Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

R.I.P. ... PAY IT FORWARD...

Comments

• vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is that a tear in the wrapper by the "BA" in "BALL" or something on the scanner? >>

I just looked at the pack as it was right in front of me. It's not a tear in the wrapper but is sort of like a spider vein. Don't know what would cause that.

Jeff
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I collected unopened basketball, I'd jump on that pack!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭
    I'm really in the mood to look at some Big Hair, some sideburns, some red/white/blue sweatbands, and some really short shorts. But where would I ever find cards that offered all of this?
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    What is that between the ke in basket?

<< <i>What is that between the ke in basket? >>

I have this pack blown up to twice the actual size. I don't know what that is. Maybe wax from the pack that was on top. This offer got nitpicked to much so it's off the table. I'll go dig something else out. Give me 5 minutes to scan and upload. image

Jeff

EDIT:

Ok the current offering is the 2 rack packs below.

1979 Grocery rack with small tear on corner of plastic and it feels like the gum is broke. (great pack for opening)
    1983 Topps rack with Ripkin on top. This one's in perfect condition.

NEW OFFER BELOW
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm really in the mood to look at some Big Hair, some sideburns, some red/white/blue sweatbands, and some really short shorts. But where would I ever find cards that offered all of this? >>

NTTAWWT. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
    Bump. Will try one more offer in a bit , but if that doesn't go i'll have to pass on the lot I took.
    Ok last try and i'm out. 1975-76 Topps hockey rack pack. I got this as part of an earlier pif trade. I don't collect hockey so hopefully someone that does can give it a good home. BBCE has this exact pack pictured on their website for $110

Thanks for looking
    Jeff

• scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    Well this is unexpected... After many people called for the thread to be reset/lowered in value, no one is taking anything. That '79 baseball wax tray was GREAT. I've pulled some really nice cards out of those before.
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • jnorlundjnorlund Posts: 75 ✭✭
    I'll take the Hockey rack. Posting mine.....
    Here's my lot. Edit - NVM
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Hey guys,

It will be nice to once again get this thread going! Jarrod had a great idea when he started this thread.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

<< <i>I'll take the Hockey rack. Posting mine..... >>

Thank goodness. It's like pulling teeth to try and give stuff away these days. It's all yours Jay. I will send out as soon as one of your lots is claimed.

Jeff
  • milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭
    Man I really wanted that hockey rack but I did not have enough time to look for something to put up.

That would have been nice to have with one of my Broad Street Bullies on top..............
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
    Updated lots B & C to make them more enticing.
    2 full days and no bites. Not sure if the thread already died or not, but I won't hold it up: I'm Out. Sorry vettfanatic. On the plus side, it sounds like milbroco wants the rack and maybe he can post something to get it going again?
  • 76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, what is the current lot ? I was interested in the 79 grocery and ripken racks, but I'm trying to think of what I have to put up. Let me know if those are still available.
    I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So, what is the current lot ? >>

+1
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • The hockey rack pack is the current lot.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
    Well it looks like this is back on me. Choose one of the following lots.

The 1974-75 basketball pack was taken by Bporter
    If somebody doesn't take this lot soon, my week is gonna be up and I'M going to take that '79 grocery pack! There could be a $10k Ozzie RC in there fellas, why not take a chance?
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I thought if noone took anything within 24 hours then it was fair game and you didnt have to wait a week??
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys, I am sorry. I thought I was on the $20 pay it thread. I deleted my posts. Sorry.
    Got the Rickey Henderson today. Thanks Jarrod. Looks like my lot has been given back for the 2nd time though so I really shouldn't have gotten the card yet. Guess i'm stuck putting stuff up now till someone keeps one.

Jeff
    I gotta say I think this thread is dead. I feel handcuffed with the max value of $100. These lower priced lots just don't have that WOW factor that gets people to jump on them like the more expensive lots did. I'll try one more lot in a bit, but if that doesn't go i'm out. I'll just pay Jarrod fair market value for the Henderson and leave it up to him to continue or not.

Jeff
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
    Is the Stargell a 76 or 79?
    It's for one, but if that's not good enough Ill pull my stuff. Each is valued at $50 or more
    Sorry for the error. I need glasses.
    Thanks,
    Bob

<< <i>I will take the 1976 graded pack with Stargell on top.
    IMy offering will be a 1978 Topps Hockey set with 2 regular Mike Bossy rookies. Scans to be up shortly.
    Thanks,
    Bob >>

