Home Sports Talk
Options

Ok, he's gone, where do we go from here?

Comments

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    It just seems like all the Red Sox pitchers have trouble in the 1st inning.

Something is wrong there with the way they are warming up to cause them all to be doing this.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I did state earlier that I was finished posting for the remainder of the season...I came across this and only post it for those who may not have seen it. Indeed my last post.
    This on the eve of the return of Youkilis...we've lost a key piece of the puzzle when Red Sox Nation lost him. Classy, very, very classy!!

Kevin Youkilis' letter to Red Sox Nation

July, 15, 2012

By ESPNBoston.com

On the eve of his first game at Fenway Park since being traded to the White Sox, former Red Sox infielder Kevin Youkilis asked ESPNBoston.com to pass along this letter to Red Sox fans (Editor's note -- there was a technical problem when this was posted initially, and the letter wasn't there. We apologize for that):

AP Photo/Michael DwyerKevin YOukilis tipped his helmet to the fans as he came off the Fenway field for the last time in a Red Sox uniform.

What an amazing run I have had these past 8 1/2 years in Boston!

It has been an honor and a privilege to play every home game of my career in Boston before a sold out Fenway Park. I would like to thank everyone who gave me an opportunity in Boston, and stood behind me through all these years. To the Spinners, the Sea Dogs, the PawSox, and to all those teammates on the Red Sox since 2004, I am forever grateful.

I want to thank the Red Sox ownership for all the hard work and dedication to making the Red Sox and Fenway Park a special place to play. They have always supported me on the field, and have helped out in many ways off the field. I can't thank them enough for my time in Boston.

To Terry Francona, who led us to 2 World Series championships in 2004 and 2007, I thank you for your support and personal guidance through my career with the Red Sox. I thank you for being there for me not just as a manager but as a friend off the field. Thank you for the opportunity to play in 3 All-Star Games, winning 2 World Series, winning the Hank Aaron Award and a Gold Glove. I could have never accomplished all this without all my great teammates and coaches who made me a better player.

I want to thank my parents and brothers for all their support from the day I got drafted. Without my Dad's hard work building that batting cage, and my Mom tirelessly schlepping me around to all my games, I would never have lived my dreams in Boston. I want to thank my beautiful wife Julie and all her family for all their support. We will always cherish Boston since it was the city in which we met and married.

I also want to thank all the philanthropic people around New England and across the country who supported my charity in the past and continue to support Youk’s Kids. Since its inception, we have raised over $3 million to support the neediest of children in Red Sox Nation. While my days of playing for the Red Sox have ended, I am still committed to serving the New England area through my charity. I thank all the charity’s sponsors for all they have done, and their continued support going forward.

And, last but no means least, to all the Red Sox Nation, the home of the most dedicated and knowledgeable fans in baseball, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. That final game at Fenway was the most emotional day of my life on the baseball field. It could not have been scripted any better. And to all those kids out there in Red Sox Nation, I can give you my Dad’s advice. “Life is like a throw to first base, always aim high.”

I love you all, and thanks,

Kevin Youkilis
  • Options
    Thank you for posting the letter, I had not seen it and please hang around to see what the results are for the season.

I know its hard but we as loyal lifetime followers have seen worse seasons.

I remember going to games in the late 50's where you could take your pick of seats because they stunk so bad nobody wanted to go.

I was there then and will continue to watch them no matter how much it hurts.

I consider myself fortunate to be able to see so many games now even though I live in Albuquerque.

I remember listening to games where you waited for teletype feeds to tell you what was going on.

So believe me I know the frustration.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Very cool letter. There are a lot of athletes that leave cities to go elsewhere that could learn a good lesson from reading that. A tip of my Rangers cap to Youkillis.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Agreed. Very classy of Youk. He'll always be a Red Sox in my heart.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that letter comes as a suprise to me and I shamefully need to rethink my feelings I had about Youk the past few seasons.

Thanks for posting that.

• Options
    Big mistake putting Morrales back in the bullpen.

