Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A #2 Hulk Hogan PSA 9 Mint Hits EBAY....Ends Tonight!!

Comments

• Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>ha! very, very true.

i still despise willie mays for the reverse-reasoning... >>

Hank Aaron made some very racist comments a year or so ago. No impact on his popularity and his card prices exploded. >>

i'm sure. it's part of their generation and while I don't fault them, as I am sure it was pure agony for them and the verbal and physical abuse they had to endure during that time period of american culture I can only imagine. as adults we learn to forgive however when your 8 years old and standing in line for 2 hours to get an auto and get shunned and the guy doesnt even reply to a my question or even acknowledge that i'm there, then I say screw'em

kinda wrote it off however the more ya dig on him, the vast and similar stories start to emerse and ya just come to the conclusion that james c. reilly was wrong in the guardian's movie and some guys really are "100% d!ck".
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a mistake to lump racism in with "some form of trouble." You are right that none of us are perfect, but there's a difference between being imperfect and being a hateful bigot. Hulk is clearly the latter. And no, I don't condone what Aaron or Mays said either. But what the Hulk said wasn't "imperfect," it wasn't "some form of trouble" and it wasn't "politically incorrect." It was hate speech. Politically incorrect is calling your flight attendant a stewardess. Calling your flight attendant a n****r is not the same. >>

I learned something new today. I didn't realize using the term stewardess was politically incorrect.

There are mostly males that visit this site. I would imagine at least one has been to a strip club and perhaps done something that their significant other wouldn't be excited to know about. Sin is sin. That is simply my point. I am not perfect and I don't kick people when they are down.
  • Options
    raykasaraykasa Posts: 186 ✭✭
    All my childhood heroes (Cosby, Bruce, Hulkster,) are now no more. All that's left is Snoopy, who sadly i've heard plenty of rumours about his 1500 puppies he's fathered without child support....
  • Options
    kerryvillekerryville Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    Well Hulkster will be back. Krammer from Seinfeld came back from the same situation. Time heals all wounds and this will be no different. Heck Mike Tyson raped someone and now he's a stinking hero.
    Looking for:
    1992 Collectors Edge Football case?
  • Options

<< <i>All my childhood heroes (Cosby, Bruce, Hulkster,) are now no more. All that's left is Snoopy, who sadly i've heard plenty of rumours about his 1500 puppies he's fathered without child support.... >>

• Options
    I saw this posted on my Facebook. Interesting post.

Carmine Sabia Jr.
    7 mins ·
    THE REAL ISSUE WITH THE HULK HOGAN RACIAL CONTROVERSY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE N WORD.
    As those of you who know me are aware I spent many years as a professional wrestling promoter before becoming a political pundit and journalist.
    When I first heard of Hulk Hogan’s comments on Friday I was disappointed. This is a man I admired as a kid. I don’t think any wrestling fan who was a kid in the 1980’s can say they weren’t a Hulk Hogan fan. His name transcends professional wrestling. Hogan is the Babe Ruth of the industry.
    As the day progressed and I wrote an article on it I started to think about the real issue. Yes Hulk Hogan said a reprehensible word but he said it to someone he thought was a friend, in a moment of anger at his daughter.
    Like what happened to Dog The Bounty Hunter and Paula Deen, words he used years ago are causing him to be punished now. But one has to understand the era in which Dog, Deen and Hogan were raised. The N word was a common word and while that doesn’t forgive it, it is safe to assume it doesn’t mean the same thing to them as it does to us today.
    But I’m not attempting to defend his use of the word.
    What I find more troubling is that in America today Big Brother is everywhere. At any point of any day you may be being recorded and not know it. And those recordings can be used against you at any point in the future to destroy you. If that isn’t George Orwell’s 1984 I don’t know what is.
    WWE itself has promoted many gimmicks over the years that can be, kindly, described as racist. From Kamala to Saba Simba to Akeem The African Dream the company’s history is littered with racist stereotypes.
    And yet in an effort to pander to the PC police it decided to erase Hulk Hogan from its history.
    Not just fire him but erase him from history, a move previously used for a man who murdered his wife and child before killing himself, Chris Benoit.
    Is that the point we are at in America?
    A racial slur is the equivalent of a double homicide / suicide?
    Moreover, why do people in our society take such glee at seeing someone destroyed?
    Ask yourselves if you were secretly recorded in a moment of anger what would the world hear you say?
    Would you be happy to have it made public?
    Would you stand by it?
    Are you comfortable being a part of a society where this is not only possible but probable, particularly for public figures?
    I say to you don’t judge Hulk Hogan on what he said in a moment of anger when he was secretly recorded.
    Be angry at a society that allows it to happen.
    Be angry at a society where someone’s words can destroy them if the PC police have their way.
    As the Lord Jesus said no one is devoid of sin.
    Think about it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>All my childhood heroes (Cosby, Bruce, Hulkster,) are now no more. All that's left is Snoopy, who sadly i've heard plenty of rumours about his 1500 puppies he's fathered without child support.... >>

