Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

R.I.P. ... PAY IT FORWARD...

Please do not post any comments in this thread. Simply post lots and say "I'll take it". If you don't like the way it's run, don't play. Thanks! image

Maybe this has been tried before, I don't know... But let's give it a shot!

Here is the deal: I'm going to give away these cards to the first person who wants them and posts that on this thread. Free, including shipping. In turn, that person MUST offer a card(s) free to the next taker by posting them on this thread, and so on, and so on...

Due to the increasing value of the items being offered, please offer up something of approximately the same value of the lot you took.

RULES:
-You must have been a CU member for 6+ months
-You must have at least 50 posts
-If you claim some cards, you must post your offering within 24 hours
-Only one offer at a time. No new cards can be posted until the existing offer has been claimed
-Post pics or scans of the cards you're giving away. Cell phone pics are fine if that's all you can get
-Please keep card values at or under $100
-Don't take cards if you've got nothing similar to offer in return
-Ship cards quickly so people aren't left hanging
-Only one "I'll take it!" every 7 days per member. However, if an item is not claimed within 24 hours, anyone is welcome to take it (no matter when they last claimed cards). Just don't be greedy!
-US only. Sorry international friends, but shipping can get expensive
-Be honest
-Have fun!

To start this off, I'm offering a '75 Topps mini Steve Carlton and a '91 Score Chipper Jones RC. Both cards are NM/MT+ but centering is as you see it. The first person to state "I'll take 'em!" will get a PM from me later asking for your address. *EDIT - These cards are headed to zep33. Enjoy!*

2.5 is pretty much my speed.

Comments

• zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Can't believe no one has jumped in yet. Great idea

and I'll start it off with an "I'll take 'em"

Now I'll go dig something else up for the next guy

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool thread! And I would love to have seen Chipper face Carlton!
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Fun idea ... as long as everyone stays honest and plays according to the rules. Let's enjoy guys!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    OK, sorry for the delay. Had my USB turntable hooked up where my scanner goes and had to switch a few things around.

Here's what's up for the next guy - Couple Harpers and a Ruth

First one to post that they want them gets a PM for the address

I want them!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Will be putting something up tomorrow.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

PLEASE SEE MY POST from Sunday May 6, 2012 with new cards I am Paying Forward.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Let's keep this thread on the first page!!!! image
  • Very cool idea. I'll be on the lookout for stuff that I might want!
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • ToroToro Posts: 1,515
    This is cool, I liked zep's lot better....haha..I will keep a look out, I do like that Clemente though.
  • kerryvillekerryville Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    When I grow up to 100 posts I will get in on this!
    Looking for:
    1992 Collectors Edge Football case?
  • Ate at the Outback last night with 6 other golfers in Myrtle Beach. Bought a young couple their dinner and said enjoy and just pay it forward tomorrow!! Life, what is it if you don't impact people in a positive way? Purpose driven life, go get it!!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread immediately reminded me of Woody Hayes. Nice idea. If each person sends something just a bit nicer than he receives how long until we get to the 1952 Mantle we tried to trade up to a while back? image I'll be keeping a lookout for the cards I am focused on and certainly send something a little nicer. After this continues a while the 90 day limit may cause this to stagnate a bit. When that happens perhaps that requirement could be revisited.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

<< <i>After this continues a while the 90 day limit may cause this to stagnate a bit. When that happens perhaps that requirement could be revisited. >>

I agree with this. In addition, if the cards that you put up are not taken within 3 days, maybe you should be required to put up new/additional cards. That is what I am thinking of doing tomorrow with the ones I put up.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

OK ... putting up these cards as my way of PAYING IT FORWARD.

First person to reply "I'LL TAKE 'EM" gets 'em.

.......................................................................................................The Franco Harris is a real nice looking "6".

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• If that Clemente were cleaned up, I think you would have had a few takers by now. Picky little bunch on this board. lol

Edit:Spelling
  • Hi,

Doug,

I'll take the lot.

Up for grabs is a 1952 Wheaties Musial

• kerryvillekerryville Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    Somebody take that musial please. I will have to make up posts to make a 100.image
    Looking for:
    1992 Collectors Edge Football case?
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    OK - I'll be glad to take that Musial.

Since we've done baseball and football already, I'll be the first to throw out some hockey and see if anyone is interested. A few nicely graded PSA Hall of Famers (including four PSA 10's - a couple of a guy named Gretzky you may have heard about).

Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Dang... beat me to it. lol

Fun thread
  • cpettimdcpettimd Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    putting up these cards:
    Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.
    Hey Doc ... did you take the hockey cards? If not I think you should hold off on putting cards up until you take cards or else this thread will get a little confusing.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Doug. Sorry my bad. I think I misread the rules. I did not take the hockey cards. Should I remove my post ?
    Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.
  • scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    Oops, edit!
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Chris, either take the hockey cards, or pull your items.
    OK sorry again - do not want to mess up a good thing
    I will now take the hockey cards
    My 2 items are put up
    SCMAVL is going to take them I think
  • PlanemonkeyPlanemonkey Posts: 543 ✭✭
    Nice card.
    Yount is still available.
    I'm confused. Did Planemonkey take the Yount? It does not say.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• PlanemonkeyPlanemonkey Posts: 543 ✭✭
    Yount is still available. Sorry for the confusion.
  • jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    oops...........
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Whoever took the musial please pm me info before noon tomorrow so I can get it out.

<< <i>Whoever took the musial please pm me info before noon tomorrow so I can get it out. >>

Sean ... PowderedH2O took the card. Send him a PM.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I would like to play....what is the current card?

• << <i>I would like to play....what is the current card? >>

The current card is the Yount
    What is the value supposed to be, and when I put something up, it needs to be of equal value, right?

• << <i>What is the value supposed to be, and when I put something up, it needs to be of equal value, right? >>

Approximately, yes. I believe it is about $20-$30 right now, that is about what the Musial is ($20-$30)
  • My card goes out this morning, what sort of PM's were you getting? There is always someone on these boards that must ruin everything...
    That is horrible. I thought this was a FANTASTIC idea!!!
  • Why does it need to be discontinued? I was going to offer up something cool to keep this going.

Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Well, as Jarrod said - he got PM's with not so positive feedback, so I'm sure some one decided to try and sh*t in peoples mouths as is always done on the boards.
    Mike, if you want to keep it going, please feel free. I just do not want to "moderate" it anymore. I was hoping the thread would kind of run itself...
  • 1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭
    I liked the idea too. Was just wating til I saw something I was interested in. Would love to keep it going.
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought this thread was a great idea too. If anyone backs out or does not follow through with a deal, I can't see how it would come back to scmavl. Its up to the recipient to make good on his word of paying it forward.
    Due to the posts and PM's asking to keep the thread going, let's do just that. however, I will not respond to any PM/emails having to do with this thread (or the rules) unless you and I are exchanging cards. Fair enough? image Let's keep it fun.

Here are some '52 Topps in lower grade for the first taker.

• I know this has already been changed once:

"-Only one "I'll take them!" every 30 days per member... don't be greedy!"

But, you are "paying forward", and offering something of equal or greater value. So I think if there is something you like that comes up, you should be able to take it. I think a month is still pretty excessive, I think a week is better, because there will probably end up being maybe 40-50 people told, but if everyone has already gone through then no one will be able to take them and offer something else.

Can I get others input on this? I think a week is plenty of time, that will mean at least 10 or 15 "I'll take them"'s would have already happened by then - and this won't restrict it so much so that only 1 or 2 new people can participate because everyone is out for a month.

<< <i>I know this has already been changed once:

"-Only one "I'll take them!" every 30 days per member... don't be greedy!"

But, you are "paying forward", and offering something of equal or greater value. So I think if there is something you like that comes up, you should be able to take it. I think a month is still pretty excessive, I think a week is better, because there will probably end up being maybe 40-50 people told, but if everyone has already gone through then no one will be able to take them and offer something else.

Can I get others input on this? I think a week is plenty of time, that will mean at least 10 or 15 "I'll take them"'s would have already happened by then - and this won't restrict it so much so that only 1 or 2 new people can participate because everyone is out for a month. >>

Yes, I thought 90 would be too long and 30 might be better, but it all depends on involvement. I'm game to hear opinions on this.

7 days?

14 days?

I just don't want it to turn into a "let me get something cool and dump some crap I don't want" thread.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If those 1952 Topps Beaters are still available I will take them.

I will in return offer a PSA 9 Thurman Thomas Rookie ( 1989 Score ) and 3 Topps Chrome Chris Johnson Rookies as well as a few Tom Brady cards.