***************MOVE LESTER!*************

HE IS TOAST.
  • Options
    I am more concerned about Lester's performance this year than anyone else on the team. Just think how much better the team record would be if Lester was pitching like the Lester of old.
  • Options
    It started last year and has only gotten worse this year.

I say trade him now while you can get something for him.

That is if you can find someone that wants him.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Being a New York fan, the Red Sox are not actually at the top of my list (LOL) ... That being said, I salute Youk for that well written and heartfelt letter. LOTS of players can learn from that letter. Good luck with your playing days in Chicago.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Not bad, 3 out of 4 vs white sox.

Lineup looks great!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not bad, 3 out of 4 vs white sox. >>

The Detroit Tigers send their love. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Not bad, 3 out of 4 vs white sox. >>

The Detroit Tigers send their love. MJ >>

Their turn is coming!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    broken record, I know...but can the Sox please lose Beckett?
  • Options
    Is there any truth to the rumors about the Sox dealing Crawford to Miami for Hanley Ramirez? Im not a huge Hanley fan as I think he is highly overated but Id take my chances by getting rid of Crawford.
  • Options

<< <i>broken record, I know...but can the Sox please lose Beckett? >>

And make sure Lester is holding his hand when they leave.
  • Options

<< <i>Is there any truth to the rumors about the Sox dealing Crawford to Miami for Hanley Ramirez? Im not a huge Hanley fan as I think he is highly overated but Id take my chances by getting rid of Crawford. >>

the trades that happen are typically the ones we never hear about in advance. Any rumor to the effect of Ramirez and Reyes for Crawford and whomever sound like pure fiction created by a so-called sportswriter who just needed to make a deadline with some "news"
  • Options
    SELL SELL SSELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL SELL!!!

Sell if you can find some sucker to buy some of their sorry a$$e$.

That was one of the worst games they have played this year.
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,445 ✭✭
    Anybody out there have a fork I can stab into the Red Sox? Wow, can it get any worse? Two more with the Rangers then onto the Bronx - probably to (at best) loose 2 of 3 then to home to get Detroit. I'm normally optimistic - but they are done. Don't start buying at the trade deadline to give some false hope – there is no way you compete this year. Not with these injuries, lackluster attitudes, pitchers, defense and overall lack of production. Sell while you can - not that anyone whose contract you want to dump has any value - but sell, sell, sell!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Maybe if I change the title of the thread Beckett and Lester will remember how to pitch.
  • Options
    So much hype and hope in the Winter has clearly turned into a dismal failure in the Summer. Too many players just mailing it in, so obvious it's painful to witness. Been watching and cheering for the Red Sox since the early 50s...this is about as bad as it gets. So, to honor their stellar performance and the Grand Slam last night that was, in essence, the cherry on the cake. I leave you with the great memories of Dandy Don...

Turn out the lights
    The party's over.
    They say that
    all good things must end.
    Let's call it a night,
    the party's over
    and tomorrow starts
    the same old thing again

• Options
    Just a case of wait till next ye--, oh, maybe it's next century if they don't get the front office straightened out. Too many chiefs and not enough indians. They could not get it together on who should be the manager, pitching coach, or anything else. The owner is at fault for letting this happen. I would not be a general manager if I did not run the team the way I wanted which he was not allowed to do. The manager was not his choice and it went downhill from there.
  • Options
    The bottom line is we have been very unlucky with our free agent signings, Crawford, Lackey to name 2 of the biggest jokes we have ever signed. Honestly the only way to get the BS squared away in MLB is to do away with these stupid garunteed contracts, Im talking the Owners and the commisioner taking a hard stance and let the players go on strike for as long as it takes, Im talking several godam years if neccesary. These greedy good for nothing guys will eventually cave in to not being employed. There is absolutely ZERO fvcking sense in giving these guys over a hundred million dollars in garunteed money when they have no reason to perform to expectations of the money they are handed because they ARE PAID REGARDLESS! It makes me sick thinking about it, I mean we are at the norm now of 1 hundred million dollars + being the going rate for a supposed "Star" player, whats going to be the ceiling? 2, 3, 4 hundred million? Baseball is a complete joke and an utterly disgusting mess. I got another great idea, since congress stuck there nose into the steroid issue why dont they stick there nose into it more and make garunteed contracts illegal???

• Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,445 ✭✭
    What will the pitching line on Lester look like after the game today?

I don't get the game on Fox today - I have the pleasure of watching the Royals & Mariners - if I watch at all - which I probably won’t.

My guess is good ole' Lestah follows suit with the rest of the Sox pitchers lately and gives up another crooked number in the first and doesn't see the end of the 6th inning - yea, I am an optimistic Sox fan.
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Well, Monday, you have the weak Tigers coming to town. Oh, did I say Monday? Don't mean to be a racist. I really gotta watch myself.
  • Options
    I don't know why Monday is racist, I thought it was just a day of the week.

I guess I am just stupid.
  • Options
    Is it too much to see a glimmer of hope on the horizon.
  • Options
    I may be the fool among this group, but I still feel optimistic about our chances.
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Well, after tonight's sweep, you should be well on your way. I knew the Tigers would spread the love to ya!! I knew this series would turn the Sox from sellers to contenders.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    bump image
  • Options
    Well funny this thread is bumped because I actually watched the 2004 ALCS on a documentory on netflix. Pretty dam good to reminice image

Those were good times

• Options
    Just wait til next year, Lackluster will be back.
  • Options
    Biggest mistake the Red Sox management made was to hire Valentine. His comment early on about Youk kinda set the tone and I think the players resented it. Then the big meeting the team had with ownership pretty much tells how the clubhouse is going. This and an overwhelming number of DLs just killed the year. I think just a few players were really playing their hearts out, but others looked to me like they were just going through the motions. Too much money wasted on non-performers...you know who they are. After tonight they'll be 13.5 back, and the hole is just too deep. How many RISP that got stranded??? Too many!!

On a more humorous note...my granddaughter begins day one tomorrow at Ole Miss. During a recent orientation, she snapped a pic of a frat house that had a huge white sheet hanging off the top floor that said:
    Honk if you just dropped off your daughter. And, as the story goes, Ole Miss has a moto..."we don't win many football games, but we never lose a party". She's a good kid, hopefully she'll stay on track.

Just not our year guys...GO PATS!!!
  • Options
    This is just beautiful, Crawford more than likely going for Tommy John surgery this week. What a joke
  • Options
    I've lost my optimism now and I don't even like this team much right now.
  • Options

<< <i>I've lost my optimism now and I don't even like this team much right now. >>

Nor do I, I actually hope they lose every game from here on out just so they can make 100% fools out of themselves.

A bunch of no good frauds every one of them.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Biggest mistake the Red Sox management made was to hire Valentine. His comment early on about Youk kinda set the tone and I think the players resented it. Then the big meeting the team had with ownership pretty much tells how the clubhouse is going. This and an overwhelming number of DLs just killed the year. I think just a few players were really playing their hearts out, but others looked to me like they were just going through the motions. Too much money wasted on non-performers...you know who they are. After tonight they'll be 13.5 back, and the hole is just too deep. How many RISP that got stranded??? Too many!!

>>

I'm the EXACT opposite of a Valentine fan, but he's exactly what this team needed - someone who didn't give two sh!ts about what the vets FELT they were entitled to. Leaders don't say "that's not how we do it here" when what they've been doing has been failing. I think ownership knew exactly what they were doing in trying to shake things up, and probably used BobbyV as a sacrificial lamb to do it.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Biggest mistake the Red Sox management made was to hire Valentine. His comment early on about Youk kinda set the tone and I think the players resented it. Then the big meeting the team had with ownership pretty much tells how the clubhouse is going. This and an overwhelming number of DLs just killed the year. I think just a few players were really playing their hearts out, but others looked to me like they were just going through the motions. Too much money wasted on non-performers...you know who they are. After tonight they'll be 13.5 back, and the hole is just too deep. How many RISP that got stranded??? Too many!!

>>

I'm the EXACT opposite of a Valentine fan, but he's exactly what this team needed - someone who didn't give two sh!ts about what the vets FELT they were entitled to. Leaders don't say "that's not how we do it here" when what they've been doing has been failing. I think ownership knew exactly what they were doing in trying to shake things up, and probably used BobbyV as a sacrificial lamb to do it. >>

Well said, and I 100% agree with you.