image >>

That picture is classic. Haha 😃
  • Options

• Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>I saw this posted on my Facebook. Interesting post.

Carmine Sabia Jr.
    7 mins ·
    THE REAL ISSUE WITH THE HULK HOGAN RACIAL CONTROVERSY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE N WORD.
    As those of you who know me are aware I spent many years as a professional wrestling promoter before becoming a political pundit and journalist.
    When I first heard of Hulk Hogan’s comments on Friday I was disappointed. This is a man I admired as a kid. I don’t think any wrestling fan who was a kid in the 1980’s can say they weren’t a Hulk Hogan fan. His name transcends professional wrestling. Hogan is the Babe Ruth of the industry.
    As the day progressed and I wrote an article on it I started to think about the real issue. Yes Hulk Hogan said a reprehensible word but he said it to someone he thought was a friend, in a moment of anger at his daughter.
    Like what happened to Dog The Bounty Hunter and Paula Deen, words he used years ago are causing him to be punished now. But one has to understand the era in which Dog, Deen and Hogan were raised. The N word was a common word and while that doesn’t forgive it, it is safe to assume it doesn’t mean the same thing to them as it does to us today.
    What I find more troubling is that in America today Big Brother is everywhere. At any point of any day you may be being recorded and not know it. And those recordings can be used against you at any point in the future to destroy you. If that isn’t George Orwell’s 1984 I don’t know what is.
    WWE itself has promoted many gimmicks over the years that can be, kindly, described as racist. From Kamala to Saba Simba to Akeem The African Dream the company’s history is littered with racist stereotypes.
    And yet in an effort to pander to the PC police it decided to erase Hulk Hogan from its history.
    Not just fire him but erase him from history, a move previously used for a man who murdered his wife and child before killing himself, Chris Benoit.
    Moreover, why do people in our society take such glee at seeing someone destroyed?
    Ask yourselves if you were secretly recorded in a moment of anger what would the world hear you say?
    Would you stand by it?
    Are you comfortable being a part of a society where this is not only possible but probable, particularly for public figures?
    I say to you don’t judge Hulk Hogan on what he said in a moment of anger when he was secretly recorded.
    Be angry at a society where someone’s words can destroy them if the PC police have their way.
    Think about it. >>

And then there is this clod who knew there was a mic in front of him
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Similar to conversations I've had over on the world famous social media site. Small friend base, I know everybody on my list, but rational thinkers. I have had no one disagree with my post, similar to that below.

Carmine Sabia Jr.
    7 mins ·
    Would you stand by it?
    Think about it. >>

• Options
    Yes, the real problem is definitely that racists are now getting caught.

• Options

<< <i>Yes, the real problem is definitely that racists are now getting caught. >>

LMAO!!
  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

And then there is this clod who knew there was a mic in front of him >>

I guess he didn't know the Dominican Republic education system is like the Harvard of the South.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow the WWE to me would not exist without Hogan and they dump him for a word he said in private that hes now apologizing for. Weak image
  • Options
    Hulkamania will never die!!!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Hank Aaron made some very racist comments a year or so ago. No impact on his popularity and his card prices exploded. >>

Hank Aaron is black. I am not going to try to derail the thread by really getting into it, but for me--any many others--there is a huge difference. >>

Hank Aaron said that all white people who don't like Obama are racist. I take offense to that.

