Home Sports Talk

Ok, he's gone, where do we go from here?

Comments

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I survived the wedding and the drive. Cruise control just under 80 allowed me to make it in 4.5 hours going and 4 hours on the return...not bad, it went quickly. Interstate all the way from Atlanta via Birmingham to Meridian. Lotsa cops and radar, but keeping it around 77-78 gets you by. They want the bigger fish doing 90+.

The wedding was in a rural church south of Meridian, MS in a little town called Whynot. Standing room only and the programs were used for fans to keep cool as best we could. The heat outside was a BEAR, temp in the upper 90s and humidity not far behind. Had a rain shower while the wedding was going on, which seemed to increase the humidity as we all kinda died outside the church...tie now loosened and shirt unbuttoned. The reception was "different", again a rural "building" which was overflowing with people. Kinda disorganized at best, but it was what it was, I got my "family ticket punched" and that was that. The bride reminded me (and others) of Shania Twain, they made a nice couple.

Back in the room I begin surfing channels and what do I see??? FoxSouth was broadcasting the Red Sox game. Gee, musth've been my payback for the hassle of making the trip. A much needed win...kinda sad to see the Youkilis thing unfolding and it is just about a lock that he is gone. A-Gon continues to choke, the newbies are keeping the Sox in contention.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WTF, Bucholz on the DL for intestinal bleeding from too much Ibuprofin? what the hell is he overdosing on Ibuprofin for? The kid is way to young to need that much are you kidding me? Just another DL trip for one of our guys who is playing well.

Im ok with Youk being shipped out,its been coming for a while now. Sorta like when it was time for Nomar and Manny to go.

Al glad you survived the trip image
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Youk reportedly going to White Sox.

Leaves Papi as the only remaining member of the 2004 championship team.
    Capecards
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Youk reportedly going to White Sox.

Leaves Papi as the only remaining member of the 2004 championship team. >>

nothing around here with the White Sox rumor, but the Boston Globe did report that the Youkilis name plate was not on his locker after the game.
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm off to a wedding in Meridian, MS this AM...should be 95 degrees at 4PM, peak heat time. FORCED to wear a shirt and tie, the tie will disappear as soon as the church deal is ovah!!! Five hour drive through Alabama...I'd rather go to the dentist. Back tomorrow.

Sox didn't look so hot last night. >>

Something wrong with driving through Alabama? I'm not from there, but that was kind of dbag comment.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

All they did was give him away and pay most of his salary.

Not a good move to let him stay in the AL.

That was a classy move though after he got the triple the way Valentine took him out of the game and then called him back out of the dugout for a standing ovation.

He will be missed.
    Mcadams...Something wrong with driving through Alabama? I'm not from there, but that was kind of dbag comment.

The comment was pretty much "tongue in cheek", perhaps you know what that means. You ever joke about stuff? I've made that drive at least 50++ times. Had you been a bit more mature and inquired why I don't care to drive through Alabama, I wouldh've gladly told you. However, since you chose to call me a dirtbag for making the comment, and your acting like a childish dumbass, I will not flesh out my comment. That you found you needed to post a comment about a flip comment, makes you a complete fool in my book.

AND, the two times a year I see my dentist for cleanings is enjoyable to me, he is a superb dentist and a fun guy. If you don't like what I post TOUGH SH%T...don't read my posts!

For those who post here regularly...

Youk is clearly gone, I don't think he gets brought back out onto the field by the manager and his nametag removed if the deal is all but complete. I suspect tomorrow's sports news will tell us he's been traded.

I would have preferred they kept him around for when the inevitable injuries strike to Middlebrooks and others, , but I can understand his desire to play somewhere every day.

There was a rumor also of some clubhouse friction between him and Valentine, although it was not apparent today.

Anyone know anything about the guys they got for him? i heard it was a couple minor leaguers.
    Capecards
    YOUKILIS OFFICIALLY GONE TO THE WHITE SOX

See ESPN sports for full story.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    and...we got nothing for him PATHETIC
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I love Youk and I'll remember him fondly, but I don't think we got "nothing" for him. I think it's really a case of addition by subtraction.

<< <i>I love Youk and I'll remember him fondly, but I don't think we got "nothing" for him. I think it's really a case of addition by subtraction. >>

100% agreed, his time has come and gone in a Sox uni. Bottom line he has brought nothing to the table for a few seasons now, his numbers this year are pathetic.

I only wish we could ship that JD Drew clone Adrian Gonzalez with him.

Eye surgery went well but it will take me a while to get used to my new vision .

I am awaiting the start of tonight's game which I will be viewing through one eye seeing as how the other one has a bandage on it.

We shall see how the team reacts to the Youk trade.

I personally feel it was a good move even though I really liked Youk.

<< <i>Eye surgery went well but it will take me a while to get used to my new vision .

I am awaiting the start of tonight's game which I will be viewing through one eye seeing as how the other one has a bandage on it.

We shall see how the team reacts to the Youk trade.