The reason these guys are so upset over Francona being gone is they cant do whatever the F they want nothing more and nothing less.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Red Sox have become the Yankees of the mid 2000's -- bunch of overpaid, undermotivated hired guns. After watching "Moneyball" for the second time, I would like to see what Billy Beane could do with a high payroll.

Hell, a chimp could put together a .500 team with a $190 million payroll. (now I sound like a Yankees fan from the mid-2000s) image
  • Options

<< <i>This is just beautiful, Crawford more than likely going for Tommy John surgery this week. What a joke >>

surprisingly, he is one of the few Sox that has been playing well recently. No loss. No loss if the whole team got TJ surgery tomorrow for that matter.
  • Options
    They dide fire the hitting coach. Its about time.

He never fit in the picture.

It is dumb to hire a pitching coach without the manager approving of him.
  • Options
    I'm the EXACT opposite of a Valentine fan, but he's exactly what this team needed - someone who didn't give two sh!ts about what the vets FELT they were entitled to. Leaders don't say "that's not how we do it here" when what they've been doing has been failing. I think ownership knew exactly what they were doing in trying to shake things up, and probably used BobbyV as a sacrificial lamb to do it.

I completely disagree. Clearly new management was needed, as it is generally agreed that Tito let the inmates run the asylum...However, great leaders lead, NOT create dissension and a lack of "esprit de corps". I would find it hard to believe that John Henry etal would hire Valentine just to kick ass, piss a lot of players off and use Valentine as a sacrifical lamb. Why would they do that? Why would they endanger the season with that kinda managerial style. They needed a steady hand on the tiller, not Atilla the Hun...clearly that style would lead to a basic mutiny and lackluster play, which we've all witnessed. 13.5 out and sinking like a stone.

True, many of the Red Sox players act like prima donnas...well, they are very young multi-millionaires, who are getting their coin no matter what happens. They have incredible egos that need to be dealt with, not just have somebody just roll in who didn't give two sh$ts about the Vets concerns, lacks a clear vision for team spirit and a cohesive playing attitude. You can't tell them it's "my way or the highway", not gonna work.
    As for Pedroia's comments, who really knew the impact Valentine's comments about Youk (so early on in his tenure) set the tone for the season. Better Valentine had just shut up, or spoken to Youk in private...once that got out, it started to slowly, but steadily go down hill. And who said Pedroia was the "leader", a much over-used term in pro sports...the guy simply made a comment. If he were the "leader", put the "C" on his uniform and let him be the captain...I think the guy just spoke up about Valentine trashing Youk, and, IMO, Valentine was way out of line.

I would have thought a Joe Torre type wouldh've much better fit the bill. Perhaps if John Farrell had been available he might have been the best choice of all. For sure, it ain't Valentine, he set a course that has obviously led to failure. When you have 2/3 of the team complaining to management in mid-July over his managerial "style" something has to be amiss, all the complaints can't be false.

I still stay Valentine was the wrong choice, and although he has a year left, I suspect that the boo-birds in Fenway will impact the 3 top guys and a move will be made. Valentine, like this season is TOAST. Told you guys in late June the season was a bust and so is Valentine. The Red Sox players are not like a military platoon where you can rant, rave, demand or whatever, you have to have the right skills to get the best out of your players, and Bobby Valentine's style ain't getting it done. Listen to the upcoming boos, for surely they will be coming!!
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Today's MLB players don't respond well to guys like Valentine, and by "guys like Valentine", I mean self-promoting egotists that think they are smarter than everyone else.

What nobody can seem to answer for me is, if Valentine was such a GREAT MANAGER, then why was his last MLB gig over a decade ago??? If he was so great, surely some other team would already have employed him these last 10 years, right?

The thing that pisses me off about the Sox organization right now is that they did absolutely NOTHING either this season or at the trade deadline when it was obvious they weren't contenders. I have no idea what they are afraid of. They should have packaged Ellsbury with either Beckett of Lester, and sent him off. They are living in fantasy land if they think Ellsbury is signing here as a free agent.