No one is defending what Hulk said. It is cringe worthy to read. That said I am not perfect, you are not perfect nor are any of us on this site. There isn't one human being that can say they have never said or done something that caught on camera or recording wouldn't find themselves in some form of trouble. >>

I also take offense to Hank Aaron's comments that all white people who don't like Obama are racists. Hank Aaron also compared Republicans who oppose Obama to the KKK.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Hank Aaron is black. I am not going to try to derail the thread by really getting into it, but for me--any many others--there is a huge difference. >>

Agree, 100%. >>

What is your point? So its ok for certain races to say racist comments is that what you are suggesting?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

+1

Not even close to analagous situations. Hogan never had to endure death threats or the vile rhetoric and treatment that Aaron had to endure going after Ruth's record.

Not defending Aaron's comments, either, but there is a HUGE difference between the two circumstances.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>There's a huge difference between what you just wrote about what Hank Aaron said and saying something *racist*. If you don't agree, agree to disagree.

I get the point about perfect people and the false idolization of many celebrities. Fact is, though, it happens. And, when the bubble pops and it becomes extremely uncool to like a person who is widely rebuked as racist--as for Michael Richards, Paula Deen, Mel Gibson, etc.--the damage is real, significant, and lasting. >>

Hank Aaron compared Republicans who oppose Obama to the KKK. That is definitely a racist comment.
    Just google "Hank Aaron kkk" and you will find the proof.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>There's a huge difference between what you just wrote about what Hank Aaron said and saying something *racist*. If you don't agree, agree to disagree.

I get the point about perfect people and the false idolization of many celebrities. Fact is, though, it happens. And, when the bubble pops and it becomes extremely uncool to like a person who is widely rebuked as racist--as for Michael Richards, Paula Deen, Mel Gibson, etc.--the damage is real, significant, and lasting. >>

Hank Aaron compared Republicans who oppose Obama to the KKK. That is definitely a racist comment. >>

In my opinion, his comments were way off base.
  • Options
    edited to one post below.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Hank Aaron said that all white people who don't like Obama are racist. I take offense to that.

No one is defending what Hulk said. It is cringe worthy to read. That said I am not perfect, you are not perfect nor are any of us on this site. There isn't one human being that can say they have never said or done something that caught on camera or recording wouldn't find themselves in some form of trouble. >>

Well said, dude. Thanks for being the voice of reason here.

How can one race use certain words in their music to catapult their careers to fame and fortune, while others of differing races are lectured on how horrible those words are to use, and their careers are literally destroyed for using them? Everyone claims they want to be equal, so why do we have such double standards? I don't know, but I feel our society is really messed up these days. It's no wonder we are so divided as a nation.
  • Options
    Offensive? Yes.

Prejudiced? Yes.

Discriminating? Yes.

Racist? No.

If you want to read about why, I recommend this.
  • Options

<< <i>Offensive? Yes.

Prejudiced? Yes.

Discriminating? Yes.

Racist? No.

If you want to read about why, I recommend this. >>

Hank Aaron comparing Republicans who oppose Obama to the Klu Klux Klan is racist and an insult to at least half the population.
    Google "Hank Aaron KKK" for proof he said that last year.
    You must be a Democrat.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I would hope that any person reading the article linked above would, at least, consider the possibility that their previous beliefs on the matter may have to be altered, to some extent.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    BGS 9.5

This guy is taking a huge gamble auctioning this off. I believe the highest a BGS 9.5 has ever brought was $1,550 in a straight auction. A Hogan PSA 10 would clear $10,000 easily.

• Options

<< <i>BGS 9.5

This guy is taking a huge gamble auctioning this off. I believe the highest a BGS 9.5 has ever brought was $1,550 in a straight auction. A Hogan PSA 10 would clear $10,000 easily. >>

It will be very interesting to see where this ends up. I agree that it is a huge gamble - though I could see supporters putting their money out there to back him up right now and it going for a lot. Plus, the spotlight is on him now - could draw more eyes and attention. On the flip side, as we've already discussed, some previous buyers could be turned off or no longer view the card as a solid investment in the long run. Lots of angles to this.
  • Options
    Ron Simmons - Harley Race

After this segment Hank Aaron tried to get wrestling off TBS. If you go back and watch lots of promos especially from territories in the south there was a ton of racism in wrestling.

I certainly can't relate to the hate that Hank Aaron went through, but to suggest that the reason I don't like Obama is he has a portion of black in him and then to take it a step further and suggest my views stem from alignment with the KKK is extremely insulting. After looking up the quote there was a ton of mail that came into the Braves organization on the matter.