I personally feel it was a good move even though I really liked Youk. >>

Hey Pitboss, hope the recovery is short. Years ago I had to get metal splinters taken out of both my eyes- because I was an idiot and was grinding rust off of metal trailers and kept taking my goggles off due to sweat and not being able to see...Needless to say the surgery went well however the pain that followed was an absolute nightmare! I had to sit in the basement with my eyes closed for 2 days, any bit of light caused extreme agony image

<< <i>Mcadams...Something wrong with driving through Alabama? I'm not from there, but that was kind of dbag comment.

The comment was pretty much "tongue in cheek", perhaps you know what that means. You ever joke about stuff? I've made that drive at least 50++ times. Had you been a bit more mature and inquired why I don't care to drive through Alabama, I wouldh've gladly told you. However, since you chose to call me a dirtbag for making the comment, and your acting like a childish dumbass, I will not flesh out my comment. That you found you needed to post a comment about a flip comment, makes you a complete fool in my book.

AND, the two times a year I see my dentist for cleanings is enjoyable to me, he is a superb dentist and a fun guy. If you don't like what I post TOUGH SH%T...don't read my posts!

Youk is clearly gone, I don't think he gets brought back out onto the field by the manager and his nametag removed if the deal is all but complete. I suspect tomorrow's sports news will tell us he's been traded. >>

Stay classy, Dbag. Next time, catch a direct flight and don't bother driving through.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Breaking news: No one in Meridian liked you either.

Why are you being so nasty?

It is not needed on this forum.

<< <i>

<< <i>Mcadams...Something wrong with driving through Alabama? I'm not from there, but that was kind of dbag comment.

Youk is clearly gone, I don't think he gets brought back out onto the field by the manager and his nametag removed if the deal is all but complete. I suspect tomorrow's sports news will tell us he's been traded. >>

Stay classy, Dbag. Next time, catch a direct flight and don't bother driving through. >>

mcadams, your a good guy here at CU and I always enjoy your posts. That being said I respectfully got to tell you that you took Als comment out of text I think, who the hell would enjoy driving through any state in 90 degree weather to a wedding they did not want to go to? Tell ya this much I absolutely detest driving into or out of Boston on ANY given day and Im from there, let alone to an event I have no desire for!!

I will speak for the majority of us here that Al is a good guy and he is a friend of mine, hopefully you guys can work this out via PM, the state of the Red Sox is bad enough we dont need any verbal judo here too! image
    Hey McAdams...

I really don't have time for you...you exposed yourself quite nicely to the board members as to your character.
    Marlon Byrd busted for PEDs (Tamoxifen)...50 game suspension. Seems the Red Sox dumped him just in time...the timing is a bit curious. Claims he's "mortified" and was taking drugs because of some previous surgery...sure thing Marlon.

<< <i>Marlon Byrd busted for PEDs (Tamoxifen)...50 game suspension. Seems the Red Sox dumped him just in time...the timing is a bit curious. Claims he's "mortified" and was taking drugs because of some previous surgery...sure thing Marlon. >>

he should just get Ryan Braun's attorney so he can play and juice at the same time.

<< <i>

<< <i>Marlon Byrd busted for PEDs (Tamoxifen)...50 game suspension. Seems the Red Sox dumped him just in time...the timing is a bit curious. Claims he's "mortified" and was taking drugs because of some previous surgery...sure thing Marlon. >>

he should just get Ryan Braun's attorney so he can play and juice at the same time. >>

100% agree
    Did you guys see Obama getting booed by a crowd in Boston when he thanked them for trading Youkilis?

<< <i>Did you guys see Obama getting booed by a crowd in Boston when he thanked them for trading Youkilis? >>

Yeah, he's a big White Sox fan, used to go to "Cominsky Park" (sic) to watch the games. He couldn't name any of their players, but was a big fan.
    Capecards
    and most of that crowd (any crowd in eastern Mass) is comprised of Democrats!
    Au contraire mon ami...

According to the WH mouthpiece (aka Jay Carney), they were all saying "Youk, Youk"...sure thing Jay and it's snowing in Boston.
    It must be snowing here in Albuquerque too, I heard the same report.
    Sox showing some fight tonight...where did this team come from? image
    That was a great game.
    So, as the 2012 awards roll out, I am amazed at the cardboard collections some guys have put together. Congrats to all the winners!!

My Luis Tiant basic set and master set still at #1. Working on Bill Lee, and almost at the top, but those Venezuelan cards (with high values) are tough to come by. Will probably donate these to somebody connected to the Jimmy Fund to be auctioned off. I suspect some Red Sox fan would like to have the sets...really can't be beat on the Tiant stuff, as I have a few 1 of 1s in the mix. I think the Jimmy Fund is perhaps the best home for these things at some point, have nobody to leave this stuff to that would remotely appreciate the time and effort to put the sets together.

Let's hope the Sox can continue to roll...big opportunity on the West coast, let's see if they can capitalize on momentum.
    plenty of hitting today. Ortiz at 399 now. Those ten PM eastern time starts are a bear to watch much past the fifth inning.
    Not for me here in Albuquerque.