Also, they need to stop the charade of the consecutive sell-out streak. They are going to look like even bigger idiots when they keep promoting the streak and the ballpark is half empty for those mid-week games in September.
  • Options

<< <i>Today's MLB players don't respond well to guys like Valentine, and by "guys like Valentine", I mean self-promoting egotists that think they are smarter than everyone else.

What nobody can seem to answer for me is, if Valentine was such a GREAT MANAGER, then why was his last MLB gig over a decade ago??? If he was so great, surely some other team would already have employed him these last 10 years, right?

The thing that pisses me off about the Sox organization right now is that they did absolutely NOTHING either this season or at the trade deadline when it was obvious they weren't contenders. I have no idea what they are afraid of. They should have packaged Ellsbury with either Beckett of Lester, and sent him off. They are living in fantasy land if they think Ellsbury is signing here as a free agent.

Also, they need to stop the charade of the consecutive sell-out streak. They are going to look like even bigger idiots when they keep promoting the streak and the ballpark is half empty for those mid-week games in September. >>

some random comments based on your post:

-really, how many "great" managers are there? LaRussa, Cox, Torre? Others? I think there aren't great people out there, so teams look for useful managers.
    -the Sox hired Valentine, but didn't let him pick his coaching staff. What kind of respect or authority does that convey? To me, not much.
    -I think sitting at the trade deadline was a good idea. They were not and have not been contenders for about a year now. They would have had to sell low for their "tradeable" people like Ellsbury and others. Wait until November for that
    -Same thing with pitchers. Those guys have stunk up the house for a year. Selling at the trade deadline would not return much. Let the guys maybe have a few good September starts, giving others reason to ponder a trade.
    -Totally agree about the sellout streak. It is bogus and they need to let it go.
    -Lucchino absolutely has to go. Henry needs to give Cherington control of baseball operations. He too is a puppet just like Valentine. No organization works well under those conditions.
    -If given the reins, I would hope that Cherington treat everyone in the organization except for the very young and full of potential folks (like Middlebrooks, Iglesias, and hey, maybe even Andrew Miller) as expendable.
    -I can accept a rebuilding year if the Sox get their "stuff" together.
  • Options
    Valentine, who previously managed in Japan, said of Youkilis on Sunday morning on WHDH TV, "I don't think he is as physically or emotionally into the game as he has been in the past for some reason."

Well, Mr. Great manager...guess who got a grand slam last night against the Yankees? Youkilis has been on fire for the White Sox, one of several doofus moves by the inept front office. The above statement, IMO, set the tone in the clubhouse and the slow but steady decline of this season's performance.

Clue to John Henry...go beg Joe Torre to manage your team.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Valentine, who previously managed in Japan, said of Youkilis on Sunday morning on WHDH TV, "I don't think he is as physically or emotionally into the game as he has been in the past for some reason."

Well, Mr. Great manager...guess who got a grand slam last night against the Yankees? Youkilis has been on fire for the White Sox, one of several doofus moves by the inept front office. The above statement, IMO, set the tone in the clubhouse and the slow but steady decline of this season's performance.

Clue to John Henry...go beg Joe Torre to manage your team. >>

Or, the trade got Youk back "into the game". Sports are littered with "change of scenery" stories of guys getting traded/released/etc and catching fire.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    and now it's time for some football. Go Patriots!
  • Options
    when Valentine made the statement, he was 100% correct. Youkilis has always been a fan favorite and an upstanding citizen, but he wasn't performing and wasn't having too much of a problem with his lack of performance. Perhaps he recognized he was surrounded by fellow nonperformers so he didn't feel so bad about it. Change of scenery would help others too, like new-to-the-waiver-wire Beckett or maybe even Lester, Ellsbury, and others.
  • Options
    Maybe they can get rid of Beckett by offering Ellsbury along with him but with the way he is hitting I doubt it.
  • Options
    P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C. When they get pitching there is no hitting, when they get hitting there is no pitching. I am sure glad the season is almost over.