People are getting offended by anything these days. Just this week there was outrage over a T-shirt Target is selling that says "Trophy" that is part of a female casual wear collection. Seriously?????

I am personally not easily offended myself but I promise you the fact that I wouldn't shake Obama's hand has nothing to do with his skin color. Nothing.

"Sure, this country has a black president, but when you look at a black president, President Obama is left with his foot stuck in the mud from all of the Republicans with the way he's treated," he said. "The bigger difference is that back then they had hoods. Now they have neckties and starched shirts."
  • Options

<< <i>"Sure, this country has a black president, but when you look at a black president, President Obama is left with his foot stuck in the mud from all of the Republicans with the way he's treated," he said. "The bigger difference is that back then they had hoods. Now they have neckties and starched shirts." >>

Out of context.

Full context:

"To remind myself," Aaron tells USA TODAY Sports, "that we are not that far removed from when I was chasing the record. If you think that, you are fooling yourself. A lot of things have happened in this country, but we have so far to go. There's not a whole lot that has changed.

"We can talk about baseball. Talk about politics. Sure, this country has a black president, but when you look at a black president, President Obama is left with his foot stuck in the mud from all of the Republicans with the way he's treated.

"We have moved in the right direction, and there have been improvements, but we still have a long ways to go in the country.

"The bigger difference is that back then they had hoods. Now they have neckties and starched shirts."

What Hogan said:

“I don’t know if Brooke was f---- the black guy’s son,” Hulk raved, the sources add.

“I mean, I don’t have double standards. I mean, I am a racist, to a point, f---- n*ggers. But then when it comes to nice people and s--t, and whatever.” ...

According to sources, he said: “I mean, I’d rather if she was going to f--- some n*gger, I’d rather have her marry an 8-foot-tall n*gger worth a hundred million dollars! Like a basketball player!

“I guess we’re all a little racist. F---- n*gger.”
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>BGS 9.5

This guy is taking a huge gamble auctioning this off. I believe the highest a BGS 9.5 has ever brought was $1,550 in a straight auction. A Hogan PSA 10 would clear $10,000 easily. >>

It will be very interesting to see where this ends up. I agree that it is a huge gamble - though I could see supporters putting their money out there to back him up right now and it going for a lot. Plus, the spotlight is on him now - could draw more eyes and attention. On the flip side, as we've already discussed, some previous buyers could be turned off or no longer view the card as a solid investment in the long run. Lots of angles to this. >>

When you click on completed listings for Hulk Hogan on EBAY his merchandise is selling. I am not sure if it is a faster pace but it is moving in manner that would lead you to believe his collectibles won't collapse in value.

There are many like myself who do not collect cards of people for their morality or integrity. I have quite a few Mike Tyson cards and it isn't because he is a good guy. It is because he was the most ferocious boxer perhaps of all time.

My personal belief is this situation will blow over one day. Hulk is a likable guy and this is a segment that took place eight years ago. Nothing out of his mouth can change the fact that he body slammed Andre The Giant in 1987 in front of 93,173 screaming fans. It cant change the fact that practically every little kid in 1985 wanted to have his yellow LJN figure.

Like my mom tells me when something goes wrong. This too shall pass.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>"Sure, this country has a black president, but when you look at a black president, President Obama is left with his foot stuck in the mud from all of the Republicans with the way he's treated," he said. "The bigger difference is that back then they had hoods. Now they have neckties and starched shirts." >>

Out of context.

Full context:

"To remind myself," Aaron tells USA TODAY Sports, "that we are not that far removed from when I was chasing the record. If you think that, you are fooling yourself. A lot of things have happened in this country, but we have so far to go. There's not a whole lot that has changed.

"We can talk about baseball. Talk about politics. Sure, this country has a black president, but when you look at a black president, President Obama is left with his foot stuck in the mud from all of the Republicans with the way he's treated.

"We have moved in the right direction, and there have been improvements, but we still have a long ways to go in the country.

"The bigger difference is that back then they had hoods. Now they have neckties and starched shirts."

What Hogan said:

“I don’t know if Brooke was f---- the black guy’s son,” Hulk raved, the sources add.

“I mean, I don’t have double standards. I mean, I am a racist, to a point, f---- n*ggers. But then when it comes to nice people and s--t, and whatever.” ...