Bob .. there is NO such item up for the taking. That is a Stargell card graded PSA 9. If that were a pack it would be worth SIGNIFICANTLY more.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    I would like to retract my take on the pay it forward and my offering due to my needing glasses.
    Thanks,
    Bob
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 76 cello with Stargell on top would retail for probably twice the max limit of this thread.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    To clear any confusion, the current offering is from BPorter26. One of four lots.....a 1979 baseball rack, a 1976 Stargell PSA9, a 1986 Fleer Bonds PSA 10, and a Joe Mauer autographed mimi helmet.
    Again, sorry for the confusion. I should go back to drinking to clear my mind..........................
    Bob
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To clear any confusion, the current offering is from BPorter26. One of four lots.....a 1979 baseball rack, a 1976 Stargell PSA9, a 1986 Fleer Bonds PSA 10, and a Joe Mauer autographed mimi helmet.
    Again, sorry for the confusion. I should go back to drinking to clear my mind..........................
    Bob >>

Not a big deal. It is a 76 Stargell, but Bobby (by mistake)put 79 in the description. Someone take one of these and keep this going!
    Love that Raines card!
    ttt
    I'm pulling my stuff and done participating on these type of threads. Sorry guys
    It seems single lots of 1 or 2 cards do best on this thread.
  • Is it time to stick a fork in this?
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926

<< <i>I gotta say I think this thread is dead. I feel handcuffed with the max value of $100. These lower priced lots just don't have that WOW factor that gets people to jump on them like the more expensive lots did. I'll try one more lot in a bit, but if that doesn't go i'm out. I'll just pay Jarrod fair market value for the Henderson and leave it up to him to continue or not.

Jeff >>

I also wonder if the $100 limit has something to do with the loss of interest? Even though I have only taken one lot, I would check the thread every day to see what was being offered. Since the "reset" I rarely even look anymore.

I agree with Jeff that the WOW factor is gone.

For example If Bobby wants to take a card that is worth $200, but offer up a card that is worth $250 I think that is up to bobby.

The problem is when someone takes Bobby's $250 card and then in return they offer up a $150 card or 3 cards worth $50 bucks each. Maybe it would help if the card(s) they put up has to have a value of at least 90% of what they took.

Example:

Take $250 - Offer up at least $225 or more
    Take $225 - Offer up at least $202 or more

Edit to add:

I also think that part of the problem is when someone says "I will take it" but they back out a few days later it puts the burden back on someone who had their lot taken originally.

I know that recently someone had their lot taken 2 or 3 times before they were actually able to complete the deal and mail their lot. I think if someone says "I will take it" the cards should be sent to them. If nobody takes their lot then they should be responsible for posting what they took and the burden of shipping should fall back to them.

Since I am giving my opinions I will give a few more. There should be a limit to how long someone has to post their lot once they take a lot. They should not be able to take a lot on a Thursday, but say they won't be able to post a new lot until Tuesday.

I also think scans need to be included especially if they are offering up raw cards.

These are all my opinions and maybe no one else sees it this way, but I think this is a great thread and was fun to take part in. I just think it needs a few tweeks.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
    Ironic people complaining about limit...never participated before or after the limit change.
    I think what killed it was the fact that people would take an item with a value of "x" and put back up an item valued at quite a bit less than "x". Unfortunately there were a couple of people on these boards that did that more than once. Instead of a PAY IT FORWARD thread, these people looked at it as a "How much can I make on this deal" thread.

I also agree that limiting the value to $100.00 has taken away the WOW factor for many people.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• << <i>I think what killed it was the fact that people would take an item with a value of "x" and put back up an item valued at quite a bit less than "x". Unfortunately there were a couple of people on these boards that did that more than once. Instead of a PAY IT FORWARD thread, these people looked at it as a "How much can I make on this deal" thread.

I also agree that limiting the value to $100.00 has taken away the WOW factor for many people. >>

+1

Personally the value should be closer to $150 or $200

Items valued at $100 are not very special, most people have everything they want in that value range.

Dave
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926

<< <i>Ironic people complaining about limit...never participated before or after the limit change. >>

I am not sure if this was directed to me or not, but since I edited my post above to add my opinions I will add that I did take a lot once.

I took a PSA 1970 OPC Rose and offered up a PSA 1973 Schmidt RC back on October 23, 2012

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation

• << <i>I think if someone says "I will take it" the cards should be sent to them. If nobody takes their lot then they should be responsible for posting what they took and the burden of shipping should fall back to them. >>

This ^^^
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
    Guys, I'm fine to change the wording in the title back so that no limit is specified. I thinking keeping the value near the same is key though. I liked Bunker's 90% idea, but who is going to police that? And what if it's a unique item?

I'm open to whatever. Maybe it's run its course, maybe it's getting ready to explode again. As long as people post small lots of quality items, I think it'll keep going. Maybe not at the clip of 6 or 7 transactions a day, but that's okay.

Open to any thoughts. If you want the limit lifted, please let me know.

<< <i>

<< <i>Ironic people complaining about limit...never participated before or after the limit change. >>

I am not sure if this was directed to me or not, but since I edited my post above to add my opinions I will add that I did take a lot once.

I took a PSA 1970 OPC Rose and offered up a PSA 1973 Schmidt RC back on October 23, 2012 >>

Bunker...I posted that before you edited. You have help this thread along with many others.