and very tough to find in great condition.

I purchased my copy several years ago and paid $194 at the time. If this hits EBAY it will get some action. I so wish I had bought the Tony Garea PSA 9 that night and could have won it for $127 and decided to see if I could find one myself. Bad move.

• Options
    1982 A Mascaras

I was really hoping this card would hit EBAY and I would have a chance at it.

What an amazing looking example. The centering on this card in general is tougher then the Andre and Hogan and is a very tough card in high grade.

Very anxious to get this in hand.

• Options
    Very cool. Congrats!
  • Options

<< <i>Very cool. Congrats! >>

Thanks!

When I first started collecting the cards I had never seen any footage of Mascaras. I went to Youtube to check out the clips of many of the wrestlers I had never seen and he was an incredible in ring worker.

• Options
    He definitely was popular in the early 1980s for sure. In fact they have several sets devoted to him in Japan.
  • Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    Nice card.
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Options
    Here is the scan. It is a very sharp card. This was a really exciting acquisition and addition to my collection. The centering from top to bottom is as good as it gets for a yellow card.

• Options
    Nice card! It's a blazer!
  • Options

<< <i>Nice card! It's a blazer! >>

Thanks!

I sent a scan to a dealer friend in CA who is a very accurate card grader and he thought this was a good candidate for a review. I might consider that at some point.

There were two fresh PSA 10's hit the pop report in the past two days from the 82 A set.

A Dick The Bruiser which is now a Pop 2 and a huge card Harley Race which is a Pop 1. There are only three PSA 9's and admittedly I never thought we would see a 10 on that card.

Here is my best Harley. I love this card.

• Options
    Wow that is wild that there is a gem mint floating around of Harley Race. Hope to see it at auction to see where it will go. The Bruiser is a huge addition to the market as well as any of those tough 1982 Series A cards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice card! It's a blazer! >>

Here is my best Harley. I love this card.

image >>

Do you have the original image this picture was cropped from? Awesome that a 10 is now out there!
  • Options
    Here are the Harley and Mascaras original photos. There is a better one of Harley that I would like to add to my collection and it is from the front of a WWWF program the night Hulk Hogan debuted but the seller has had it up for like $35 and that is more then I care to spend. I am hoping to find a copy cheaper.

• Options
    JYD PSA 8

I have always liked the JYD card. He was a huge star when these cards were made.

The Mid South Territory was a big deal at the time.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is cool stuff.

I didn't follow wrestling during this time period - I really don't remember Harley.

Super card.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>This is cool stuff.

I didn't follow wrestling during this time period - I really don't remember Harley.

Super card. >>

Thanks.

The Wrestling All Stars sets were put out by a magazine publisher and the photos used for the cards came from the stock photos they used in their various publications. I obviously have quite a few of the cards and decided to try and find the matching photos.

Harley Race was a big star in the 70's and early 80's and was the guy who passed the torch in the NWA to Ric Flair. His body doesn't look all that impressive but in a real fight during that time he was unbeatable and that went a long way in determining who was going to wear the belt. He held the NWA title 7 times. Once the mid 80's rolled around wrestling became even more show and the old timers like him and Dory Funk and so on moved to the under card and made way for the Ric Flair's and Hulk Hogan's to take the business to never before seen levels.