According to sources, he said: “I mean, I’d rather if she was going to f--- some n*gger, I’d rather have her marry an 8-foot-tall n*gger worth a hundred million dollars! Like a basketball player!

“I guess we’re all a little racist. F---- n*gger.” >>

You are getting caught up in the level of offensiveness. They are both offensive. So only black folks can be upset over racism? Look I read Aaron's comments and thought wow that stinks and moved right on. They still matter.

Like I said before. Sin is sin. I am not religious but Jesus Christ wouldn't say massively hurtful words out of Hulk Hogan's mouth are worse then him doing large amounts of drugs or committing tons of adultery.

I don't live in a glass house so I don't throw stones. That is just how I live.

• Options
    My point is, if you read Breitbart or Warrior's writing, you'd think he said the GOP = KKK.

He did use the terms within 50 words of each other.

But, in my opinion, he was making a general claim that, despite improvements, there are still plenty of racists in the world. They are just not as open about it.

Agree or disagree, offensive or not, that is a world apart from what Hulk Hogan said.

<< <i>So only black folks can be upset over racism? >>

David, I know that you're a smart guy. Give a read to the link I posted. My point wasn't that there aren't personally offensive things that any person can do toward another, just that it is not *racism* because the concept of racism contains a level of nuance in that it must be underpinned by broader social dynamics.
  • Options
    I only posted the quote because it was all that was necessary. Including the entire paragraph doesn't change what he meant.

Essentially what you are saying is that because he dealt with racism he can be racist himself. If that is how you feel that is cool.

• Options
    Anyway - I previously said that I did not mean to derail. And, there's few things more foolhardy than trying to change other's opinions about intense social issues over the Internet.

So, agree to disagree!

I'll be watching the sale you posted. Very interesting.
  • Options

<< <i>My point is, if you read Breitbart or Warrior's writing, you'd think he said the GOP = KKK.

But, in my opinion, he was making a general claim that, despite improvements, there are still plenty of racists in the world. They are just not as open about it.

Agree or disagree, offensive or not, that is a world apart from what Hulk Hogan said.

<< <i>So only black folks can be upset over racism? >>

David, I know that you're a smart guy. Give a read to the link I posted. My point wasn't that there aren't personally offensive things that any person can do toward another, just that it is not *racism* because the concept of racism contains a level of nuance in that it must be underpinned by broader social dynamics. >>

The only time I spend thinking about racism is when Al Sharpton tries to start a race riot. Other then that I go about my daily business.

Unfortunately with the current administration race relations have gone backwards due to the race card being played for everything. It is a real shame.

• Options

<< <i>Anyway - I previously said that I did not mean to derail. And, there's few things more foolhardy than trying to change other's opinions about intense social issues over the Internet.

So, agree to disagree!

I'll be watching the sale you posted. Very interesting. >>

I don't get worked up over a message board about how people feel about social issues like this. What Hogan said was wrong. Period. I personally just don't believe in this movement to bury people personally and financially because of errors in their character.

This movement of being punitive to human beings is really scary. You make one wrong comment in an online post and you can be fired.
  • Options
    Hogan red LJN

This just sold for $900. The more rare LJN figure. His collectibles will be just fine.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What he said. It's blatant ignorance and being a damn fool to take a word that's vilified universally by sharp , educated, fair minded people and use it in either form be it "a" at the end or "er" at the end and make money off it. Absolutely foolish. And I don't wanna hear "oh, it's okay for one race to use it". No it's not. Anyone who says that is part of the damn problem and adding to it.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

How can one race use certain words in their music to catapult their careers to fame and fortune, while others of differing races are lectured on how horrible those words are to use, and their careers are literally destroyed for using them? Everyone claims they want to be equal, so why do we have such double standards? I don't know, but I feel our society is really messed up these days. It's no wonder we are so divided as a nation. >>

• Options
    I think a main contributor to most of society's problems is when a person takes the viewpoint that there is virtue in the idea that "my opinion will not change, no matter what information (or opposing viewpoint/argument) is presented me."

A segment of the population feels that way, about a variety of topics. Some will state it proudly, like a badge of honor. Others are not aware that they function that way, but in reality, they do. It is dangerous.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options

<< <i>I only posted the quote because it was all that was necessary. Including the entire paragraph doesn't change what he meant.