Yankees won again, sort of, Pettite and CC both on DL.
    Oh no, say it ain't so, Lackey could be back pitching for the Red Sox before the season is over!

<< <i>Oh no, say it ain't so, Lackey could be back pitching for the Red Sox before the season is over! >>

Matsuzaka made it back from TJS quickly...just short of a year, I think. I say no way Lacking makes it back during this season. He'd have to set some sort of record for recovery and rehab. Unless he's gone and actually done a sit-up or push-up or even pushed away the chicken, I don't think he's a picture of fitness, so do not expect to see him in a Sox game in 2012
    Not for me here in Albuquerque.

Due to recent MLB/Player's Union/Directv agreements, all viewers living west of the Mississippi, will have all west coast games televised beginning at 10:30PM local time. image
    We're almost halfway through the season and the team is now 40-35. There have been plenty of injuries to key players, role changes, drama, etc. So, I'm curious, what are your opinions on Bobby Valentine? Are you happy with him as a manager? Do you like the way he responsds to the media?

<< <i>Not for me here in Albuquerque.

Due to recent MLB/Player's Union/Directv agreements, all viewers living west of the Mississippi, will have all west coast games televised beginning at 10:30PM local time. image >>

This was an old joke from last year. (ha ha)

<< <i>We're almost halfway through the season and the team is now 40-35. There have been plenty of injuries to key players, role changes, drama, etc. So, I'm curious, what are your opinions on Bobby Valentine? Are you happy with him as a manager? Do you like the way he responsds to the media? >>

I am very happy with Bobby. This is exactly what these spoiled brats need.

<< <i>

<< <i>We're almost halfway through the season and the team is now 40-35. There have been plenty of injuries to key players, role changes, drama, etc. So, I'm curious, what are your opinions on Bobby Valentine? Are you happy with him as a manager? Do you like the way he responsds to the media? >>

I am very happy with Bobby. This is exactly what these spoiled brats need. >>

Totally agree!
    I don't get to see the after game interviews as some do who get NESN broadcasts. Overall I think he's doing pretty good and taking a no nonesense approach to the game.

Yeah, Steve, it's a rerun, but, what the heck, by the time the 5th inning rolls around I'll be gone. Enjoy the game.
    Glad I didn't stay up to watch that loser...a paltry 1-0 !! And that in the 9th inning. Did they lose their bats??
    The answer to that is Hernandez. He was great!
    I guess Hernandez was really hot last night...13 Ks!!

Speaking of hot, Atlanta hitting 105 today with high humidity...107 tomorrow...all records. Gotta feel for those who don't have AC, BRUTAL heat.
    It.s been around 100 here all week. The swamp cooler is running full time and keeping up with it though.
    A nice win for the Red Sox last night...although I only got to inning 4. Must be demoralizing for the home team to get less than 50% attendance. The Red Sox are chipping away and in the middle of the pack...a nice string of wins would certainly help the situation.

Brutal heat remains embedded here. News is showing people without AC...kinda sadistic IMO.

Do any of you guys have these people along the sidewalks in front of the "We buy Gold" places? I've noticed a couple here as I travel around, one guy is actually dressed in a yellow chicken suit...I'll bet it is searing hot inside that thing. They kinda wave a sign with arrows, supposedly directing you to the store. Great advertisement for why you should go to college and have a real job. Hit 104, today up to 107...nasty stuff. I'm very fortunate to have a super AC unit and keep it right at 71...a few large oaks help shelter me from the western sun.

C'mon Fall !!!! But a long, long way to go yet.
    What are you going to do with the starting rotation and outfield?

Cook and Moralles are tearing it up.

Do we trade them or someone else?

I say get rid of Lester and Dice k first.

What about Lester, Dice K, and either Kalish or Ellsbury for Hernandez?

What are your thoughts?
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    I am a lifelong fan of the Mariners, and all the people thinking the M's will trade Felix are nuts. Just because they stink now, doesn't mean they will trade him for someone else's overpriced and overrated trash. Dice K? Really? Talking about trading Felix now is comparable to someone suggesting back in '95 or '96 that they get rid of Grif.

If Felix had some damn offense, I'd like to see what his record would be...ugh ugh UGH.

<< <i>I am a lifelong fan of the Mariners, and all the people thinking the M's will trade Felix are nuts. Just because they stink now, doesn't mean they will trade him for someone else's overpriced and overrated trash. Dice K? Really? Talking about trading Felix now is comparable to someone suggesting back in '95 or '96 that they get rid of Grif.

If Felix had some damn offense, I'd like to see what his record would be...ugh ugh UGH. >>

Just think of what he could do with the Red Sox. A little sacrifice on the Mariners part and they could get some decent players and their team would benefit as well as be able to see king Felix win a ton of games.
    They made one move that was expected by releasing Mc Donald.

<< <i>They made one move that was expected by releasing Mc Donald. >>

good guy, average player.