Essentially what you are saying is that because he dealt with racism he can be racist himself. If that is how you feel that is cool. >>

I concur!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think a main contributor to most of society's problems is when a person takes the viewpoint that there is virtue in the idea that "my opinion will not change, no matter what information (or opposing viewpoint/argument) is presented me."

A segment of the population feels that way, about a variety of topics. Some will state it proudly, like a badge of honor. Others are not aware that they function that way, but in reality, they do. It is dangerous. >>

That is a very accurate point~I have always felt that one of the better traits of an enlightened individual is the willingness to change a preconceived notion or opinion, however entrenched, in the wake of a compelling or persuasive argument, whether it be about sports or any other topic. That said, I don't think this is the appropriate venue for this kind of debate, as folks typically get overly defensive or antagonistic in these threads.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>My point is, if you read Breitbart or Warrior's writing, you'd think he said the GOP = KKK.

charrigan what do you not understand about hank aaron comparing republicans who oppose obama to the kkk?
    here's the article below:

ATLANTA (CBS Atlanta/AP) — Baseball Hall of Famer Hank Aaron compared Republicans that oppose President Barack Obama to the Ku Klux Klan.
    Speaking to USA Today Tuesday on the 40th anniversary of his then record-breaking 715th home run, the 80-year-old Aaron said that Republicans are hindering Obama’s job performance.
    “Sure, this country has a black president, but when you look at a black president, President Obama is left with his foot stuck in the mud from all of the Republicans with the way he’s treated,” Aaron told USA Today Sports.
    Aaron continued: “The bigger difference is that back then they had hoods. Now they have neckties and starched shirts.”
    Aaron stated that there is still room for improvement for race relations in the U.S.
    “We have moved in the right direction, and there have been improvements, but we still have a long ways to go in the country,” Aaron told USA Today Sports.
    Aaron goes on to describe the racist letters he has kept for decades as he was chasing Babe Ruth’s home run record.
    “To remind myself that we are not that far removed from when I was chasing the record,” Aaron explained to USA Today Sports. “If you think that, you are fooling yourself. A lot of things have happened in this country, but we have so far to go. There’s not a whole lot that has changed.”
    Aaron was honored before the Braves game against the New York Mets on Tuesday night with a ceremony commemorating the 40th anniversary of his 715th home run, the one that pushed him past Babe Ruth and gave him the major league record.
    Aaron finished with 755 home runs, but was eventually passed on the career list by Barry Bonds, whose career was tarnished by steroids allegations. Bonds has 762 homers, but many baseball fans don’t accept that number and stand by Aaron as the true record-holder.
    Speaking with reporters after the ceremony, Selig was asked about Aaron being called the true home run king.
    “I’m always in a sensitive spot there, but I’ve said that myself and I’ll just leave it at that,” Selig said.
    During the ceremony Braves chairman Terry McGuirk said Aaron “set the home-run record the old-fashioned way” and added “You will always be the home run king of all time.”
    Retired Braves broadcaster Pete Van Wieren earned a big ovation when he said Aaron is “still recognized as baseball’s true home run king.”
    Aaron, 80, was given a standing ovation in the ceremony before the game. Aaron broke Ruth’s record with his homer on April 8, 1974, off the Dodgers’ Al Downing.
    Downing attended the ceremony and threw out the first pitch. Some of Aaron’s 1974 teammates returned, including Dusty Baker, who was on-deck when the record-breaking homer was hit, Ralph Garr, Phil Niekro, Ron Reed, Marty Perez and Tom House, who caught the homer in the bullpen.
    Aaron thanked fans “for all your kindness all these many years.” Aaron, recovering from recent hip-replacement surgery, used a walker.
    “The game of baseball was a way that I relaxed myself each year that I went on the field for 23 years,” Aaron said. “I gave baseball everything that I had, everything, every ounce of my ability to play the game I tried to play to make you the fans appreciate me more. Thank you.”
    Selig, Aaron’s longtime friend, established the Hank Aaron Award in 1999 to honor the top hitter in each league.
    He called Aaron’s 715th homer “the most famous and treasured record in American sports.”
    Selig said Aaron was a worthy successor to Ruth as home-run king “because he is the living embodiment of the American spirit. … Baseball is forever our national pastime because of people like Henry Aaron.”
    The Braves wore their 1970s era white-and-blue uniforms, complete with small “a” caps, in tribute to Aaron. The Braves are wearing an Aaron 40th anniversary patch on their uniform sleeves this season.
    The numbers “715” were painted on the outfield grass, stretching from left-center to right-center.
    The Braves unveiled Aaron jerseys from other college and professional teams in the Atlanta area. Falcons owner Arthur Blank, former Georgia coach and athletic director Vince Dooley and former Georgia Tech coach Bill Curry were among those who stood with their teams’ jerseys adorned with Aaron’s name and No. 44.
    The outfield was filled with fans, each wearing blue 44 Braves jerseys and each holding baseball-shaped signs bearing numbers from 1 to 715.
    (TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
  • Options
    I do think it mistates the case to say that Hogan is being punished for his comments. The fact is that WWE cut ties with him swiftly as a business decision. They felt that having him affiliated with their publicly traded company would hurt the value of the stock. This was a free market decision as opposed to a socially conscious, "political correctness" position. I would guess it would have been handled quite differently if McMahon still owned the company outright.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>BGS 9.5

It will be very interesting to see where this ends up. I agree that it is a huge gamble - though I could see supporters putting their money out there to back him up right now and it going for a lot. Plus, the spotlight is on him now - could draw more eyes and attention. On the flip side, as we've already discussed, some previous buyers could be turned off or no longer view the card as a solid investment in the long run. Lots of angles to this. >>

considering I just sold him this card on Monday, he will have to get roughly $2300 to breakeven....
  • Options

<< <i>I do think it mistates the case to say that Hogan is being punished for his comments. The fact is that WWE cut ties with him swiftly as a business decision. They felt that having him affiliated with their publicly traded company would hurt the value of the stock. This was a free market decision as opposed to a socially conscious, "political correctness" position. I would guess it would have been handled quite differently if McMahon still owned the company outright. >>

Keeping Hogan on would do no harm to the stock. The market was down Friday so that may have had more to do with the decline in WWE shares but they did indeed shed 3.66%.

There is a part of me that thinks this may be an issue where they are relieved to be able to part ways. Hogan is no longer the ratings draw he once was and the show he was co hosting Tough Enough has not done well. His merchandise may sell but it cannibalizes sales of other favorites and the pie probably doesn't shrink in his absence. Obviously with his name recognition he doesn't come cheap and that was one of the reasons TNA didn't renew his contract. It is no secret that it has been costly cash wise for the WWE to put out the network and purposely cannibalize their PPV sales in an effort to transition viewers to it. This may help with cash flow issues in reality.

There are a number of black employees that work for the company and had WWE simply suspended him the left would be putting massive pressure on them and insinuating they are a racist organization. In today's PC environment they really had no choice.

Time heals all wounds and Hogan has had so many blunders over the years I think he can recover from this. It won't be overnight but he has legions of fans and wrestling fans are very loyal.

• Options

<< <i>I only posted the quote because it was all that was necessary. Including the entire paragraph doesn't change what he meant.

Essentially what you are saying is that because he dealt with racism he can be racist himself. If that is how you feel that is cool. >>

Pretty much what happened with Hank is that he was offended that everyone doesn't agree with his friend running the show, so his underlying real feelings leaked out. And this is coming from a guy who doesn't even support the party being bashed by Hank.

*Edited to be more "politically correct".

• Options

<< <i>What he said. It's blatant ignorance and being a damn fool to take a word that's vilified universally by sharp , educated, fair minded people and use it in either form be it "a" at the end or "er" at the end and make money off it. Absolutely foolish. And I don't wanna hear "oh, it's okay for one race to use it". No it's not. Anyone who says that is part of the damn problem and adding to it.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

How can one race use certain words in their music to catapult their careers to fame and fortune, while others of differing races are lectured on how horrible those words are to use, and their careers are literally destroyed for using them? Everyone claims they want to be equal, so why do we have such double standards? I don't know, but I feel our society is really messed up these days. It's no wonder we are so divided as a nation. >>

image >>

Get disgusted all you want. It's the truth.
  • Options
    double post
  • Options
    This was pretty obvious from reading the full context of what Hank said.

Fact Check
  • Options
    And, is wayyyyy beside the point - but if you're going to bring up irrelevant material, at least be right about it.